Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    The thing is the specular / gloss will still show the seams off :S
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox wrote: »
    The thing is the specular / gloss will still show the seams off :S

paint em all out if it bothers you that much. Spec and gloss will be hardly noticeable with the diffuse seam missing. I usually use Ndo to make a seam make sense. You could just put the metal seam in the barrel on the UV seam.

vd38.jpg
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's actualy quite clever and logical, I'll do that ;)
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    Can anyone give me an answer for this issue? :/

http://i.imgur.com/FeSWG3n.png
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure but it might be because your model wasn't triangulated at export.
  • Abdullah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage wrote: »
    Can anyone give me an answer for this issue? :/

http://i.imgur.com/FeSWG3n.png

what i do, in max i convert my objects to editable mesh and export them. works fine. its about triangulation.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dDo is stuck on 0% unzipping one of my selections..... any idea?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    underfox wrote: »
    Hello, hmm I wanted to know if it was possible to get my details " Tilled "?
    I have this issue where my barrel show a seam behind and I would like to avoid this without having to Tile every thing by hand . Not that I don't want to, just that maybe someone knows a way to fasten things up on that side.

jnnc.png ugly seam.

or...

and this is just an idea...

you could be smart about where your UV seams are and what to do with them.

here are some drums:
    Steel-Drums~~element43.jpg
    Metal-drum-white2.jpg
    homart-salvage-metal-drum-stool-wood-seat-L.jpg

notice that they all have a vertical seam? model it into the high poly along the edge that your uv seam is going to go across. that way it's easier to disguise as part of the geometry and not be an obvious uv seam.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been playing around for a couple of days and my first impressions are that it is pretty impressive...however..

The thing that really bothers me is that if i want to adjust my normal/colour maps yuou have to pretty much start all over again.

If there was some kind of real-time map upload i would be set :)
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been playing around for a couple of days and my first impressions are that it is pretty impressive...however..

The thing that really bothers me is that if i want to adjust my normal/colour maps yuou have to pretty much start all over again.

If there was some kind of real-time map upload i would be set :)

I've brought this up a few weeks ago. I still agree this would be ace. BUT!!! since then, I've gotten better at making colour maps and understanding what materials need to go where.......Not a 'fix' but definitely a solution:P
  • boumay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boumay polycounter lvl 6
    Hello,
    It's in the title.
    I'm not working in games or realtime stuff, only prerendered animation and stills.
    Will this plugin be that useful for me?
    Thank you
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    so im running into this new issue where ive got my environmental details zipped up, and when i go to unzip them the dDo promp pops up in the middle of the screen saying Unzipping, but stays at 0%, and the module doesnt unzip. has anyone run into this before?
  • Graze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    PLEASE HELP!!!

I need to reimport a mask map into my current DDO scene how do i do this? basically i didnt define all the materials properly and need to edit midway, but I edited the mask texture but the software hasnt read it changed, help :D
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    save your ddo project as a new preset, create a new project using this preset and all your old maps + your updated colour map.
  • Graze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    Bek: that seems a little much for such a small thing, how can we not reupload the texture, and DDO calculate it? seems like a huge workflow error to me. I am using it at work, and we save on the cloud so everything is referencing those textures, if I remake them by doing another project I have to then relink all other software using them to those files? when all I need is to re upload 1 single texture?

Also another error, the previewer accepts none of my models, and even primitive shapes like this one.

erfb.jpg
  • Graze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    OK fixed the mask error, I just had to manually edit the masks in the groups.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for the error above (with the mesh being triangles), throw an edit mesh modifier onto the model and then export it.
  • gartht3d
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG I just figured out what causes this error minutes after posting and I feel stoooopid as hell but heaps happy.
    YYYYYYEEEEESSSSSSS

qmh4.gif

Its as easy as habing a little patience and a basic understanding of photoshop.

You will lose work, but if you get it early, it'll be hardly anything.

q3mg.png

So, just delete the duplicated 'smooth dust' (or whatever you have)layer in DDO (if that has happened, it may not happen to you). Then delete the 'leather' (or whatever you have) detail layer in photoshop, because it's useless to you now because its gonna mess with DDO and eventually make it crash constantly.

You will need to delete this detail layer in all the different map groups in photoshop manually. DDO will delete all maps for you if you delete the layers in DDO but for the layers that are not in DDO, that you are manually deleting in photoshop, you will need to do yourself.

The idea is to have the DDO material detail list the same as it is in photoshop.

I find this happens more frequently after about the 4-5th material has been detailed.
    Also, not sure if this is related, but this seems to happen shortly after manually messing with a materials detail mask.
    I manually edit DDO detail masks in photoshop to pretty much 50% of all added detail and I get this error a lot.

Hopefully this helps some of you.

Garth
  • killazzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I just got Ddo, and have read through all the possible workarounds my issue, its really irritating because I cant seem to get my mesh working in the preview viewer after exporting from 3Ds max.
    I have tried the Triangulate fix, the converting to editable mesh option, the running as admin, everything and Its still not working. someone please help!!

br9l.jpg

70ng.jpg
  • Thaurdol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaurdol polycounter lvl 7
    Export as polygons instead of triangles, should do the job.
  • killazzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With the Maya Preset or no?
    Im getting nothing out of preview with polygons active.
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHouldn't it be the contrary? export as triangles instead of poly?
  • Thaurdol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaurdol polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah it was triangles. Heres the settings I just used and I was able to see my model like it should be.

1yyx.png
  • killazzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally!! Thankyou Thaurdol! your a life saver man.
    I changed your Export options to Triangles and refreshed the previewer, and its all there
    Praise the 3D gods!
  • Prism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, i have bought ddo recently but my files crashed a LOT. Can someone tell me if this is a memory issue maybe ?, and whether or not it would crash on a better computer since i'm working on not a great laptop. It happens when you start a longer process, applying a lot of preset actions or up sizing the document from half working to full res again and at that point i lose the files beause they won't open up properly when crashed in mid acction.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    I've run into an issue with dDo where unzipping materials after applying a material preset in 5.2 will break everything associated with that material. Before unzipping I can change the color/spec/gloss values but after unzipping the material I can no longer edit those things, only the material details after that point.

Also, how does dDo handle it when a material preset has more colors in the material ID map then the original material preset? I'm getting some strange results as I just wanted to use the old material preset and then just change some colors and delete some material details and then save it back out as a new preset. But what seems to happen is I get many more materials then are actually in the material ID map. (pixels that are blending from green to magenta and are the result of anti anti-aliasing seem to get their own material which I can't seem to delete.)

If I can just get these things fixed I would loove using this program to texture. :D
  • orecus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keeps crashing for me too, it always seem to crash during the second part when it generates the material details and always around the 75% mark. It does not matter which material I select either as they all crash. The "working at half-res" does not seem to help if I try to use that function with the full size of the maps, still crashes.

Error message: Error: Illegal argument - argument 2 - Required value is missing.

8k Maps, 64B and 64GB of RAM.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, I'm having an issue. I have defined the colours according to the swatches DDO comes with for Photoshop. I made selections with the lasso to test out different materials, but it's giving me the wrong materials.

For instance, what I specified to be leather ends up being metal, and skin becomes wood.

Any help here would be hot.

Also, when I'm in the automation hub Im selecting dried dirts and Standard Reflectance (not max). Is this right? (I'm texturing a character)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    dDo is stuck on 0% unzipping one of my selections..... any idea?

i still run into this from time to time. anyone find a reason/fix for it?
  • Ghost0926
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Selaznog, it sounds like you're doing this right. I've never seen this issue. Yeah, the workflow is to paint a color map in Photoshop on top of your UV unwrap or whatever using the swatches provided by Quixel (leather, steel, rough fabric, etc.). Save this out as your object's color map. Then, when you're in dDo, select this color map for the 'Color Map' slot in the Automation Hub and choose Standard Reflectance. Then when dDo processes the maps and mesh, those sections should have the proper reflectance values for the material you selected in Photoshop. Sorry this isn't working for you. :(
  • MooseCommander
    New tools look great guys!
  • zacvrono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zacvrono polycounter lvl 4
    i don't think it does man...

why can't they have good artists using this tool, taking the same amount as they would currently take to make a prop, except now there's more time for polish because this tool has sped up the rest of their workflow.

now all of a sudden the world is populated with exceptional art.

why do we have to settle for a mcdonalds cheeseburger when we can have a sirloin for the same price?

the problem now is, as someone else pointed out earlier in the thread. producers will see this tool and go "cool, now we can cut our production time!", instead of going "cool, now we can devote more time to polish".

we settle for lower quality because there are some time constraints on projectsthat are simply too small. A project i'm working on is this case, its a 4 month 3d game with me as the only artist right now because the other 2 people left us 2 weeks in...
    I don't work there full time either as i have a job doing website design because its the bill payer. here is my usual time line, 3 hours to model, 1-2 hours to UV map and bake, then 2-3 hours to texture. now 45-60min to rig and 1-2 hours to animate (at least its a steam-punk game so everything is hard surface which i'm a lot faster in. oh and the poly limit is about 1,700-1,800 (really about 6,000 vertex data per character/machine) and it has to look good on PC and tablet...
    so ya quality is simply going to have less priority, and before you say I just need to be better, I was talking to a Blizzard environment artist and he said he didn't know anyone who could really get any better quality for the time and program constraints (maya, nDO2, headus, photoshop, and dDo soon hopefully, crossing fingers :D).
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Hiya, started using dDo last week and I'm really liking it! Dig the Marmoset integration... I have one small issue I hope I can get an answer for.

I've created my material base and later updated this by painting in different areas of the sheet from what I initially had. I then ran the new production render and everything updated fine, only problem is when I select the mask, it doesn't select the correct mask for the new painted area. Is this a bug? If so quite annoying :) but I found a small workaround by manually creating the mask from the empty materials that where already there. Hope I can get some help on this, since it kinda disrupts the workflow.

thx!
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    I had the same issue, triangulate your mesh before export - in the OBJ export dialogue switch the faces drop down menu from Quads to Triangles.

Thank you! Was driving me nuts :) Oh and I found the solution to my above issue watching the complete AK breakdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BboBgjGARc&feature=youtu.be&t=55m1s
  • shelghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

You all seems to have the previewer problem solved... I've tried everything to have my model in th previewer, no luck for me. Triangles, normals, you name it... I am using the last free version and it just doesn't work.

So sad after so many posts...
  • shelghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

You all seems to have the previewer problem solved... I've tried everything to have my model in th previewer, no luck for me. Triangles, normals, you name it... I am using the last free version and it just doesn't work.

So sad after so many posts...
  • Bug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bug
    Guys what are stylized/painterly features, someone knows ?
  • fsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fsnake polycounter lvl 9
    shelghost- try making a uv, collapse to, and reexport. My model would not show in previewer and earlier I forgot to make uvs.. so made them and reexported and it worked.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Is the dDo 2 beta still open? I've got something I really want to try it out on, and I am growing impatient, hehe. :)
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    orecus wrote: »
    Keeps crashing for me too, it always seem to crash during the second part when it generates the material details and always around the 75% mark. It does not matter which material I select either as they all crash. The "working at half-res" does not seem to help if I try to use that function with the full size of the maps, still crashes.

Error message: Error: Illegal argument - argument 2 - Required value is missing.

8k Maps, 64B and 64GB of RAM.

Hey orecus, I don't know if we have the exact same issue, but I ran into a similar problem when I just tried to use it.

I had a color map created, but I accidentally saved it out with the ambient occlusion I had from xnormal turned on (and I'm not sure how much this contributed, but I also had the background layer of my texture as value of grey, instead of it being full black).

It always stopped at 75% creating materials mark because it it was trying to create a material for a wide range of value variations in my color map caused my the Ambient Occlusion. As soon as I turned it off, it sped through that process within seconds.
  • CaptainBanannaBread
    Hi all

After much fiddling with this error I have come up with a fix!!! Dunno if anyone else has sorted this out yet but if no one has then here it goes...

It turns out its got nothing to do with handmade layers but the arranging of the existing layers in their groups.

Pay very close attention to the layer order in a fresh scene and then compare that to a scene giving the dreaded handmade layers error

Ive added two pictures to help explain visually how these layers like to jump around and ruin everyone's day...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2kh3nrpoti56fn/right.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/35jcboj56u65p5g/wrong.jpg
  • boumay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boumay polycounter lvl 6
    I have a problem with 3do previewer. Sometimes my object is so small that I can't get a decent zoom on it, it is always far away from the camera and the pivot isn't centered.
    Do I miss something in the export options from 3dsmax? Or is the scale wrong?
    Thank you.
  • jettatore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jettatore polycounter lvl 14
    I'm running the beta, just got the latest update. Not sure if I did something wrong but on my project I'm getting this

"Error: General Photoshop error occurred. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop."

I'm using leather on my project and it's Photoshop 14.2.1 x64
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Half way thru a dDO project, C Shift Click to select color ID stop working. As in, clicking on it doesn't bring up the screen to pick what material to assign... Dead in the water...
  • AlphaMix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Half way thru a dDO project, C Shift Click to select color ID stop working. As in, clicking on it doesn't bring up the screen to pick what material to assign... Dead in the water...

I believe this was corrected in the Suite 1.3 version
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    But I just updated it... I think!
  • AlphaMix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    But I just updated it... I think!

Well it happened to me once before 1.3, and hasn't happened after. Plus, its listed as one of the bug fixes, so... idk
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, for some reason I can't load a material preset I made. Any ideas how to fix this? I tried saving the XML file in various different folders as well as restarting DDO.
  • AlphaMix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you sure you made a material preset, theres a difference between a material preset and a masking preset