dDo beta is OUT!

Replies

• Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Hi Wiktor, those are some nice video's you made
    thanks a lot.

PS: could you tell me what script/plug-in you used for retopologizing the high-poly Remington Chainsaw in the time laps video.
  • kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    Hi,
    I have time today so I decided to write something what could help you to make ddo better.
    I used ddo for a couple of days so I got some experience and find out a few bugs ect.

That was my project in early stage:
    759bb3eaa5.jpg

Problems:
    -import of .obj:
    -viewer is unable to view more that 10 000 triangles? My model had 36 000 and I had to export it in 3 pieces :\ I figured out I can easly load different part in model viewer so...that was a good work around, but still- it's a fail.
    -viewer imports model in wrong scale. 3d model was a way too small! It was hard to navigate, to view it (coz of crazy fov)
    -it was hard to get nice lightening. (maybe coz of bad scale- model was 2 small fot that scene) My suggestion is to add "cell shading" mode to view pure texture in the previewer.

problems with materials:
    -You made a video to show peoples how to define materials. IMO "materials via faces" is not precise enough (details could be a whole different than poly and edge flow), better and more accurate technique is painting onto 3d model. There is some good apps 4 that: Body paint3d or even 3ds max tool: viewport canvas.
    -After I painted a mask to define the materials (about 15 different) I was unable to change colour of one of them (picking it from mask preview) I was able to click on it, to pop up window with colours but after I change it and clicked "ok" nothing happens. That occurred only with this 1 material, even when I change the mask colour in photoshop :\ I was able to change this material by picking it from the list, not from mask preview.
    -Problem with design: When we load a mask for colours and diffuse texture...mask become useless- we are unable to change diffuse texture by picking up materials and change their colours. Colours must be on top of the diffuse texture in case when we load them both.
    -I was unable to save & load preset for materials colours, presets save only informations about details? That's a pity... Imagine: I set up my 15 colours and then what? I'm unable to save it? :\
    -Model viewer- In case when I'm using it without ddo (great idea!):
    -I'm unable to scale window
    -It has lag...about 3 sec (too much :( )and refresh after ctr+s. That makes it useless coz in the same amount of time I can use alt+Tab and see changes in fullscreen viewport of 3ds max with really great shader applied on my model.
    To make model viewer useful:
    -try to reduce lag
    -try to project/view photoshop cursor on the model, in real time of course
    -try to view changes instantly, without ctr+s

Major issues:
    -Ddo is just 2 slow. With 2k x 2k texture I was unable to do even simple change. After I load up all maps and photoshop calculated 1 preset and I supposed to be ready to start, when I did sth, ddo was getting to slow and slow and slow, usually after one or two changes ddo stopped working :( So once I spend 1 hour to do a simple change :( because of this. :poly127:

With 1k x 1k maps it works almost fine, changes are almost instant and that's ok.
    So the idea to work with smaller maps seems to be great solution but:
    -After "re projection" to higher resolution I always got different results :\- waste of work
    -In small resolution I was unable to see details, coz resolution was to small to view it.
    -Another huge, major issue: wrong calculation of UV seams. If you want to do really Pro soft you should calculate model and normal map and prevent to do mistakes on uv seams...for now it's a huge problem. After work I was forced to fix about 10 bugs coz of this. On diff and spec. So 20 bugs when add up.

My advice is to make advanced preview mode for usual work. It should looks like this (document shouldn't be cropped! because that makes model preview usless ):
    aaa.jpg

Ddo has great potential, please don't screw it up by some simple leaks in design. In different words: get rid of the lag by making advanced preview mode and release it as 1.0 ;)
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry if I did't read throught 15 and more pages but I just wanted to ask if it works with3dsmax 2011 and 2012 , because I saw the video demonstration and showed only maya...
  • kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It works with .obj, projected textures and photoshop so...
    In maya they projected some mask- nothing important, you can do it in viewport canvas tool in 3dds max or body paint 3d.
  • MohsenDehnavi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi teddybergsman,

in dDo i have problem:

1-when i click on "toggle mask preview" i see the mask of detail,and when changing the diffuse opacity,i can not see changing in mask... and just see on map!

2-when i create custom detail with masks in ddo,i save it with .jvs or etc.
    how should is open this saved file?
    in ddo just i can add detail and i can not add custom detail.

3-please upload your guides and teaches in your upload to i can download it.(in youtube i can not see videos)(i could not see your videos)
    thanks
  • Shiskebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiskebab polycounter lvl 16
    K, i have a problem loading custom models in the preview window.
    The Filebrowser isn't showing any files:
    DDo_Browser01.jpg
    Here it's not even showing my drives etc, just an empty white screen.

The same thing happens when loading maps via the preview window.

I'm using the latest version, 4.6.

*edit
    When i put an obj file in the root folder "C:\ProgramData\Quixel\dDo\x64\previewer" i can see that file. When i go a folder down and back up the file is not visible.
    Opening the obj file doesn't work, when i do that the preview windows crashes.

*update
    It does work when using the automation hub :).
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    Kurt,

You can change the crop size/ detail previewer. Also, I just found this out (kind of silly). If dDo crashes, open up your dDo Photoshop file first then dDO and you can continue working where you left off.

I can't comment on the texture size lag as I've only used it for 1k textures.
  • Overmind5000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overmind5000 polycounter lvl 11
    My first try with dDo. Literally.
    BanHamma9001_zpse4a8d807.jpg
  • toolpaddz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
    found a bug (sorry to report here, but this is the most comfortable for me ;) ):
    when exporting maps using different file suffixes than the default d, s & n and saving the gloss to specular, it will create a separate map with the suffix _s (though this was not intended). The saved specular map (e.g. _spec) does not include the alpha channel with the gloss. This is also the case for saving as the alpha of different maps than specular.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    This may have been brought up before but I'll ask again.

Why doesn't the preview of details match up with the rendered details? If I spend time setting up details, say moss on a rock, and hit render, the moss sometimes 100% changes from the preview and sometimes disappears altogether. I would think the preview should be 1:1 WYSIWYG.
  • Colditz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, does the latest version of MysticThumbs or FastPictureViewer work okay with dDo?

I'm trying the dDo beta, and using the older free version of MysticThumbs (1.98) but getting an error anytime it tries to view a PSD created in dDo which crashes MysticThumbs ("encountered an error and must close" etc etc).

Please uninstall MysticThumb, it crashes dDo every time...
  • kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist- I can use crop only for detail preview, not fot standard work.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    My first go with dDo and I ended up with this.
    MD_Flintlock_LP01.jpg

Quick reflectance is the best texturing helper ever invented. I love how it pumps the map full of those little pixely details you'd spend hours doing yourself, leaving you to concentrate on the larger details. Could not for the life of me figure out how to get the normal map to display properly in the previewer, inverted my Y and everything, very confused. This one's rendered in marmo, diffuse and spec-gloss are from dDo.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    Colditz wrote: »
    Please uninstall MysticThumb, it crashes dDo every time...

Already resolved this awhile ago...
    EArkham wrote: »
    Quite possibly. I did some searching and found SageThumbs, which is free and doesn't have that issue since you can disable psd files from showing up as thumbs.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Finals on this guy. Really liking dDo overall.

05-beautyShot_06.jpg

09-boltShot_01.jpg

12_maps_01.jpg
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    After I've saved a preset *.xml file, how do I load it again on a new project? Load Preset... just brings up the original presets.

EDIT:
    I've moved the files that were saved from my art library folder to the dDo folder (would be good if we could specify a path to custom folders).

Think I've got my locations right:

Saved Env. Preset is in dDo\script\details\styles\Material\Custom\
    Saved Material Preset is in dDo\script\materials\styles\Custom

This is allowing me to load each in the correct slot from the Automation Hub, however, if I make a new dDo project with no presets to start with, and then try loading them from the main dDo window, only the Env. presets are available, regardless of which tab I'm on.
  • MohsenDehnavi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Monophobe,

i have 3 problem:

1-please say me
    Difference of (Material) & (Environmental) in dDO?

2-i want in texture,create
    diffrent material or stuff suck as:(metal,wood,plastic...) in Different places of texture.but dDo create for me Integrated material all over of texture.
    i want select
    partial of texture and create my material(stuff).
    do you undrestand me?
    help me how to do?

3-in 3do previwer my mesh is bad.why?

http://upload7.ir/images/98303536947178443309.jpg

thanks
  • Shiskebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiskebab polycounter lvl 16
    Did you triangulate the mesh before export.
    And for different materials you should use a color map
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    what kind of PC you need to own to make dDo work with 4k maps?
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8

I have a 2500$ computer that I bought in November. Stupid amount of RAM, etc. Still lags for me with a 2k map. I think it's just how the program works :/
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I watched that guy texture 2k by 4k chainsaw, it went smoothly for most of the process
    And even after reducing my maps to 2k it still lags like shit, PS memory usage gets above 6gb
    thought there might be something wrong with my system, but I agree, gotta blame photoshop here, can't really process so MANY layers effectively.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    You can resize it while you work on it. And then once you finish you can bring it back up to the size you want. It's a new feature that was added. That's what he did in the Chainsaw tutorial too.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11

I have a quad core, 8 gigs of ram (PC is about 5 years old), and I'm able to work with 4096 textures. I find it best to close all your other programs and allocate as much ram to Photoshop as possible. The program is slow, so just realize this and have patience :)
    I just installed a new AMD 7950 and the 3d viewer runs extremely smooth now. With my gtx8800 it stuttered quite a bit. (I wish they would make it a stand alone program like Crazy Bump tbh. :)
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo wrote: »
    You can resize it while you work on it. And then once you finish you can bring it back up to the size you want. It's a new feature that was added. That's what he did in the Chainsaw tutorial too.

yeah, it crashes for me every time, tried with different texture sizes - no go

also, for some reason cant load up my textures in previewer - all I see is blurred red question mark. Mesh is loading up, though. My guess is that video not supported.

Anyway, I think I figured it out, enjoying new pipeline now, very flexible and time saving. Just gotta make fewer material masks so PS wont gurgle when trying to apply mat. presets for 30+ regions - that was too much for it to handle
  • futurepoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, there are some amazing pieces here!

Here is a melee wrench that I created for the CeleryLand project. Ryan Demita from Bungie concepted the miner and wrench during a class demo and I though it would be a great asset to test out Ddo with.

So far I'm really impressed with Ddo and the quixel chainsaw tutorial had some awesome tips. The biggest problem I ran into was trouble switching from half resolution to production since the scale of the details changes.

CeleryLand57.jpg

low poly rendered in marmoset

CeleryLand59.jpg

and an in game shot

CeleryLand60.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    um, obj space doesn't work for me... i wanted to add dust coming from the top, but its clearly not using the map I unputed.
  • kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to create\add your own dirt\detail and there, in options you can define that dirt should use OS+ OS-. It worked when I did it.

Btw. DDO TEAM > working on some update maybe ;) ?
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    Teddy it was awesome meeting you at GDC and i love what you guys are doing. thank you for everything :)
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Guys how can I go back and edit one of my custom details? I do not see an option to load a previous custom detail.

Also when I create the custom detail it is only for the Diffuse and I can't add a color. For example the Acid comes with a blue tint.

thanks!
    Lee
  • MohsenDehnavi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how to can i save my project in dDo?

i can not see save item in dDo.please help...
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It makes a project folder for you where you loaded your original image files from.

Then I think you just go file save in the Ddo panel.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    I finally managed to install this in my PC (previous versions were giving me problems).

I haven't gone in depth with it but i found a little bug/issue. When i full screen Photoshop and have dDo open, everytime i click on dDo it minimizes. So basically it means having to click again on taskbar to bring it up. As soon as i exit fullscreen it worked fine again. I don't know if this has been brought up before, so my apologies if it has.

Thanks for making this!
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Can someone help me understand the "save preset" option. I was working on a texture, just adding various material options here and there, let's say it was a steel panel. Now, I like the preset on the steel panel, I then did a save preset.

I want to apply this preset to a new texture I just opened. I see the option under the preset panels when I FIRST opened the new texture, I clicked my saved preset, dDo did it's thing and guess what, the preset didn't apply.

Is there something I'm missing? Does the preset have to be applied to an exact material color?
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would first like to say thank you to the guys at Quixel for making this awesome texturing plugin for PS. I love it so far and I am excited to see what is coming up in the future. After playing around with it for a few days I would like to post a bug that I found and a few suggestions that I would like to see implemented in the future.

For the bug:

When I opened one of my WIP PS files I kept getting this warning that a handmade layer was not in the right place in my Diffuse materials group. After looking for about an hour and a half I could not find the custom layer it was recognizing. Everything was DDO created. When I opened the Materials tab and tried to click on a Mat ID DDO would crash. I found a work around though, if you first click on Spec, Gloss, Height, or Normal tabs then go to the Materials tab and switch back to Diffuse it will not crash and it has also prevented future crashes when going straight to the Materials tab.

I currently do not use the export maps feature in DDO because I save a lot and I noticed that every save creates new .tga's or whatever image file you are using. I would like to have the option to overwrite that file instead of making a bunch of other texture files. My current workflow is to use QSM and I use the 3-point shader to view my textures in Max. I think that QSM could be the problem for the custom layer issue. My computer is a little slow for the previewer. :(

I would also like to be able to re-upload my AO, NRM or other maps anytime. So if I rebake my NRM or AO I do not have to go back and redo my texture work. If there is a way to do this please let me know, I am fairly new to the program.

DDO is a great program and it has sped up my workflow a lot. I am still getting used to it and I am still learning. Thank you and I look forward to future updates.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is their a poly count discount code for this ?
  • konraden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konraden polycounter lvl 8
    Posted this in the "what are you working on thread". But posting it here I might get a explanation of how to paint the mask? :)

Spent some time in DDO trying to do a decent weapon texture. Think Im starting to figure out how to work with the program now and how to create custom stuff. What I need to figure out now is how I can paint masks for different areas and add material detail to just that area. The mag as example would need alot more wear and scratches but I havent figured out how to just affect that area without having it be a separate material.

type54_ddo_texture.JPG
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    You can manually paint and edit the masks that Ddo creates. You would have to find the specific detail that you wanted to adjust in the layers list though and then you can tweak/change the mask that is associated with that detail.
  • DylanDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone had any luck without the use of a normal map, using a cavity map instead? For work we do a lot of pre-rendered stuff for sprites, and this could really come in handy.

Ive tried several models with a Cavity map, AO, TS map- but have gotten crap results- it seems edge detection and cavity detection suck. I don't have a normal map as there is no low poly.

Anyone have any ideas? Or perhaps a good way to generate a quick low poly for a good normal bake? I've tried decimating the model in zbrush by 50% and baking- that works ok but with many errors.

I've gotten spectacular results with normal map- now only if I could get it working well without a lowpoly for production work!

edit: Im also generating the cavity map in Xnormal by using the high poly model in both the high and low slot- if that matters(perhaps im baking cavity map wrong?)
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is some seriously great art & feedback going on in here, I can't begin to tell you how stoked I am to see this stuff!

To add to the awesomeness here are some more recently released works by fellow polycounters we just had the honor of featuring:

Feature_RobbZ_Station14.jpg

Feature_WiktorO_TheAK.jpg

Feature_StephenSG_Junkyard.jpg

Two of these are also being turned into full-fledged video breakdowns: Stephen Gibson will show his workflow on creating assets using nothing but a lowpoly, nDo2 and dDo, and Wiktor
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome news. Thanks in advance for the updates and breakdowns. :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Great news Teddy.
    • UV seam minimization
    • Mask exporter for next-gen mask centric workflows

Can you go into some more specifics about how these will work?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Release_graphic_v47.jpg

DDO 4.7 IS OUT NOW

Computron: UV seam minimization removes all cavity data near UV island borders. This means there will be less details in these traditionally problematic areas. This process utilizes the AO map background to find the UV borders, assuming the background is pitch black.

Although the mask exporter is still very basic, it allows for quickly exporting environmental and material detail groups as flattened masks, ready for use in material ID based shader pipelines. Details can be configured to be either additive or subtractive, and there is also support for exporting clean material masks without details (for base material separation):

maskexporter.png

- Teddy
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Was meant to ask it ages ago, but did anyone tried creating tilable textures with dDo? If yes do you guys get seams on edges of textures?
  • reberhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reberhart polycounter lvl 11
    I'd like to see support for position maps in dDo. This would allow for things like overall gradients and baked-in lighting that are key to more stylized texturing styles (something I haven't seen pulled off successfully in dDo).
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    I keep getting this error and my materials are fine..

2ICsD.png
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo: A texture loading module is in the works and will be out within a few releases. Right now dDo relies exclusively on procedural details for its automation, but this will soon change quite a bit with the introduction of the new material system. More info to come!

reberhart: A feature for hooking up custom ramps will be part of the next release. Just to confirm this feature will cover what you are requesting, feel free to post a few sample position maps to demonstrate the various uses you are thinking of.

Thanks Millenia: Does this error happen directly after generating the project, or after having worked with it for a while? A new build (4.8) was released this morning with a few bugfixes and new features -- is this the one you are running?
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for your reply Teddy!

Bug Report: When I'm done working, If I close Photoshop first and then I press "X" to close dDo, dDo will reopen Photoshop back (however dDo will close in same time)
  • reberhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reberhart polycounter lvl 11
    reberhart: A feature for hooking up custom ramps will be part of the next release. Just to confirm this feature will cover what you are requesting, feel free to post a few sample position maps to demonstrate the various uses you are thinking of.

Example of a position map here: http://www.allegorithmic.com/products/designer/features. The type of effect I would like to achieve with the position map (overall lighting gradient) here: http://wyksblog.com/2012/06/workshop-guidelines-and-resources/

Is this the kind of thing the custom ramps will enable?

Thanks,

Roger
  • Pynion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pynion null
    Currently unzip is breaking all my DDO files, the first time it threw in new folders and deleted the main folders (diffuse spec height etc) in photoshop. Now the files refuse to unzip. PS does some zooming in and out and then it stops. Other times unzip puts all the layers in a random area of the document, offsetting one of the groups by a large margin. (about 100-500 pixels in a random direction. For example the diffuse layer ended up mostly off screen.

Update: So it looks like after I unzipped it, it removed the zipped file in the DONOTDELETE folder. So that's the reason it just zooms in and out not unzipping.
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was there a fix for .obj's not showing correctly in the viewer when exported from Max? (normals are checked) Thanks