Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Prosomogy wrote: »
    GifCam, so easy program :) you will undrstand how use it :)

I tried to use that one, but do u need to use screenmode on dota2 than?
    Because i never seem to get the window in front of the game..

I will give it another try!

Edit: well it works, had issues before when doing a windowed view for dota 2, but thats fixed a long time ago so it works fine now.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Andyk you can use FRAPS for example to record video and than grab gif image from video. Also I think windowed DOTA2 would work as well with Gifcam
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    animating that kunkka sword

@GhostDetector thanks for the suggestion, i will test with blue!

rXtyJeF.gif
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    animating that kunkka sword

@GhostDetector thanks for the suggestion, i will test with blue!

Best looking rapier, and the animation is looking great for a rapier style sword as well, cant wait for the finished product :)
  • AS2IA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    need some critiques on my dragon wings =( I feel that they are good but at the same time something may be missing, maybe something small. Adding in textures for the back facing wings like a ribbed texture or a scaled texture doesnt seem to work well atleast when I implement it. Kinda of a plain person maybe haha. Maybe its just me overthinking because of a comment.

Anyways here, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=221737285 is the workshop page as is when I initially thought it was good enough. Then here is where I tried to change it. http://imgur.com/N6eA16Y http://imgur.com/VkKL475

using the in games mask doesn't help the rim and fresnel doesnt do much and the specular just makes everything look artificial dragon wings atleast.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @AS2IA,

Look at the skirt, then look back at the wings.
    Color matching would help a lot. The skirt also has some sculpted trim, not just a line painted around it. The trim frames it, adds some design, etc..

To me that's what the wings need.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »

Baddcog:

I think there needs to be more contrast between the greens on the vest, they seem to blend together

Thanks, has been adjusted... got hat tex, beard is on the way, will post update soon
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AS2IA wrote: »
    need some critiques on my dragon wings =( I feel that they are good but at the same time something may be missing, maybe something small. Adding in textures for the back facing wings like a ribbed texture or a scaled texture doesnt seem to work well atleast when I implement it. Kinda of a plain person maybe haha. Maybe its just me overthinking because of a comment.

My first thoughts are its way too flat, the materials don't work, and the colors are all wrong. The flatness is coming from a lack of a good normal mad in combination with your other masks, specular and rimlight. The ideal thing would be to make high poly wings with all your details so you can bake these to a normal mad, and get other lighting information from bakes. This could go along way resolving its flatness. The material just reads as cloth right now, but i feel the color is more important. The red does not match her colors, and it is just flat red. Read the dota art guide. you should better match her colors and add some more value to the color. The white trim does not help at all seeing as how her default trim is a gold/yellow color. Personally I never tell myself my work is "good". To me my work can always be improved and this mind set has helped me become a better artist over the years. Hope this helps, If I have time maybe I will do a quick paint over later or something
  • Sumers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sumers polycounter lvl 10
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    hey guys, i kind of liked the idea of recreating some dota item and i was working on a rapier, i would like to hear from you any advices!
    6BfJx.jpg

I hate game-items on heroes. At least It should all have similar style (since now items made by different artists and all looks different) and use the same model for each hero, not like 3 different Radiance. Anyway, rapier looks pretty nice.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    I don't mind hero items, as long as there done well. This is definitely a case of it being done well. With custom anims as well? Even better.

Did a different version of the blades for Bloodseeker. Some people were saying it looked like the joint between blade and cuff looked a little weak. Tried to bulk it up with the new one on the left. I think even if i go with the old cuff Ill keep the new blade with the elbow hook. I also wouldn't be able to mirror the cuff texture with a buckle soo.. i dunno.

Thoughts?

Phx80m0.jpg
  • losta
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    I hate game-items on heroes. At least It should all have similar style (since now items made by different artists and all looks different) and use the same model for each hero, not like 3 different Radiance. Anyway, rapier looks pretty nice.

Yes but in this case rapiers actually works for kunkka

@trevor - it still doesn't have the rotating ability.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GhostDetector, Yeah i'm ok with it not flipping. It doesn't visually break in any way. I tried to create a version in which the blade looked like it could flip in a mechanical way, but the animation is literally a single frame. So it would be just for looks and the reason for the mechanism was lost, it was just making it look far too busy.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    http://www.dota2.com/newbloom/day3/
    Day 3 is up. Congrats to those whose items the page is showing off!
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bernoully polycounter lvl 4
    Congrats to everyone who got their single items and sets chosen! Wallets, oh dear wallets. ;)

Also, Phoenix! Cosmetics for Icarus will be interesting.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    set in game. Might need some tweaking, still have to rig the low po shoulder.

Necro_ingame.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats on the featured item guys! We are one step closer to new bloom, that replay feature is really unexpected, but seems pretty cool

Edit: Im reading people saying that test is updating today, so event tomorrow, so hopefully a schema update tonight, get a preview of more lovely items added
    Or schema update now http://tf2b.com/updates/d2t
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    A bit underwhelming. I was expecting a huge amount of items, but still, that's not bad! Congratulations to everyone that managed to get something in!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    A bit underwhelming. I was expecting a huge amount of items, but still, that's not bad! Congratulations to everyone that managed to get something in!

This is the first of at least 2 plus releases during the event, so more to come....
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    This is the first of at least 2 plus releases during the event, so more to come....

Hope we get even more cool stuff then! Most of the single items on this batch are just with a horse or something on them, with very few stuff related to actual spring. Would love some more variety :D
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omg i'am so happy i get 4 items in game :) gz who get something in!
    weapon_horse_enduring_large.c1ad1edda21534a969c6409fe8ec7d97e8c161f0.png
    weapon_red_fire_lord_sword_large.3226ff2a68e684b60336cd5ae2e65716c7893576.png
    dragon_soul_large.913abcadb4049215fc3fe9564989c4f058a43ed8.png
    weapon_plstaff_large.12c8b40f8ddf44e90303e985e3386ce1520209b4.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bumped up the saturation a bit:
    contrast.jpg

crits?

the alpha on the chains works sometimes and not others , hmm... might have some grey pix in there?
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o_o I was just looking through the test client and it appears that they've added(or are in the process of adding.. its a bit buggy) particle support to the item importer... Can anyone else confirm?
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    Prosomogy wrote: »
    Omg i'am so happy i get 4 items in game :) gz who get something in!
    weapon_horse_enduring_large.c1ad1edda21534a969c6409fe8ec7d97e8c161f0.png
    weapon_red_fire_lord_sword_large.3226ff2a68e684b60336cd5ae2e65716c7893576.png
    dragon_soul_large.913abcadb4049215fc3fe9564989c4f058a43ed8.png
    weapon_plstaff_large.12c8b40f8ddf44e90303e985e3386ce1520209b4.png

gz to that :)
    where you got that info from ?
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te wrote: »
    gz to that :)
    where you got that info from ?

Schema update from the test client http://tf2b.com/updates/d2t
    belkun wrote: »
    Hope we get even more cool stuff then! Most of the single items on this batch are just with a horse or something on them, with very few stuff related to actual spring. Would love some more variety :D

Well the Luna set featured on day 3 page is missing from this schema, so maybe next wave of items will be full of dragons
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Big congrats to everyone who got something in, some excellent entries there! Let's hope we see even more Polycount stuff in the coming weeks :)
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    GZ to all who got stuff in. I believe that more stuff will get added in the final client update and even after that, as Valve mentioned. So hold on!
  • Gaiascope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaiascope polycounter lvl 4
    So many items! So little time! Really excited for this event, and of course a well deserved round of applause and pats on the shoulder for those who got their items accepted!

And even more items will be added later?! Damn, it's almost hard to contain my excitement.
  • TommyTehZombie
    jade_talon_large.2b51f7f9bf3d708ef4a66aff4534ce431f504f32.png

Joy! Grats to everyone else who got items in, looking forward to see what else will be added.
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grats on getting items in the game! Looks like they pushed in all the high quality stuff too - the death prophet set, the ember crane set, jeremy klein's stuff, onilolz/zaphk's summons collections, etc. It's all so good. :)

I'm holding out that my item comes out in the next wave!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    foxclover wrote: »
    Grats on getting items in the game! Looks like they pushed in all the high quality stuff too - the death prophet set, the ember crane set, jeremy klein's stuff, onilolz/zaphk's summons collections, etc. It's all so good. :)

I'm holding out that my item comes out in the next wave!

You and me both >_<

But congrats to everyone! Regardless of what gets accepted its great to see Polycounters come out in full force, I don't think one item shown so far hasn't been made here.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    You and me both >_<

You guys are not the only ones, I see 0 Gyro items so far, so there is still hope :poly122:

Hopefully the amount of Polycount items in this update will prompt Valve to revisit the Polycount chest
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    You guys are not the only ones, I see 0 Gyro items so far, so there is still hope :poly122:

Hopefully the amount of Polycount items in this update will prompt Valve to revisit the Polycount chest
    There are gyro items in the files
    1EhKXuC.jpg
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
  • amadeus.mozart
    hey guys, i managed to finish the weapon for legion commander 3Zaujnlhttp://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=221898334 still more room for improvement
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    It's looking pretty nice! i think the gold/brass ball in the center could use some love to make it stand out - probably just in the masks. overall the textures look a little dirty (not worn, but like the AO is overbearing)

love the shape though.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are gyro items in the files
    1EhKXuC.jpg

haha holy shit nice find Vlad, I did not go through the files, looking at the files now I see all our gyro items, and Zip's and ike's set as well, hopefully we will see them soon :poly136:

Edit: The map looks pretty cool imo
    http://imgur.com/a/q5I2G
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For anyone curious about custom particles - not sure on correct approach but what I did was create a preview in the test client for presentation purposes, and just submitted a imported version with custom bones in each mouth where I ideally want particles, and from the image is seems like valve followed thru, and can use the bones to emit them.

qJGRX07.png
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plant wrote: »
    For anyone curious about custom particles - not sure on correct approach but what I did was create a preview in the test client for presentation purposes, and just submitted a imported version with custom bones in each mouth where I ideally want particles, and from the image is seems like valve followed thru, and can use the bones to emit them.

Thanks for the info! Did they need to reach out to you at all, or did they just do this with out your knowledge?
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info! Did they need to reach out to you at all, or did they just do this with out your knowledge?

My guess is that if I didn't add the bones they might have asked, but it's a stone statue that used 1 single bone so I just added extras for particles as a foresight.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

qJGRX07.png

I understood most of that, but what exactly goes into "creating a preview in the test client"? Did it take modifying qc files? I tried a ton of things to get a particle I made to appear in-game but nothing worked and most of the time the particles just ended up emitting those red X's....
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo wrote: »
    I understood most of that, but what exactly goes into "creating a preview in the test client"? Did it take modifying qc files? I tried a ton of things to get a particle I made to appear in-game but nothing worked and most of the time the particles just ended up emitting those red X's....

I used the default wards qc file and just renamed / replaced everything, there's a line called attach_hitloc "Flame" or something like that, that is the particle.

In terms of making a custom particle, I believe someone was making a tutorial on it, in short you setup alien swarm to load dota particles, then run it with this line -tools -nop4 and you get the particle editor. Make custom particles, save file, and override vpk load the dota 2 test client with your new particle file.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used the default wards qc file and just renamed / replaced everything, there's a line called attach_hitloc "Flame" or something like that, that is the particle.

In terms of making a custom particle, I believe someone was making a tutorial on it, in short you setup alien swarm to load dota particles, then run it with this line -tools -nop4 and you get the particle editor. Make custom particles, save file, and override vpk load the dota 2 test client with your new particle file.

I had done the particle making in Alien Swarm, I just hadn't gotten the particle to work in-game. I'll try to work with the advice you've just supplied, thanks very much! Though from what I understand "attach_hitloc" is only for NPCs like wards and couriers, right? Would that command work on a hero equip item too?
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo wrote: »
    I had done the particle making in Alien Swarm, I just hadn't gotten the particle to work in-game. I'll try to work with the advice you've just supplied, thanks very much! Though from what I understand "attach_hitloc" is only for NPCs like wards and couriers, right? Would that command work on a hero equip item too?

I think it depends, this is from the "launched" version of our Gyro bomb we needed to make, it has the "attach_hitloc" and a custom one, but this is also a completely separate model from the cosmetic version, so it may be different, just figured it might be worth sharing.
    $attachment "attach_hitloc"
    $attachment "attach_fuse"
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So decided on a kind of amalgam of the two types. Congrats to those who got there stuff in.

tqGV02S.jpg
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it depends, this is from the "launched" version of our Gyro bomb we needed to make, it has the "attach_hitloc" and a custom one, but this is also a completely separate model from the cosmetic version, so it may be different, just figured it might be worth sharing.
    $attachment "attach_hitloc"
    $attachment "attach_fuse"

The gyro bomb seems a bit more complicated than a normal equippable item anyways. I'll see what I can do with what you guys have provided. Many thanks!
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Wow!! Gratz all!! As Vlad showed there are for sure much more items that are showed right now. I hope there will be good content analysis soon to see them all!!
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Konras wrote: »
    Wow!! Gratz all!! As Vlad showed there are for sure much more items that are showed right now. I hope there will be good content analysis soon to see them all!!
    Well, update page states that "These items will be appearing throughout the event, so check back often to see what new creations have been added!"
    So it'll be something like Wraith Night loot waves, i guess. Judging by the update, it's going to be a long one, with bunch of stuff going on.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    So are we thinking the test client items are everything they are adding, just in waves?
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    well, potentially there is too much awesome stuff still left out so i hope for more updates soon