dDo beta is OUT!

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    You said.
    [HP] wrote: »
    Yeap, basically the more you feed into it, the better. Doesn't mean it has to eat the whole plate for it feel good.

What the hell did I just say?

Amnesia is a bitch huh? :)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    maybe im missing a otion but i think a very cool option would be to have it auto-update, as it dectects new versions of the source maps used to generate the texture.

that way people could get a nice preview, with the ddo, and continuiljy adjust there highpoly meshes or tweak there ndo2 textures, and keep getting updated results in ddo.

haven't used the tool for long but it seems the olny way to accomplish this is by making a preset from your current settings, and making a new project with the maps again and applying the preset.
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Not understanding how this is supposed to work.. I'm loading a material preset along with normal/color/ao/diffuse/spec maps, and when it finishes baking, it's just my diffuse. The layers have AO/Cavity at the top of the stack, and my base diffuse map just under them set to 100% opac normal blending. All of the details generated by dDo are below the base diffuse. It's doing this every time I run it. No idea what to do. :/
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not sure if this has been asked already; is there an option to swizzle/reverse the Y coordinate in your normal map? Does dDo detect the Y direction by default?
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    ablaine wrote: »
    Not understanding how this is supposed to work.. I'm loading a material preset along with normal/color/ao/diffuse/spec maps, and when it finishes baking, it's just my diffuse. The layers have AO/Cavity at the top of the stack, and my base diffuse map just under them set to 100% opac normal blending. All of the details generated by dDo are below the base diffuse. It's doing this every time I run it. No idea what to do. :/

Don't add the diffuse, OR move the diffuse down below the generated folders.
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Disting wrote: »
    I know Teddy is working really hard on solving the previewer bug. As soon as it's fixed we'll release a new version!

Sorry for the hassle!

Sometimes i catch a glimpse of a distorted version of my mesh, with some vertices offset to infinity, but it is only a short frame and then it defaults to the chamfered box.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Sometimes i catch a glimpse of a distorted version of my mesh, with some vertices offset to infinity, but it is only a short frame and then it defaults to the chamfered box.

Thanks for providing this info! Does this happen when you open up the previewer for the first time on program start?
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    So you can split up your texture into different materials by color under "match materials by: color" but how do we know which color matches the correct material? For example yellow is wood, blue is rubber etc. Please help Quixel!

...the material under the "material definition preset" for example "Tan Metal" how do I know which color corresponds to the red rock?
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Just want to add to the bug info for the Previewer. 3.4 just loaded a cube for me, in 3.5 now I can see my models loaded, but they have random verts stretched to odd ends of the mesh. I followed the import options posted earlier in this thread.

Vista 64
    Radeon 6850
    dDo 3.5
    Max 2012
    Photoshop CS4
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! The mesh implosion issue should now be fixed, together with the inverted normals bug. Get 3.6 HERE .

looprix: Sorry about the very limitied information here so far. dDo will be getting some proper stock material definition presets soon, and with this a standardized color/material matching system will be presented. Right now color matching is mostly useful when you are creating your own presets, setting up your own color/material links -- read more about that process HERE under MATERIAL DEFINITION PRESETS EXPLAINED.

passerby: Love the texture auto-update feature request. Will have a think what can be done about this.

Keep up those sweet sweet tests folks! And remember, if you post your results HERE there's a good chance you might earn yourself a license for a job well done :D
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Teddy, can you answer some of these question?
    Computron wrote: »
    Should we be rendering out our color maps with anti aliasing?
    How does dDo handles its selections in this case, as the colors end up interpolated?
    How does nDo bake out its selection maps?
    How interoperable is nDo with dDo? Any special features in this regard?

Also, should we be baking out our normal maps in Unity tangents space for 3Do?
    Wouldn't it be cool to just stick with the Worlds Space Normal Maps alone until necesary?
    What I mean is, what if dDo handled Normals maps similar to, or in tandem with the Handplane Normal Map tool from Alec Moody.
    This way, we could have the Normals maps automatically converted by dDo to the best tangent space for 3Do
    And we could get the best output from which the cavity and curvature maps could be generated in dDo.
    Then we could also have the quicksaver output Normals maps in the correct engine-formats/tangent-basis for whatever your project requires.

On the topic of the quick saver, is that based on QSM (Quick Save Maps) perchance? It has a lot of the same features and look to it.
    Could it be extended to work with the CryTiff metadata/format like QSM?
    Could we also get more control with options for texture map post-processing such as the sharpening option that is currently included?
    Maybe dDo could even add in the option to run scripts or actions for each individual texture as in QSM? (BTW, QSM is also open source now)

dDo is such a time saver with its folder structure, its mask generator and its 3Do previewer, it would be awesome to have it go all the way in terms of texture map logistics and handling all the technical bits.

Lastly, awesome work! Thanks for this amazing tool.

PS. You guys should post links to where we can get your Youtube video's music, their really catchy!
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry about missing your post Computron! dDo accepts both anti-aliased and non-anti-aliased color maps. Rule of thumb would be to avoid big gradients, overly soft brushes and very similar colors when setting up the color maps.

dDo-nDo interopability will get some love as soon as dDo gets stabilized (and it needs a whole lotta that :D).

No need to bake special normals for the previewer -- much of the wonkiness is due to bugs, some of which were resolved in the latest build. The previewer still needs a lot of attention however as it's really crude across the board.

The exporter is not based on QSM but can easily be extended with any file format PS supports, I'll make sure to fill it up with a few more common formats (including CryTiff). Hooking up post-process scripts/action goes straight to the wishlist, good stuff.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    what about the swizzle used in the ddo preview, i tend to always work in -y since udk is my engine of choice
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Um, I'm having a problem, when I try to update it it starts the setup and goes fine but it says it's not updated. I found the fix is i had to change my taskbar shortcut, this may be a bug but it would be nice to fix.
  • robobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    I'm still having mesh problems. I'm using version 3.6
    (I did install it on top of the old one, though.. )

I added normalmap & lowpoly slots without any additional changes:

ddo_obj_error_01.PNG

with another object:

ddo_obj_error_02.PNG

I also opened same files with marmoset toolbag witout any problems:

marmoset_toolbag_01.PNG

marmoset_toolbag_02.PNG
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Teddy, first up... amazing program, I'm loving it so far. I have a few questions for ya!

I think I may have found a bug aswell, the checkbox for "everywhere" seems to have no effect on my textures and it still gets masked to roughly the same as "on edges" when I try to add a new effect via the material tab.

The spec and gloss for any given effect applied to a material or environment preset are auto chosen, is there a way to have control over these values? For instance, what if I want my mud to be fresh and it needs to appear more wet, is there a way to do this currently?

The sliders in the material and environment tab only effect transparency of the applied effect correct? Is there a way to go back and edit the effect once it's been applied to the texture or do I need to create a new one and delete the old?

One of the things I loved about nDo2 was it's ability to make you feel like nothing was ever "final" it's always very easy to go back and edit the things you have created. I feel like dDo is a little less open so far. But maybe I just don't know enough about the program yet.

The last thing I wanted to ask about is if there is a feature (or plans for one)
    that allows for a manual painting layer for adding those final hand touches at the end. I'd love to be able to paint a couple hand details in the diffuse and have control over how it gets applied to the spec, gloss and height/normal maps!

Thanks again!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    artquest wrote: »
    The spec and gloss for any given effect applied to a material or environment preset are auto chosen, is there a way to have control over these values? For instance, what if I want my mud to be fresh and it needs to appear more wet, is there a way to do this currently?

The sliders in the material and environment tab only effect transparency of the applied effect correct? Is there a way to go back and edit the effect once it's been applied to the texture or do I need to create a new one and delete the old?

My understanding is that the slider determines the intensity of the chosen colour (small box right of the slider). So if the material has a very dark diffuse, a white specular would either do nothing (0 on the slider) or be full white (max slider). I could be wrong.
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    robobot wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm still having mesh problems. I'm using version 3.6
    (I did install it on top of the old one, though.. )

I added normalmap & lowpoly slots without any additional changes:

ddo_obj_error_01.PNG

with another object:

ddo_obj_error_02.PNG

I also opened same files with marmoset toolbag witout any problems:

marmoset_toolbag_01.PNG

marmoset_toolbag_02.PNG

When you export as obj, under Geometry try changing Faces to Triangles instead of Quads
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    Robobot: I had the same problem with my model, but I was able to fix it thanks to Kimons advice !!! Thanks Kimon!
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello everyone
    first off I love the potential for this tool!!. I have been trying to use it for a preexisting model ( first image below )

000_Bomb_screen.jpg

The problem I'm having with Ddo is that I cant color pick to switch the color of the element, or to access the preset or to start creating custom presets of my own. Every time I try to select the color I just get the background color not any of the actual uv'd elements. You can see there is color to my map based on a multi-sub material I created in max. I generated the color map through tex tools, (but I dont think that is the issue). Below you can see a sample of the color map, model preview and mask. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    COLOR_PICKER_ISSUE.jpg
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    @snoop3d I ran into the same people. the only work around i could find is to un-check color mode in the materials tab. Then select each material and turn on on the mask to show which material it is. I couldn't get the color picker to work properly either.
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jet-pilot: thanks for the heads up, I started using that method myself, its w pretty straight forward once you figure it ot :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to share another prop for my environment.
    I used the same environment and material definition preset as I did for the cryochamber I posted earlier. :)

wall%20%282%29.jpg
  • robobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Kimon!
    That solves the problem. :)
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    I have the same problem like snoops3d and jet-pilot to. although the work around works i dont think thats how it should be. i mean it looks different from here
    http://www.quixel.se/forum/content.php?158-dDo-Feature-Overview/view/3
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bertmac and snoops3d for the reports. This really baffles me! Just for me to better understand what could be going wrong, feel free to try these steps and let me know if they affect the issue in any way:

- Select the dDo PSD document
    - Make sure dDo is hooked up with the document by pressing the refresh button at the top of the main UI (to the left of the minimize, maximize and exit buttons)
    - Go to the material tab and click a few of the colors to see if the problem persists

Really hope we can get this solved ASAP!

artquest: The "Everywhere" edge option simply means the detail will accumulate both in cavities and on edges (and not randomly over the surface as one might expect). Sorry for the confusion!

The diffuse, specular, gloss and height values for each detail (color and opacity) have default values when generated, however these values can be edited at any time after the fact. This is done in the main UI under the ENVIRONMENTAL/MATERIAL tabs, in the detail list that appears below any selected environmental/material group. There is support planned for altering the custom parameters of a detail after it has been generated. Be on the lookout for such a feature in a few releases!

It is possible to create your own hand-painted details and make them tweakable for all maps. Here's one way of doing this:
    - Create a new layer anywhere in the PSD and paint your detail using any color
    - Open the DETAILS module, select "Plain edge" (this ensures no filters are applied to your layer), check USE HAND-PAINTED EDGE and generate
    - You'll now have a hand-painted layer, tweakable in the list with all other details. As a side note, details generated this way are discarded when saving/loading presets.

Note that you can make use of this feature to also turn simple brush strokes into advanced details. For instance, paint a few simple thin lines where you want explicit leakage, then generate a new detail from your layer using one of the leakage details.

Furthermore, you can add manual hand-painted changes to already generated details. Simply toggle the detail's mask, paint, and then CTRL-click the mask to propagate the hand-painted changeds to all other map groups (specular, gloss, height etc).

Big thanks for the feedback, requests and reports!
    - Teddy
  • badmouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    badmouse polycounter lvl 8
    Disting, how you separate the paint from the metal?
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teddybergsman: I will try that tonight when I get home :) at work now 8:30 am if I get a minute will try it at work as well, either way I will let you know.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    badmouse wrote: »
    Disting, how you separate the paint from the metal?

I used a colormap/selection mask and plugged it into the Color slot in the automation hub. This allows you to apply details to different materials in the texture, as well as tweaking the materials' reflectance values. :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, a little feature request here, when making custom details it would be nice to be able to add a custom pattern like you make a pattern in photoshop first and then use that as a mask or something in the custom detail maker.
    And in the custom detail maker it would be nice to be able to tweak the scale of the clouds filter for one.
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    I tried this out on friday night really quickly after work... I had difficulties... Must investigate more. I was pretty happy with the basic results, but for some reason, I couldn't get the colour map selecting to work... Is there a max amount of colours you can have in your map? I've noticed most people have 3... Where as I had about 12...
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix: I had 9 in my latest project, worked fine although really small selections got lost, if you make sure to have as much contrast between your colours as possible it should work fine.
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stomberg90: Thanks man, I'll give that a go. There were some colours that were pretty close together on the contrast scale, so that could be why. I didn't save out any of my work to show examples, mainly because I was tinkering and not doing anything for a portfolio or work related stuff. Just mucking about :D
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Teddy for the fast reply. appreciated

Some people need to read the thread a lil bit better before asking the same questions over and over.

@ shinobix look at post 227
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yey, second place in the contest :)
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Grats stromberg that was a quality job. I just squeezed in there with an honorary mention :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, you got yourself a license still :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We just released a tutorial video for dDo, focusing on the basics in order to get started with creating awesome textures.

Please do not hesitate to come with suggesions as to what you'd like to see in the next tutorial in this tutorial series!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuVzQKJjKVo&hd=1"]Introduction to dDo - Basic workflow - YouTube[/ame]
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job, learned some things from it :)
    Would be nice to see some different materials like wood or moss, something like that :)
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disting, you are now my new best friend ;) Thanks a lot for posting this tutorial!
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Yay a vid! Now I can give it a decent go :)
    ta!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Fantastic tutorial Disting, I did learn some new things as well. I actually had no idea you could directly click on the color and it dDo would make it a selection, really cool.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Teddy, I'm getting an unspecified error about the color separation function. It says you're still working on it and that it's an error that "shouldn't happen". I don't see any error logs in the directory or anything, so I can't be too specific. I generated a present using a normal map, AO map and color map.

dDo2.PNG
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Still cannot get .obj files to load from max. Are there at least some recommended export settings? (beyond checking 'export normals'...)
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the tutorial Disting. I'm starting to really like Ddo :)
  • ZennDavid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much! So far this tool is a lot of fun :)
  • badmouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    badmouse polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the video! IMO, I think that is more easy to understand using a no complex object, just a metallic box with a part with paint will be better to understand the workflow of dDo.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Definitely will give this and nDo a gogo!
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian: Thanks for letting me know. As a test, have you tried triangulating the mesh before exporting? Feel free to send me the rejected mesh and I'll make sure to get this sorted ASAP.

Joshua: Oh my! I'd love to see that color map to get a grip of what's acting up.

Stromberg90: Regarding more details and presets, we've got a big batch coming up (including wood/moss/rock) so stay tuned :D