Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 4

Replies

• Drachis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drachis polycounter lvl 9
    Its awesome to see all the work being posted, inspired me to see if I can push mine farther.

Got most of the remaining scene blocked in and unwrapped, or in other words, oh noes my 3ds are showing.

noob_challenge_febuary_04.jpg

going to get the plants, roots, and rubble in place a bit last min.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Last update of February. Arranged everything I have so far in UDK with some placeholders. Sculpting the gate right now, using a lot of Indian symbolism, but haven't gotten very far with the sculpt so there isn't much to show.

Going to tone down the green on the walls like Arctic Furnace suggested, it's looking like radioactive slime lol, and need to fix my spec up a bit on my walls.

Definitely going to work on this more until it's done. Haven't worked on lighting at all yet. :\

udk1j.jpg

udk2.jpg
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glass floor was a bit harder than I thought it was going to be but I think I got some thing I'm happy with, any comments?
    GlassFloor.jpg
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    sybrix - Looks quiet good, but dont you think that the moss could be vertex painted? With height map based falloff. Plus i would make a "dirt" channel to paint on it. Check out 3dmotive-s advanced vertex painting lesson dvd. Its really simple, easy to use, and understandable. And it gives a lot to environments, because you can hide the modularity, and you can make it looks more unique, and detailed. Also, try the "Add" node to add little details to your stone textures. It works like, you can plug your original texture to the 1st input, and your "detailmap" to the second with a high tiling. The moss would looks really cool with this :)

Edit: Tiling is controlled by "texture coordinate" node, and you can do that Add thing with your diffuse,spec,and normal too. Good luck, and have fun!

-Sorry for my poor english
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    rockguy wrote: »
    Hey guys , I'm still fixing some assets and textures before final submission and I have a question, does anyone think the roots are too big ?

Thanks for your time, feed back will be more than welcomed.

Note : The pillars still has the old vines model , fixing that right now

roots_too_big_by_rojo3d-d5wfaju.jpg

Rockguy, while you have a lot of things you could do better in this scene, you have really seemed to have grown as an artist over the past few months. It's cool to see and watch you finish these scenes. You could do a few things better but you seem to be catching on a lot, I love the atmosphere of the scene and the overall color composition is significantly better than your last scene. Keep it up. I would just work on trying to break up some of the tile and maybe tone down some of the saturation on the tiles just a tad. Make your water a tad more green, its hard to see. I would try and sculpt your roots and then add a tileable. Remember the more you add to it in terms of breaking up tiling and telling a consistent story the better. Also remove some of the tiles where the roots break through. Maybe some sort of extension of the hole in the roof so it looks like it's maybe underground and light is coming through some sort of metal cover or something, skyrim and oblivion have good examples of this.

For everyone else I think these are going great! I can't wait to see what happens next month!
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme : Good sir thanks for the kind words and also thank you for this challenges.

I was been a bit more negative with my scene since I wont be able to add everything I wanted for the scene , but is nice to read that there's been improvements on my work.

I ended up redoing almost every thing several times during month , no really I have like 4 versions of the walls and floors, mostly caused from fear of not been on par with the rest of you honestly a lot of the work posted here is fucking amazing, so yeah paranoia is bad, lesson learned.

About you critics of the roots and noise textures also the water , as Im typing this Im also working on fixing them , sadly I have less time that I wish I had today to finish the project but I will make the effort.

Thanks for you time man.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockguy wrote: »
    AlexCatMasterSupreme : Good sir thanks for the kind words and also thank you for this challenges.

I was been a bit more negative with my scene since I wont be able to add everything I wanted for the scene , but is nice to read that there's been improvements on my work.

I ended up redoing almost every thing several times during month , no really I have like 4 versions of the walls and floors, mostly caused from fear of not been on par with the rest of you honestly a lot of the work posted here is fucking amazing, so yeah paranoia is bad, lesson learned.

About you critics of the roots and noise textures also the water , as Im typing this Im also working on fixing them , sadly I have less time that I wish I had today to finish the project but I will make the effort.

Thanks for you time man.

What matters is that you see your work needing to be on par, setting standards for your work and knowing what you need to improve the most is always a good thing to do.

All that matters is that you keep at it and finish them, that alone is a great thing if you can consistently do it.
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    sadly I won't be able to show anything near a finished scene by the end of today, but I do plan on carrying this on until it is done. So much learnt from this challenge, and some amazing work on show here... polycount community truly has some incredible talent.
    Anyway here's a screen of my steps, crits welcomed...

148htu1.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan wrote: »
    sadly I won't be able to show anything near a finished scene by the end of today, but I do plan on carrying this on until it is done. So much learnt from this challenge, and some amazing work on show here... polycount community truly has some incredible talent.
    Anyway here's a screen of my steps, crits welcomed...

148htu1.png

It's not bad but I would work on your presentation, that can make an asset look very nice if you put time into it.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    91079427.png
    12591627.png
    35993378.png
    14547319.png

I think I'll wrap this up at that.
    I made the statue different from the concept cause I thought it wasn't that great in terms of its proportions,
    but mine doesn't read well from a distance.
    I don't have time to redo it though.
  • Arctic Furnace
    Wow Frmdbl that looks amazing. So close to the concept art

Here is my progress from tonight:

capture13f.png

a close up on my door which I spent most of my time on tonight, and has been recoloured since:

capture13door.png

I'm hoping to finish everything by the end of sunday.
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final Submission

So is the end of the month wich means I run out of time and also my schedule doesn't allow me to put more work on it, this how far I got.

Good experience with the challenge and everyone posted some amazing stuff , kinda jealous actually.

Thanks for everyone for the feedback and good luck all of you with your scene.

Note: I made model the broken walls for the roots but it doesn't seems to be visible for the renders, bummer.

01_by_rojo3d-d5wjuk7.jpg

02_by_rojo3d-d5wjurx.jpg

03_by_rojo3d-d5wjv2a.jpg
  • Rabant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, there is so much awesome work in this thread. Apparently I am a little more noob then I had originally thought. I didn't get as far as I had hoped this month, however I learned a lot (Mudbox and UDK to be exact) and this is the first piece that I have ever imported into a game engine. So here is what I have come up with. I tried a few different things and I know that some of the normal maps are off and I think that's due the way I manipulated the UV's to try to not have to much repeating. I think I can beat that next time.
    Pool_trim2.jpg
    Pool_trim1.jpg
    Pool_trim3.jpg
  • SomethingFishy
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like 10 hour days and 6 days a week of work got the better of me :C Couldn't finish in time. But! I will wind up finishing this so that's a great plus for my portfolio. Everyone's projects look great! Grats!
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    RogelioD wrote: »
    Looks like 10 hour days and 6 days a week of work got the better of me :C Couldn't finish in time. But! I will wind up finishing this so that's a great plus for my portfolio. Everyone's projects look great! Grats!

Same, except I had time on the weekends but not enough time to start the statue models :(.
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alot of great work guys! Got my computer back up and running, so I will post my end result when I get done with it!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    Curse this short month! ah well here is my finished piece, I'm working on a pdf of my development stuff which I will post later on.
    Challenge_04.jpg
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    great work people!
    there are some pretty good ones!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • rowan89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rowan89 polycounter lvl 7
    Here's how far I got with my attempt. Thanks AlexCatMasterSupreme for putting this challenge on, seeing how other people tackle the different assets is really helpful.

NBC4_RJLG.PNG
  • Kerroh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow. All these progress shots and finished pieces are really beautiful! I'm still new to this website and things as a whole. Hopefully i'll be able to do one of these Noob Challenges eventually. :> So these are made purely on a game engine like UDK? Not Maya or 3Ds or anything?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl wrote: »
    91079427.png
    12591627.png
    35993378.png
    14547319.png

I think I'll wrap this up at that.
    I made the statue different from the concept cause I thought it wasn't that great in terms of its proportions,
    but mine doesn't read well from a distance.
    I don't have time to redo it though.
    Outstanding dude! This came out great...
  • EddieG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not very far but posting what I did get done. Learned a few things and built a Little speed. (a tad) Anyway on to challenge #5.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat wrote: »
    Curse this short month! ah well here is my finished piece, I'm working on a pdf of my development stuff which I will post later on.
    Challenge_04.jpg

Beautiful work! I think a sky of some sort would wrap this up really beautifully and shouldn't take that long to ad!
  • lamar McHaney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    I am still going to be working on this one, I am want to finish this up but it looking good so far guys. Good job
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    still on it and a lot to do.

mod10t.png
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Im probs going to make a noob team for the Escape challenge anyone interested?
  • Arctic Furnace
    Some good looking stuff still happening on here :D

I can finally say that I think I have finished, woohoo, and all before the 31st of february ;) Although I will probably end up tweaking it a bit more for my portfolio.

capture14t.png

I have really enjoyed this challenge and can't wait to get cracking on the next one. Although I think I will have tomorrow off for a rest, haha.

Good luck for the rest of you guys still working on the scene, can't wait to see everyone's finished pieces.
  • EddieG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Arctic, bravo. Nice job.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Some good looking stuff still happening on here :D

I can finally say that I think I have finished, woohoo, and all before the 31st of february ;) Although I will probably end up tweaking it a bit more for my portfolio.

capture14t.png

I have really enjoyed this challenge and can't wait to get cracking on the next one. Although I think I will have tomorrow off for a rest, haha.

Good luck for the rest of you guys still working on the scene, can't wait to see everyone's finished pieces.

But but.. February ended on the 28th...
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on making a cleaned up version that is more modern... Got some better textures going finally as well as the zen garden underneath the glass, gotta make the stones, water, walls, roof, door and center piece still... When I list it like that it seems like a whole lot to do >.>

BetterTextAndStoneGarden.jpg
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    R0gu3 wrote: »
    Still working on making a cleaned up version that is more modern... Got some better textures going finally as well as the zen garden underneath the glass, gotta make the stones, water, walls, roof, door and center piece still... When I list it like that it seems like a whole lot to do >.>

BetterTextAndStoneGarden.jpg

that's definitely an interesting take on the concept. Only thing that I will say is that it seems odd that the pillars would be sitting on top of glass. I would consider making them go through to the ground underneath, or having square stone slabs underneath rather than glass to make it more believable
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan wrote: »
    that's definitely an interesting take on the concept. Only thing that I will say is that it seems odd that the pillars would be sitting on top of glass. I would consider making them go through to the ground underneath, or having square stone slabs underneath rather than glass to make it more believable
    Hey thanks for the feedback! Yeah I agree, I had been pondering on what to do for that one, but I hadn't come up with anything
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    Hey folks! there are great works here :)

I haven't finished my scene yet. anw, i still working on it.
    You can view some WIP pics about my Mayan Room below :)

A lot of things to do....

first01.jpg
    first02.jpg
    first03.jpg
    first04.jpg
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    frmdbl, you really nailed the lighting. Great work!
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
    the concept of this challenge is great! i was watching the thread the whole month and now im finally replying:

pieru, i really like your assets for this scene. however, they don't really work well together, yet in my opinion. overall, the scene seems very noisy. especially the door looks as if it was covered in mud. you could also turn the normal strength on the door a little bit.
    overall you have a lot of high and mid frequency noise on your textures. i think you could reduce that a bit and add some low frequency variation to the scene - possibly with nice vertex painting shader and decals.
    i realy like your water, although i cannot quite make out what it really is i see. i cant really see if it is reflection of the pedestal in the middle, or simply the bottom half of it. if the water would distort the image a little bit by refraction (in case we see the bottom half) or some subtle ripples on the surface (in case we see the reflection) would make that mush better readable.
    also, cant really see if the the uniform green area between the bigger leafs on the water are mossy stones or some kind of plant covering the whole water surface.
    and, lastly, you have some kind of lighting error going on: the bottom of the pillar in the center of the last image does not receive any light, or, if it is in the shadow, does not cast a shadow of its own.

i like this scene already and i think it has potential to get even better.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    The challenge was great - i didnt have the time to participate but i really like the shown progress of you guys!
    I also think, the concept with the "challenge" perspective and some organic forms wasnt that total "noobish" at all - maybe just me ;)

@ frmdbl - great work and more over great lightning!

@ Pieru: you were one of my favorites on this challenge and i really love to see you put a nice scene together.
    I suscribe Walkonsky statement - and i think if you efford a few more hours, it`ll turn out very great. Id like to see more vertrex painting and some noise reduce. As walkonsky said, you can push this scene towards with a better light placement and tweaking. Maybe just me, but i think a dynamic light, like fire, would be really great! (If you dont want to stay 100% with the concept) - the concept shown lightning is also very interesting. For a "forgotten" temple more realistic if there is no fire ;) - its up to you!
    Also some leaf and green organic stuff would break the stoney scene a bit.
    The "white" sky is something that put my point of view out of a realstic temple feeling to something unreal.
    Please push it a bit more ;)

Great work guys, i also know how hard it is to stay with a scene and dont give up.
    Hopefully see ya in the next challenge ;)
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    Hi !
    Thanks for feedback, nevertheless, Like I said, it was a WIP, Ihave a loooot of things to do on it like vertex paint of course, but for make them, I need my second texture for blend, I haven't really worked on the lighting... my pillars do'nt touch the floor, my textures are not tweaked. For the moment I just plug on shader type (with one diffuse / one spec / one normal) on all my assets... no post process, no fog, no FX... maybe you see know why i said "a lot of things to do"?

The goal here was to place all element I have for the moment.

The pre ligthing was done just to test my UV2 for lightmaps (adnd I have some troubles on it... :( )

anw, thanks for crits even if they have no sense for the momeent, they could be helpful later ;)
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    new asset and blockout
    mod12.png
    mod11.png
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol... Us geezers still plugging away at this xD Wont be participating in March's challenge since I still have way too much to finish for this scene.

@nbac Sweet rubble pile! Scene is looking a bit flat though, like normal maps are disabled?

@Pieru Coming together great man! Can't wait to see more from you.

To do:

Dirty up rug
    Fix diff/spec on walls
    Mesh paint actual moss and get rid of nasty painted-in moss
    Lily Pads
    Rubble
    Statues
    Light scene
    Never finish aoiwdhweudghweyfgye

udk4.jpg

udk3.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good guys, come to the new thread! It needs some love!http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117497
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, I was going to start that one next week, or do you want us to post from last months in the new?
  • piko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, great stuff all around guys. I'm with Pieru, nbac, and sybrix on this one, I really like this challenge. I'm working on creating all the high poly content cuz I don't understand how to make the texture sheet from the models yet...

@R0gu3: I don't think they want to see updates from this challenge inside of the new thread. Just keep it all in one place...
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    sybrix wrote: »
    lol... Us geezers still plugging away at this xD Wont be participating in March's challenge since I still have way too much to finish for this scene.

@nbac Sweet rubble pile! Scene is looking a bit flat though, like normal maps are disabled?

yeah there are no normal maps its just a grab from max viewport. diffuse maps and some default lights.
  • Zarakun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zarakun polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, it has been a long time and I know the challenge is over by now but since I continue to work on it (it took me some time to know exactly how I wanted to interpret this scene) and I hope I'll be able to integrate it or some of these assets to a portfolio. Plus for most of these tasks I needed to learn them almost from scratch, but it taught me so many things. If it's correct I'll keep on posting here.

Here are the columns I did for the temple

Colonne01.jpg

Colonne02.jpg

I still have a lot of ideas and improvement so I'll keep on posting my work here.
  • piko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thought I'd at least show something (after opening my big, fat mouth). WIP so far; have to finish detailing all the sides. Final look/color palette I'm going for is on the left...

iHojPU7.jpg
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    i have been asked how i created this
    rubble pile, so i did a quick tutorial

it is a pretty quick and semi automated process.

maybe it is useful to someone else
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    an update too.
    with a lot of placeholders (statue and foliage)
    if you change the height of the pile you can reuse it over and over without an obvious repetition

mod13.png
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zarakun wrote: »

Colonne02.jpg

Those textures are sexy Zarakun! How are you generating them?

Thanks for the tut nbac! I'll have to try that out sometime.