Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dDo beta is OUT!

Replies

• teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New build is up addressing the bug reported by TSM. Huge thanks and my apologies for the hassle!

- Teddy
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Just fantastic :)
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assassin0323 polycounter lvl 7
    Alright, dDo 3.8 is now available -- the notable changes:
    • Upgraded quick-reflectance feature and added a whopping 68 physically based materials
    • Added PS swatch for painting color maps in PS following the dDo material standard
    • Added FBX with the same standard material IDs for baking color maps from any 3D application
    • Added basic custom layer support for manually adding extra graphics (textures, text layers, hand-painted tweaks) to material groups
    • Fixed error alert in custom detail creator when exposing certain tweakables

clap_zps1d348017.gif
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey teddy, how is this being done?
    "
    Added basic custom layer support for manually adding extra graphics (textures, text layers, hand-painted tweaks) to material groups"

I did not figure out it yesterday.
  • richwderby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richwderby polycounter lvl 6
    I cant seem to open dDo, the icon just stays in the tray at the bottom :(

The trial part pops up at first, it loads Photoshop and then the icon is just stuck in the tray
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    This looks amazing, it makes me want to start modelling again.
  • Otixa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still doesn't start with newest release as of now. Just launches Photoshop and sits in taskbar. Nothing else :(
    Dying to try it! Please make it work! :(
  • netnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    netnut polycounter lvl 5
    I'm curious whether anyone else here has had the dDo copy protection go berserk.

I've now been locked out of the beta for a week, unable to even enter a legit key if I had one -- and all it took to trigger this "tamper lockout" mechanism? Windows CHKDSK fixing indexes on my C: SSD, after an abrupt blue-screen. That's it.

From what I understand, they have little low-level control of this 3rd party copy protection system, so I've gotten very limited response from them on the issue.

It's unfortunate that they feel inclined to use such a potentially obtrusive system, because as it stands, I wouldn't even be able to use it if I bought it. :|
  • Marchwarden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't seem to get height information to register on the material side, but it seems to work fine for environmental effects. Is this intentional?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dDo 3.9 is out! Now comes with support for drag-dropping details & detail groups, as well as quickly dragging details between groups (I'm looking at you Jet_Pilot :D). Detail order plays a huge roll when telling the story of textures, so give it a go and find out for yourself!

Otixa & richwderby: Big thanks for the reports. I've made some changes in the latest version that hopefully address your issues. Please let me know if they still persist, or if you notice any change in start-up behavior.

Stromberg90: This is a pretty place-holder solution while a more dynamic system is being developed, but for now it adds a group with 6 custom layers per material group, which exist to be populated with any custom graphics or touches. Previously dDo UI redrawing could spaz out when custom layers were added to material groups -- this is the first step to allowing adding custom stuff to these groups safely, and will be much improved.

netnut: I'm still doing everything I can here to get you going; the only thing we can confirm so far is that the Windows disk check went horribly wrong and corrupted the beta licensing assemblies, although the license provider has yet to find out why a complete manual deletion followed by a clean install wont resolve the issue. Out of 16,000 users this is the only reported case so far, but one case is one too many. Feel free to add me on Skype (teddybeargbg) and I'll try to help you out as much as I can.

Marchwarden: There should be no difference between enviornmental & material details when it comes to height filtering -- this seems to be a bug. Don't hesitate to send over 2 comparative shots and I'll try to figure out what caused the issue!

Big focus on new details and presets this week: feel free to request which kind of details you're missing and I'll make sure to provde!

- Teddy
  • TSM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TSM
    For the life of me I cannot get dDo to generate a usable (non-gray) gloss map without first selecting an environmental preset. Is this standard dDo behavior or am I speaking from strict naivety?
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Noticed a few un-answered questions regarding this on the support forum.
    Seems the tool is more geared towards unique UV maps, apposed to tileable UV's is this correct or am a missing an option to tile the generated details somewhere?
  • trebor777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trebor777 polycounter lvl 10
    Hello,
    Don't know if anyone mentionned this (reading 13pages can be a bit tedious) so:

Any way to "reopen" a started project with DDo?

I'm on 3.9 x64, on CS5.1 x64, win7.

(If anyone knows any workaround for this)
    Some issues: Material sliders do not slide, must double click to change the value. else it snaps to 0 or 100, also can't change any detail settings (color, mask & such), and so changing those slider values won't be applied on the texture.

Some suggestions:
    - A way to change load a mesh directly in the previewer.
    - Reopenning a saved project -> you can't just restart everytime if dDo crashes when the actual generated psd seems fine.
    - Tweaking preview lighting, ideally ability to load a custom shader, where is that huge is coming from?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    TSM wrote: »
    For the life of me I cannot get dDo to generate a usable (non-gray) gloss map without first selecting an environmental preset. Is this standard dDo behavior or am I speaking from strict naivety?

Are you talking about an RGB gloss map, or a gloss map that's not flat grey? If the latter, this was done (mostly) in ddo without an environ preset.

@trebor777, opening the psd and ddo works for me? Haven't tried after crashes though, since ddo hasn't yet crashed on me.

Not auto updating from 3.8 to 3.9 either, unless that is intentional? Downloading it manually anyway.
  • trebor777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it hasn't crashed either, but I just don't get my psd "recognized" as an open project, doesn't reload the mesh either.
    As far as I can see from the files it creates, there is no "project" file in itself(unless it's stored somewhere else), (containing references to the original files, used materials, settings, lowpoly, etc...(a good old xml file :p)), just a psd and the extracted maps for the previewer.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    So AWESOME! Thanks
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trebor777: Regarding the unresponsive sliders, get the latest build again and this will be fixed. It was a bug induced by the new drag-drop feature but has now been taken care of. As for hooking up your PSD with dDo (reopening a started project): yes, this can be done at any time! Just click the refresh button at the very top of the window, next to the minimize, maximize and exit buttons. The PSD contains all information needed to reconstruct all UI connections. You can load a mesh in the previewer by pressing space to bring up the previewer UI, and then clicking the mesh loading button. You'll also be able to tweak some basic previewer options; this will get a lot more love down the line.

Fwap: dDo behaves equally on tiled/unique UVs, and is meant to work with any kind of asset -- some details are still missing tileable options however, while some support it.

Bek: Thanks for reporting the auto-update issue, this is now fixed. It came down to a badly formatted changelog XML. Thanks again for spotting!

TSM: You're right, the gloss map is constructed from environmental and material presets. AO and the like is not baked into the gloss, as having shadows regulate the roughness of the surface would bias the reflectance. Hope that makes sense!

As a general note, make sure you download the latest build if you downloaded last night's release, since this fixes a bug introduced by the new upgrades. I also threw in some other small fixes, including a fix for mesh/textures not properly loading in the previewer on launch, and a feature for toggling previewer normal bump for faster hot-reloading (Edit>Preferences>Previewer>Bump normals).

- Teddy
  • trebor777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for clearing all this questions !! :D, I'll explore a bit more (I was going to wait for final release)!
  • RitualSynergY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    Hey teddy apologies if this has been covered already but when I Alt-Tab through my work dDo seems to have at least four to five tabs showing at any given time. Although this only shows up when I'm Alt-Tabbing.

ddoi.jpg
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    so spent a few days playing with dDo and nDo. pretty nifty softwares ^^

more shots in my thread if anyones interested http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1733399#post1733399

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n73nTgUMdD8]Scfi Fi Corridor - YouTube[/ame]

corridor1n.jpg
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Electro wrote: »
    Can this purely go off the obj vertex normals? I have a medium poly model that I have no intention of making a normalmap for. Can't seem to get the edge worn effects working without a normalmap (tried feeding it a blank normalmap just to get it to stop complaining).

Didn't get a reply so maybe it was missed, figured I'd try quoting myself and see how that goes :)
  • ikarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikarus polycounter lvl 10
    Hey everyone, I'm new here, new in the sense that I never really participated at a discussion here before...
    So here's my first, I'm still learning a lot, i did this model/uv/smoothedge bake this weekend I'm basically working on my free time so this is just the mesh and a basic bake. (ao/norm)

I managed today to sketch(overpaint) some texture work and then i will try this new cool tool :)

Wish me luck guys and hope u enjoy !
  • ikarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikarus polycounter lvl 10
    back here again, sorry for double post but I tried opening dDo and nothing happens, there is an icon on my toolbar but nothing is happening. Am i doing something wrong ?
    Edit: apparently dDo doesn't work on Photoshop CS4 only CS6
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    I have two questions:

- Can you edit custom details after they have been created? So after I have created a custom detail with the custom detail creator. Then later I would like to make changes to it. Is this possible?

- Is it possible to change the values of custom details after they have been added to a material or environmental? Or is the only way to change them, to delete them and add a new one?
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Hey teddy apologies if this has been covered already but when I Alt-Tab through my work dDo seems to have at least four to five tabs showing at any given time. Although this only shows up when I'm Alt-Tabbing.

ddoi.jpg

Yeah this is really annoying. I've found if you select the wrong one it does the equivalent of 'show desktop' and minimises everything which is a right pain.

A question, is this layer i've circled actually meant to do anything? As far as i can tell it doesn't and fill colouring one of the custom ones does what it looks like it's meant to?
    54gns.jpg
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    I would just like to ask, exactly how do I use this? How do you even go about setting up the color stuff for it to generate things? That's the part nobody has attempted to explain in regards to this yet. do you just make a bunch of colored shapes on one layer or do you need it to be on multiple layers? Do I HAVE to make that part in Photoshop or can I use another program to make the color thingamajig? Is there any specific way that the colors need to be set up?

This thing looks amazing, don't get me wrong, but I seriously can't understand what I'm supposed to do in order to make this magic happen.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm guessing you would apply flat colors to the pieces of your high poly mesh and bake out a diffuse map.
  • richwderby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richwderby polycounter lvl 6
    ikarus wrote: »
    back here again, sorry for double post but I tried opening dDo and nothing happens, there is an icon on my toolbar but nothing is happening. Am i doing something wrong ?
    Edit: apparently dDo doesn't work on Photoshop CS4 only CS6

Ive tried it on CS5 & CS6 still the same problem :(
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    What Justin said. In Maya it's pretty easy. Just click on Diffuse map under transfer maps. You can also apply different vertex colors to the parts of the high res that you want each material on. xNormal can read that vertex color. Probably have to use FBX. Maya OBJ doesn't seem to like to export vertex color. I haven't got that to work. I use the Diffuse map under transfer maps instead.
  • Strongarm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strongarm polycounter lvl 4
    The Flat color map can be generated many ways. I use vector masking in photoshop.
    You could do it high poly paint(seems very slow to me) Xnormal can multi color uv
    islands(that really doesn't help you for controlling detail inside of a complex map)
    I found vector masks with color layers with your normal map as reference seemed
    fast and accurate. I do not know of any other auto solution but Xnormal.
    It didn't give me the control I needed. Once set up variations are fast.
    The product is in flux and they are really adding features fast. I am sure
    the documentation will get better. Here is my crude attempt at helping others.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice helmet variations and workflow!
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    that helps me understand it alot better, thanks for that! shouldn't be too hard to make something now that I can wrap my mind around this.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Does anyone know how to get the features working without the use of a normalmap?
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Is it me or does dDo work better on larger size textures? It seems to be better spread. Also i think Wiktor works with a big size texture in his tutorial to(big = 4096). i mean it give very different results. it just takes ages to process 4096 textures on my machine. hmmmm just saying
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    I would be useful to have the following features:

- Custom patterns (Like fabric etc).
    - Custom layer effects
    - Ability to change Details settings after they have been added
    - Ability to modify a (custom) detail after it has been created with the detail creator
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    - does anyone else have the problem that the previewer does not show all polys?
    It basically shows my mesh, yes, but not every poly. Looks like each other is deleted/hidden.

- I can´t select materials by clicking the base colour. It always changes to the background, no matter where i click.
  • GUYVER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GUYVER polycounter lvl 10
    C86G wrote: »
    - does anyone else have the problem that the previewer does not show all polys?
    It basically shows my mesh, yes, but not every poly. Looks like each other is deleted/hidden.

May be this helps

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1725480&postcount=219
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Thanks GUYVER, it works <3
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the reports and requests folks! BIG update this time around! Lots of new features, presets and details:
    • 7 new organic presets (including rock, moss and fabric)
    • 4 new organic details (cell blobs, organic surface, wooly surface, dust and clumps)
    • Detail layer effects support in presets (inner glow, outer glow, inner shadow and drop shadow)
    • Now possible to generate material presets without loading color map (handy for single-element materials)
    • Blend mode support for details and groups in presets
    Get dDo 4.0 here: http://quixel.se/ddo/ddo-download

OccultMonk: Custom layer effects is now IN, and one of the next steps regarding this feature is to get a proper pattern system up and running. There is currently no dDo integrated UI for setting layer effects (this is instead done as usual using the PS LayerFX dialog) -- as soon as a dDo UI is in place, advanced and customized patterns will be a piece of cake. Regarding your other two requests, these are both coming up.

Bertmac: dDo works with any kind of texture resolutions (although PS will be slow when running hunders of thousands of pixel operations in 4K resolution), it mostly comes down to how presets are designed. Some presets contain really large-scale details (intended to work with 2K+ textures with standard texel density), which could create badly proportioned effects on smaller-sized textures, or large textures with a small texel density. In the end, the best presets will always be the ones you come up with yourself, tailored to your workflow.

Electro: Sure! You can render a cavity map from a high-poly mesh using tools such as xNormal, which is the only map dDo needs to its thing.

Skillmister & RitualSynergY: Sorry about that. I'll see what can be done.

As for the new release, here's a few of the new presets:
    forest_rock.jpg
    Preset "Forest Rock"

stone.jpg
    Preset "Stone"

worn_cloth.jpg
    Preset "Worn Cloth"

Also, don't miss that there's now support for adding layer effects to your details. This makes a HUGE difference as you'll be able to create advanced color variation, bleeding, shadowing and customized bump mapping for any detail, allowing every subtle detail to behave with much greater control:

layerfx.jpg

- Teddy
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Another bug i seem to be getting at the moment.

The sliders for DSGH in material details don't work properly by clicking and dragging. If i drag the slider it only moves to 0 and wont move from it. Clicking on the bar will choose new values though. Also can't seem to click in the number boxes to change it that way.

edit: scratch that it seems to work again now i've updated :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assassin0323 polycounter lvl 7
    Just wanted to report a few bugs with dDo 4.0:

• Auto-Update isn't working
    • Just had a crash in dDo(not sure why but no big deal I couldn't reproduce so its probably on my end) so I killed it in Task Manager. After killing the program went to restart it, the dDo logo would pop up and then disappear with nothing else happening. So I looked in the Processes tab and it was still running. Killed the process in the Processes tab and then it worked fine. Probably just a little bug figure i would pass it along.
    • I was looking in the Task Manager in Applications and noticed that dDo has 4 tasks running. I get the dDo and the Automation Hub, but what are the other two doing? "AlertWindow" and "thinking" don't really seem to be doing anything. Not really a problem just wondering.

12-14-20121-27-25PM_zps79ec8f76.jpg
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for answering that, right now i get the best results in 2k and up textures. thanks
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Umm, how can I use my own saved material presets? When I try to load them, there only pops up the material window with the default presets. Theres no chance to browse for my own?

Wha am I missing here?
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Teddy, your work as of late is godly, incredible, fantastic, every great adjective. Seriously, rolling out all these updates this quickly must be tough work. Great job, and keep it up!!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    @Assassin, autoupdate from 3.9 to 4.0 worked for me.

@C86G, when I saved a material preset it was available automatically in the material window when starting a new project. So since it's not there for you it's probably a bug.
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there,
    when i go into fullscreen with the previewer, the top menu bar disappears. Making it impossible to close or shrink down the window again. i also tryied it with the default shortcut keys like Alt and Spacebar, then N (or X to maximise; R to restore).
    but it go's all to normal when i restart dDo.

thanks
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dDo 4.1 is out! There are quite a few new feature additions to play with:
    • New hard-surface preset demonstrating the new layerFX feature
    • New organic leather preset
    • Improved object space blending to follow detail contours
    • Upgraded base color separation feature, ensuring no superfluous masks are created
    • Added dark and black leather quick-reflectance options
    • Dark and orange palette preset
    • New leather detail
    • 3 new filters for the custom detail creator
    • Made sure Alert and Thinking processes do not show up in list of processes
    There is now a new default preset:

dirt_n_scratch_fx.jpg

This preset is made to demonstrate some of the cool new things that can be done with the layerFX feature. Also, don't miss the new worn leather preset:

worn_leather.jpg

tristamus: <3

Assassin0323 & Skillmister: The redundant processes bug is now fixed. Thanks for bringing it up!

Bertmac: I appreciate the report. Were you by any chance using multiple monitors when this issue appeared? Let me know and I'll know better where to go next.

- Teddy
  • BrendtheCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrendtheCow polycounter lvl 8
    Nice! I'll have to play with the leather preset when I get home (have a character to texture, and have been doing my own leather tests).

Any chance you could add .dds to you list of texture exports, and maybe an option to select what type of dds file (dxt1/5/5nm/etc.)? :)

Thanks again for the fast turnaround on these updates! The tool is amazing! :D
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    seems my beta expired... any way to extend this? get around that 30 day window?