Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Zaphk wrote: »

anigif_enhanced-buzz-24252-1331327230-31.gif

simply AMAZING again! I'll leave the town for this hahahah!! Congratulations :)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14

beautiful!!!!!

I finished mine and let this be a good idea on what not to do for those wanting to push the boundaries and/or add butterflys :p

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=151731601
    1274430DC5FDD4CBD0EDED11F04CDB3287A56A33
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    beautiful!!!!!

I finished mine and let this be a good idea on what not to do for those wanting to push the boundaries and/or add butterflys :p

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=151731601
    1274430DC5FDD4CBD0EDED11F04CDB3287A56A33

Just wanted to say both of these sets are incredible, thumbs up all around from this camper.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Hm. Looks like everyone's been busy working on awesome stuff... Situation Normal there.

RatCourierWIP06a.jpg
    RatCourierWIP06b.jpg

Finally got some time to resume work on this one. I managed to get my bake on and add a bit more geometry. What you see up there is normals and diffuse at target resolution (512x512 - not working size). Tossed 'em into Marmoset to see how they'd look. There are a few kinks to work out, but they seem doable.

I guess I have to start working on the masks next.

I'm considering adding whiskers...
  • archie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys~ this is my second item. I have re-uploaded it yesterday due to some bugs.
    Haha I know it may not be the best one out there, since im still pretty beginner for 3D modeling etc.. so, Any feedbacks? :D

L2O4EZ.png
    7Jj1LO.png
    d7H7K8.png
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=151800332
  • Agilethief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agilethief polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Archie, Looking really good. Quite impressed as you claim to be just a beginner with 3D xD
    First off, is it just the Spear? it's not clear in your post if its a full set or not. I think however it's just the spear.
    The spear looks nice, but all the faces of the model look hard, are you using smoothing groups/smooth edges/smooth normals? (for Max, Maya and Blender)
    Texture looks very nice, is there a normal map being used? I feel like there could be a little more depth on your gold trims.

I like the design. Good work on keeping to the colour scheme
  • Agilethief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, looking for some feedback on my Lina Set.
    So far I am pretty happy with it, however I was thinking I should redo the hair as it's looking pretty blobbby atm.
    Also, should I make sure every item has a LOD0 mesh? I haven't bothered so far but I think it could really help in the portrait view.

On Lina I have managed to cause a panning glowy fire effect on her hair, I suspect it happened in one of the masks but I am unsure, has anyone else encountered this?

mtNF1S5.jpg

Thanks in advance for any tips you guys can give I hope to submit the set soon.
  • archie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, to be honest, i am really beginner with 3d modelling XD
    Yes, it is a spear only. I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing, as I wanted my spear shape to be some kind of hard and rigid feel, instead of those curvey and smooth elegant blade. (dont want it become some naginata or samurai blade for jugg..)

hmm, there isnt normal map used for the patterns, but i tuned the mask so the patterns will reflect lights more. Dont forget to upvote it also!! HAHA

Ur lina's clothes looks shiney, like those girls who goes to club wear them haha.
    However, I am not quite sure with ur lina hair though, it kind of look a bit weird? Maybye the orange is a bit too bright by looking at the ingame preview.

To me, i think is necessary to make Lod0 mesh for those items that will be shown in the portrait?
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like your spear needs some smoothing group on the handle, Archie. 6 sided cilinder can be smooth.
  • Agilethief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just discovered I had Mask 1 for my hair with self illum maxed out.
    also the glowy fire effect was created by the detail mask in the same texture, tweaked as well
  • archie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm it is already a 6 sided cylinder lol. hmm maybe it is becos i did not turn on the smooth shading?
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
    Finally managed to import my item, and've been trying to figure out the masks over the weekend. Been having really weird results, even when trying to mimic other similar items textures.
    Here I've just applied Snipers head textures to my item, and I still get these errors with everything being bright. Also, the item behaves differently on it's mirrored side (different differences(...) on portrait and in-game).
    ZUeEveT.png
    Tbk5LF0.png
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you try throwing a flat color onto the model? Just a grey or something, it's a little hard to see what's going on there. Did you also upload snipers masks?
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gVKNUmk.png
    These are with all my textures, but the masks have been saved out as 24bit targas... So no alphas. Appears that kills the specular.

What do you mean upload snipers masks? I used Snipers textures from Valve, only thing I changed was image size.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    callebo wrote: »
    These are with all my textures, but the masks have been saved out as 24bit targas... So no alphas. Appears that kills the specular.
    Yeah, D2 uses all 4 channels on color, mask1 and mask2, so never delete them or fill with full blacks
    archie wrote: »
    Hmm it is already a 6 sided cylinder lol. hmm maybe it is becos i did not turn on the smooth shading?

I think he meant that you should assign one smoothing group to the whole shaft, so there wouldn't be sharp shadow
    BJ3e05K.jpg
    Ah, now i get what bugs about this cat, besides rectangular fur.
    That sticking tooth seems to be completely out of place. I realise that you won't be changing it now, but you may want to remember it next time.
    Clouded-Leopard.jpg
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, D2 uses all 4 channels on color, mask1 and mask2, so never delete them or fill with full blacks

Yeah, I have been using alphas atleast for the masks all this time. Tried setting up alphas for the color and normal aswell, but got the same results as before
    auqvBWM.png
    This is the best result I've got so far, but it still sticks out very much. Also, the differences in the mirroring is still there.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I have been using alphas atleast for the masks all this time. Tried setting up alphas for the color and normal aswell, but got the same results as before
    auqvBWM.png
    This is the best result I've got so far, but it still sticks out very much. Also, the differences in the mirroring is still there.
    The lighting is all over the place, can you show us your masks?
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask1 Blue
    CBYmJgG.png

Mask1 Alpha
    U64upRB.png

Mask1 Red and Green are almost completely black (#020202)

Mask2 Red
    xhN3QhP.png

Mask2 Green
    lBpHlEI.png

Mask2 Blue
    jcg0cjX.png

Mask2 Alpha
    PfLgWJL.png

Many of these are placeholders, just want it to work properly first.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @DashXero
    I'd really suggest adding some more color contrast to the texture, so far it all looks very 'even' and it's gonna be hard to pull the shapes apart at game res. The Backpack, belt and body all blend into each other. I'd suggest making the gradient for the body towards the ground stronger and playing wit the colors for the accessories.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Are you saving them as 32-bit callebo?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    callebo:something looks really off with your normals there, how did you generate them?

however, may i introduce Waldi the Dachshund, a true dog of duty

waldi-a-dog-of-duty.jpg

worked on this on 2 trainrides from and to berlin, still a lot of stuff missing
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you saving them as 32-bit callebo?
    Yes
    Neox wrote: »
    callebo:something looks really off with your normals there, how did you generate them?
    I baked them in Maya and used NDo for additional details.
    CnTLZro.pngCnTLZro.png

By the way, sorry for filling this thread up with tons of boring images.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Callebo You need to flip/invert green channel in this normalmap. nDO2 generate normals that have green-up, dota2 has green-down. Maybe that will help.
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    @Callebo You need to flip/invert green channel in this normalmap. nDO2 generate normals that have green-up, dota2 has green-down. Maybe that will help.
    Alright, I tried it. It made no change. Perhaps the normal isn't very visible at all due to the other issues going on?
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try loading your model with flat textures:
    Color: 127, 127, 127, 255
    Normal: 127, 127, 255
    Mask1: 0,0,0,0
    Mask2: 127,0,0,127

Check if there are some bugs. if no replace flat normalmap with your file and see if there are no bugs. There is a possibility that you have something wrong with your vertex normals. If you use 3dsmax apply edit_normals modifier to your mesh and show how it looks, maybe they are messed up on mirrored part.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @Neox:

Sehr schön.

Think in some extra feature to add character to it.

What do you plan to make in the flying version?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus wrote: »
    @Neox:

Sehr schön.

Think in some extra feature to add character to it.

What do you plan to make in the flying version?

its just a very first sketch, of course there are tons of things missing, items, potions, a crate, brezeln, the usual stuff a german dachshund carries around :P

the slate is somewhat limited when it comes to modelling, so so far everything is done in zbrush, usually i prefer creating simple proxymeshes to work with - so next update will show quaite a bit of change, now that i'm on a real machine ^^
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    Try loading your model with flat textures:
    Color: 127, 127, 127, 255
    Normal: 127, 127, 255
    Mask1: 0,0,0,0
    Mask2: 127,0,0,127

Check if there are some bugs. if no replace flat normalmap with your file and see if there are no bugs. There is a possibility that you have something wrong with your vertex normals. If you use 3dsmax apply edit_normals modifier to your mesh and show how it looks, maybe they are messed up on mirrored part.

Yup, probably something wrong with my vertex normals
    7YrCKrG.png

I'm using Maya though, sure I'll find a way
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you using smd or fbx to export?
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fbx, maya 2014
    Hardening or softening edges doesn't seem to change anything. Am I missing some option?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Neox
    The Dachshund riding the line of being too comical pretty closely. For reference, this got pulled from the store after a huge community backlash. Die Deutschen Outfits sind halt nicht so beliebt ^^
    nzx9D.png

@callebo
    Try Maya 2012 if you have it, 2014 changed something about how vertex weights work if I remember correctly.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    @Neox
    The Dachshund riding the line of being too comical pretty closely. For reference, this got pulled from the store after a huge community backlash. Die Deutschen Outfits sind halt nicht so beliebt ^^
    nzx9D.png

@callebo
    Try Maya 2012 if you have it, 2014 changed something about how vertex weights work if I remember correctly.

I GUESS this doesn't apply as much to the couriers, because pretty much all of them are funny, cute characters with crazy ideas behind them.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Hmmm- this may be a related issue to what you're experiencing callebo....

Has anyone else run into any issues on their characters head piece where it's showing up at full bright/ masks aren't displaying? (you can tell the full bright in the in game preview, not loading the game up, but the mini preview... and you can tell the masks issue in portrait view)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah my experience with max 2013 and up is also desastrous, the normals (even the exported tangentbase to xnormal) are just screwed :X

however a bit further in

doggydog.gif
    doggydog2.gif
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @callebo

Well would you look at that
    SxziZTQ.png

So basically, I set Maya 2014 to export out using the 2012 fbx plugin. Works fine now.

A thousand times thanks, to everyone!
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks, guys!
    Vlad, thank you! I'll remember it next time ;)

Neox Hahaha that's adorable! Love the idea and it's so well done!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well would you look at that
    SxziZTQ.png

So basically, I set Maya 2014 to export out using the 2012 fbx plugin. Works fine now.

A thousand times thanks, to everyone!

Cool that you solved the issue!

However, do you really need the indents on the glasses in the lowpoly? i'd rather bake those details in and use the polies to make the silhouette of those things rounder than 8sided :)
    even with 8sided, with baked on highres it will appear way rounder, than with what you have at the moment.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Neox I love your dog courier, however please consider changing his hat to something more fantasy generic. It can be for example a leather hat/cap with goggles (batrider/gyrocopter like). Personally I don't have anything against how it looks right now, but I am 99% sure that you will encounter allot downvotes because unexplained hatred of troll armies. Anyway wish you best of luck with it :)
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    Cool that you solved the issue!

However, do you really need the indents on the glasses in the lowpoly? i'd rather bake those details in and use the polies to make the silhouette of those things rounder than 8sided :)
    even with 8sided, with baked on highres it will appear way rounder, than with what you have at the moment.

That's a good idea. Never really liked the middle lens, and got some polys to spare actually. Thanks.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    It struck me that Luna and Phantom Assassin have some pretty similar items. The shoulders are creatively similar as well.

This is relevant to nothing, just a thought.

Luna looks hot with PA's helm. I am definitely #teamdarkhair for Luna.

mrVXPUB.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm konras, maybe you are right, but i don't know a cap with googles feels ultra random and would also not suit the overall design, mabe changing it more into a robin hoodish direction, with a feather instead of the goats beard but putting a pilot cap on top of his hanging ears, i don't know man i dom't think it fits
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Oh, why nobody like them Bavarians :(

Seriously though, I think it's mostly a problem with hats, they make everything look modern-ish, a lot of people dislike that.

The idea of a triangular robin hood cap can be a good solution to that.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://mobyfrancke.com/

Check it out! It's early concepts! I don't know about you but I find that stuff super interesting :D
  • multitud3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    multitud3 polycounter lvl 5
    http://mobyfrancke.com/

Check it out! It's early concepts! I don't know about you but I find that stuff super interesting :D

thanks for sharing! been drooling over his work for the past couple of days.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His concepts for the Dota 2 Environments are so goddamn gorgeous! Perfectly showing off the art side and the layout at the same time, so cool. And the style is so great! /stops gushing about it :D
  • Pult
  • multitud3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    multitud3 polycounter lvl 5
    i agree. i love how with a few simple values/colors he's able to get so much character into his concepts. definitely something to aspire to as a conceptor.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pult wrote: »
    TF2 workshop is over that way.
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    hahaha pult that video is pretty funny