Home General Discussion

Orbis / PS4

Replies

• HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Btw. biggest miss on the conference. NO Kevin Butler. WTH sony :P. Haha just had to trow that brain fart out before sleep.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The Next Xbox is rumored to use DDR3, so it could be a huge deal performance wise.

graph_211723598385_640x360.jpg

GDDR3 vs GDDR5 in a normal graphics card.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Only the Witness and the new game from Media Molecule looked like something innovative to me. Watchdogs has some cool fresh mechanics and open-world GTA like gameplay is always fun.

Shiny graphics everywhere, but I still have to see the actual PS4, being a thing.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    They mentioned a lot about buying stuff in their store and streaming, as well as talking at the beginning about cartridge > cd > dvd, but did not mention what format the new games for the PS4 would arrive in. From the sounds of the first part of the presentation, its all digital? Can't see how that would work, but I'm not a non believer! Guess it goes along with not showing the console, hrmp!

The general infrastructure of the PS4 sounds great. Excited!
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    ZacD wrote: »
    The Next Xbox is rumored to use DDR3, so it could be a huge deal performance wise.

graph_211723598385_640x360.jpg

DDR3 vs GDDR5 in a normal graphics card.

I'm confused, so whats the difference between DRR3, and GDDR3?
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Wow gamedev honesty right now. Watch Dogs was running on a pc with ps4 specs. Because it's wip he says. We'll see i guess. Doesn't make the game less awesome for me personally.

He also just said that the game comes out at the end of this year (so i'm guessing an xmass release). Hope it aligns with the ps4 release.
  • Masakari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Masakari polycounter lvl 9
    Not surprising. Almost everything they showed was either a target render or "something with PS4-like specs".
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The G typically means it is used with graphics cards. It's typically dropped when talking about graphics cards.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    BDlmfmVCIAAPRhI.jpg:large

If Acquire and ArtDink release PS4 games to the US I will die.
  • System
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    someone needed to tell me to start at 1:45:00 on the live stream. lol
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Watchdogs looked great running on PC err I mean PS4.
    Pretty shady demoing a game running on a PC to advertise PS4.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Man Sony need to learn to hold press conferences. The first 30-45 Minutes were boring as hell. Also the "unveiling" was like well PS4 here it is and nothing not even a render. by this point they should have a design... If you could learn one thing from Mr Jobs then that you have to knock em out with it "this is it...and this is what you can do on it". I mean you all have seen the video "the 5 does and don'ts" well thats pretty much it... Also: Sony is producing high end cameras why were the movies all so blurry and looked so apple knock off ish.
    The again the Capcom demo looked awesome, i will be impressed if Squares engine really runs like that (eventhough it was toned down), soo it was allright,
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I was impressed with the Sony presentation, I was expecting 30 minutes. A ton better than E3 last year.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    ZacD wrote: »
    The G typically means it is used with graphics cards. It's typically dropped when talking about graphics cards.

There's more to it than that; they work in some fundamentally different ways. Wikipedia probably has a good write up, most of the hardware articles are pretty good.
  • sulkyrobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sulkyrobot triangle
    Wonder what the atmosphere is like over at Microsoft?
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    share button.... sigh, that's something that will be taped or removed so i don't accidentally hit it all the time.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I could see myself using share to record some epic moments, glitches, or luck, but I wont be uploading videos, just saving them for myself. Also it'd be an easy way to take screen shots for reference.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Let's Play movement is absolutely huge now on Youtube and other sites like justin.tv. I Imagine the share button being super popular.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yea I just want a way to quickly 1-click take screenshots without interrupting the game, and saving them to the HDD instead of posting them on some random social media site.

I have to assume they're storing the video in ram otherwise continuous non-stop video recording while playing games would quickly kill any HDD, the amount of wear-and-tear would be horrible.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I would imagine that the switch to 8 gbs changed up the layout, hence no finalized console images. But seriously, if not seeing the console itself is a huge deal to you, I think you are missing the big picture.

I came away very impressed with Sony.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Too many polygons wasted on the soul.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wonder if it's actually recording 1080p footage, or if they some how have the game add a built in replay system like Starcraft or league. Isn't 15 minutes of HD footage about 1 gig? I guess 1/8 gigs is not much, but still.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    FullSynch wrote: »
    Too many polygons wasted on the soul.

Eh, next next gen has a dedicated 512-bit soul rendering pipeline. It'll keep framerate.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Did I miss something or did they still not show us the box? Controller looks fine I guess; shoulder buttons look like they could be slippy though.

Killzone: Shadowfall looks good but 3 burned me so I'm apprehensive.

That Jonathan Blowjob fella sure talks a load of shit that then results in a hugely generic gameplay experience. His game intrigued me until I saw the puzzles. Environment puzzles would have been far less lazy.

For the sake of peoples sanity I would recommend avoiding Kotaku's comments section... people have truly gone full retard there. Like they smashed their head off a wall before posting. Especially the PC Master Race crowd; they fail to realize that their games can now move forward too; that this jump is good for a games. People slagging off 8GB of RAM because that's what they used in a build a year ago, what a bunch of fools.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Anyone else super excited for the Witness? I've been reading the dev blog since forever and it just looks fantastic at this point.

Dat art style.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7h7AleSCF4&feature=player_embedded"]The Witness first official gameplay trailer.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wish they would of showed less puzzles, they don't add anything to the game play when you don't know what the puzzle is.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I'm sure they showed barely anything. last I remember hearing the puzzle count in the game was something like 300.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I know, but people are saying the game looks too basic just from seeing the trailer, you just go up to these pads, I know there's more but there's a lot of people putting the game down because of it.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty happy with 'Move' being integrated into the new controller. Less of a rip-off, nice one Sony.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The only bad thing is now that the controller has a mic/speaker (whatever it is), touchpad, and a light, it'll probably be $70 each.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Witness looks like a very happy world where all the happy inhabitants dissipated... its creepy man.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I don't really get what that motion sensor bar is for? Is it supposed to be a direct cometitor to the Kinect, like does it map a full body skeleton or does it just track the controller, and why is it required for a simple wireless controller to function?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    and why is it required for a simple wireless controller to function?

Looks like gyro is handled through 'Move' now.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    From what I understand, it's not required. But they do have depth based sensors and 3d tracking. It's probably just in case the Kinect for the next Xbox takes off. I was happy they didn't focus on it.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    soooooooo much more interested in The Witness as opposed to a shooter where you are walking around in the warzone and you hear "hey sargeant....give me a cigarette". COME ON GUERILLA......SERIOUSLY???
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    maybe I'm the only one that gets a chuckle out of this
    cigaretteguy.jpg
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza wrote: »
    soooooooo much more interested in The Witness as opposed to a shooter where you are walking around in the warzone and you hear "hey sargeant....give me a cigarette". COME ON GUERILLA......SERIOUSLY???

'Marine' dialogue needs a thorough seeing too industry-wide IMO... only BF3 got it right.

But yes Guerilla have big problems with their dialogue. No excuse really, their level of English seems to be pretty good; probably just the wrong writer.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    So, my impressions of a few things.

Killzone: Ok, so it looks good but I have to say this just enforced my opinion that FPS games suffer MASSIVELY because consoles dont support a mouse and keyboard. The guy showcasing the game couldn't hit a barn door, but it didn't matter coz the AI was dumb as shit anyway. Not a very good first impression on gameplay anyway. Also, very cliche, the bad guys live on the "red" side of the wall...

Watchdogs: Looks great. I'm still not convinced the game will deliver the "almost inifinite possibilities to any problem" thing its alluding to. Cant wait to play it though.

Witness: Is gorgeous but I hope every puzzles isn't the same little maze thing. Needs some variety there imo. Reminds me of Myst.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    The AI was dumbed down for presentation reasons. It would've been embarrassing if the player just died in the middle of the demo and restart all over again.
  • Masakari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Masakari polycounter lvl 9
    My impressions:

+ Sony nailed the social aspects and improvements, coming up with some interesting uses of cloud to enhance them

+ That said, it's pretty clear the Gaikai thing isn't ready and will take awhile, rolling out in phases. I believe even David Perry said it during the presentation

+ Most of the stuff were target renders / videos / running on a PC (Square's 1 year old video, Deep Down, the Watch_Dogs demo). After that infamous KZ2 presentation in 2005 or 2006, I'll believe them when I see people actually playing them.

+ The stuff that was "game quality" was roughly equivalent to a 1080p PC game on high settings. So while Killzone looks really good, it's not something I haven't seen before.

+ They tweaked the dualshock, but the left analog is still not where it should be, and the triggers still look like a compromise. Looks bulkier though, that's good.

+ The Witness looks great, but the actual gameplay seems boring as hell

+ Everything else is multiplats, so it was pointless to show them at the event

+ the RAM was surprising, though I'm thinking PS4 will be more expensive than Xbox, which might put Sony in trouble again.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    The best part for me was The Witness. It looked stunning and I can imagine lots of feels when I explore it.

Anyway I was disappointed with the PS3 performance and so I said I'd give Xbox a whirl but I will admit the presentation has upped my spirit. We'll see what MS do and then I'll have to make the tough decision. Since the PS4 is more PC like that may solve all the problems I had with the PS3.
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    i5cvgsbuCHlIm.gif

I want to see a realistic child. That's hard to get right!

Sony really impressed me, I didn't get a PS3 but I'm damn excited for the PS4!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Masakari wrote: »
    + That said, it's pretty clear the Gaikai thing isn't ready and will take awhile, rolling out in phases. I believe even David Perry said it during the presentation

In all honesty, I suspect the infrastructure to support something like Gaikai streaming might not even arrive during this console generation, at least in this country. You need a bare minimum of 3MB/s up, which is almost impossible to get outside of the London area at the moment - and is only just feasibale as well as very expensive within it.
    Masakari wrote: »
    + the RAM was surprising, though I'm thinking PS4 will be more expensive than Xbox, which might put Sony in trouble again.

It looks like their hardware is going to be suspiciously identical. I had originally assumed the Xbox would be the more expensive option due to compulsory Kinect, but now that the Playstation 4 also has one, I'm not so sure :/
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I enjoyed the first 30 mins... them talking about the potential of the ps4 was interesting... but they didn't back it up, and they didn't explain enough for me to believe what they were saying haha Most of the things they showed seemed to be renders as well... except for knack i guess, since we saw that running on the vita.

I am very pleased that my vita will be more useful with the ps4.

I was not very pleased to see nothing change from killzone 4 as far as gameplay... same old... gotta love the guy holding on to a rope on a moving vehicle to let go and hold with one arm to shoot accurately at people inside. Those kind of details just jump out at me every single time.

Then... not very good announcements... i liked the witness, and watch dogs... but nothing that told me i have to get this console right off the bat.

And i agree... why would they not show the console? sure the guys say cuz they have to have something to show later. But i am sure that they are not at a stage where they have a finalized design, or something. Who knows... if they had shown what they had, maybe they would have gotten some feedback from everyone. Oh well...

It started well... it ended and felt a little short of the hype. The 10 dlls i got on PSN made up for it tho.

No i will forget about this and just play some other games around...

Oh yea... whats with D3 announced on ps4... that took me by surprise, and i don't welcome it. But whatever... maybe they'll bring WoW into the mix just because they can. At least now we know that D3 was designed to fit in the console... 4 player, limited actions, and very miniscule skill trees to dumb down the experience for console.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 wrote: »

I was not very pleased to see nothing change from killzone 4 as far as gameplay... same old...

They have got to get proper vehicles in multiplayer and not release another expensive expansion pack... I love love love Killzone 1&2 but 3 burned me bad (I purchased the Helmet Special Edition). Doubt I'll be missing out on this one though.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I wasn't all that impressed to be honest. It felt more like a 2 hour confirmation that the PS4 was coming. The specs were vague, except for the memory. And despite how much they played it up, I thought the amount of ram was low, for a system that has such a long life cycle these days. I think people are just excited, because it's so much more than what the PS3 has atm.

The games didn't impress me much either. Most said they were going to also be available for the PS3, and honestly, they looked like PS3 games. Nothing really WOWed me. Deep Down was probably the one game that really demonstrated details that I would expect on a nextgen system.

Overall, I'm excited that it's coming, and unless they do something in the future to turn me off, I'm probably going to get it, but that presentation did nothing for me. Of course, maybe I missed something in the crappy feed. I didn't even see the most of the first half hour, because it was so laggy. When they finally fixed it, most of the stuff I was interested in was already covered.

I do like the share button though. I also like that the headphones will be integrated with the controller.

What remains to be answered, for me, is the pricing, the optical drive (if any), and how they will handle online multiplayer (will there be a membership now). Those are the things that will help me determine if I'll buy it.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    Deep Down was probably the one game that really demonstrated details that I would expect on a nextgen system.

To be fair, that was a trailer rather than a game, much like Agni's Philosophy or Elemental.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    and... amm...

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/psn-transfers-ps4/

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida just told our friends at Engadget current-gen PSN purchases won't transfer across to the PS4.