Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2011 Edition!

Replies

• Dalarcon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dalarcon polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys my name is David. This is an old model that Ive revived or have tried to. Its supposed to be Batwoman i built her in zbrush and i was hoping for some good critiques. Thanks.
    33bfw45.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey everyone!
    I'm pretty new to the forum, posted only once so far and my post got lost in the middle of all your amazing work ;).
    I wanted to post something i've been working of for about 3 days now. I'm no character artist at all but, at work right now its kinda slowing down so they ask me to use the free time I have to do some ''auto-training'' to do characters (since there is only one character artist in my company).
    I've only made one other character in my life so far so im pretty new to this. I'm looking forward to have some nice critics and comments...

Obviously its not finish ;)
    6xqMW.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Dalarcon wrote: »
    Hey guys my name is David. This is an old model that Ive revived or have tried to. Its supposed to be Batwoman i built her in zbrush and i was hoping for some good critiques. Thanks.
    33bfw45.jpg

just trying to help, I'm probbaly not the best reference or the person with the most valuable opinion here but still
    aUZsn.jpg
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gillmeister74 polycounter lvl 7
    Dalarcon wrote: »
    33bfw45.jpg

tits has a good point. There some proportion stuff in there that can be tweaked. I'd say make the waist a bit thinner, as well as wider hips (to push the girlish figure) and try to get the arch in back that you naturally get with the curve of the spine. Also If there is a batman thing going on, push it. I think this can be really cool. Keep the posts coming
  • CapAmer1ca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapAmer1ca polycounter lvl 5
    Roelant - Thx man!
    Autocon - Thank you!
    ChrisPerr - Thx!
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    You changed her face? I liked the previous one better :\ Either way, great work!

Not that much really, some of the differences might come due to the slightly different perspective as i didn't safe my camera back then, but i had the feeling to change a few things as well, i moved the eyes slightly lower in the head as i did in my overpaint. I did some very minimal changes to the lips and thats about it, changes on the ear are not really visible under the hair ^^
    the biggest change are the eyeballs, i previously created some for my stockpool based on some xray photos of actual heads. Most work went into details on the body and satting up a somewhat simple workflow to place and detail the feathers in one move.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    I think I'm finished with this-~4k tris 1024 diffuse, and cavity normal map. I still have to put together his construction sheets when I get a chance.
    demonduderender.jpg
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! wrote: »
    I think I'm finished with this-~4k tris 1024 diffuse, and cavity normal map. I still have to put together his construction sheets when I get a chance.

I really like how this looks. It's a color palette you don't see very often too. I do have a dumb noob question though. What's the difference between a regular normal map and a cavity normal map?
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    jmiles wrote: »
    mileswadsworthcryopodhp.jpg

beauty03.png

beauty03wires.jpg

A little something I've been working on for the last few weeks.. a cryostasis pod.. I finished it last Friday, but have been tweaking the textures here and there.. and got permission to show it.. was a test for a game deveoper in TX... not sayin who just yet.. really fun challenge tho.. got it in on time under budget..

This needs more love! I'm guessing you can't tell us the concept artist?
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    double post, but I got crits :D
    man_o_mule wrote: »
    horaceandottopage1wip.jpg

Top panel: Word ballon looks squashed up because of its long flat shape and the massive white space to the right. I would move the foot down a tad and give the balloon a more uniform shape. You can still anchor it to the border.

I will assume the white space is for a establishing shot background because otherwise it is kind of a waste

Middle panel 1: I like this pose, again the balloons are kind of getting in the way of the art when there's white space right there underneath it! Also you lettering is messy throughout. Layout lines for the lettering (you don't need the tools), and if possible, get a hold of a [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldline-Layout-Paper-50gsm-GPL1A3/dp/B000SHS2JG"]Layout Pad[/ame] and try doing your balloons on that. This is paper thin enough that you can place over your drawing and see through, without being as terrible as tracing paper. You can scan in both 'layers' and composite them in Photoshop.

Middle panel 3: Baloon is overlapping the fly, the frog and two sides of the panel! Give it some room to breath!

Open panel: Lovely shot! I would be careful, however, with the background tree that is under the upper left panel, as the leaves on the side conflict with the leaves in the panel above, and the trunk likewise. Best scrap it. I would also get rid of the small trunk you can glimpse under the fourth panel that doesn't go anywhere and just crowds the space.

Those two centre panels: Quite cramped, especially compared to the empty panels below. This isn't something you could easily fix in Photoshop now, so I'll just leave it as a general lesson; They cover up the frogs arms which are preforming the key part of that 'open palms out' pose! with something like that you need to have the silhouette of the arms on panel clearly to sell it as effectively as possible.

Bottom panel 1: The panels 'weight' feels off center here. I would try and center both the frog and the balloon together.

All bottom panels: Whether or not you draw a background for these or whatever, stick a shadow under the frogs feet to ground him. He is floating or flying right now.

bottom middle panel: Sticking in a gesturing arm in the white space here would make the pose a little more dynamic, fit the dialogue and transition nicely to the exit...

Last panel: Nice exit! :D

So sorry for the essay! I've had illustration on the brain the last few weeks and I saw this as a nice little exercise for myself before I go off and do some storyboarding later! I realise you probably don't want to rework half this stuff now, but I hope it helps you in later pages or comics! Oh and I really liked the flow of dialogue you have, the eye moves very easily around your page overall, just the wonky balloons slowing things down a bit!

:thumbup:
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Tigerfeet wrote: »
    I really like how this looks. It's a color palette you don't see very often too. I do have a dumb noob question though. What's the difference between a regular normal map and a cavity normal map?

Thanks!-I'm just calling it that since I just normal mapped the cavity areas of the diffuse to affect the light.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
  • eyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    Trying out a little prop using dynamesh groups to handle the sculpting topology, base mesh done now on to the fun stuff :-)

lampbase.jpg
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    fearian wrote: »
    double post, but I got crits :D

Top panel: Word ballon looks squashed up because of its long flat shape and the massive white space to the right. I would move the foot down a tad and give the balloon a more uniform shape. You can still anchor it to the border.

I will assume the white space is for a establishing shot background because otherwise it is kind of a waste

Middle panel 1: I like this pose, again the balloons are kind of getting in the way of the art when there's white space right there underneath it! Also you lettering is messy throughout. Layout lines for the lettering (you don't need the tools), and if possible, get a hold of a Layout Pad and try doing your balloons on that. This is paper thin enough that you can place over your drawing and see through, without being as terrible as tracing paper. You can scan in both 'layers' and composite them in Photoshop.

Middle panel 3: Baloon is overlapping the fly, the frog and two sides of the panel! Give it some room to breath!

Open panel: Lovely shot! I would be careful, however, with the background tree that is under the upper left panel, as the leaves on the side conflict with the leaves in the panel above, and the trunk likewise. Best scrap it. I would also get rid of the small trunk you can glimpse under the fourth panel that doesn't go anywhere and just crowds the space.

Those two centre panels: Quite cramped, especially compared to the empty panels below. This isn't something you could easily fix in Photoshop now, so I'll just leave it as a general lesson; They cover up the frogs arms which are preforming the key part of that 'open palms out' pose! with something like that you need to have the silhouette of the arms on panel clearly to sell it as effectively as possible.

Bottom panel 1: The panels 'weight' feels off center here. I would try and center both the frog and the balloon together.

All bottom panels: Whether or not you draw a background for these or whatever, stick a shadow under the frogs feet to ground him. He is floating or flying right now.

bottom middle panel: Sticking in a gesturing arm in the white space here would make the pose a little more dynamic, fit the dialogue and transition nicely to the exit...

Last panel: Nice exit! :D

So sorry for the essay! I've had illustration on the brain the last few weeks and I saw this as a nice little exercise for myself before I go off and do some storyboarding later! I realise you probably don't want to rework half this stuff now, but I hope it helps you in later pages or comics! Oh and I really liked the flow of dialogue you have, the eye moves very easily around your page overall, just the wonky balloons slowing things down a bit!

:thumbup:

Thanks for the crits. Most of the stuff is all down in India ink and since its only the first page I've done for this class I'm in, I'm not too worried about fixing this page. Ill keep them in mind for later pages.

I suck at lettering. I did use an Ames lettering guide to lay down guide lines butmy penmenship is so bad that it looks like I didn't. The main thing I try to keep in mind when placing bubbles is a rule I read once. It stated that the next piece of dialog should be in the next closest bubble. Cause that's where the eye goes anyway.

I agree with all your crits though and I will keepthem in mind for my next page. Also the large white area in panel one is for a background and logo. Still working on logo ideas.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    ok i think its done ( i didn't spend enough time with feet again, bad arif)
    lazy.jpg
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    looks kick ass neox, can't wait to see the model textured and shaded!
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Sweet n' neat Jarrede!
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Just cross-posting from my other thread.

schsamwip.png
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poster-wip.jpg

Some Billboards ive been putting together for a scene im working on inside Cryengine 3. Billboard is 256 and both posters are on the same 512.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Was planning on working on a scene... but now I may just play around with sculpting / texturing for awhile.

practice01.jpg

Me and Eyo (workmate) have been playing around trying to understand Orb's style (along with Faf and others etc.) And we're trying to figure out what main brushes they use to get the desired results within zbrush.

This gives me a great excuse to finally get back into zbrush and learn the damn program, and gives Evan (eyo) more time to just be more uber!

So this is my first stab at it.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    new screenie

(clicky)
    PSC_tsc01-300x187.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Very envious of you Rooster. I'm sure you've answered this many times, but what engine are you using (Unity?) and were you an artist before learning how to program, or Visa Versa.

Nothing but respect for you good sir, can't wait to see more.
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker wrote: »
    Sweat n' neat Jarrede!

Thanks! I was hesitant to post it here because I'm starting to stray away from game art with this one, was just something I always wanted to do. Character is under 10k with the whole scene at 27k.

I'm glad you dig it :)
  • - Livewire -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Livewire - polycounter lvl 9
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good, Jason & Livewire.

Did some more work on Valkyrie. Adding more lights to the mesh, adjusting the emissive, etc.

valk2.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Very envious of you Rooster. I'm sure you've answered this many times, but what engine are you using (Unity?)

It was Quest3D, I believe.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Some demon creature thingy...
    demoncreature.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    rooster wrote: »
    PSC_tsc01-300x187.jpg

In this image, the dark floor borders appear to merge with the wall, looking like a hugely thick wall and making your characters appear to float above the wall.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    jarrede this is awesome man. Love it.
  • Joe Lemonade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe Lemonade polycounter lvl 8
    Some progress

23970777.png

Nice, I like the design! :thumbup: Looks like something that could actually work. Not too big and clumsy.
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCpJUOKeNUU&feature=player_embedded"]UDK - The Orange Room (Apartment) WIP - YouTube[/ame]

Was learning a bit of Kismet/Matinee 2 day!
    Quick dirty Camera placement (bit jerky in places) but will do a hi res, clean cut version when the level is all fleshed out.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, I like the design! :thumbup: Looks like something that could actually work. Not too big and clumsy.

It DOES work, it's a real gun:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SnwPERdJ2z8/TN-m2TI3zcI/AAAAAAAAABY/QanXwJxizjU/s1600/SHOT%2BShow%2B2007%2B-%2BKRISS%2BSuper%2BV%2BSystem%2BSubmachine%2BGun%2B%2528.45%2BACP%2529_5.jpg
  • MGrecke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MGrecke polycounter lvl 7
    I have previously posted a really simple zombie model which I got a lot of great comments on! so id like to thank everyone for the nice words! :)
    and I also thought it would be a perfect model to make a papercraft from so I did!
    I also did print it and make it this morning and it turned out great!
    So feel free to save it and print it out yourselves!

zombie_papercraft_by_go_maxpower-d4czrrh.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Snader wrote: »
    In this image, the dark floor borders appear to merge with the wall, looking like a hugely thick wall and making your characters appear to float above the wall.

cheers man! I'll take a look at tweaking the borders :)
    Jason: yeah it's quest3d :) I was an artist first
  • BLACKMETAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BLACKMETAL polycounter lvl 9
    Wip DSHKM machine gun:

c7a1ccb7505b.png
    a559e009174c.png
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    There is so much sick shit in this thread, I love it.

Here is the week one blog post for my subscription bakery, and a few shots from it.

http://hveitiogsmjor.blogspot.com/2011/10/week01-tri-chip-cookies.html

trichip_cookies-9.jpg

trichip_cookies-7.jpg

I did the packaging design myself (and the stamp/logo design)

trichip_cookies-13.jpg
  • rebeldreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got the image sharing stuff figured out (sheepish grin...)

Here's some stuff I'm working on for a project in CryEngine (it was going to be UDK, but then I thought, naaah, go with CE :D )

The Ghast...

ghastposerework.jpg

And uhm... a really old guy... .:)

ancientwarrior.jpg

ZBrush right now, but you get the general idea.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cookies look delicious :) Packaging looks really healthy, oldskool and straight to the point too. Some of the modern packaging makes you wonder whether you are actually buying food or 16 layers of colorful plastic junk it's wrapped in.
  • Chielvl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chielvl polycounter lvl 5
    Im currently involved in a game making for a school project and just finished modeling this sniper. The diffuse is somewhat done, but the rest of the texture is yet to come:

ESE%20Sniperrifle2.1.png

I'd love some feedback.
  • text_fish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love that Ghast Rebeldreams. It would be awesome in a 2011-ified Quake 1.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those cookies look great Ben, hope your bakery does well :P
  • rebeldreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers text_fish! Now all I need is for CE3 SDK to get a DX11 update :) It won't look near as good unless I get some tessellation on it.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Lots of awesome cookies

Man, you wouldn't believe the sounds my stomach is making right now. That looks so so so good. Damnit, well, I'm off to the store to get cookies I guess.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Still struggling trying to work out how to deal with scales

cap01.jpg
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    trying to get back into this with a lil bit of sub-d - my take on a lotus 25 very wip

wip1-2.jpg
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MGrecke wrote: »
    I have previously posted a really simple zombie model which I got a lot of great comments on! so id like to thank everyone for the nice words! :)
    and I also thought it would be a perfect model to make a papercraft from so I did!
    I also did print it and make it this morning and it turned out great!
    So feel free to save it and print it out yourselves!

zombie_papercraft_by_go_maxpower-d4czrrh.jpg

lol! this is awesome! Nice use of color here too :)
This discussion has been closed.