Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dDo beta is OUT!

Replies

• PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    im sorry to ask here but how do you bake a object space normal map?
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    im sorry to ask here but how do you bake a object space normal map?

I do it in XNormal. Just hit the ... button next to normal map, uncheck the TANGENT checkbox and it will render out an object space normal map.
  • Grimy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is it possible to make your own materials in dDo?
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • kirtalvin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you use a tangent space normal map to create an object space normal or do you have to get it at the time of baking?
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    I did a thing with this
    it sure is unstable as hell when I'm making adjustments though
    k0tXX.jpg
    w9rz3.jpg
    D8sJd.jpg
    EDIT: this thing isn't seriously that shitty is it?
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    How sensitive is dDo's color reader? I separated my materials and was definitely pretty liberal with the quanity, but it's still confusing a lot of the hues. I can definitely understand one of the confusions, but not all three. Did I reach a material cap or is dDo just this sensitive?

4EplI.jpg
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    How sensitive is dDo's color reader? I separated my materials and was definitely pretty liberal with the quanity, but it's still confusing a lot of the hues. I can definitely understand one of the confusions, but not all three. Did I reach a material cap or is dDo just this sensitive?

The problem is areas like these on your selection map:
    1Luns

See?

Edit:// Don't paint your selection map in Photoshop. Instead, bake it like you do with your normal maps instead. That should give you a clean result, in most cases anyway.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 wrote: »
    The problem is areas like these on your selection map:
    1Luns

See?

Edit:// Don't paint your selection map in Photoshop. Instead, bake it like you do with your normal maps instead. That should give you a clean result, in most cases anyway.

Thanks for the tips, but I did bake it out and still got those artifacts. I touched up some of the colors in PS but the ones you've pointed out are outside the UV shell's border so I left them. And dDo isn't reading the red material as green or violet, just similar tones.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I broke dDo. I did something, perhaps it was in all my manual adjustments of the alphas in the layer editor or something but whatever the case, one of my materials is uneditable now. UZTvM.jpg

The material color have a slight gradient applied (which I guess means uneditable?). Trying to adjust them in "quick-reflectance" drop down menu causes dDo to crash. Also selecting the material in "color mode" causes dDo to crash. I'm hoping I can diagnose what casused this problem so I can fix it.

I know that in nDo2, I have to keep my nDo2 normals in the folder called "NORMALS" and I can't rename that folder or nest it because nDo2 can't read it. It's probably something similar but I can't diagnose where the problem lies.

EDIT: there was an issue with my custom layers. I tried importing some images earlier but didn't like the results and deleted everything. As far as I could tell, I left the naming conventions the same for each of the four groups (Custom layer #1-6) but whatever the case, deleting each custom group fixed the bug.
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assassin0323 polycounter lvl 7
    BringMeASunkist: Yah when I first started playing around with the Custom Layers I didn't read all the info crashed it 2 or 3 times doing the exact same thing.

Teddy: Not sure if it is in the works or has been mentioned but it would be nice to set the number of Custom Layers to a specified number. Don't really think this is do-able, but adding new Custom Layers on the fly would be nice too(after the base maps have been generated). Hope that make sense lol.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    when you start make sure you tick my colour not by weight like in this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=e9ORjjyXGSA#t=320s
    when it comes to sensitivity its either the same colour or its not :P
  • Campi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campi polycounter lvl 11
    Hey,
    quick question. How feasible is it to use nDo in a non-game workflow where you are dealing with 100-500 (or more..) UV Tiles ?

I know it'll be bottlecked by photoshop in the end but would it be possible to batch process large amounts of tiles without too much (any) manual intervention past the first tile ?
  • Campi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campi polycounter lvl 11
    Hm. For some reason the beta states it has expired even though I just downloaded it. So here's another question: Does dDo stay away from UV Shell edges or does it generate lots of seams I have to manually patch up ?
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teddy: At least in the x64 version of dDo the part of the value sliders is broken. The part that is broken is where you input a number and hit enter the slider works. But it still does not change the value on the maps like it should. You still have to click the slider node then it updates. Not a big deal just annoying.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just found a pretty severe bug but I'm having trouble reproducing it so I'm going to see if I can describe what was going on.

Working on the 64-bit dDo, while I was examining a specular alpha map for some edge chips, I added a rasp material detail.

-The rasp material detail was not added to my dDo material list
    -It was added to the diffuse group in PS
    -It replaced the alpha mask for the edge chips I was examining in the specular group
    -I panicked and didn't even look at the results in the gloss group

I exited out of both dDo and reopened the file in PS. Now when selecting any materials through the color selection, dDo crashes.

In an attempt to fix the problem, I deleted the "EdgeChips" layers and the custom layer groups for each of the map groups: D, S & G. (Side note: not sure why deleting the custom layer groups was necessary, but it was.)

No, while the material is editable, adding a material detail adds two of the same detail to the dDo list; each indpendent of each other with independent controls. Looking in the PS layers, I can only find one instance of the material detail added, but added above the material group; not actually bound to any specific group. See attachment.*
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I know I'm blowing up this board with bugs but I just found another one. When I begin a new project, I sometimes have four instances of the same material detail created within a material group. Adjusting the opacity slider through dDo works as expected but deleting any one of the instances completely removes the material detail, leaving three instances that do nothing.

Deleting a material detail through dDo does not always remove all the instances of the detail from each of my three maps (diffuse, spec and gloss). I'm afraid to manually delete those layers through PS because dDo seems so unstable when I do that.

I know I sound like a little bitch, and I'm sorry for that; I'm just frustrated. I am really impressed with this software and produce results I'm really happy with when it works. But right now I'm spending more time troubleshooting that creating art. Is there a way I can revert to a previous version of dDo? I didn't have too many issues around December 9
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting a General Error on the x64 version of dDo when I take one Material Detail and move it above or below another Material Detail.

Edit: I have been able to reproduce it multiple times getting the same General Error. It seems to still work just gives you an error window which is weird lol.
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Load up normal map, diffuse, low poly mesh. Run bake. Preview and my mesh just displays white. If I turn post processing off my mesh turns solid black. Am I missing something?
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Bug report:
    dDo seemed to just hang after a while so I did a force quit. Now, when I load up photoshop again and click on the dDo icon to launch. The dDo icon pops up in the middle of the screen, the disappears, then nothing.... Does force quitting dDo do something really bad? I can't get it back open. (both x86 and x64 versions).

Update: Restarting my computer seemed to get it back up and running.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    I'm just going to throw this out there after using this program for the past month.
    I don't mean to sound like a dick, BUT, it's waay too slow. (I'm using a high end machine btw)
    Wouldn't this program be better suited to just run in it's own program, something similar to Crazy Bump?
  • Shudrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shudrum polycounter lvl 6
    Hi there !

As it was explained on the last tutorial, dDo use swatches for set on the hipoly the different materials to use.

Personally, I used to bake my models with xNormal, but this tool only use one material per mesh and It is very anoying to bake a complex object.

For this reason, I've created a single map with all of the diffuses colors used on the FBX swatches from dDo for baking with xNormal.

Maybe It should be usefull for other users than me so I share this picture :
    ddo-diff.png

Each swatche is annotated with the material name, the RGB color and the material ID.

@dDo team : If you want the original PSD for reuse this "boring" task, ask me.
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when does the beta end again?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Shudrum, awesome!
    periodic table of materials!
  • Shudrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I've just reuse the arrangement on the FBX containing the materials :).
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Shudrum!
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
    I loved trying out the beta of this program. The only problem I found is that it does not lend itself well to computers such as mine that are not extremely fast. It takes so long to have the program render anything that it isn't worth my time currently. Otherwise the program is great. I just need to update my computer.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    jddg5wa wrote: »
    I loved trying out the beta of this program. The only problem I found is that it does not lend itself well to computers such as mine that are not extremely fast. It takes so long to have the program render anything that it isn't worth my time currently. Otherwise the program is great. I just need to update my computer.

I've got an 8 core cpu with 16 gigs of ram, plus a solid state HD and it's slow on my machine as well. (not unbearably slow, but slow enough that I think it would be better off in its own program to speed things up...)
    Regardless though, the program is amazing, I give it :thumbup::thumbup:.
  • kwshipman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwshipman polycounter lvl 9
    payphone_turn.jpg

Still got some work to do on it, but dDo sure gave me a head start on the texturing. working on how best to incorporate it into my work flow, but I love quickly nailing down the base values of my materials.

Couple wishes: a cube map, maybe an indoor and outdoor option with matching lighting. would help to better grasp reflective surfaces.

add bump to a specific mask. i.e. the phone painted on the side, i wanted just a hint of height to the paint, easy enough to edit the normal map after baking it, but would be nice to add it here.

having environmental groups not apply to specific materials. I liked being able to add acid or scratches to everything at once, but it would look weird to have a chip taken out of the plastic with a shiny metal underneath.

easy enough to work around all those things, just stuff that i noticed.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Beta ended today and i purchased the full version. But now i can't activate it because thers just a window saying that beta has ended when i start ddo.
    Got no answer on the official forum yet after a couple hours. Anyone know how i can get this to work?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! My apologies for the recent silence, I had to leave the office for the major part of January. A new version of dDo is on its way today which eliminates the expired beta message, as well as resets the trial to a whopping 45 days for those who did not get a chance to try it out properly yet.

Really excited to see so much cool stuff being created while I've been gone :D Also very pumped to get back to giving dDo some real upgrading love. Big things await people!

- Teddy
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Great! Thank you Teddy!
  • MohsenDehnavi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my 30 days missed..(my pc was spoil! :( )

i want a new 30 days...

please....
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    The biggest issues i've faced with both nDo and dDo (mostly used nDo so far) is just how cpu intensive it gets. It doesn't matter if I'm on a "fast" PC or "slow" pc... after about 5 layers (give or take) it starts to come to a crawl.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions that can help speed up nDo. I'm in a love / hate relationship with this awesome software... I just want to know if there is something I can do to speed it up a bit.

I've come to the point where I will save my PSD's increments, each new increment = collapse all layers and start on new ones. This works for me... but I lose some of the benefits of using nDo in the first place.
  • aliasbane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The biggest issues i've faced with both nDo and dDo (mostly used nDo so far) is just how cpu intensive it gets. It doesn't matter if I'm on a "fast" PC or "slow" pc... after about 5 layers (give or take) it starts to come to a crawl.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions that can help speed up nDo. I'm in a love / hate relationship with this awesome software... I just want to know if there is something I can do to speed it up a bit.

I've come to the point where I will save my PSD's increments, each new increment = collapse all layers and start on new ones. This works for me... but I lose some of the benefits of using nDo in the first place.

What system for example are you running on because for me it usually dosent really take more than a minute or 2.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11

second all this, my main reason for not using nDo2 and dDo even though I own both :P
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    In regards to dbo is there a tutorial in how do the sliders work it seems to me they really do random stuff and i end up playing and re-playing with them for hours before getting some good result... anyone else feel like that?

Anyhow i bought dbo yesterday and here is the result for the base coat of this ATAT any crits are welcome

ATAT_web2_zps7f134f20.jpg
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    after about 5 layers (give or take) it starts to come to a crawl.

I don't have this problem at all. i5 3570k and 16 GB ram, so by no means a monster rig.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    I just bought this the other day... The material color presets along with the built in filters are great for creating nice base textures. This save a lot of time!

Anyways, could someone tell me how to navigate in the 3D viewer?
  • Vault Dweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just fired my texture artist! Thanks Quixel!
  • kwshipman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwshipman polycounter lvl 9
    Kon Artist wrote: »
    Anyways, could someone tell me how to navigate in the 3D viewer?

hold left mouse to rotate camera, right mouse to move the lights, middel to pan/zoom. SPACE and TAB bring up other options.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I just fired my texture artist! Thanks Quixel!
    :/
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwshipman wrote: »
    hold left mouse to rotate camera, right mouse to move the lights, middel to pan/zoom. SPACE and TAB bring up other options.

I think I'm experiencing a bug:( The other day those controls did not work... Now the previewer will not open and I get the following message:

Error!

could not load previewer!

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Props to Shudrum for the legend! You rock.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MohsenDehnavi,

Get the latest version of dDo here and the new trial will unlock another 45 days of testing!

JasonLavoie,

Adding to a reply I just sent in another thread here at PC: The key trick to make Photoshop run smoothly when working with nDo2 is zipping, which is very similar to the collapse workflow you're describing, only non-descructive. A best practice is to have all layers but the current one zipped, as this will increase performance immensely. Disabling OpenGL Drawing does improve performance, as suggested by Fwap, but for high-end machines such as yours the increase may be insignificant (zipping may just do the trick). As a footnote, dDo is soon getting a similar zipping system in place, together with a few other major additions to speed things up.

Also, slow/unstable performance may sometimes be disk related. Photoshop never clears its memory, even if you manually purge it. Nothing eats memory quite like image processing, so even if you have 16 gigs of RAM, these will soon be consumed when working with large documents, meaning PS performance very often boils down to pure hard drive performance. PS will then continue to fill up the drive with virtual memory until filled. A common cause for nDo2 crashing is full scratch disks, leading to seemingly random, mid-process crashes. Thus, restarting PS once in a while will help to avoid bad performance, and making sure the primary scratch disk has plenty of free space will avoid crashes. Having an SSD as your primary scratch disk also significantly improves heavy duty work for Photoshop in general.

On a side note, nDo2 and dDo are essentially lightweight UI shells, letting PS do all the heavy lifting. This means raw processing speed is completely dependant on the performance of Photoshop's scripting engine, which seems to perform very differently from machine to machine even though the specs are similar. Nonetheless, trying simple things like zipping and keeping scratch disks healthy should help make PS much easier to work with for the most part!

Kon Artist,

I'm really sorry about the hassle -- in your sessions before the previewer stopped loading, did it show any updates as you tweaked your textures, or was it completely unresponsive? Feel free to let me know your operating system (x86 or x64) and if the previewer worked for you in earlier versions of dDo, and I'll do my best to track this down asap!

In case anyone missed it, dDo 4.3 is now out! This release adds 45 fresh days of trial time, also adding a few handy features like persistent export settings, custom export paths and normal channel flipping support. Also, we just released this brief video demonstrating dDo's batching capabilities:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZvwnK1lgNE&hd=1"]Introduction to dDo - Batch Rendering - YouTube[/ame]

Next up, a comprehensive in-depth look into the dDo UI and its hidden features!
  • Shudrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey !

First of all, it's a pleasure to meet you again and ...

I have a question !

I'm not a skilled graphist, just a developper trying to make a game alone. Maybe my question is stupid but :

How can I manage the scale between differents models ?

I would like to reuse an exported set to another item, very small compared the first one, and it look like very ugly ... Is there a magic solution ?

Thank you !

P.S. : Thank you OtrickP :)
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @teddybergsman

I did a complete re install. The 3D previewer now works as intended.

*** 3D previewer doesn't support tablets ***

I hope this is something that gets fixed soon. I couldn't even use my tablet mouse:( Anyways, still love the software.
  • Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
    Ah, yes! Another 45 days. Thanks so much for that.
    I`m on a tight schedule myself, so if I`ll manage to get dDo up and working for me, I`m definitely a future customer :) . Thanks again, Quixel!
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    used this for the first time today for an RTS asset for a mod im doing for SINS. LOVE IT cant wait to learn it even better

ReaperCapitalShipyardTextured.jpg

Do we have a discount code or something to use for polycount? Really want to buy but im broke may have to wait for a sale
  • Vault Dweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :/

Don't worry, just a lame joke.