Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dDo beta is OUT!

Replies

• gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^^^^^^^

edit:
    triangulated my mesh and re imported and now shows fine:) BONZA!
  • ratatatatat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Material presets aren't working for me. When I add a preset to a material (selecting material via color mode in ddo) it adds it too the whole mesh, instead of just the masked area. Anyone having this issue? Im using 3ds max.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I still get the offset errors with presets:

sfkw58tl.jpg

+ is there a workaround for seams? Let´s say you have a grip from a pistol with 2 UV chunks (and a good normal map + AO without any visible seams). dDO will create seams.
  • Daves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daves polycounter lvl 9
    My Workaround was another UV Layout, If you have a seem on a Border its harder to see. Yeah offset Erros with Presets... use single Materials until its fixed ;)
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Umm, I get the offset even if I start from scratch and try to make my own material : /
  • Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
    Hello,

Is there going to be another beta period for dDo?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bugs related to zipping have been tracked down and killed -- thanks Pynion and C86G for reporting! Elod.H: Although the beta is over we're looking into resetting the trial on a global scale, seeing as the new release of dDo introduces such fundamental improvements.

On this note, I'm absolutely stoked to announce dDo 5.0: besides an insanse amount of improvements, we've teamed up with the awesome Marmoset Co to bring you full dDo + Marmoset Skyshop integration:

Release_graphic_v50.jpg

dDo is now also faster than ever before -- previewer texture loading alone is 1000% quicker. A few real-time shots grabbed straight from dDo Marmoset:

chainsaw_05.jpg

ak_01.jpg

chainsaw_01.jpg

ak_02.jpg

Can't wait to see what you do with this :D:D:D

GET DDO 5.0 HERE

- Teddy
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Oh man Teddy, cant wait to test it out when iam home !
    Please dont sell it to autodesk or adobe :P
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    Holy crap this is amazing!!
  • Marchwarden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic, excited for the performance boosts.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This synergy is amazing!
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Umm. I purchased dDO last Christmas. Had 4.7 installed. It was registered, then installed 5.0 from pop up window. Now it says that Open beta 0 days of 45 remaining?

EDIT: Full version install fixed this!
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    What are the benefits of using dDo with Marmoset? Speed? More options?
    I've never used Marmoset before.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    The benefits are more options and features in the 3Do preview renderer which include a really nice physically based shader (Although to what degree its physically based, I am not sure, and I would like some specifics about the shader) with an image based lighting system.

It's built in, so you're not using marmoset toolbag with it, but the preview just has marmoset technology built into it now.

Please reset the trial period soon! :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Although the beta is over we're looking into resetting the trial on a global scale, seeing as the new release of dDo introduces such fundamental improvements.
    - Teddy

Any update on if/when this will happen?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Really looking forward to trying the update out, so hope for the same answer as Computron
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Trying out dDo for the first time with the new Marm update. In marmoset I always need to flip my green channel to get my normals to display correctly. They have a check box for this in Marm proper but dDo dose not. I really dont want to have to manually flip my textures normal, would love just a tick box :)
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Autocon, I think there is an option to do it, I think it was under edit dropdown menu :)
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Is there a way to stop it exporting the maps every single time i tweak something? Slows the whole process down massively.

E: Ah, unchecking them in the export menu does just that..

E: Maybe not
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    untick arrow in the previewer next to "close" button, should do.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo wrote: »

Winner :) Thanks
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    I want this so bad but I should probably learn to texture properly the old fashioned way first ;_;
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoozeBeard, you are not far off, however analyzing how some of the presets work and techniques behind them can give you a lot of valuable information :)
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've actually found it really useful to look at how dDo does things and translate it to my own work :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Gheromo wrote: »

Where is this?
    My brain has left me it seems :P
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since I got the update I have noticed Ddo is hanging as a process in the background long after closing it and using a fair about of RAM. Just though I would report it here.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Just starting playing with this update this morning. It's super fast now but, i've noticed quite a few bugs relating to this release:-

On CS5 extended I get an error when creating maps. Something about the "select" function not being available.

I full screened the skyshop preview window on my second monitor and it jumped to my first with no way of collapsing or resizeing the window.

I can't resize the preview window at all so it's fullscreen all the time.

A lot of the time the preview doesn't seem to update with my changes.

I still get the dDo windows dissapearing randomly even when working directly with it.

As mats effect said I also get the dDo process hanging around in the background.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    double again T_T
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I wanted to try dDo out today, but it doesn't start,

I get to the licence and try screen, continue, photoshop starts up but nothing more,

the icon is in the start field and its running a small window that I can't get to

any ideas? im running cs5
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Look if there´s a process running in you task manager. If so, shut it down. Then start dDO again.
    If that does not help, open PS before dDo.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah sadly non of that works :(
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where is this?
    My brain has left me it seems :P

The refresh icon
  • Voxel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the first I've heard of this tool and I can't really say how I feel about a computer algorithm doing my art for me. I've always been very hands on and this just seems like cutting corners to me. Regardless, it is still interesting just nothing I would consider using.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the great reports! I'll have a new release ready tonight hopefully addressing all of it.

Jonas Ronnegard: Try moving your installation folder to D:/ and let me know if this helps. The dead-lock could be due to UAC restrictions.

Autocon: In Edit>Preferences, go to Normal Swizzle and check Flip Y. This ensures your normal will be flipped on import (and flipped back again on export, if this additional option is checked). If you want to flip the normal in an already generated project, simply look up the "Normal map" layer in the "Normal" group of your PSD, invert the G channel, and you will be good to go. Note: there's a bug in 5.0 where diffuse/spec/gloss maps can get flipped when exported manually -- this has been fixed in the upcoming build.

Computron: With a little bit of luck, the trial will be reset as of next release.

Also, for those experiencing an unusual amount of crashes, try uninstalling before installing the new version -- some users have reported file conflicts being the cause the crash. This is fixed with the upcoming installer.

Thanks again!

- Teddy
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tack Teddy!

That totally fixed it :), and thank you for the good service, helping me in
    2 forums in one day haha.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Autocon: In Edit>Preferences, go to Normal Swizzle and check Flip Y. This ensures your normal will be flipped on import (and flipped back again on export, if this additional option is checked). If you want to flip the normal in an already generated project, simply look up the "Normal map" layer in the "Normal" group of your PSD, invert the G channel, and you will be good to go. Note: there's a bug in 5.0 where diffuse/spec/gloss maps can get flipped when exported manually -- this has been fixed in the upcoming build.

Sweet thanks for the info! Tried just hitting the check mark when I found that and it did nothing. Will flip the green in the normal map on the layer.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is now a new stability upgrade addressing hopefully all reports -- thanks again everyone for posting your findings! The improvements include:
    • Fixed bug where dDo would hang around in the process list after being closed - Thanks to mats effect
    • Fixed bug where all maps would get channels flipped on export, and not just normals - Props to Autocon
    • Fixed zipping bug where zip/unzip would break if gloss, bump and normal had not been generated in the project
    • Fixed bug where previewer would maximize on primary screen, but previewer window frame would maximize on secondary screen - Thank you Irreal
    • Fixed SetLayer error when generating projects with resolutions below 2K
    • Fixed issue where previewer would sometimes not update textures on launch, and added option for toggling texture force-loading on launch - Thanks again Irreal
    • Made sure installer cleans all directories to avoid run-time conflicts (custom presets and details remain intact though)
    • Added normal bump support for texture presentation
    • Added option for disabling auto-hiding of base material colors when loading custom diffuse, specular and gloss maps
    • Added feature for auto-toggling UV off when exporting maps or working with the previewer
    • Updated Maya tool for quickly assigning dDo material IDs (found in .../dDo/swatches/materialList.mel) - Courtesy of Bartalon

GET THE UPGRADE HERE

Next update will be more features than fixes, promise :D

- Teddy
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    you guys are awesome, the 5.0 uppgrade really brought dDo to a whole new level :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    awesome update. 5.0 finally got me to try this out. :D im loving it. quick question though. when making environment details, after creating a detail is it possible to go back to the module editor and edit that detail? or do you just have do delete it and do it again. Ive noticed quite a few times that my details look great when im tweaking them in the preview mode, but when applied they dont look the same.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Is it possible to save screens as tiffs or tgas?
  • Savage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can't install 5.1, I'm on 5.0
    Error opening file for writing:
    c:/........\acid.png
    click abort to stop installation

----

If I ignore it goes on to the next .png and so on and so forth.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Savage wrote: »
    can't install 5.1, I'm on 5.0
    Error opening file for writing:
    c:/........\acid.png
    click abort to stop installation

----

If I ignore it goes on to the next .png and so on and so forth.

Make sure you've closed dDo and that it's not running in the background as a process. Had the same thing happened to me, but it got resolved as soon as I shut down the process. The latest version resolves the issue with dDo sticking around as a background process.

Hope this helps!
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Amazing update as usual Teddy, keep it up!

Feature suggestion: Being able to customize the mask as you preview a Detail, to avoid having a detail clump up in a specific region.

Workflow example:

Add Detail -> Enable Preview -> Preview Mask -> Paint values on mask and see detail result get updated -> Apply detail.

Is there a way to paint the mask generally (blobs) and have dDo populate that with the micro-detail? Like a pre-detail mask.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did the trial get reset?

I tried reinstalling but it still shows 0 out of 45 days left. I'm running dDo x64 in Win 7.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    dDo.png

Hey everyone! This is a cross-post from Tech Talk in case some of you don't browse there. First and foremost, my thanks go out to Teddy Bergsman for offering to feature my tool in his software! Thanks to everyone else for all your feedback with helping me develop this tool! I've managed to get a lot of the kinks worked out and should be generally more compatible now.

Here's a list of changes and known bugs:
    Bartalon wrote:

Changes
    • Both Versions
    1. To reach as many versions of Maya possible, I have divided the tool into two versions.
    2. Help menu updated and added version information.
    3. Objects should remain selected when generating checker materials.
    4. When applying the checker pattern with the Quick Checker material, the active viewport now automatically enables texture rendering to display the checker pattern.
    5. Added a new option under the Cleanup menu: Clear Unconnected Nodes.
    6. New hotkey option: Focus Material. Automatically takes you to the selected object's material in the Attribute Editor.
    • Maya 2013 and newer
    1. Objects left with no shading groups after deleting materials should be automatically selected and assigned lambert1 to avoid see-through meshes.
    • Maya 2012 and older
    1. This version is confirmed to work with both Maya 2012 and 2011. Earlier versions may or may not be compatible.
    2. This version is limited to the floating window.
    3. The Assign/Delete Material Channels section of the tool (seen at the bottom of the image above) is currently not supported.
    4. Multiple Select Mode should now work.
    Bartalon wrote:

Known Bugs

• Both Versions
    1. The Focus Material hotkey sometimes needs to be pressed twice to display the material.
    2. There have been instances of erroneous sourcing even after updating. Ensure the old materialList.mel is not in the Scripts directory. If sourcing errors still occur, you may have to delete your userPrefs.mel file from your Prefs directory. (Sorry for any inconveniences this causes!)
    3. Help menu may not appear on the initial load. Refreshing the window should fix this.
    4. Clear Unused Nodes only removes Utility nodes if they are connected to a Texture node.
    1. The docked window may sometimes stop updating. Switch between floating and docked to fix. In the event this issue is not resolved, the floating window will always work.
    2. Floating window position resets if switched to and from docked mode.
    1. Superfluous error messages when performing certain commands. Tool should still work as advertised.
    2. Deleting materials leaves Texture and Utility nodes behind. Use the new Clear Unused Nodes menu option to keep your scene tidy.

Get the latest versions here:

Material List v1.2 for Maya 2013 and NEWER

Material List v0.9 for Maya 2012 and OLDER

Installation instructions are with your download. Enjoy!
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Bartalon wrote: »
    dDo.png

Hey everyone! This is a cross-post from Tech Talk in case some of you don't browse there. First and foremost, my thanks go out to Teddy Bergsman for offering to feature my tool in his software! Thanks to everyone else for all your feedback with helping me develop this tool! I've managed to get a lot of the kinks worked out and should be generally more compatible now.

Here's a list of changes and known bugs:

Get the latest versions here:

Material List v1.2 for Maya 2013 and NEWER

Material List v0.9 for Maya 2012 and OLDER

Installation instructions are with your download. Enjoy!
    any possibilities we get something similar for 3d max?
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Unfortunately not :( I know nothing about MAX Script.
  • Nrose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey does anyone know if dDo is compatible with the .psb format? I found out today about .psd's 2gb file limit, haha.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Nrose wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know if dDo is compatible with the .psb format? I found out today about .psd's 2gb file limit, haha.

That shouldn't be a problem. Working with a psb with dDo as I type this. :D
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    So, ummm, my project has switched to 16bit texture support.

I now bake 16bit tiff out of xnormal.

Any way for dDo to keep a project in 16bit? I haven't seen any option for this.