Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go ahead an use renders if you like.

The trouble with renders, and why Valve is not recommending you present that way, is because renders usually don't represent what the weapon looks like in-game.

With renderers you can use all kinds of nice fx that don't exist in the real-time gaming world.

Game artists use their game engine to view their work. It's the best way to improve your game artwork, and make it look its best in the game. 
  • IgnasFTW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IgnasFTW null
    So the UV texture has to be only in workbench or also in presentation?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IgnasFTW said:
    So the UV texture has to be only in workbench or also in presentation?
    It should be in your presentation. You could just convert the actual texture image into JPG format, so you can embed it in the forum post.
  • Paul_Cupald
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul_Cupald vertex
    Hello,
    My first topic have been deleted somehow. Can I get any information why would somebody delete my topic?
    Thanks in advance!
    It looks like you deleted it somehow. I'll restore it for you. What is the title of the deleted thread?
    It was PC-CSGO | PP-Bizon death row wip - or at least something like that! I have opened a new thread named the same just Finished instead. I would be glad if you could restore it somehow. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you go to your profile page you should see it listed there.
  • Paul_Cupald
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul_Cupald vertex
    Yup, its back. thank you!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Is it just my browser or do the last two weapons in the initial post not have a name / rarity listed?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan said:
    Is it just my browser or do the last two weapons in the initial post not have a name / rarity listed?
    The last title has all three guns listed, because they share the same rarity.
  • lanvinpierre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where is the finals submission thread? 

also do i have the list down right

1. WIP POST THREAD
    2. SUBMIT TO WORKSHOP
    3. POST TO FINALS SUBMISSION THREAD

am i missing something, can i include all my works in one WIP thread if multiple entries
  • princeprabhu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea admins pls reply to this post.. How to submit the skins to Polycount forum?
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Can you guys read the rules?!
    There is everything you need to know.

A thread will be created by a moderator, near to the end of the competition. This will be announced in a Sticky at the top of the competition sub-forum, as well as on the front News page.

So in other words now you need to make only your WORK IN PROGRESS threads.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please read the first post of this thread, then my subsequent replies in this thread. Those questions have been answered already.

After you have read them, then if you still have questions I will be happy to help with answers.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    flaagan said:
    The last title has all three guns listed, because they share the same rarity.
    Doh! Thanks EC.
  • IgnasFTW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IgnasFTW null
    Do I have to remove ,,WIP" from topic or create new topic without it?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thread title doesn't really matter. At first I thought everyone should have the same thread prefix (PC-CSGO | yourskinname) but I don't think it matters for the thread title. What matters is the name you use in Workbench when you submit.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I was cruising some of the threads coming up with a design and was curious. Is this copyrite infringement ? It clearly steals the R2 design and color scheme. Im trying to get a base for what we can use t odesign from or what we cannot . Can a color scheme be copyrite ?
    http://polycount.com/discussion/169280/pc-csgo-m4a4-astromech

• IgnasFTW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IgnasFTW null
    I was cruising some of the threads coming up with a design and was curious. Is this copyrite infringement ? It clearly steals the R2 design and color scheme. Im trying to get a base for what we can use t odesign from or what we cannot . Can a color scheme be copyrite ?

I don't think that colours can be copyrighted. Btw nice skin.
  • __UNSILENT__
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as far as i understand, this design is fine unless it uses the name R2D2 or any starwars references. you can assume this guy is borrowing the R2 theme, but thats all in the eye of the beholder. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That skin doesn't scream R2-D2 to me. It uses some of the colors from the character, but it doesn't use R2-D2's likeness, and doesn't copy any of the major R2-D2 design elements. If it had R2-D2's face, that would probably be infringement.

For example, something like this would be copyright infringement, IMHO. It's very obviously a copy of R2-D2.

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feel like i need a lawyer lol 
  • Primrose~
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Primrose~ triangle
    People seem to be completely ignoring a pretty well stated rule, don't understand why. You shouldn't have to worry about infringing copyright, but what people should worry about is straight up breaking rules already set in stone by the competition.

While it is fine to use reference for inspiration your finish cannot contain elements from copyrighted works, reference to other IP’s, or make use of any images or material that you do not own.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Primrose~ said:
    People seem to be completely ignoring a pretty well stated rule, don't understand why. You shouldn't have to worry about infringing copyright, but what people should worry about is straight up breaking rules already set in stone by the competition.

While it is fine to use reference for inspiration your finish cannot contain elements from copyrighted works, reference to other IP’s, or make use of any images or material that you do not own.
    So does the model I posted violate this rule because it references r2d2 ?
  • Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    Primrose~ said:

Nah you're fine man don't worry, nothing resembles r2d2 except the squares next to eachother, but since when are squares next to eachother copyrighted. You have nothing to worry about I'd say!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr said:
    I believe it does not. I believe the rule is meant to prevent copy/paste,  not to prevent using inspired stylization. IMHO the skin is inspired by R2-D2 and none of it is a direct copy.

But hey, I'm not one of the Valve judges. If you want to be totally sure, then be conservative with how close you hew to your inspiration.
  • maleficskins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where do I post my WIP. Because when I go to the forum for the WIP there are only like 10 submissions and only a page 1??
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where do I post my WIP. Because when I go to the forum for the WIP there are only like 10 submissions and only a page 1??
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2440834/#Comment_2440834
  • maleficskins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

• maleficskins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HElp I cant post images from imgur it shows up like this
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/NU9oiNY.png[/img]
  • rafear97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rafear97 polycounter lvl 2
    I have a question, since my english isn't strong enough, I didn't quite understand, where do we have to post finished skins on polycount? Will there be new forum later for that?
  • IgnasFTW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IgnasFTW null
    I wanted to ask, can I edit presentation shot like change background and add text, but the skin will be used only from workshop(screenshot in game).
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HElp I cant post images from imgur it shows up like this
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/NU9oiNY.png[/img]
    There are three ways to embed an image in your post:

1. Save your image onto your computer hard drive, open the folder where the image is, edit your Polycount post, and drag the image from your computer folder into your post editing field.

2. Save your image onto your computer hard drive, edit your Polycount post, click on the Attach Image/File button (bent page icon), click on Choose Files, find the image in the folder on your computer, click OK. 

3. Upload your image to the web host somewhere, like Imgur etc. Copy the full URL of the image. This URL must start with http: and end with the image extension, .jpg or .gif or .png (we recommend jpg). For example:http://i.imgur.com/qobP07W.jpg  You can usually get this URL by right-clicking on a web image and choosing "Copy Image Address" or similar, each web browser is slightly different. Then edit your Polycount post, click on the Attach Image/File button (bent page icon), and paste your image URL. 

If these don't work, please let me know.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rafear97 said:
    I have a question, since my english isn't strong enough, I didn't quite understand, where do we have to post finished skins on polycount? Will there be new forum later for that?
    Please read the first post of this thread.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IgnasFTW said:
    I wanted to ask, can I edit presentation shot like change background and add text, but the skin will be used only from workshop(screenshot in game).
    That should be fine, according to the rules. 
  • Xilick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick triangle
    @Eric Chadwick this is kinda awkward, but I have accidently moved my post from CS:GO weapon finish contest to Counter-Strike GO and now i cannot move it back (i do same steps as i did before but apparently there is no option to move it now) could you please tell me what I do wrong and why I cant move it back? also, in CS:GO weapon finish contest, from some reason i cant add pictures from my pc (i can only post them with link) but in counter-strike go it works without problem. thanks in advance for your answer
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick said:
    could you please tell me what I do wrong and why I cant move it back? also, in CS:GO weapon finish contest, from some reason i cant add pictures from my pc (i can only post them with link) but in counter-strike go it works without problem. 
    I moved your thread for you.

Please click the Send Message link next to my post, and send me the exact step-by-step details for your image error. I need to understand what exactly you are doing, and what error messages you see. Thank you.
  • yarally1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are my skins still eligible for the contest if I didn't make a WIP here on Polycount?... If not, can I still do something about that after uploading my design to the workshop?
  • SilentFrags
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What Do I Need To Make A Skin?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yarally1 said:
    Are my skins still eligible for the contest if I didn't make a WIP here on Polycount?... If not, can I still do something about that after uploading my design to the workshop?
    No, unfortunately. :(

The purpose of the WIPs is to solicit periodic feedback but perhaps more importantly to show your creative process.

If you post your process images after you have finished your skin, that defeats both purposes. At that point the images could be faked, not really showing your actual working process.

Sorry to deliver bad news.

Reading and following instructions is an important part of every contest.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What Do I Need To Make A Skin?
    Read the first post of this thread.
  • Xilick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick triangle
    IgnasFTW said:

I don't think that colours can be copyrighted. Btw nice skin.
    it is not against copyright but it COULD be against rules in MY opinion. im on workshop over an year and i think valve doesnt add these kind of skins because its just way too similar (to r2d2). i immidaitely recognised the reference. but again, dont mean to influence anyone and not trying to be smart, just saying my opinion and my reason why i think you shouldnt continue in this way beacuse it would be pitty to spend time on something that cant be added. wish its okay tho, the skin looks pretty sweet
  • KryptiKCuBED
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do I submit a skin to the competition?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You read the rules.

Jeez, how many more questions am I going to get like this? 
  • Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    You read the rules.

Jeez, how many more questions am I going to get like this? 
    I think you should start ignoring these questions from now on, I'm starting to feel bad for you man! If people don't want to take the time to read the introduction post, so be it!
  • Grumpntug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grumpntug polycounter lvl 11
    Endritv said:
    I think you should start ignoring these questions from now on, I'm starting to feel bad for you man! If people don't want to take the time to read the introduction post, so be it!
    Yeah, I feel like that should be the first point of failure...
  • arcticnoah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would just like to ask about, how many posts are promoting their skin(s) via Steam Workshop, is this allowed now or is it still not allowed? Sorry if this has been answered already
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would just like to ask about, how many posts are promoting their skin(s) via Steam Workshop, is this allowed now or is it still not allowed? Sorry if this has been answered already
    Could you please show me an example?
  • arcticnoah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure: http://polycount.com/discussion/170118/pc-csgo-polygon-planetside
    I am not trying to 'frame' this user, but he was the first example I could remember/find
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Promoting your skins in your own thread is fine.

That user however is not maintaining a work-in-progress thread. They posted everything after the fact, each post minutes apart. If I were judging, I would disqualify that skin.

• You must create and maintain a Work-In-Progress (WIP) thread at Polycount for your entry in the CS:GO forum.
    • All submissions to the Steam Workshop for this contest must be final. Use your WIP thread on Polycount to show your work-in-progress.

• arcticnoah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, good to know, thanks for answering!
  • Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    Promoting your skins in your own thread is fine.

That user however is not maintaining a work-in-progress thread. They posted everything after the fact, each post minutes apart. If I were judging, I would disqualify that skin.

• You must create and maintain a Work-In-Progress (WIP) thread at Polycount for your entry in the CS:GO forum.
    • All submissions to the Steam Workshop for this contest must be final. Use your WIP thread on Polycount to show your work-in-progress.

There are so many people doing this, posting wips after they have finished their guns, did valve set the rules or did polycount set them? Who will be applying these rules to the contest? Since you are saying polycount will not be judging any of them I am wondering if Valve will really be following the rules that much while judging the skins on the workshop. Not sure if they will be caring about the wips that much. Either way I will keep following the rules.