Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 4

Replies

• Arctic Furnace
    Spent most of the day playing around with floor texture. Looking at it now, I definately need to tone down and thin out the black between the tiles.

Bought nDo2 earlier as well so had a bit of a play with that :)

capture2io.png
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    dx0SDXD.png

Here we have Pillar 1, with base colors and AO only. Spec and Normal included. The metal dressings are untextured as of yet.

EUJCrCf.png

Here is Pillar 1 and Pillar 2, to scale. Both are base diffuse textures with AO only. Spec and Normal included.

KbURTgS.png

Here we have my water plane with a bunchof cool features like real-time reflections, depth biased alpha, among other things.

3o03nDn.png

Lastly, just a wide shot. Hopefully this weekend will be getting the walls, Floors, and centerpiece done.

After that, it's Door, Door Pillars, and then Statue(s).

Followed by Dirt Pass, Destruction pass, and Foliage Pass!

(Followed followed by Post Process Pass, Lighting Pass, and Polish 1 Pass)

Lastly, A Super Polish Pass with Particles, Light Rays, and some other goodies =]

Good night!
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    some of you working so fast ! however, I go very slowly :s

this is my ledge's pool

I have a question: how did you blur the reflection in water shader? (the farther the object is, the more blurred the reflection is)(UDK)

trim01.jpg
  • Raindance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raindance polycounter lvl 7
    Another work in progress.
    VKCaL9r.jpg
    And this one from 3ds max.
    Textures needs a huge amount of work. This is just basic bake.
    cmSEksP.png
    Another shot from 3ds max.
    IpBKtIY.png
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Pieru wrote: »

this is my ledge's pool

I have a question: how did you blur the reflection in water shader? (the farther the object is, the more blurred the reflection is)(UDK)

trim01.jpg
    Nice textures, you cant really do that in UDk, it dosnt have a blur fuction, the best you can do is have two textures one sharp the other blured and then Lerp between them at distance.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    WAIT FOR ME!

I'm going for a direct copy of the concept at this stage, I might alter stuff later on once i get lazy but for now its a copy of the concept

behold its beauty

update01.jpg
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

this is my ledge's pool

trim01.jpg

that looks great, can I see a wireframe?
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    @Kharn: thanks

ok so in the case of real-time reflection, it will be impossible to have this blurred effect :S
    Ok, it's not very important to have a RT reflection for this contest, but it's for general purpose.
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    This guys are waiting for no one! hahaha,
    I am having way too much fun trying to figure out how to make a modular piece of 96x64x80 units, this is for the pool and environment border. I am going to bring this to zbrush to detail the borders of the bricks, put some cracks and make a retopology.

On the shot here, the top walls are all composed of the bottom box piece, same size as the blue box.

The only problem I have with this, is that the sides of the blocks are way too blocky (and its a effect that I do like) so, do I keep that effect? or, do I make a 48x64x80 that fits on each side? I could also make another variation, when backed to just select the vertices and flaten it by hand to fit the modular block.

I am sure I am way complicating my life. But its a problem I am also creating my self to play around to see how I can tackle it.

modularBox96x64x80BEFOREzbrushDetail.jpg
  • JeremiahJensen
    Decided the photo sources textures looked like assss, So i went back and hand painted them, little happier with them now, also some more assets in.

textures_zps9505045d.jpg
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Did some textures too .. inspired by carter - textures not final,
    just an attemped to stylized tiles..
    Pieru and Carter how did you manage that the wall tiles poping out ?
    Did you remodel the siluette after the bake ?

Floor%5Bmeskarts.com%5D.png

screenshot2.jpg
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    @r3spawn:

My wireframe is very very very simple for the moment !

Just a chamfer by 2 on hard edges...

@Alphavader:

I haven't touch the silhouette at this point. Perhaps it's not the better way to work, but i will improve every object detail, step by step, after I have finished the whole scene.
    Just because i think the more detail you have on an "starting" mesh, the less flexible your object is (adding more and more and more things to him). And you will not waste your time at the begining. however, it's my point of view :D

wireframe screen with diffuse map

trim02.jpg
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is not impossible to have a blured effect on your Water Reflection in UDK. All you need to do is create a post process chain effect and use the blur node a few times. Then link the post process effect to your Scene Reflection Actor properties.

It is covered in this tutorial.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNLvS2i_Ff4"]Post Process Chain Basics UDK Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

edit: The only difference here is that he applies the post process chain to the world properties where as you would apply it to the Scene Capture Reflection Actor.

edit2: Here is an example of a scene where I used the blured reflection effect

NOT BLURED/ Reflection Texture 1024

522833_10151238577185067_246261444_n.jpg

BLURED/ Reflection Texture 512

534576_10151239791090067_836205550_n.jpg
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    Ok ! thanks !

So I can't have a distance blur reflection like a DOF ?!

anw, thank you for the tutorial, it will be helpful
  • stonedove
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stonedove polycounter lvl 9
    I'm taking a gigantic plunge into the contest and only hope to learn from it. I aim high and take what I can learn from that. Make next venture following is usually a lot more successful.

waterthrone3.jpg
    waterthrone2.jpg
    waterthrone.jpg
    waterroomtiles3.jpg
    waterroomtiles2.jpg
    waterroomtiles.jpg
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    You definitely don't want to follow the concept a bit ^^
    anw, some stuff are intersting... i'm waiting for your textures !

this is my slabs texture:

slab01.jpg
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Hey guys, I've made a little more progress. Just working on all my modular pieces. I haven't textured anything yet, just some bakes and test objects.

H4YAM03.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Keep it up guys, I see a lot of stuff that's great in this thread:)
  • kevino025
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kevino025 polycounter lvl 10
    So I decided to redo part of my floor. The previous way I approached it was incredibly horrendous. Thats what I get for not thinking a bit before tackling something.

Old version:
    BW6xIKV.png

New Version:
    pagBJld.jpg

The new one is from Marmoset. Basically this time I just made 4 pieces that I will spread out on the edge, where as before I just created the shape with my blockout and sculpted some detail. This time I had much more time to sculpt and the result was a lot better. This gave a lot more UV space. Its what I would've done in the first place but sadly I tried working when I had no time, and decided to go with what I had in the first place.

Try and learn from this mistake, DON'T work on anything before thinking carefully how to tackle it. Just trying to prevent as many redos as possible I guess.

I will try to keep making as much progress as I can but I barely have time to work on this project.

Keep it up guys, love what I'm seeing so far.

Cheers,
    Kevin
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's a question that I can't seem to find an answer to... I want to try my hand at hand painted textures, however I wanted to also do some glass planes with things behind them, How would I do that? Since I just realized it sounds like it doesn't pertain to this, I'm deviating from the concept and want to do a glass floor with A rock zen garden underneath it...
  • JeremiahJensen
    hit another speeeeed bump, normal map in cryengine just doesnt want to be a team player.
    The mesh looks ok with diffuse only, But as soon as i apply normal it picks up some weird spec error where lighting follows camera, Lighting is all over the place and from some angles you can see through the mesh. I loaded it up in marmoset and it looks fine, which means maybe its crytiff doing something, some settings in cryengine.. or... illuminati in cryengine....

Diffuse
    Normalmap_zpsb0ce525f.jpg

with Normal map
    Normalmap2_zps1d316127.jpg

in marmoset
    Normalmap3_zps854e4988.jpg
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ I'd slap some more AO on that bad boy
  • JeremiahJensen
    RogelioD wrote: »
    ^ I'd slap some more AO on that bad boy

good pickup! i'll bump it up some more ! thanks
    also worked out what it was and fixed it up. Crytiff settings where off
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hit another speeeeed bump, normal map in cryengine just doesnt want to be a team player.
    The mesh looks ok with diffuse only, But as soon as i apply normal it picks up some weird spec error where lighting follows camera, Lighting is all over the place and from some angles you can see through the mesh. I loaded it up in marmoset and it looks fine, which means maybe its crytiff doing something, some settings in cryengine.. or... illuminati in cryengine....

Normalmap3_zps854e4988.jpg

You need to invert your green channel my son.
  • Zarakun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zarakun polycounter lvl 7
    I'm really slow compared to all of you, but I think I've already learned a lot of new stuff since I started this challenge. Here are few screens of what I did so far...not so much though :S

Highres_Screenshot_00008.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00009.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00010.jpg

I wanted to try vertex paint for ages now to blend texture under UDK, but actually it doesn't give me exactly what I'd like. Since I'm still new with the linear interpolation material node, I just did the material as simple as possible. But I think I'll complete it with the appropriate mask to blend the dust between the floor tiles...and watching all of your amazing sculpted floor I guess I'll redo mine as well. :S Anyway, thanks for these incredible pieces of art! It pushes me to try harder. Good luck everyone!
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Kinda late, but decided to give it a shot.

Here's my blockout in CE3.

frame000000.jpg
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    this is my slabs texture:

slab01.jpg

So far, I think you're nailing your sculpts! I tackled this concept a few years ago and never finished (in my portfolio). Because I dig your sculpts, do you mind sharing how you went about making your cracks? They're very direct, tight, and realistic and I'd love to know how you're getting that look. Hell, what brushes in general are you using for your pieces?

This is a really fun thread to watch (as I tried this piece myself), looking forward to seeing you guys get closer to completion!

-Jon
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some of the stuff I've been up to!

b9jCRvz.png

ob46cl8.jpg

turns out I had the height map inverted for the moss, here is the same exact paint, but using a one-minus node to invert it and a power node to increase contrast

ogrL5QY.jpg
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    final result of the vertex blended wall texture is quite nice! :D
  • Brandon Kern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon Kern polycounter lvl 11
    Wow this is awesome stuff guys, I gotta get back to work on my stuff... starting to fall behind here :(
  • KyFer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I guess I am really out of the loop. Just stumbled upon the noob environment challenge series. They are exactly what I need right now. I know I am late but I am going to try to compete in this challenge. And definitely will be a part of next month's.
  • Hammed Al-Tamimi
    Sweet, sounds like fun!
  • stonedove
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stonedove polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, restarting. So excited but misread the rules. Kinda skip ahead of myself.
  • piko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a blockout in 3ds Max. It seems a little small compared to the images' perspective so I probly have to go back. I'm trying to figure out the dimensions correctly so I don't have to redo sculpts and paint jobs like some ppl have previously stated. Haven't attempted to blockout in UDK cuz I haven't ever used the program, so I figured it would be easier in Max first...

pax3K9w.jpg
    iwShXT7.jpg
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    @Endfinity Jon @Blazed:

Thanks.

For cracks, I use the beautiful brush named Orb Cracks, however, I use the claytubes for add more imperfections to the cracks, and then, I use the Pinch Brush to pinch them :D

and the second Slabs texture:

slab02.jpg
  • StormHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormHertz polycounter lvl 8
    I'm slowly chugging away at my blockout, decided to add onto what you didn't see in the concept. Probably going to use rubble to block areas you aren't supposed to see.

HegkMkZ.jpg

Also, any UDK pros out there who can help me with this? I imported my scene, and added it as an Interpactor to get only dynamic shadows and lighting. For some reason, I can't get a PointLightMoveable to cast any type of light onto my scene, but it'll gladly cast dynamic light on the static mesh below my scene. Not sure if this is a problem with my scene, UDK, or user error.

S55GDQN.jpg
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Hullo everyone! Everyone's truckin' along, some further than others haha. Never too late to start I say, to the peeps just joining in.

Okay, so I sculpted my temple floor texture and baked all my maps. I want to make a height map as well. But when I tossed everything in UDK and set up a test with a basic shader, everything looks really flat and just doesn't pop like what I'm seeing from other folks in here. I've got a spec, normal, and diffuse.

Pst... Hey, Pieru, is that a UDK shot of your texture? Looks beautiful!

floornorms.jpg

tiles03.jpg
  • StormHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormHertz polycounter lvl 8
    sybrix wrote: »
    Hullo everyone! Everyone's truckin' along, some further than others haha. Never too late to start I say, to the peeps just joining in.

Okay, so I sculpted my temple floor texture and baked all my maps. I want to make a height map as well. But when I tossed everything in UDK and set up a test with a basic shader, everything looks really flat and just doesn't pop like what I'm seeing from other folks in here. I've got a spec, normal, and diffuse.

Pst... Hey, Pieru, is that a UDK shot of your texture? Looks beautiful!

You can't just use a spec, norm, and diff. You have to play around with linear interpolation, multiply, and other things to create a good shader. I suck at making shaders, but I threw this together in a few seconds with a metal shader I had awhile back. Feel free to use it, but I suggest changing the values around for a more accurate stone look. Also, if you want to learn anything, I'd also suggest looking up shader tutorials to recreate this yourself. Your spec wasn't used in this shader, I desaturated the diff and used that.

Material Editor Viewport:
    S4tzAxp.jpg

Shader Instructions:
    52zl3F7.jpg
    EDIT: Also, disregard that weird looking Texture Sample underneath your stone's diffuse. That was the sword I made that initially used this shader, completely forgot to remove that. Lol.
  • JeremiahJensen
    You need to invert your green channel my son.

That fixed so much buggy lighting!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO8jpo5E48Q"]Randy Marsh's OMG - YouTube[/ame]

thank you again dude !
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That fixed so much buggy lighting!

Randy Marsh's OMG - YouTube

thank you again dude !

;)
  • Nebularium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nebularium polycounter lvl 7
    biofrost wrote: »
    Yeah you bake out a height map and take a look at my material set up. Remember you have to have a DX 11 compatible video card for this to work.
    RiQkTei.png

I think you should put your Heightmap into Diffuse/Normal Alpha channel, less texture memory used. Although this isn't actual game environment, but my heart hurts when I see unique texture used when it can simply be put into separate channel in another texture :d
  • King Mango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
    Actually the way an alpha channel is compressed doubles the texture memory. It's best to grey pack single channel stuff. Unless you're worried about draw calls but I know a lot of reliable sources that have taught that.
    A 2k texture with no alpha takes 2.67 MB and the same exact texture with an alpha takes 5.33
  • King Mango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
    biofrost wrote: »
    Baked out a height map and using DX 11 Tessellation! Might need to lower it a bit though.
    K5N09ah.jpg

fap fap fap
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    I have been procastinating by learning some new ways of making the cracks and bits on stone and bricks. After following closely at that Orb Vincent webpage, I have found a video link. Amazing! Made by the same guy. I want to share this with you guys so you can also create your own zbrush brushes.

https://vimeo.com/26399689

After making some of the brushes, I made this within 2-3 minutes with no other brushes, other than a touch of Trim Dynamic. :D

newBrushes.jpg
  • Nebularium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango wrote: »
    Actually the way an alpha channel is compressed doubles the texture memory. It's best to grey pack single channel stuff. Unless you're worried about draw calls but I know a lot of reliable sources that have taught that.
    A 2k texture with no alpha takes 2.67 MB and the same exact texture with an alpha takes 5.33

You mean once they get compressed to DXT format by UDK?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, an RGB texture can use DXT1 compression while an RGBA texture needs to use DXT5. It's usually less memory intensive to move the alpha channel into another texture so they can both use DXT1. If we're using an alpha channel for masks and things like that, we typically try to group them into textures where each channel (R, G and B) hold one of the masks. That way they are still compressed nicely but nobody needs to use an alpha channel. Plus, in certain cases, that allows you to mip down the masks if they don't need to be the same res as the original diffuse and normal. You can often get away with a 512 or 256 spec mask, for example.
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    @WarrenM: truely right ! You must do your mask, spec, height etc... in R,G,B channel! It's better than have one RGB by grayscale texture or an alpha channel compressed in DXT5 !

@sybrix: for the moment I did my preview texture in marmoset, just because I don't want to manage my UDK's packages and shaders immediately, I know the quality will be decreased... I don't want to waste my time by tweaking everything right now !
  • Nebularium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Right, an RGB texture can use DXT1 compression while an RGBA texture needs to use DXT5. It's usually less memory intensive to move the alpha channel into another texture so they can both use DXT1. If we're using an alpha channel for masks and things like that, we typically try to group them into textures where each channel (R, G and B) hold one of the masks. That way they are still compressed nicely but nobody needs to use an alpha channel. Plus, in certain cases, that allows you to mip down the masks if they don't need to be the same res as the original diffuse and normal. You can often get away with a 512 or 256 spec mask, for example.

Ouch, did not know that. I think some of my textures need tweaking now :d. And BTW, can you force UDK to compress RGBA texture to DXT1 and RGB to DXT5?
  • Pieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    Nebularium wrote: »
    Ouch, did not know that. I think some of my textures need tweaking now :d. And BTW, can you force UDK to compress RGBA texture to DXT1 and RGB to DXT5?

DXT5 is a compression for your alpha channel, so why you want to have a DTX5 without A channel?

more explanation of DXT compression here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=DXT_compression_explained
  • Nebularium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DXT5 is a compression for your alpha channel, so why you want to have a DTX5 without A channel?

more explanation of DXT compression here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=DXT_compression_explained

Thanks, will check.