Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Sandcoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical wrote: »
    It's a good design but in my opinion, people might be confused between Storm Spirit and Phantom Assassin with that hat. I suggest something other than the sugegasa. Also another reason where confusion might add up, the 2 heroes general colors are almost the same.
    Well the pose animations etc. are substantially different, I don't think that will ever be a problem to be honest or people would be seriously confusing PA's new set with Drow Ranger (stress on seriously since I've seen someone protest that he was confusing the two heroes). I mean Storm has that funky walk and he's a fat man... certainly more different than Drow is

That said I'd like to know if anyone wants to put this into 3d or at least give it a try. I'd really like to see if this can become something. If that's the case I'll work on more concept art to develop the set and prepare the promo artwork. Pretty sure it's fit to make it in.

The sugegasa + katana design is the whole point of the set so if this doesn't work I'll scrap the whole thing (and be really sad about it)
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    5EE59DDF6E3E4C9DAA4A96892D0FEC843D6BB595
    sorry anuxi but I went ahead and painted that turd
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Sandcoat wrote: »
    The sugegasa + katana design is the whole point of the set so if this doesn't work I'll scrap the whole thing (and be really sad about it)

You can try making some doodles using a samurai haircut + hachimaki or a gappa as inspiration for the headdress, lots of japanese stuff you can use to make variants.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    vlad_the_implyer : tnx for the files

Made my first shield for ck :

link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=145422597

8635DEDB2D27E5B86E42CB89270BE3A9BFEAB167
    2B90E23D2A3E05224BE4A1F0CA41A98FA2AB12CB
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    mihalceanu wrote: »

looking really nice in game =]
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Zaphk wrote: »
    Thank you, guys!
    Hudston: Thank you veeery much! It helped a lot :) I changed the contrast. Still working on it, but looks much better already.
    36apT1X.jpg

Huge improvement already, looking forward to seeing the final product! :)
  • hellmasterx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    need some feedback on this:

QEiWM8W.jpg
    xsbRN84.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the feedback. Added some more contrast between the iron. Just about done with this one.

XPjS57v.jpg
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    you might try lightening up the bolts holding the darker metal on to the lighter - get a little bit of contrast there - but it's kind of a nitpick.

what i would really like is a if you broke up the colors on the handle a bit - maybe make the end of it a lighter/shinier metal - or even let it glow red like the line between dark/light on the blade.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knight to Rook five
    wsZxLCy.png
    Check
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    CyborgMatt wrote:
    "DOTA_Import_Lycan_Ult" "Shapeshift Form"
    "DOTA_Import_Lycan_Ult_Desc" "Lycanthrope's Shapeshift Form requires a single model."
    "DOTA_Import_Jugg_Ward" "Healing Ward"
    "DOTA_Import_Jugg_Ward_Desc" "Juggernaut's Healing Ward requires a single model."
    "DOTA_Import_Pugna_Ward" "Nether Ward"
    "DOTA_Import_Pugna_Ward_Desc" "Pugna's Nether Ward requires a single model."
    "DOTA_Import_Forge_Spirit" "Forge Spirit"
    "DOTA_Import_Forge_Spirit_Desc" "Invoker's Forge Spirit requires a single model."
    "DOTA_Import_WD_Ward" "Death Ward"
    "DOTA_Import_WD_Ward_Desc" "Witchdoctor's Ward requires a single model."
    "DOTA_Import_Tusk_Sigil" "Sigil"
    "DOTA_Import_Tusk_Sigil_Desc" "Tusk's Sigil requires a single model."
    "DOTA_Import_Undying_Golem" "Undying Golem"
    "DOTA_Import_Undying_Golem_Desc" "Undying's ultimate form requires a single model."
    "DOTA_Import_Undying_Tombstone" "Undying Tombstone"
    "DOTA_Import_Undying_Tombstone_Desc" "Undying's Tombstone requires a single model."
    "DOTA_Import_Undying_Zombie" "Undying Zombie"
    "DOTA_Import_Undying_Zombie_Desc" "Undying's ultimate form requires a single model."
    "DOTA_Import_ShadowShaman_Wards" "Shadow Shaman Wards"
    "DOTA_Import_ShadowShaman_Wards_Desc" "Shadow Shaman's Wards requires a single model."
    "DOTA_Import_Gyro_Missle" "Homing Missle"
    "DOTA_Import_Gyro_Missle_Desc" "Gyrocoptor's Missle requires a single model."
    "DOTA_Import_NP_Treant" "Treant"
    "DOTA_Import_NP_Treant_Desc" "Nature's Prophet's Treant requires a single model."
    "DOTA_Import_Enigma_Eidolon" "Eidolon"
    "DOTA_Import_Enigma_Eidolon_Desc" "Enigma's Eidolon requires a single model."
    "DOTA_Import_Warlock_Golem" "Golem"
    "DOTA_Import_Warlock_Golem_Desc" "Warlock's Golem requires a single model."

Custom particle support is planned for the future:
    "DOTA_ItemTest_Particles_Title" "PARTICLES"
    "DOTA_ItemTest_Particles_Desc" "This model will have a particle system attached to it in-game for gameplay purposes. This is the .DMX, .SMD, or .FBX file that contains vertices specifying how the particle system should be attached."
    "DOTA_ItemTest_Particles_Help" "Particle Help"

We got some fun stuff coming.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    We got some fun stuff coming.

It's already there, I'm testing a punga ward right now.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm talking about the particles and Undying stuff - all those other abilities have been in since last patch.
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I call Undying! Get away from him he's mine!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    I call Undying! Get away from him he's mine!

what if we get undying for the next month competition???? hahahah

just joking =]
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this past week (with unstable internet) has me wondering; is there a way to run Dota in offline mode, so that we can test workshop compiles?

It's a serious (temporary) issue that's messing with my workflow =P

EDIT: Managed to get some updated shots (of the full set) in the client. Wings have virtually no texture work, and I tried to implement vlad's advice for the armor. Clicking the pic below is an album of 4 shots of the current status. Willing to trade (up to) 2 Steam Trading Card Keys for feedback!
    dRqCHvw.png
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been very busy these last few weeks, but tonight I thought I'd take a quick break from all the more complated work to work on something a bit more mediative. Helped out Jethro, Nullf, and Sharc with the animations on their netherward cosmetic! Oblivion Metronome!
    [vv]66378421[/vv]

Workshop Link
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK wrote: »
    you might try lightening up the bolts holding the darker metal on to the lighter - get a little bit of contrast there - but it's kind of a nitpick.

what i would really like is a if you broke up the colors on the handle a bit - maybe make the end of it a lighter/shinier metal - or even let it glow red like the line between dark/light on the blade.

Thx man! Good suggestions! I'll work on it tonight.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Everyone is making chaos Knight items, but they removed him from the workshop page?
    Anyone can upload the files, otherwise I need to decompile them back home.. :p

@Bronto: I really like it, not too sure about the tongue though..
    If it would move animated it could look really great, or amaybe a bit too funny.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    3oigXVN.png
    mmm..?

NOW THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!
    I really like how it looks now. The cute part is pretty much gone, if not completely. Awesome job Bronto!
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the tongue Bronto! I think maybe he could use a little bit extra on his back? Like some small spikes or something.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Everyone is making chaos Knight items, but they removed him from the workshop page?
    Anyone can upload the files, otherwise I need to decompile them back home.. :p

@Bronto: I really like it, not too sure about the tongue though..
    If it would move animated it could look really great, or amaybe a bit too funny.

There are some bones there which are used for the chains on his default model ;D
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    I really like the tongue Bronto! I think maybe he could use a little bit extra on his back? Like some small spikes or something.

Well that's where he's got lots of fire particles so I was thinking a huge gash or three across his back where the fire's leaking out.

Thanks, guys! Had a tough time trying to figure out exactly how to deal with the problems but I feel I've done you all justice :)
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    NOW THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!
    I really like how it looks now. The cute part is pretty much gone, if not completely. Awesome job Bronto!
    I think that the hanging tongue that flail when he runs only add to the cuteness :D
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3oigXVN.png
    mmm..?

I'd be so sad to see that not get custom animations. Bronto, it's time for you to become an animator! :thumbup:
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that the hanging tongue that flail when he runs only add to the cuteness :D
    That really depends on how the animations look like though. If he has a walking animation that's a bit stumpy like how babies and little children walks it would look cute. But if it walks with controlled movements I think it will look badass instead of cute.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3oigXVN.png
    mmm..?

I love this little fella! :D

Are you aming for the "Overlord/Orcs must die" style which i think is the one you have now (and looking great btw) or a more fierce/grotesk look? Such as Nurgle demons or cenobites.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    3oigXVN.png
    mmm..?

Yes please!
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2EW14O0.png
    Do yourself a big favor and search up "Overland Blues"
    wip texture
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2EW14O0.png
    Do yourself a big favor and search up "Overland Blues"
    wip texture

You should almost try to make an alternative version where the guitar thing ( I can't remember the name of them) where's it's broken and it's only held from the string.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Just a general question here guys. When you are baking out your high poly textures, what maps are you using? I have been using the ones recommended in this guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123397498#19243

So that's the prtP, prtN, BentNormal, Cavity, AO and Normal. I've never actually done a point light map on any of my models. Should I be doing a point light instead of the cavity, prtP and prtN? Sorry for the noob question, I'm still pretty new to all this texture baking for games lark.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    MdK wrote: »
    Just a general question here guys. When you are baking out your high poly textures, what maps are you using? I have been using the ones recommended in this guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123397498#19243

So that's the prtP, prtN, BentNormal, Cavity, AO and Normal. I've never actually done a point light map on any of my models. Should I be doing a point light instead of the cavity, prtP and prtN? Sorry for the noob question, I'm still pretty new to all this texture baking for games lark.

I'd love to know how people do this around here. On my first model, I kinda followed Valve's guidelines, baking a point-light map and whatnot, but after finding out about this guide, I just bake everything and set up it similarly to the guide. Would be great to see the different ways people approach it.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Hey I have a problem. When I upload the wings for my Doom Bringer set, no texture shows up on the model. Instead I get a gray model. I am also getting no errors when I import and the model seems fine. I will upload a screen after work.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    @mstankow - can't help on the error without knowing what it is :)

@mdk - i generally bake out normal, bent normal, ao, cavity and a point light - I use the (red and green?) channels of the bent normal to easily get the normal detail into the diffuse, and I typically use the pointlight on top of the other bakes at the end set to overlay at a low opacity.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My coworker mentioned that I should have one pixel of not black on all my textures. I am going to try that.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Mstankow wrote: »
    My coworker mentioned that I should have one pixel of not black on all my textures. I am going to try that.

That is only for your mask_1 and mask_2. Can you post up some pictures of your textures? We might be able to help a bit more if we can see them.
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the earlier comments, here is lowpoly of my razor set, still need to finish his whip

razor_wip.jpg
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished my Tusk Set! Vote Please!
    jthhBiW.jpg
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Just got done with my first "finished" item
    17BA78A0FCF273BA27A75518B5383A57A1D5414F
    vote,like,tell me how to make it better, etc.

Thank you all for helping me do this
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the model with no textures loading. I compiled this one with the helmet textures assigned to see if anything would change but nothing did. So I don't think it is the textures that are the problem. I am going to try re exporting the model next.

SPE9UAQ.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mmz46ePlW31r43xj0o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mmz46ePlW31r43xj0o2_1280.jpg
    Pwang pwang

As cool as it is, I think the broken guitar idea is worth looking into.
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Onilolz and I finished the set for Medusa!
    Tomorrow I'll start the marketing pic, too much sleepy now ^^
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=145778652

YUQna26.jpg
    lnNvhYt.jpg
    Za63pAw.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Crosspost from my new workshop thread. I'm planning to get back into the workshop and submit at least 1 item a week.

Ravenhook_01_small.jpg

Ravenhook_02.jpg

Ravenhook_03.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Oi, say that to my face mate, not online!
    4FFCAE941521C13DDF9982AADE4959D035021CA3
    Upvote, i mean
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Vaaaaaaaalve!I had tons of import scale issues with the CK files. The FBX scale is wrong in Max and the provided SMDs are replaced by the new .dmx format which I had no idea what to do with. I ended up using Maya with the .mb and that worked perfectly. I might switch back to Maya for dota items, at least rigging and export.

Not sure whether to upload these on their own or wait until I can finish the rest of a set. I am pretty happy with how cool they look in-game. Not textured at all atm, I just wanted to preview them.

1vggGAM.jpg
  • Bas1c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will that shield be allowed, it looks very similar to this

That shield looks very familiarshield+wrathful.png
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    Vaaaaaaaalve!I had tons of import scale issues with the CK files. The FBX scale is wrong in Max and the provided SMDs are replaced by the new .dmx format which I had no idea what to do with. I ended up using Maya with the .mb and that worked perfectly. I might switch back to Maya for dota items, at least rigging and export.

Not sure whether to upload these on their own or wait until I can finish the rest of a set. I am pretty happy with how cool they look in-game. Not textured at all atm, I just wanted to preview them.

1vggGAM.jpg
    Those came out great Frump! Looking forward to the textures!
  • Bas1c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »

1vggGAM.jpg

Looks very similar to this shield, is that allowed?

icecrownraid_shields.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Paskie :)

To follow up on my last post, I think I found a solution to all the Max and provided FBX problems. Even though I solved them via a workaround it was still stuck in my craw.

By default Max System Units are set to Inches, despite what you set your display units or fbx import/export conversions to. Easy to overlook, or just not even assume there's any problem or incompatibility, by default.

Basically open the units setup from the customize menu then open the System Units menu and set it to centimeters. After that the FBX files will load in at a correct scale and export all nice and tidy.

As an aside, there's also a setting in the fbx importer to leave bones as bones, you may want to have that checked on to to avoid getting them converted to dummies.

aDUgs4Y.pngcMqd414.png