Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dDo beta is OUT!

Replies

• Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Hi everyone!

We just released a new tutorial covering the creation of the texture for The AK, as well as explaining the new features added in dDo v5.0.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BboBgjGARc"]Complete dDo 5.0 Breakdown - The AK - YouTube[/ame]

We will be releasing the presets and its freshly created details for The AK as well as the Remington Chainsaw, from the previous dDo tutorial, in the next dDo build!

Cheers!
  • schneller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    I keep getting this error when using the trial:

zKW3KAC.jpg

I'm on Windows 8 and CS6 64bit using the newest exe from the Quixel website.
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assassin0323 polycounter lvl 7
    I am also getting a similar error like Schneller with the 64 bit version. I get that dDo loading bar that just hangs at 50% even when completed. When the texture is updated in the model viewer. No Script Alert issue just a load bar that hangs around till dDo is closed.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Potential bug report:
    when I CTRL click on mask button I expect diffuse mask to be copied across to spec, gloss height, yet I dont get that behavior? Am I doing something wrong?
    6CniVuB.png
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Picked it up yesterday, the 5.0 update was just to sexy not to.

Just some minor things that I have noticed (maybe I am just doing something wrong).

-When maximizing the previewer it doesn't keep in mind the windows taskbar all the time, so somtimes the options at the bottom get hidden behind that.

-When working on a project, and sometimes opening/closing the previewer, the preferences (such as the environment/the rotation of it/exposure) seems to reset to default.

and/or is there a way to set certain options (such as the environment rotation) to be off by default?
  • nightfrontier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nightfrontier polycounter lvl 8
    Cross posting from WAYWO. I have been working more and more with DDO to get familiar with the workflow. I'm REALLY liking it so far. I textured this guy completely in DDO and it helped me get used somewhat to the workflow. Had some problems with that offset bug and also managed to break one of my workfiles so I had to restart. Both problems seem to be related to zipping and unzipping so I have stayed away from those two out of fear of breaking my file.

knightrender03.jpg
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schneller, Gheromo, Assassin0323 & nightfrontier: Thank you all for reporting! These issues have now all been addressed in dDo 5.2 -- big thanks for making it better.

On that note...

Release_graphic_v52.jpg

Thanks to awesome reporting dDo is becoming increasingly faster and more stable. A break-down on the most notable changes:

NEW FEATURES
    • Added advanced custom map loading UI controls in previewer
    • IBL shader now supports custom emissive and transparency maps
    • Now possible to focus on mesh in previewer by pressing F
    • Detail parameter tweaks are now shown straight in previewer
    • Improved workflow for creating stylized/painterly presets
    • Automation Hub settings now persist between sessions
    • Added support for hot-reloading maps when in self-lit mode in previewer
    • Material detail parameter tweaking now masked using the currently selected material
    • Added the latest Material List maya tool, courtesy of Dennis Porter
    • Added always-on-top UI pinning toggles for main and previewer windows
    • Forced previewer anti-aliasing and added extra screen-space anti-aliasing toggle for ultra smooth results

BUG FIXES
    • Fixed crash when clicking on map input slots
    • Fixed issue where unzipping could offset details
    • Fixed bug where details would get offset, including Nudges, Base, Drift, Long, SelectiveScratches, SuperSharp and GeneralDirt
    • Fixed bug where Photoshop would be launched when dDo was closed
    • Fixed bug where detail reflectance opacities would only assume diffuse opacity
    • Fixed bug where masks would not propagate if previewer was open
    • Fixed bug where custom loaded height map would break normal bump generation
    • Fixed Illegal Argument alert when loading certain stock material palettes with RGB matching mode
    • Fixed bug where texture loader progress bar would sometimes get stuck
    • Fixed bug where details containing occlusion and object space filters would not get properly generated
    • Fixed bug where detail visibility could not be toggled
    • Fixed bug where material auto-zipping would fail if no environmental details were loaded

GET 5.2 HERE
  • Daves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daves polycounter lvl 9
    Hey there, i love the tool so far but with 5.1 and 5.2 i always get a strange error after adding Material Details, im working in Full res and the Detail that caused the Error is named Blurryedge :

kmkfps2b.jpg
    The thing is, i didnt do custom or handmade Layers...that also caused the Model to look like that its harden edged:
    6bb2aw6l.jpg
    update: So i digged a little deeper and it seemes, that the Normal Map of that Material got messed up:
    e4of76y4.jpg
    Update 2: Problem solved, had to delete 3 Materials...i think what caused the Problem was moving it up in the list?! I had to delete 2 Layers in the Normal Map Layergroup by myself because they stayed there after deleting the Material Detail.

best regards Dave ;)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New release looks awesome!
  • reberhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reberhart polycounter lvl 11
    Improved workflow for creating stylized/painterly presets

Can you elaborate?

Thanks
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    I'd love to know what improvements were made to the workflow for creating stylized/painterly presets aswell!
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
  • StK Uriziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can I load custom textures to previewer ? I load my mesh and trying load texture (.tga), but nothing is going, ddo only create copy in .jpg format and name it: _d, _s, ... . When I try load this .jpg, same nothing. So, how load it ?
  • punkvideo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    punkvideo polycounter lvl 10
    Watch youtube lessons...
  • StK Uriziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    punkvideo wrote: »
    Watch youtube lessons...

Question is not about how create texture in ddo, but how load custom textures to skyshop ( version 5.2 offers browsing hdd and load texture inside skyshop), because this didn't work that I think this should ?
  • punkvideo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    only wait ))))
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My guess is, its the same as nDo2, where you have a few documents open and each document represents different texture. And to link them you have to open document you want to link and then in dDo attach it.
  • punkvideo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my little test:
    7WxvkoI.jpg
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Is it possible to change the color map and then let DDo update automatically? For example If I want to add some color groups for other materials without resetting the whole project and hand painted maps. I understand that i can save a preset and then re-generate the project (But then the hand painted maps/alphas will be lost.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Any news on Photoshop CC support?
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey!
    I'm trying it out at work and I found that if I manually type an opacity value on a detail, it doesn't update the texture, even if I disable and enable it again. I gotta drag the slider with the mouse manually to be able to see it!
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assassin0323 polycounter lvl 7
    Fonfa: I found that issue a while ago, the only work around is to type the value that you want then click on the slider and it will update with that value. Hope that helps.
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Edit: Woah, wrong thread, my bad.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    Help! ddo crashed on me,I reopened my psd and everytime i try selecting my material element i get this

after 2 clicks ddo crashes again

will someone help look at my PSD? i needa save this project :(

yO72Luq.jpg
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try this www.quixel.se/dDo/dDo_release_53e.exe , also exit out of the color mode and save out material presets and then recreate project. Also try to do a production render. Hopefully it helps.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo wrote: »
    try this www.quixel.se/dDo/dDo_release_53e.exe , also exit out of the color mode and save out material presets and then recreate project. Also try to do a production render. Hopefully it helps.

Im kinda new to ddo, so i have no idea how to do this.

also now im getting this error when i load in my psd

ov4nZTJ.jpg

i cant even refresh my psd
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was getting same thing few days ago after making detail layer, dDo has made 2 copies of it, I was trying to undo it and missed 1-2 details. I had to go through PSD manually to delete remaining ones. Also another solution is to take what you have now and save it out as a diff / spec / gloss and load them into new project and work on top of it. Essentially thats what you should be doing anyways really. I wouldnt rely on dDo 100%
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo wrote: »
    I was getting same thing few days ago after making detail layer, dDo has made 2 copies of it, I was trying to undo it and missed 1-2 details. I had to go through PSD manually to delete remaining ones. Also another solution is to take what you have now and save it out as a diff / spec / gloss and load them into new project and work on top of it. Essentially thats what you should be doing anyways really. I wouldnt rely on dDo 100%

i was actually seeing that last night, about the duplicate detail layers. i thought i had deleted all of them, but i guess not. damn. did yours get fixed after manually deleting the layers?

creating new maps from what i have now seems a bit destructive..
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually didnt fix it at a time as I completely ruined my PSD. however on the next occasion when that happened, deleting layers manually fixed issues as I knew what to do straight away. It is destructive, but it wouldnt be much of a problem to paint out small details u dont want to keep extra 2-3 mins worth of work. What I do now to avoid issues I make sure I save presets all the time now, as it is easy to recover that way.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tired of getting this error
    kmkfps2b.jpg

ive had to rebuild my psd from scratch 3 times now, thnakfully i saved my presets.

it would be nice if ddo selected which handmade layers are messing with the ui so we can properly delete them

thanks
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    @MeshModeler, you probably have something outside the material hierachy, all maps that you make yourself have to go inside one of the custom slots. If you post your psd I may be able to have a look at it and fix it. If youre uncomfortable with that thats okay try taking a few shots of your layers and post that
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MeshModeler, you probably have something outside the material hierachy, all maps that you make yourself have to go inside one of the custom slots. If you post your psd I may be able to have a look at it and fix it. If youre uncomfortable with that thats okay try taking a few shots of your layers and post that

but thats the problem, i havent created any custom layers. Ive looked at the psd it seems ddo duplicates a lot of layers for some odd reason..
  • Parth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parth polycounter lvl 10
    Hi, I am new to Ddo. I wanted to ask if it possible to get good result from ddo without a normal map?
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Parth wrote: »
    Hi, I am new to Ddo. I wanted to ask if it possible to get good result from ddo without a normal map?

Not impossible but a large percentage of what ddo does is based on tangents, ao contrast etc. You can try with just using a Object space map and an ao map . But you will definitely get better results with one. What are you working on?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    i've been looking all over for this and i cant seem to find it (i think i recall it was in the chainsaw tutorial) but is there anywhere that explains how to go from working at half res to full res?
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Oniram, its on their main site, it is the chainsaw tut. Close to the end of the video I believe.
  • Divinitize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, First post ever, thought id share my keyboard i just finished with DDo , i'm very much an amateur but thought id post anyway.

EOchT8g.jpg
  • BeachBum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeachBum polycounter lvl 4
    Has anyone had the problem of the viewer making their model have holes in the shapes of triangles? I exported the mesh as a obj. in max and check all the settings. normals-tex cords-smoothing
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    BeachBum wrote: »
    Has anyone had the problem of the viewer making their model have holes in the shapes of triangles? I exported the mesh as a obj. in max and check all the settings. normals-tex cords-smoothing

I had the same issue, triangulate your mesh before export - in the OBJ export dialogue switch the faces drop down menu from Quads to Triangles.
  • BeachBum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That worked like a charm! Thanks Justin. One more quick question...since the color map just reads color information off the bake is there a list of just what those colors are so you can skip that part and just paint a custom map quickly without projecting?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yes, there's a photoshop color swatch in the DDO folder you can load up, switch your swatch from "small thumbnail" to small or large list and you'll have material names for all the colors.

I've only messed with DDO really quick without watching any tutorials, so the wood swatch ended up looking like a block of aluminum with glossy brown paint that wore off at the edges. I'm sure I goofed something up.
  • BeachBum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome...thanks again very helpful
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi.

Whats with the squares in the colour map? Anyone having this issue?

0lap.png

edit: This is everywhere on the colour map. When I zoom in on the original baked colour map in PS I can see a ton of little squares.

And why are the photoshop swatches different shades than the colours on the baked map?

RESOLVED (well....kinda)
    This issue I spent all day on trying to figure it out. I ended up having to overlay texture detail as normals to fix it.
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. Loving Ddo thanks so much. Would love it if someone could answer this question.

Is there a way to swap out your colour map at anytime without destroying the .psd? Or any of the 5 maps I use? Sometimes I find I've not assigned enough materials before baking and I'm half way finished. Be awesome to somehow bake another colour map, or ao etc and import it into ddo without losing work.
  • ZeR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeR polycounter lvl 18
    Thats something that happens to us all the time as well.
    Wish there was a symple solution for that.
    Anyone?
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tired of getting this error
    kmkfps2b.jpg

ive had to rebuild my psd from scratch 3 times now, thnakfully i saved my presets.

it would be nice if ddo selected which handmade layers are messing with the ui so we can properly delete them

thanks

best way to get rid of this is to delete material detail that exists in photoshop but not in DDO. So if you look at your diffuse group in PS for the material your working on when this error happens, and there are material details that are not in DDO, delete them. Sometimes they don't delete in PS when you delete them in DDO, or, they somehow disappear from DDO but not PS. Then you need to go through all maps and remove the same detail (diff/spec/gloss/normal/height)

Be great to nail all these bugs and boost performance. I dont know about everyone else, but my texture workflow hasn't 'sped up' a lot using DDO cos of all the bugs, crashes and low performance.

I do love it though
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    gartht3d wrote: »
    Hi.

Whats with the squares in the colour map? Anyone having this issue?

0lap.png

edit: This is everywhere on the colour map. When I zoom in on the original baked colour map in PS I can see a ton of little squares.

And why are the photoshop swatches different shades than the colours on the baked map?

RESOLVED (well....kinda)
    This issue I spent all day on trying to figure it out. I ended up having to overlay texture detail as normals to fix it.

those squares look like compression artifacts generated from gradients in the diffuse, specular, or normal map. This could happen when u use a heavily compressed image into ur texture.
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7
    Doesn't dDo use jpg's for its previewer? I thought those were just artifacts from that.
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, hmm I wanted to know if it was possible to get my details " Tilled "?
    I have this issue where my barrel show a seam behind and I would like to avoid this without having to Tile every thing by hand . Not that I don't want to, just that maybe someone knows a way to fasten things up on that side.

jnnc.png ugly seam.
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox wrote: »
    Hello, hmm I wanted to know if it was possible to get my details " Tilled "?
    I have this issue where my barrel show a seam behind and I would like to avoid this without having to Tile every thing by hand . Not that I don't want to, just that maybe someone knows a way to fasten things up on that side.

jnnc.png ugly seam.

Yeah I dont know if it's possible but it would be amazing to have DDO recognize outside UV edges and not add detail to them. No idea how that would be possible.
    For now, I'd just use mudbox to paint out the seams.