Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dDo beta is OUT!

Replies

• RitualSynergY
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    Speaking of rocks, I messed around with a few settings to see what I could get my first time around and using some mud and edge effects I really liked the added effects they gave my textures for some rocks I did recently. Cheers Teddy this program is really something else!

rockgroup001.png
  • Ravenok
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    What about creating your own presets?

Is that possible? If not, will it ever be?

Couldn't find an answer to this in the thread so far.

I'd love the ability to have my own presets, to still have my own "touch" on the textures. It'll make it possible for me to integrate it into any pipeline without worrying about it "forcing" me into a very specific look.
  • Electro
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Can this purely go off the obj vertex normals? I have a medium poly model that I have no intention of making a normalmap for. Can't seem to get the edge worn effects working without a normalmap (tried feeding it a blank normalmap just to get it to stop complaining).
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Yes Blaken you can create your own presets.
  • Ravenok
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a guide somewhere? Or anything I can use to learn how to do that?
  • Bubba91873
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Blaken wrote: »

yes if you went to there website and read and watch the videos it shows you.

http://quixel.se/
  • empeck
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Electro wrote: »
    Can this purely go off the obj vertex normals? I have a medium poly model that I have no intention of making a normalmap for. Can't seem to get the edge worn effects working without a normalmap (tried feeding it a blank normalmap just to get it to stop complaining).

I'd like to know that too.
  • thomas_bijoy
    Have been trying dDo on an old model last couple of day .. Very promising indeed :)

.. definitely would be good to have the ability to load a base texture for the different material ... like metal , cloth etc maybe a button next to where you change the materials color ...

post01k.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11

We recently released a tutorial on dDo, which you can find here: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuVzQKJjKVo"]Introduction to dDo - Basic workflow - YouTube[/ame]

Expect more soon. :)
  • Ravenok
    Offline / Send Message
    Disting wrote: »
    We recently released a tutorial on dDo, which you can find here: Introduction to dDo - Basic workflow - YouTube

Expect more soon. :)

Thanks, I was asking about a guide to creating your own presets, though. :)
  • Grimmstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome tutorial Wiktor, really well explained
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks, I was asking about a guide to creating your own presets, though. :)

Well... after you have done your stuff you press save preset, not that hard :)
  • Ravenok
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... after you have done your stuff you press save preset, not that hard :)

Maybe it wasn't the best way to put it...

What I mean is, I want to create my own material, use my own textures, and use them with the dDo system to speed up things.

If I'm creating art for a cartoonish project, or any kind of stylized project that requires textures with very specific visuals, I can't use dDo's power to speed up my workflow...

So creating my own materials, will allow me to not only speed up my workflow, but maintain my own look, stay within the art director's guidelines, etc...
  • Popolo
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Quick question: if you buy dDo now, will you be able to use the beta until the final is released?
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaken: Ah, got you now, I requested sort of the same on the last page, I don't think this is possible at the moment.
    From what I have figured dDo uses photoshop filters in a clever way.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    After a couple nights of playing with this tool, I have a couple objective criticisms I'd like to see brought into the final release. However I should warn that if some of my points are already implemented into the program, then I just overlooked them, and that is very plausible.

-If I'm not mistaken, the only way to use different maps after a project has begun is to restart a project? The ability to swap maps/ low poly meshes would be huge.

-The ability to toggle the ground play during the preview

-When adding material details, if I use the search feature or filter results, the software deselects the "preview" feature and I have to recrop my preview space. This isn't a huge deal, but does slow down the workflow. Even an option to not require a crop when previewing would be handy, since Photoshop controls like zoom and scrub are still active.

-To fix seams, I often have to manually play with alpha maps. An option to change the alpha on diffuse and see it carry that over to the spec and gloss would be awesome.

-An option to alphabetize material details would be cool. Because the search and filter features requires recrop, I often have to scroll around until I find the detail I'm looking for. I recognize that they're arranged by type of detail, but I'm not too familiar with all the types yet to quickly sort through the list.

-An option to bookmark "preview crops". I had four materials, and if I had four cropped windows I just bounce between, that'd speed things up tremendously.

-An option to bind the selected "export maps" to a hotkey, like F1, would be huge when previewing in something like Marmoset (which I found I prefer over the built in previewer).

I know it sounds like I'm ragging on this a lot, but in all honesty I'm extremely impressed with this software and will continue to use it. But these are just some things that slowed me down during my workflow while I used this program.
  • BrendtheCow
    Offline / Send Message
    BrendtheCow polycounter lvl 8
    -The ability to toggle the ground play during the preview

Open the previewer, press "space", then press "Tab". It will show you all of the things you have control over. :)
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    Open the previewer, press "space", then press "Tab". It will show you all of the things you have control over. :)
    Hey thanks bud, I didn't realize there was another set of options in the preview window. The sub menu does not seem to have the feature to toggle the ground plane (previous typo) but it does have a feature to load a new preview mesh, which is a huge nicety I overlooked when I made my list of crit.
  • teddybergsman
    Great list of feedback BringMeASunkist. You can toggle the ground plane by pressing C, and it is possible to propagate mask tweaks to all maps by CTRL-clicking the mask button for any detail element or material mask. You can quick-export maps by pressing the small save icon next to the previewer toggle, although I agree a hotkey would be much nicer! I'll look into implementing this shortly, together with the bulk of your other suggestions.

Blaken: As Stromberg90 pointed out there is currently no custom texture support, but trust me, things are on the way... big things :) This feature will be a while, but we hope it'll be worth the wait.

Popolo: If you grab a license now, you'll be able to license your eternal copy immediately, replacing the finite beta license.

Also for those who missed it there's a new release out! A few of the additions:
    - Feature for combining pre-existing diffuse, specular and gloss maps with dDo's material definition capabilities (as requested by BringMeASunkist)
    - Base color separation now more accurate, faster and more robust (should also result in fewer separation error alerts, just like the one you reported Joshua)
    - Fixed bug where dDo would just sit in taskbar refusing to become visible

Grab your copy here!
  • BrendtheCow
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: Should have read Teddy's post before responding :D
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Quick question about the diffuse map, if we have a diffuse base this seems to just display over the top of everything else so I'm not able to see anything I created with dDo. How is it intended to be used?
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Took me a couple of hours to get the workflow of the program ( colormap took most of the time to get correct) but it was definitely worth it...
    worked on a simple mesh but knowing what is what the next one will take a couple of minutes to texture.
    chest.jpg

Great program guys...preordering this for sure as a Christmas gift to myself :)
    Eager to see the final version of this program.

as someone mentioned earlier "this is a game changer"

edit:/ Not sure if im missing a tick box but was there an option to export the scratches and dirt that was created into the normal map as well??
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Ran the height map generated from Ddo through CrazyBump and overlayed it over the highpoly bake...works great...
  • Artaani
    Offline / Send Message
    Artaani polycounter lvl 7
    Oh, holly...
    This is just revolution in texture making!
    Epicness work! Thanks!
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Teddy I did post this on the bug report forum, but not sure if it has been picked up.

"
    When using the custom detail maker, if I use palette knife filter or the cloud filter, might be more and press the white box at opacity to reference it in the final detail.
    I get a error that says "ReferenceError: paletteKnifeFill is undefined"

Windows 7
    Photoshop CS6 64-bit
    "
  • badmouse
    Offline / Send Message
    badmouse polycounter lvl 8
    Here a question, how to size the effects?

If my texture is small and the effects looks bigs, how to scale down them?
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    What I would like when using presets is for dDo to ask you what color you want associated with what material from the preset.
    Cause if I use one of the default presets now, I have no idea what it will look like.
  • krygon
    Offline / Send Message
    krygon polycounter lvl 9
    hi all here a car i textured using dDo. love the program but i feel if used a lot it will very obvious and think that there wiil be loads of models that have textures that look the same.

SiFul.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    krygon: Not bad :)
    One thing I could not tell this had been textured with dDo and I can't see that in other textures either.
    Also you got as much control as you want when using it, so if you keep using a default preset then of course it will look the same, but for me that's not the point of dDo.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    @Teddy I would like to be able to move the Environmental effects order in the dDo window. Such as creating dirt, then scratches, then chipped paint. But be able to move the order at which they are drawn to see different effects. :-)

and go....
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    single.jpg
    Got it dialed in...can't wait to apply this to older projects during christmas break....
    in any case Ddo is a greattt starting point to build your textures upon...
  • Assassin0323
    Offline / Send Message
    Assassin0323 polycounter lvl 7
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »
    @Teddy I would like to be able to move the Environmental effects order in the dDo window. Such as creating dirt, then scratches, then chipped paint. But be able to move the order at which they are drawn to see different effects. :-)

and go....

Yah this was the same thing I was hoping for. The ability to move presets so you could see effects in different orders without having to delete them and remake just to test.
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    You could move them manually in the Layer menu, but you would have to repeat that for Spec, Gloss, and Height. And I'm not sure if that will update or break something in the dDo interface, perhaps it recognizes the change if you refresh it.
  • Zepic
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Anybody else getting this error with the latest build? I can't install it...

RdUOm.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Zepic wrote: »
    Anybody else getting this error with the latest build? I can't install it...

Hello!

Have you uninstalled dDo before installing the new one? And where are you installing dDo to (drive and folder)?
  • Zepic
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Hello!

Have you uninstalled dDo before installing the new one? And where are you installing dDo to (drive and folder)?

No, this was the first time downloading and installing it at work.

This error pops up immediately, it doesn't even give me an option to what drive I'd like to install.
  • BrendtheCow
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic wrote: »
    No, this was the first time downloading and installing it at work.

This error pops up immediately, it doesn't even give me an option to what drive I'd like to install.

Do you have to get it IT approved? I have that issue with installing anything (though not the same error text every time), and it's because of restrictions placed on our computers.
  • Zepic
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Hello!

Okay, don't panic, I found the problem. :)
    I cleared everything out of my browser, history, cache, downloads etc...
    I re-downloaded and now it installs fine.
    Thanks for the quick replies btw.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Fingus wrote: »
    You could move them manually in the Layer menu, but you would have to repeat that for Spec, Gloss, and Height. And I'm not sure if that will update or break something in the dDo interface, perhaps it recognizes the change if you refresh it.

Yes this works. I closed down dDo first, moved all the groups and re-opened and it updated. Kind of a hassle, but a work around for now.
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    definitely checking this program out. Seems to save a lot of time. Thanks
  • kasp0021
    Offline / Send Message
    kasp0021 polycounter lvl 6
    I decided to give it a go and was surpriced by the capabilities of this program. The sheer amount of presets at your disposal is truly fascinating.
    I finally have a quick way to make a basic diffuse and specular map.
    fGZgr
    Definitely a buy when i get the money required.
  • teddybergsman
    Stromberg90: Thank you very much for the report! I have been able to reproduce this thanks to the error description you provided, and a fix will be available as of next build. Also, regarding specifying color-material links prior to generation for ultimate control, this is on the to-do!

krygon: Thanks for sharing!

Jet_Pilot: Changing the order of single details and entire detail groups is coming up soon :)

badmouse: Interesting request! All details are small sized by default, and some of them have custom scaling parameters to make them bigger -- however there is no current feature to make them even smaller. I'll experiment with such a feature.

A heads-up, we're preparing for a new release tonight. This will bring a tiny bit more insight into the material color matching system, as well as adding 68 new physically correct quick-reflectance materials (meaning they'll look awesome in Marmoset out-of-the-box :D). All these materials have corresponding color keys that we will release in the form of PS swatches and an FBX with phong materials. The FBX can be used for rapidly setting color IDs on your mesh, which will play ball with dDo when baked to a color map. Less talk, more work!

Also, don't miss the new speed contest we just put up! Batch multiple assets using your own environment or material preset, post your results, and win some dDo licenses :D

contest2.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work teddy, looking forward to trying it out this weekend :D
  • teddybergsman
    Alright, dDo 3.8 is now available -- the notable changes:
    • Upgraded quick-reflectance feature and added a whopping 68 physically based materials
    • Added PS swatch for painting color maps in PS following the dDo material standard
    • Added FBX with the same standard material IDs for baking color maps from any 3D application
    • Added basic custom layer support for manually adding extra graphics (textures, text layers, hand-painted tweaks) to material groups
    • Fixed error alert in custom detail creator when exposing certain tweakables
    A quick note for the technical artist: By creating materials with the standard swatches/phongs, and selecting the new material preset "Standard Reflectance" when generating the project, you'll automatically get basic material definition:

dDo_beta_02c.JPG

This feature is in development, and the next step involves adding specific detail presets to each material. Every material that can be automatically generated using the standard palette is also available as quick-reflectance:

dDo_beta_02d.JPG
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful material swatches! That looks like an awesome library and I look forward to trying to out.
  • TSM
    Alright, dDo 3.8 is now available -- the notable changes:
    • Upgraded quick-reflectance feature and added a whopping 68 physically based materials
    • Added PS swatch for painting color maps in PS following the dDo material standard
    • Added FBX with the same standard material IDs for baking color maps from any 3D application
    • Added basic custom layer support for manually adding extra graphics (textures, text layers, hand-painted tweaks) to material groups
    • Fixed error alert in custom detail creator when exposing certain tweakables
    A quick note for the technical artist: By creating materials with the standard swatches/phongs, and selecting the new material preset "Standard Reflectance" when generating the project, you'll automatically get basic material definition:

Wat. i don't even mind_blown.gif
  • tristamus
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Wow.....wow....
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • TSM
    bug in 3.8

during generation, i alt tabbed to chrome and ddo started spitting out numerous errors, which were all like Klg5Y.jpg

I am using CS6 and from using a pregenerated normal map and diffuse, i was using the worn weapon preset (i think it's called that?). after i forced close the app, i relaunched it and it is now perma-stuck doing something (there is a cute process open under dDo called "thinking"). i cannot access any ui elements at all.

EDIT : dDo now refuses to start at all.
  • teddybergsman
    TSM! Add me on skype (teddybeargbg) and we'll sort this out ASAP. Really appreciate the quick report. The dDo process is probably still running - can you confirm you've killed it?

Edit: I've now been able to reproduce the bug -- uncheck "CUST. LAYERS" in the automation hub and you will be fine. Getting this fixed up right away and will make a new release shortly.