Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dDo beta is OUT!

Replies

• Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Weirdboy wrote: »
    1) Someone mentioned above that it takes a normal map, does it absolutely need a normal map to work? I don't have a lot of experience yet generating those.

2) How powerful of a computer do you need for this to operate efficiently?

It does not require a normal map. You can also use a curvature map. It works just as well. :)

I will have to get back to you about the exact computer requirements!
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    Disting wrote: »
    It does not require a normal map. You can also use a curvature map. It works just as well. :)

Forgive me, but what is a curvature map?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

I'll be damned if I have to sit another day infront of my PC, with Photoshops almost archaic tools, as I have to manage 10 different layers for one Group, with mutiple export/import in a shader/engine when this tool is doing all of that with sliders in one small box.

Well said mate, completely agree. Like someone already said, crap textures will always be crap, its about knowing how to get the most out of it.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Weirdboy wrote: »
    Forgive me, but what is a curvature map?

i was gonna LMGTFY but here is the polycount wiki instead:

http://wiki.polycount.com/CurvatureMap
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Its similar to a straight map, just more curvy!
  • futurepoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love dDo so far. Thanks guys for making life easier!

Here is a wip version of a building I'm making for the Celery Land project. I redid the diffuse in dDo and got some cool results.

CeleryLand045.jpg
  • Garrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This dDo look fantastic. Take my money.
  • carlobarley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    what a great tool preordering~~
  • Zyloh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyloh polycounter lvl 8
    I have only heard good things thus far. I'm going to have to give this a try! :)
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    OBJ import still doesn't work it seems, what am I doing wrong?

qMAyC.png

Normals are being exported.

Check the box for "Vertex" and uncheck "relative numbers".
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I don´t know... I must be doing something wrong.
    You all post your cool first test with efault or almost default settings and I just can´t get it right!

I load my normal map, AO, maybe Cav and a colour map to separate the materials. But I always get one flat map that does not look good and does not has separate materials at all.

c9el5jxulyzggtimz.jpg

I bet I´m missing one important point ^^

How can I setup different materials, for example one for the bluish parts, one for the dark etc.?
  • CordellC
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    C86G wrote: »
    I don´t know... I must be doing something wrong.
    You all post your cool first test with efault or almost default settings and I just can´t get it right!

I load my normal map, AO, maybe Cav and a colour map to separate the materials. But I always get one flat map that does not look good and does not has separate materials at all.

-snip-

I bet I´m missing one important point ^^

How can I setup different materials, for example one for the bluish parts, one for the dark etc.?

Click on each different color on the top left box to select those areas. From there you can change the material under the Quick-Reflectance.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    futurepoly that is pretty dope man!
  • Money
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    Pick a color and then go Load Preset or Add Material Detail if you want to add individual layers.
    Finally got to give it a quick try, I overdid dirt a bit and rendered normal out wrong, but I'm really liking it so far. :D

barrel474s5m.jpg
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I like it, my only regret is not adding more material colors.
    wbQco.png
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    Will Ddo make art cheaper to produce? and if so will this effect artist negatively in some shape or form?

I do love the tool, i'm just curious.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    One huge advantage I can see is that, done early enough in preproduction, you can more or less ensure consistent material definition of the assets being produced. Since you can create custom presets for materials (spec, gloss, diffuse color), you can basically have all your assets start out with spec and gloss settings that have been tested to look "correct" for your engine/game, which can then be tweaked and painted.
  • punkvideo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    punkvideo polycounter lvl 10
    please write video how work this plug
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Here's an ingame test of that M14, still need to screw with the textures a little. Grayscale specular, no gloss.

431125-1354261037.jpg
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    This tool really generates amazing results... it's amazing.

I'm waiting to find ways to use it in a non-realistic environment. So far it seems it generates very realistic detail, but I can't control that. Or can I?
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    Check the box for "Vertex" and uncheck "relative numbers".

That still doesn't do it for me, refuses to load any kind of mesh :/ (gw obj export max 2013)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That still doesn't do it for me, refuses to load any kind of mesh :/ (gw obj export max 2013)

I know Teddy is working really hard on solving the previewer bug. As soon as it's fixed we'll release a new version!

Sorry for the hassle!
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    Is there a way to have the some of the effects alter the normal map? For instance, say I want to apply paint chippings or rock chippings to something, is there some way to make these have grooves in the normal map?
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    d2king10 wrote: »
    Is there a way to have the some of the effects alter the normal map? For instance, say I want to apply paint chippings or rock chippings to something, is there some way to make these have grooves in the normal map?

You have the option of exporting a height map. You can use the nvidia filter on it, kill the blue channel overlay it on to your original normal map and BOOM!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We just launched a dDo Mini-Contest!
    It's all about customization and creating awesome art, while having the chance of winning full Commercial and Freelancer licenses for dDo.

Check it out here: http://www.quixel.se/forum/showthread.php?199-dDo-Speed-Contest-1&p=332

Good luck! :D
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13

Remember to let dDo make a height map for you, then that get's applied to the normal map and boom!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    We just launched a dDo Mini-Contest!
    It's all about customization and creating awesome art, while having the chance of winning commercial and freelance licenses for dDo.

Check it out here: http://www.quixel.se/forum/showthread.php?199-dDo-Speed-Contest-1&p=332

Good luck! :D

Awesome :D
    Will have to give this a try.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »
    You have the option of exporting a height map. You can use the nvidia filter on it, kill the blue channel overlay it on to your original normal map and BOOM!

Just to clear this up: the height maps created with dDo will automatically bump the normal! No need for nVidia filtering :) Just make sure height is checked when setting up the project, and you'll be able to control the bumpiness of each detail using the H slider (opacity) and swatch (bump color).
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Normal map in the preview appears to want a flipped green, is there a way to control swizzling?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mother of god. Big thanks for noticing this Scruples. It's now been fixed and will be part of next release.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you can throw me a free copy?, lol. I'll probably be buying it at the end of the trial as christmas has already brutalized my wallet.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i thought i could test ddo this weekend, but apparently alternate thought that my mainboard, which i sent them as broken piece of garbage,is going to work just fine and now i have to send it back to them, explaining that "hey guys, my mainboard is broken" really means that it is broken...
    /rant

what i wanted to ask, how are seams handled in ddo ? do you have to paint them out by hand ?
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Is there a way to edit material masks similar to the "sculpt" button in nDo2? I've run into an issue with feeding dDo a color map, it doesn't want to pick up all the areas of a given material, but if I manually edit it for the diffuse texture it wont auto update the spec or gloss.
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12

I will have to get back to you about the exact computer requirements!

Since I don't use normal maps at work. I'd like to try testing dDo with curvature maps. I tried the Maya script posted in the wiki, but I can't get it to work with Maya 2012. I'd really appreciate it If anyone can give me some tips on how to create curvature maps in Maya or perhaps Zbrush.

Also is there some quick way to batch many textures automatically or do I need to manually do that using the Project Box?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon wrote: »
    Since I don't use normal maps at work. I'd like to try testing dDo with curvature maps. I tried the Maya script posted in the wiki, but I can't get it to work with Maya 2012. I'd really appreciate it If anyone can give me some tips on how to create curvature maps in Maya or perhaps Zbrush.

Also is there some quick way to batch many textures automatically or do I need to manually do that using the Project Box?

It is possible to bake curvature maps in XNormal. You can find it a bit down in the map type list there. :)

You can batch generate projects by setting up several projects in the automation hub. You can read a bit more about it here: http://www.quixel.se/forum/content.php?158-dDo-Feature-Overview/view/2
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Just to clear this up: the height maps created with dDo will automatically bump the normal! No need for nVidia filtering :) Just make sure height is checked when setting up the project, and you'll be able to control the bumpiness of each detail using the H slider (opacity) and swatch (bump color).

But will that output to the normal map so you can take it into UDK or some other program? Everytime i export all maps in dDO my normal stays the same.
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    You can batch generate projects by setting up several projects in the automation hub. You can read a bit more about it here: http://www.quixel.se/forum/content.php?158-dDo-Feature-Overview/view/2

Cool I'll try xNormal.
    Regarding the project box in the automation hub whenever I create/duplicate a project I'll have to connect the correct maps for each project. I was hoping there would be some way to select a folder instead of a individual image so I can run the effect on. sort of like the photoshop batch process where you select the action and it runs it on the entire folder.

Using Mari at work we have assets with 30+ UV tiles so thought of giving dDo a try. :P
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    If you use the same naming conventions as the dDo interface (color, normal, objspc, cavity, etc) you can click Quick-Load and select all your files and they will automatically assigned to the correct slot.

By the way, I discovered that dDo will get a syntax error and crash if you have certain characters somewhere in your folder structure. I had an apostrophe in the name of my project folder and once I removed it everything worked fine again. Just something to be aware of.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus wrote: »
    By the way, I discovered that dDo will get a syntax error and crash if you have certain characters somewhere in your folder structure. I had an apostrophe in the name of my project folder and once I removed it everything worked fine again. Just something to be aware of.

Thank you very much for reporting this!
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Panel_Wall_01_Screen01.jpg

100% dDo, I'm impressed. However I did have some issues with the previewer, basically it messed up my model quite a lot so I couldn't use it. I don't know what caused it as it imported fine into 3ds Max, unfortunately I was not smart enough to take a screenshot of it.
  • Plumbjet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plumbjet polycounter lvl 12
    I had the same problem with the model i exportrd from 3dsMax with no preset and nothing changed on the export menu of .obj , It seemed to effect only one side of the model.

Still dont understand how to use dDo so would love to see a tut on basic dDO wrk flow.
  • futurepoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Also you can try turning your diffuse slider to 0 opacity and crank the height slider to get some cool results. I did this with the coffee stain preset and it created some interesting metal grooves.

@[HP]- thanks a bunch. Your videos were a huge help for us when we started using cryEngine.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to get the hang of this program now. Made a quick generic nonsensical sci-fi wall in nDo and ran it through dDo. initially I didn't get the difference between Environmental and Material, but now that I do I'm really starting to see the potential. Just dropping some presets across different material groups really adds a lot.

ddo.PNG
  • alifarsangi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alifarsangi polycounter lvl 9
    hi guys
    just a question ! is dDo compatible with cs5 ? i am using cs5, i installed the dDo yesterday, it works on cs5 but its really slow, it takes a year to load one of those presets, on 512 x 512 texture its fine but on higher resolution it just too slow or just jumps out! another issue that i found is that it makes black diffuse color on everything that i make, it just makes me to go back to diffuse color slot and change it again.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi guys
    just a question ! is dDo compatible with cs5 ? i am using cs5, i installed the dDo yesterday, it works on cs5 but its really slow, it takes a year to load one of those presets, on 512 x 512 texture its fine but on higher resolution it just too slow or just jumps out! another issue that i found is that it makes black diffuse color on everything that i make, it just makes me to go back to diffuse color slot and change it again.

Hello! Compability with CS5 should not be a problem.
    Would you mind sending over the maps you are using to team@quixel.se?
  • jibberishballr
    So who's going to be the best and post a tutorial?:)
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry for lame question, but is it possible to use dDo with lowpoly model only? Like vehicles with relatively dense mesh?
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dDo doesn't need a mesh to work. It's just for the preview. All it needs are textures to tell it where edges, crevices, cracks, etc. are. I don't know what sort of polylimit the previewer has though, I haven't brought in anything over 8k yet.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Yeap, basically the more you feed into it, the better. Doesn't mean it has to eat the whole plate for it feel good.

What the hell did I just say?