Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 4

Replies

• Avery_Illson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm fairly new to 3D modeling and stuff but this looks awesome so far! I won't participate in this months challenge but looking through this stuff has given me the motivation to participate in the next one! I do see some things that I have questions about, but I will just DM those so it doesn't crowd up the thread. Good work guys, it looks great!
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Hey guys, lots of amazing looking work in here already :D I'm starting to think that I'm not gonna be able to get this done by the end of february as I just can't make enough time to work on it but I can carry on after anyways, I've managed to spend a couple of evenings this week on the highpoly for my vault/door thing. Ignore the frame itself I've just been polishing that when i start to procrastinate a little so i'll be doing that properly at some point, i'll try and work on it in my lunch breaks.

0ltZlod.jpg
  • FactoriesBurning
    What are you implying? :D

he's implying that my stuff looks like crap and I need to sculpt my way to success. really trying to avoid pirating zbrush for these types of projects. I at least have mudbox on an educational license. I feel like a chef in a completely foreign kitchen when I try to use mudbox.
  • FactoriesBurning
    k21n wrote: »
    progress2.jpg

you might want to break up your moss borders. moss doesn't grow that evenly between cracks unless it's grown there intentionally.

stock-photo-the-old-scorched-tree-in-cracks-the-green-moss-has-grown-1022268.jpg
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    Buzzcore: You're welcome ;)

Brygelsmack : I had explained it already, in previous posts.

I use the Orb Cracks brush (thanks to him btw)
    I add imperfections with clytubes on the cracks ledges
    Use the pinch brush to pinch.... ^^

Mathew O : very pretty door !!

I did a little mayan statue in order to replace those who look like monkeys near stairs.

mayanstatueu.jpgmayanstatue02.jpg
    mayanstatue03.jpg
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Pieru wrote: »
    Brygelsmack : I had explained it already, in previous posts.

I use the Orb Cracks brush (thanks to him btw)
    I add imperfections with clytubes on the cracks ledges
    Use the pinch brush to pinch.... ^^
    Aw, dammit. I suck at Zbrush. But thanks for the info! Great work you got there.
  • Johan3043
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been doing some work on the pool frame. WIP tho, as u can see not all the stones have details on em yet etc. All the inner stones are done tho!

poolframewip.jpg

poolframewip2.jpg
  • Maxram0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, first off, awesome thread, discovered it earlier today, looks like a lot of fun so I'm giving it a try, despite the name of the challenge, you guys and spitting out pro level work, so, great job! I'll try to rise to that level, but this will be the first environment modelling I do in like 5 years (or any significant modelling). Anyway, here is my environmental breakdown based on Chris Albelihm tutorial provided by Rockguy, so thanks! and I also studied how all of you did the breakdown, and did one that clears it up for myself:
    environmentbreakdown_zpsec87f9ee.jpg
    I decided to dab in UDK, and gotta say, I am an amateur, or to better fit this challenge, a noob! so for the next week, I wont be sleeping to catch up to you lot in UDK knowledge, but I did a blockout, I don't seem to have too much problem with shape, just everything else in this engine!
    sofar6_zps55a66e09.jpg
    I tried to get the perspective angle almost the same as the concept, but it's not exact, in doing so, I realized how bad I am at this, if this was 3DS max, I'd know how to make a camera exactly where I left the current perspective view at and freeze it, but this is UDK, so is there a wonderful way where I can put a camera actor exactly where the current perspective point is? because I don't really want to look for this angle again, thanks :)

so my question is to anyone who can help, how do I place a camera actor in UDK at the exact view my current perspective viewport is at?
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Well one thing that's helpful is if you hit Ctrl + any number. Then next time you hit that number it will bring you back to that spot. Then you can hotkey multiple areas of your map and it will make working on different areas at once faster :D
  • Ruebe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pieru - That´s some cool looking statue, love the splashes of gold.
  • Parth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parth polycounter lvl 10
    Mathew O wrote: »
    Hey guys, lots of amazing looking work in here already :D I'm starting to think that I'm not gonna be able to get this done by the end of february as I just can't make enough time to work on it but I can carry on after anyways, I've managed to spend a couple of evenings this week on the highpoly for my vault/door thing. Ignore the frame itself I've just been polishing that when i start to procrastinate a little so i'll be doing that properly at some point, i'll try and work on it in my lunch breaks.

0ltZlod.jpg

How did you render that?
  • Maxram0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well one thing that's helpful is if you hit Ctrl + any number. Then next time you hit that number it will bring you back to that spot. Then you can hotkey multiple areas of your map and it will make working on different areas at once faster :D

THANK YOU!!! that's even better! you're a life saver :)
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    he's implying that my stuff looks like crap and I need to sculpt my way to success. really trying to avoid pirating zbrush for these types of projects. I at least have mudbox on an educational license. I feel like a chef in a completely foreign kitchen when I try to use mudbox.

There is no need for pirating anything, you can always download the free version called Sculptris from Zbrushs website. It's more simple but also easier to get into.
  • EddieG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I lied to myself and went back to change the column. Anyway let me know what you guys think. Thank you
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Going with a overgrown look. If you can tell from the bottom trim its also Zelda themed.

yRh1wEx.jpg
  • FactoriesBurning
    McGreed wrote: »
    There is no need for pirating anything, you can always download the free version called Sculptris from Zbrushs website. It's more simple but also easier to get into.

I have alot of issues getting used to Sculptris. I find it very limiting.

getting used to mudbox though. made a sculpt of some various tiles I can use for an atlas on various surfaces.

screenshot20130218at101.png
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Spent all day getting the wall hammered out. Adjusted the color of my floor tiles, they were way too red and saturated... but now they don't match the wall so I'll need to tweak that too. Need to fix a seam and replace the center cross-shaped brick with another one that doesn't repeat so obviously. That entails re-baking out my maps in zbrush. -_- Also need to fix the too-intense spec on some of the trims.

Getting that problem with the spec looking weird on rotated parts, suppose I'll troubleshoot that later. (The water is a placeholder)

wallmk.jpg

wall2ht.jpg
  • StormHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormHertz polycounter lvl 8
    @sybrix I'm not participating in this challenge anymore due to time reasons, but I figured I'd stick around and throw some help in every now and then. If you're talking about uneven/weird lighting on rotated modular pieces in UDK, that's an unsolved bug with the way UDK does it's lighting. The only two workarounds at the moment (from what I've read) is either to put all of the parts of your scene together inside your 3D Modeling program, and then import that whole thing into UDK. Or, you would have to make 4 different variants of each of your modular assets, each rotated 90 degrees from each other.

If none of those work, then I'm not sure what else would. I personally find the way UDK and UE3 does lighting very clunky, buggy, and unsatisfactory.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Progress so far

Wall, Floor, and Centerpiece are just Normals and (harsh, unedited) AO.

Still much to do!

u5so91p.jpg

kMeNbB8.png

b8CLVSO.png
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    i am in! :) first modular piece
    mod01.png
  • piko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pieru: Great texturing, and I agree. I do, well did, arch/interior rendering and you only want the color information for the diffuse pass w/o highlights or shadows. Once you add the spec, refl, norm, disp, etc, it looks quite realistic.

@Johan3043: I don't think you have to fully detail each tile. Some should be left with minimal damage to keep the preservation of the floor and the material itself. Try and use some alphas to quickly add detail after sculpting the form.

@Maxram0: Dude, your blockout in UDK is identical. I'm still having issues with mine in 3ds Max. Soon I'll have to figure out what you guys did to make it work.

@EddieG: Dig the base sculpts. The column is kinda small for me to compare clearly.

Hey guys, I'm finally showing some actual work. After blocking out the scene, I began sculpting the poolside tiles. These are all the faces of the 5 tiles I've done. I will begin work on the larger tiles behind these (from reference ) later tonight.

VgQ9FHQ.jpg

p.s. the 2nd and 4th row are longer bcuz snapshots were taken with perspective enabled in zbrush...
  • Nebularium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nebularium polycounter lvl 7
    EddieG wrote: »
    I lied to myself and went back to change the column. Anyway let me know what you guys think. Thank you

Looks good. But if I were you I'd bevel some of the edges on the column, at the moment it looks a bit too blocky, I think it would look nicer with slightly more rounded shapes.
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    Well I am seriously falling behind now, went away for the weekend with the gf. But now applying hardcore mode.

ANYWAY before I left I think I figured out a way around the lighting issues I was having. Within the material for that piece I went to the 'misc' dropdown and unchecked 'allow lightmap specular' . Although I am not 100% if this 'fix' will cause problems further down the line or not, but for now it seems to work a treat. I am looking into another way of doing it without having to rotate floor pieces anyway, just in case
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    nbac wrote: »
    mod01.png

cheers ;)

However, You have a strange straight dark line on your pool's ledge. I don't see anythnig similar on your high poly, so if you baked your normal with differents smoothing groups on your lowest model, ensure you break the UV by smoothnig groups. This method avoid dark lines as you have.
    Another option is to chamfer hard edges and put only one smoothing group on your model. In this case, you can keep your UV islands welded !
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    nbac wrote: »
    mod01.png[IMG][/img]

Needs more abberation, vignette, bloom and lensflare.
  • EddieG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NEBULARIUM, thanks for the feedback. I will chamfer the edges now.
    PIKO after I add more edges to it like Nebulariu suggested. Then I'll post a bigger image of it. Im not sure what negative issues this will bring by adding edges after all the bakes. Maybe none.This noob is about to have a learning experience.Right?
    NBAC, such a huge chunk of a model. A quarter of the pool and floor as a modular piece? I would have thought that would be to much space for texturing. But I really dont know and thats why I bring it up. I looked at all the other posts and it seems everyone else has made smaller modular piece. So my question.. any issues with getting sharpe textures. From the image it doesnt look like it but not sure. Using 1024x1024 or higher?
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5

What do you mean?
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    What do you mean?

He's just trolling him for putting a little love into his marmoset render :P
  • SelwynPhillips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SelwynPhillips polycounter lvl 11
    @nbac: I like the way you've decided to tile your floor :)

I think I'm getting the hang of Zbrush now. Plenty to learn though :) Here's what I got so far...

apologies for the small image :/ I'll upload some better ones later
    tumblr_mihbozS6hZ1rk3q8ho1_500.jpg
  • SelwynPhillips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SelwynPhillips polycounter lvl 11
    tumblr_mihdqdHqGb1qg6hydo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mihdqdHqGb1qg6hydo4_1280.jpg

Work in progress
    tumblr_mihdqdHqGb1qg6hydo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mihdqdHqGb1qg6hydo2_1280.jpg
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a tiling texture.
    I lack time and motivation to finish this in this timeframe so i might give up and maybe try to concentrate on artjams and doing smaller stuff..

challenge_tile.png
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9

yeah i also thought about some nudity or kittens in the picture but i stick to the oldfashioned dof and abberation :P marmoset tempted to use its render presets ;D
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    walreu wrote: »
    I did a tiling texture.
    I lack time and motivation to finish this in this timeframe so i might give up and maybe try to concentrate on artjams and doing smaller stuff..

challenge_tile.png
    Why is there a tile in your tile?
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    Mayan Door done !

Im' not happy with the center head, anw, no time to re-work on it !

doorov.jpg
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    That is one sexy door Pieru!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I solved my issue by turning off local transformations, I'll just leave this post here in case anyone runs into this.

So I was attempting a different sort of workflow using insert multi mesh brushes, and I ran into an issue where when i would try to snap the orientation of the brush it would be rotated at an off angle like below.
    GX65ok8.png
    It also does the same thing with the bricks imm brush that comes with zbrush. Anyone know a fix for this?
  • EddieG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PIERU, that door looks sweeeet. Whats behind that door? Yikes. Nice and subtle with the colors. normals and spec map. Awesome job.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Sweet jesus Pieru, looks killer. How do you do your patterns?
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why is there a tile in your tile?

I have no idea!
    This texture was just product of goofing around in zbrush and ps yesterday morning before going to work.
    But i did try to break the repetition by doing small tweaks to the tiles..
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    very nice work on the door pieru!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Great looking door pieru! Did you sculpt all that detail in or use alphas made in Photoshop?

Re sculpted and textured my pool edge this time adding moss to go with the rest of the scene. r7mPLTE.jpg
    cHLRXso.jpg
  • FactoriesBurning
    Sculpted a new tile piece in mudbox. painted diffuse and spec maps in there as well. made some modular pieces to make up the pool border and floor sections.

screenshot20130218at113.png
    screenshot20130219at112.png
    screenshot20130219at112.pngstonetiles03dif.png
    stonetiles03nrm.png
    stonetiles03spec.png
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    @Pieru: those door look beautifullllllllll, hhhhhooww do you do that ?
  • Ricachay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm i'm currently learning about autodesks Do dads at the moment in college so i'd be a little bit of a novice in this sort of thing hopefully further then the line i can hopefully do that sort of thing. :) ((Also messed with filter forge and blender))
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    Hey thanks folks.

To be honest, I did my patterns with curve shapes in photoshop. Something like 5 or 6 alphas for Zbrush. I have cheated on only one thing, the snake guy in top corners, just because the time is running out...
    so, i googled to found a cool picture and convert it in alph; however, a resolution something like 250*450 is not enough and I had some awful blobby volumes on it, I have sculpted over it and boom ! I grabbed a clean alpha :D
  • snakeeaterjns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks folks.

To be honest, I did my patterns with curve shapes in photoshop. Something like 5 or 6 alphas for Zbrush. I have cheated on only one thing, the snake guy in top corners, just because the time is running out...
    so, i googled to found a cool picture and convert it in alph; however, a resolution something like 250*450 is not enough and I had some awful blobby volumes on it, I have sculpted over it and boom ! I grabbed a clean alpha :D

Nice door. Looks like a ancient Mayan calendar here:

mayan-calendar.jpg

You can share a litle about the texturing workflow?
    Thanks!
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there,
    @ Pieru Nice work, its a good style for this piece. Bonne chance :)

This is part of the wall, theres another similar flat part Ive done also. I wish I couls spend a bit more time on the diffuse and texture but time is running out so I want to move onto the center parts like the door and statues.
    screenwall.png
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    @Kharn: I'm liking the level of detail on that wall section. The relief works on the central column though look odd on the sides. I'm finding the reading of the relief distracts from the silhouette.
  • Arctic Furnace
    Some awesome stuff happening in this thread now which is making me jealous.

I've done a bit more to my scene. Getting behind though now, what with starting a week late.

I'm still not happy with my floor tiles, and my wall needs lightening and finishing off.

capture4j.png

Let me know what you guys think :)

edit:
    Does anyone know how to change the camera fov settings in udk?
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    snakeeaterjns: Indeed, I took the mayan calendar for reference. However I have simplified the patterns

Kharn: Thanks dude, your works are pretty nice too.

Arctic Furnace: Indeed, your floor tiles are worst than your pool's ledges. I think they are too big and the specular is absent.
    Moreover, your walls seems to be too dark. Perhaps it's due to the lighting. May you post your scene in unlit or with more lights ? However you have a good base to work with.

edit:

2nd column:

column02.jpg