Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 4

Replies

• Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Quick update, its highly unlikely I'll make the deadline as I'm learning UDK at the same time as making it but I'll finish this after the deadline.
    NC_R10_TejayFC.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Next month's concept thread, for all you new people to the challenge. You need to post a concept or vote for one you like that someone else posts for next month's challenge.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1782915#post1782915
  • Arctic Furnace
    Update on my scene as it currently stands.
    capture7k.png

Spent a bit of time of the roof decoration section, although I'm not overly happy with it. I'm not very good at getting clean sharp details in zbrush. Added in the roots and textured the side column.

Still lots to do and not a lot of time left.
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    tileable wall ...

mod03.png
  • Drachis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drachis polycounter lvl 9
    A little progress for today, added the border bricks and carpet, Attempted to make a stone that could light up well, I may of over tiled my stones, thinking about how I can light this to make the stones have varied lightness in engine rather than in texture. I might go with vertex color and adjust my stone up a few values.noob_challenge_febuary_02.png
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    I need some help in creating the lighting, I know its not finished but the lighting lights the entire room up but I want dark shadows behind the pillars like in the concept. Using Cry engine 3 and the regular lighting, no directional lighting in ce3.

NoynItY.jpg
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    I might have figured it out, changed the diffuse color to a darker color and looks better.
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    no progress :/ but i tested props together

mod04.png
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    more elements.

stairs01.jpg

waterlillye.jpg
  • Arctic Furnace
    Spent most of the day working on the statue. I'm not so good at people or clothes sculpting, so was quite a challenge to get something I was happy with

capture9gy.png

Still lots to do unfortunately.
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    very cool stuff i like you skylight design arctic furnace ...
    pieru i am really excited to see your stuff as one piece ...
  • Drachis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drachis polycounter lvl 9
    Finished the first pass on the floor this morning, going to work on the steps and the door next.
    noob_challenge_febuary_03.jpg
  • Coosc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pieru, great models!!! i just had a quick question, do you bake the textures onto the low poly or are you creating them in photoshop?
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Coming along really nice Arctic Furnace. The grunge on the walls are almost perfectly spaced apart and sort of look like stripes and not natural dirt/gunge. Maybe you could do some vertex blending to break up the pattern or something. I'm getting recognizable repetition with my wall too and was thinking of doing vertex painting with a simple moss LERP setup to break it up a bit.

Okay, so I've been busy making a pool corner piece, a quick pillar, redid my wall. Going to focus on the door next. No way I'm getting this done by the 28th, but I hope to get the gateway all done and everything arranged in UDK by the end of the month.

pillars.jpg
  • Arctic Furnace
    nbac wrote: »
    very cool stuff i like you skylight design arctic furnace ...
    pieru i am really excited to see your stuff as one piece ...

Thanks, it was pretty much random doodling in zbrush for that pattern :D and I agree, seeing pieru's work all in one scene is gonna be awesome :poly142:
    sybrix wrote: »
    Coming along really nice Arctic Furnace. The grunge on the walls are almost perfectly spaced apart and sort of look like stripes and not natural dirt/gunge. Maybe you could do some vertex blending to break up the pattern or something. I'm getting recognizable repetition with my wall too and was thinking of doing vertex painting with a simple moss LERP setup to break it up a bit.

Okay, so I've been busy making a pool corner piece, a quick pillar, redid my wall. Going to focus on the door next. No way I'm getting this done by the 28th, but I hope to get the gateway all done and everything arranged in UDK by the end of the month.

pillars.jpg

I'm hoping to get some vertex painting done when I can find a tutorial on how to do it. Never tried it in UDK before, but I think it will be worth while on both the walls and the floor.

I'm going to finish all the assets first and then have a tweaking phase setting up lighting properly and materials.

One thing I've noticed on your walls is that the green is very vibrant, I think it could do with toning down a little bit to make it look more natural
  • EddieG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru wrote: »
    more elements.

stairs01.jpg

waterlillye.jpg

Stairs looks great. Everything looks nice and rounded and I am having trouble modeling and applying textures in order to make things as smooth as yours. I know there's not much more time left but if you do find the time can you please post wire frames? I think it will help me a great deal in understanding what I am doing wrong. Thank you
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff everyone, just wanted to jump in and say that while I enjoy the improvements in models and texture, I find it a shame that lighting is a bit lacking here and there. So I thought I'd give it a go myself in UDK and see how far I could get.

The image below is what I have after 10-15 minutes, it's not really as close as I'd like it to be, but it'll get there once I start actually modelling the assets. So far it's just some BSP and some stock UT models.

The light setup I have is very basic, just a lot of tweaking of the settings.

Here it is:
    test1.png
    test2.png
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welp! Ive come across a huge hurdle. My 560 TI gave out couple days ago, and now my new hardware (Mobo,Graphics card, CPU) causes windows 7 to go ape shit and crash. Im going to be missing the deadline on this challenge for this reason and it aggrivated me. However I do love some of your guys' progress. Keep up the good work everyone! Ill be back for April's challenge!
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    Great work guys!! I have been self teaching more stuff than being able to do much work, but I am still going to post work after the deadline in 2 or 3 posts to avoid posting too much traffic. Just a note on Ddo. I just found out about it, and, why cant we use it? its considered cheating? Looks amazing. I wonder... Is it because it would be too easy to make the materials?
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably because it's not the best way to learn texturing, it's just a tool to speed up your proccess.. at least that's how I see it.
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    Great work guys!! I have been self teaching more stuff than being able to do much work, but I am still going to post work after the deadline in 2 or 3 posts to avoid posting too much traffic. Just a note on Ddo. I just found out about it, and, why cant we use it? its considered cheating? Looks amazing. I wonder... Is it because it would be too easy to make the materials?

Tomm tells the Truth ! dDo may be usefull but it's not the best way to improve your skills in textures !
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I disagree to an extent, I think dDo is a pretty useful way to show you how diffuse, specular and gloss come together to define a material; however I don't think you'll learn as much if you try to get by / come to rely on just using dDo preset material details. So imo, don't avoid dDo, just be aware of what it can SHOW you and take away from it as much knowledge of materials as you can. Even without using detail presets etc it's a good way to quickly get a solid base diffuse/spec/gloss.

Saying avoid dDo because you won't learn how to texture almost sounds similar to saying don't use nDo because you'll neglect learning how to bake. I don't think its as black and white as that.
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks guys. I asked because I knew there was a good reason behind it! I like what Bek says however, but I do not want to get too distracted. I went to the site and I got blown away by this chainsaw tutorial. It looks very complicated, but much faster to make.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    @Osman, I'm really looking forward to how yours turns out. My weakness is definitely lighting so it'll be awesome to see how a pro tackles it :D
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    EddieG wrote: »
    Stairs looks great. Everything looks nice and rounded and I am having trouble modeling and applying textures in order to make things as smooth as yours. I know there's not much more time left but if you do find the time can you please post wire frames? I think it will help me a great deal in understanding what I am doing wrong. Thank you

My Wires are not exeptionals ! I have applied one smoothgroup to all model's polys and I have chamfered every borders. Moreover, I have created some extra slices for the vertex paint in UDK. I think that will be a good deal to have more vertices but a nice smooth look. I will post an exemple later.

The goal is to have less smoothing groups as possible and remove every dark polys effect by chamfering/slicing.

Coosc: I make a polypaint very quickly in Zbrush to have a nice base to work on (generally with pictures). I decrease the oplypaint's opacity around 40 / 50 % in photoshop. Also, I use my AO / Heights / Normals and other pics to concoct what I want.

However, normals and specular (glossiness) are the most important things to me!

Bek: never let scripts do your work unless they are your own scripts or if you have a good understanding about the workflow.

Beginners can't jump over this step.

else scripts will kill your skills gradually... So for beginners it will be better to work without dDo or nDo. however dDo are a nice plugin to speed up your productivity.

Learning > pressing "do it for me" button

edit: exemple on pillar:

pillarbkd.jpg

As you can see, I have applied two smotthing groups on this asset. Why 2 and not 1?

Just because I did'nt see any utility to chamfer the concave parts. I prefer to seperate by parts if I can.
    Extra slices here are for the Vertex paint in UDK
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Re-read why I said dDo shouldn't be completely ignored for fear of 'kill[ing] your skills gradually'. Seeing what dDo does and how it does it is a very cool way as a noob to learn how all the different maps come together to define a material.

Also it's quite silly to discount it as a "do it for me" button and to imply that dDo involves no learning. As long as you're aware dDo isn't a "do it for me" button, as you seem to assume it is [have you used dDo?], you can learn quite a lot as a noob from it. "Hey, I can see here its got the AO and cavity maps I used as input in my diffuse and specular, set as multiply blending mode. I also see that the slider to adjust these layers just affects the opacity - I can do that myself now if I need to".

I'm surprised you're also extending this no-scripts rule to nDo. Do you really think nDo would hamper anyone's learning? This sounds quite strange to me, because where exactly do you draw the line? Is xnormal a hack that noobs should avoid because the won't learn to bake in their own app? Is handplane a hack? This is starting to sound similar to the "3d scans aren't art / are taking our jobs" thread that was around a while back.

Don't discount dDo as merely something that can speed up your workflow, it CAN teach you things too - as long as you're not expecting it to be a replacement for having to learn.
  • fantom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some good stuff going here. Keep it up guys !
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Mathew O wrote: »
    @Osman, I'm really looking forward to how yours turns out. My weakness is definitely lighting so it'll be awesome to see how a pro tackles it :D

I'll probably just try the lighting, unless I find LOTS of time in the next few days :)
  • Esselle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esselle polycounter lvl 10
    Drachis wrote: »
    Finished the first pass on the floor this morning, going to work on the steps and the door next.
    noob_challenge_febuary_03.jpg
    Is it 3d? Nice style, i like it :)
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    Bek wrote: »

You're right, you can learn something but it's only if you dig it ! dDo teaches nothing by default, it's just a plugin... like everything you can click everywhere, move the spinners in any direction and have a cool or a bad result. Here is the trap I think... But if you really try to understand why... it's good ;)

I never said dDo was the Devil... but just be careful

Yes, I have tryed dDo. It just seems to me like an compilation of photoshop scripts.

But probably i'm stupid and it was a coincidence that dDo was forbidden for this challenge.

As you said: 3D scan... do you really think a beginner can use 3D scan directly without any comprehension of anatomy, without any sculpt? It's not about me or my job or any fear I have...

ps: "do it for me" was an exaggeration of course... -_-' but one day.... :D my bad for nDo (few years ago, some trainees want to sell me nDO. "Haw, high poly modeling is boring, I prefer to use nDo to calclate my normals, AO etc... the perfect exemple of lazy guys trapped by plugins) :D
  • SomethingFishy
    Any critiques on how I can push this further?
    week3.JPG
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    I think that I will not complete the scene this thursday. anw, I will keep working on this challenge !

new element: the ceiling's trim

ceilingtrim.jpg
    Any critiques on how I can push this further?
    week3.JPG

You may boost your normals of walls and maybe add moss on floor and walls. because for the moment the walls seem have green ink spots
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys , its been a while, here is what have so far.

highres_screenshot_00024_by_rojo3d-d5w7l75.jpg
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Ignore the assets, just playing around with the lighting.
    prog2.png
    prog3.png

EDIT: and just for fun, some different light setups:

lights2.png
    lights.png
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    osman wrote: »
    lights2.png

This one is very cool :)
  • Esselle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esselle polycounter lvl 10
    This is my humble attempt :poly122:
    2iitpie.jpg
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    osman wrote: »

Killer lighting. Wouldn't expect any less from you :)
  • Arctic Furnace
    Done the steps now, although they are coming out a bit dark with my current lighting setup. Had a go at mesh painting as well on the back wall, hoping to add a mossy/algae texture on top as well. Let me know what you guys think :D

capture10ye.png

Nice lighting osman
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    little update.
    i will try to finish this even after deadline.

mod06.png
    mod07.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    nbac wrote: »
    little update.
    i will try to finish this even after deadline.

mod07.png

I would try and make the scene a little elss noisy, maybe turn down the normal map intensity and break it up with some larger shapes and dirt or moss. Keep it up.
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    yes you are right.
    i think the spec is also making it noisy.
    i have redone the collum
    without normalmaps and spec it is looking less noisy
    mod09.png

mod08.png
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    Not posted in a while so I figured I would upload the door thingy that I have been working on for the past couple of days.

The lighting is still very much WIP which I plan to look at more at a later date, so this is a screen from the mesh preview in UDK
    2r6fpfo.png

No Chance I will get everything done by Thursday but I do plan on carrying on past the deadline. I have learnt so much already, and I'm sure I could learn so much more from getting this finished :D
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Might be able to get the barebones version of that done by thursday but I plan on taking a few more days and really polishing it up.
    nOvCLvl.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Loving those leaves Biofrost!
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most likely not going to finish by tomorrow, however! I really am starting to enjoy this piece so I'll probably finish it by the weekend. Here's my current WIP, loots of texture work to do and I've got to hammer a bunch of it out still. but yeaaahh...

wip.jpg
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've started doing my steps and ended up taking the side bits in a couple of directions.

I've now found myself at a crossroad and I'm really not sure which way to go, so I'm putting it out there if anybody has any suggestions?

a9wcjt.jpg
  • Arctic Furnace
    Played around a bit more with my wall material to add in a moss texture now as well, I think it looks a lot better now than it did before. Just got to work on actually starting and finishing the remaining assets now.

capture11b.png

capture11wall.png

Edit:

Been playing with the lighting, and quickly textured a couple of other bits using the pillar texture from next to the door.

capture12l.png
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys , I'm still fixing some assets and textures before final submission and I have a question, does anyone think the roots are too big ?

Thanks for your time, feed back will be more than welcomed.

Note : The pillars still has the old vines model , fixing that right now

roots_too_big_by_rojo3d-d5wfaju.jpg
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockguy wrote: »
    Hey guys , I'm still fixing some assets and textures before final submission and I have a question, does anyone think the roots are too big ?

Thanks for your time, feed back will be more than welcomed.

Note : The pillars still has the old vines model , fixing that right now

roots_too_big_by_rojo3d-d5wfaju.jpg

I think the roots would be a good size if you could get a few smaller roots coming off of them[?].
    Love your door btw
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan wrote: »
    I think the roots would be a good size if you could get a few smaller roots coming off of them[?].
    Love your door btw

Thanks for the feedback, I will add a bunch of small roots , also thanks for the good comments on the door.