• Azimn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it too late to enter?
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    As long as you can be done before the month is out - can't see why not! The competition is getting seriously hot though. :D
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Man loving you guys,
    demonprincess, poop and zweebie...my FAV
    casey might come in hard with that sexy sillu of pliskin though

It takes a week-tops to get a low model model done imo. So yes, Azim :)
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean polycounter lvl 8
    Another WIP from me. I'm getting there! This is seriously one of the first low poly people I have ever modeled and the only I've ever gotten this far to being done. SLOW GOING.

I am also new to digital painting (let alone using colors at all really, since I actually only do line art with pencils and inks generally), so any and all criticisms, comments, and nuggets of advice are more than welcome!

chow2gettingThere2.png
  • Azimn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys here is my WIP I bet you can guess who is, oh and please critique!myshaun.jpg
  • TripleAs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhm... well, this may be kinda akward, it's my first post and I think I'm a bit late, but I'd like to enter the challenge (even though my modelling/texturing skills are really crappy compared to most of the people in this thread :poly102:)

I don't know if I have to sign in somewhere... can somebody please point me in the right direction on that? Or should I just post a WIP in here?...

Either way, here's my really crappy "work in progress"
    korbendallas.jpg
    korbendallas.jpg

About 6 hours of work, standing at 654 tris and 3x128x128.
    The weird pose is because I did some fast rigging to see if it could be animated, and... well, apart from some holes in the feet it... "can" be rigged.
    I may do Leloo, some weapons and a quick scene if I have the time.
  • Red Handed Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Red Handed Gamer polycounter lvl 10
    WIP Jack Sparrow

wip_1_silhouette.jpg

Thoughts? Concerns? Praise? Crits?
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Not terribly happy with the likeness on this one, so I'll see if I can fix it with fresh eyes at some point.

LPC2OzymandiasRender.jpg

Only one Watchman left!
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    love the work your doing on these quick ones zwebbie, definitely could make a small platform game with those chars!
  • Rorkimaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rorkimaru polycounter lvl 10
    Havent checkd or posted here in ages because of my exams. Just finished them the other day. God the quality went into overdrive. Seriously, looking at these makes me want to take my modeling skills and go hide in a cupboard until the first of oct!

Anyway, Havn't got any new work because I've been so busy but I'm getting back to it asap. All models look great but The watchmen and that Inglorious Bastard are amazing. Really top notch work from all involved
  • Azimn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love pirates I cant wait to see Jack done..
  • isilme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting out pretty late, and I've never really... textured before... We'll see how this goes
    30bff2v.jpg
    Any guesses yet?
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Hay guys.
    Wow things are starting to look ace.

Zwebbie: Your characters are looking sweet as. :)

cycloverid: wow your texture work is amazing, My only crit would be that there is a bit of weird stretching on the back pack but other than that I dig it.

poopinmymouth: My fav so far. awesome texture work and the pose is solid.

DemonPrincess: Such nice clean texture work, If the rest of you character comes out as nice the head you might just steel poop's position :)

Rhinokey: HAHAHA I dig a good stylised character and I have to say that you entry always brings a smile to my face. I hope we get to see some more soon.

Everyone else sorry I missed you but I have a heap of work to do :( I will try to get to you all at some stage.

Well little update The helmet has a placeholder texture on it at the moment. I have been working mainly on the jacket and base colours.

If you have any comments or crits just give me a yell. I am always happy to get some advice ;)

Keep the coolness coming boys and girls I am keen to see where a lot of these characters go.

D.

48394859.jpg
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean polycounter lvl 8
    Holy crap, duncan!!!!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    yeah looking sweet. Though i think the helmet has some unnecessary polies. Did you just do that to fill upto the polycount? :P
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update, I drew in the face but I'm wondering if I should go for more of a cartoon look? WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?

face.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha thanks mrmmaclean :)

butt_sahib: yeah the helmet is a bit expensive but I like the roundness of it. Plus I might just dig into them and pull a few out for some smoke particles.

Jasonin3d: I love cartoony / stylised characters, so for me there is no other option ;) keep it up man, I am keen to see which side of the fence you land on :)
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    That rocketeer is looking balls awesome, Duncan. Good work. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
  • isilme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rocketman is looking awesome, wow. Love the proportions

Update on der Juden B
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    that rocketeer would make a great brawl-em-up game. goons and background ftw!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Zwebbie wrote: »

Only one Watchman left!

comment from my esteemed colleague on your models:

"his penis is too small, and her tits should be bigger. like melons."
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well ive jst registered to this site since i realy liked the comp. i am doing kung fu panda and ill put up my orthos tommorow :)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Love that rocketeer! very nice work, I agree with hawken would be a nice game indeed.

So I edited my S.Connor model (by the way thanks for those critics)so fixed the boobs issue, shoulder issue, small head issue and added some hips. Hope it looks better in wireframe at least. I also redid the hands and face and added two weapons, one will be attatched to her side which is the blade she's holding, or I can attatch the assault rifle seeing as it's 127 tris and I only found out today that we can only have 100 for the weapon :(. So my 27 tris blade might have to be the one she uses :(.

sconnorfixed.gif

Question about that if I included the weapon counts to the model (which I did) could I still have a weapon? or could she use the gun since I am spot on with the allowed tri count?

Nice work everyone loving the texture work going on in here!
    3am sleep time :\
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    $!nz: I think the weapon is an additional element, there for it does not have to be part of the Characters tri count. "100 tri's Per weapon"
    The rules:

character: 700 tris
    texture space: 4 x 128px by 128px /or/ 1 x 256px by 256px (diffuse / alpha / specular)

(additional elements)
    weapons: max 100 tris per weapon
    weapons tex: 64px by 64px per weapon
    destructible: max 200 tris per item
    destructible tex: 128px by 128px per item
    environment: max 500 tris
    environment tex: 4 x 128px by 128px /or/ 1 x 256px by 256px
    npc: max 500 tris
    npc tex: 2 x 128px by 128px

[Edit] Oh, I get what your saying now, your question is, if you can use extra unused tri's from the character on the weapons. Dunno the answer, sounds like a judgment call only Hawken can answer.

Soooo.... A friend of mine asked if I could make a base mesh, that fit this competitions budget. I was wondering if I could get crits on it before I call it done. I modeled it real quick last night, I used Ancient Pigs basic deformation setups, and the proportions are highly influenced from Andrew Loomis. Also, I'm gonna give this mesh away when its done.

BTW, I plan on modifying this mesh, to make Bruce Willis from Die Hard 4.0 (since no one is doing the most obvious choice, lol). I have an art test coming up, Unearthly Challenge, and some personal stuff to finish, but I think I can squeeze this character in. :)

BaseMesh_700Tri's.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Duncan: That diffuse is excellent!
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i no i sound stupid but ive never posted on here before and have no idea to attach an image, help :)
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    just noticed this compo a couple of hours ago (shame on me)

anyway started working on an entry as well :)

29zseuv.jpg
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vreq04.jpg
    another update ^^
  • Rorkimaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rorkimaru polycounter lvl 10
    vreq04.jpg
    another update ^^

Fast work! Jacket needs a few bright white hilights though. It looks like a matte finish not shiny red leather
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet thanks for the big up guys :)

AHotHandSandwich: wow thanks. I am a huge fan of you Dom War character.

hawken: haha thanks man I am prob going to go for background but I don't know if I am going have time to add goons:( fingers crossed.

$!nz: :) thanks. I am keen to Sarah with some textures. Keep up the ace work.

BradMyers82: thanks a lot :) Your base mesh is looking solid to me but I am keen to where you go with him.

Ravenslayer: I agree with, Rorkimaru very fast work and yes I think the jacket could do with a few hilights too. I might suggest taking another look at the proportions, the thighs look a bit too wide for me and the head might be a squash too small. Other than that Solid work so far keep it up :)

gegrazion: I don't know if there is an upload image option on Polycount but I always attach a link from an external site like Image shack.

.................eg...Imageaddress.jpg

here is where I am at just a little update. I need to get a move on if I am going to get this one finished.

Thanks again for the kind words everyone :)

D.

57670731.jpg
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Superb texturing Duncan! :thumbup:
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan: thanks alot hope this works, heres my orthos.
    kungfupandaorthos.jpg
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wooot haha it worked. now this is the low poly model it stands in at 698, started texturing, very basic but only just started it and trying to get the likeness right.

pandawire.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gegrazion: wow great start. Awesome choice of character too. I am looking forward to your next update :)

Dev0205: Thanks :)

P.S I think I need some more smilieZ
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tnx for the comments guys gonna do some changes on him today ^^
    gegrazion: looking good so far, very smooth topology for such a lowpoly char

duncan : great job, i love the backlighting from the flames
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan: thanks alot man and i love the update, i agree with raven totaly dig the backlighting from the flames realy adds character.

Ravenslayer: cheers mate i realy tried yesterday to make it deform and look as smooth as pos, never made something so low before if i have time might make a few more before the times up :)

well no update yet ive ben out all day but going to get cracking and finish the diffuse tonite, im not sure what direction im gonig in, realistic/stylised or just stylised. thanks again guys for your kind words keep up the awsome work
  • 120Degree_Flip
    ravenslayer: your concept is so f.ing cool.....
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i had an early night so didnt finsh the textures, tbh didnt start them i redid his uv space becos he didnt have enuf res on his pants and feet. im jw wen we set up our scene can we have real time shadows? and what materails are we limited to?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    gegrazion: These are the textures you can use: Diffuse, Alpha, and Specular
    texture space: 4 x 128px by 128px /or/ 1 x 256px by 256px (diffuse / alpha / specular)

I'm guessing the shadows won't be an issue, since it doesn't really effect the look of the character. You should probably be sure though before your make you final presentation sheets.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Here is the Bruce Willis Low Poly I made from the base mesh I posted earlier. Again, I'm doing Bruce Willis from Die Hard 4.0.

-The character is exactly 700 tri's
    -The gun is exactly 100 tri's

I will probably make the mesh less symmetrical once I get the uv's sorted. Textures will be coming soon!

BruceWilliis_UltraLP_Wires.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Here is the Generic Low Poly Male as promised: http://www.bradm3d.com/images/Paintovers/GenericLowPolyMaleFinal.zip

Since I didn't get any crits, I guess it's ok as is. Hope some of you find it useful, it worked quite nicely for me with the Bruce Willis character at least.

GenericLowPolyMaleFinal.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Here is the Generic Low Poly Male as promised: http://www.bradm3d.com/images/Paintovers/GenericLowPolyMaleFinal.zip

Since I didn't get any crits, I guess it's ok as is. Hope some of you find it useful, it worked quite nicely for me with the Bruce Willis character at least.

GenericLowPolyMaleFinal.jpg

I think you used cylinders with too many sides, and then you ran into the poly limit when making cross sections. 4 and 5 sided cylinders is tops on characters this low. Remember adding cross sections really jacks the triangle count, so keeping the cylinder sides low is pivotal to being able to have enough cross sections to make proper joints and get the silhouette you want.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    gegrazion wrote: »
    wooot haha it worked. now this is the low poly model it stands in at 698, started texturing, very basic but only just started it and trying to get the likeness right.

pandawire.jpg

Awesome Panda :-D
  • isilme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    33w6vzt.jpg

Crits, especially on texture, would be great
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    isilme: im not liking the shirt tbh, who are you ment to be doing? sumthing i seem to do when i texture a model is do it in passes, i dont just focus on 1 area till i no most of the main detail is there, otherewise it can look like youve made seperate peices and just tried to make it work by sticking it all together
  • isilme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're talking about the untextured segments, that's where his suspenders come over the shirt (separate mesh). Otherwise I'm not quite sure what you mean. I did it in passes: first the basic texture (lines), then basic shading, then shadows for the folds, then some highlights. The shirts supposed to be a plain white wife beater

ETA: Bear Jew from Inglorious Basterds, btw
    http://13.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kp60u7eFMH1qa0z8lo1_400.jpg
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    isilme: lol what i mean is texture the whole model at once, so give it a base colour, cream shirt, brown shoes etc, then and variation to the colour, then details, then light and shadow, for me it usualy works much better and faster. white, it looks cream and brown, think u need to be more subtle. really like ur base mesh just think his biceps need to be longer, good luck :)
  • isilme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh, I see what you mean. Thanks for the tips, I'll make some adjustments :)
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenslayer, looks good but maybe needs more work on the face for better likeness. I'd make the jaw wider, nose longer, eyebrows less tilted and bring the mouth area forwards a bit.

Duncan, that is really good! Nice lighting from the rockets.

BradMyers82, looks good so far.

I've just started roughing in the environment. textures are just higher res place-holders again, until I put in all the geometry/uvs and don't have to worry about re baking the tex.

lpc2_7.png
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Poop: I totally agree with you.
    I made the legs and arms 5 sided, which I planned, but now that you mention it, the torso area does indeed have too many sides, and that meant giving up cross sections like the forearms.
    I'm gonna have to re-work this later.

But, I did re-work the Bruce Willis character, and his uv's are done also.
    So, I'm going to get to the texturing now. Thanks for the crit man!

isilme: gegrazion is right on the money with what he said.
    Did you bake a simple AO for this character? That can work wonders alone.

okno: Thanks, your scene is looking really cool man! Can't wait to see more!

Here is a little update on Bruce Willis model.
    I traded out some polys in the torso (vertically), so that I can make the silhouette more interesting.
    The Uv's are now done, and he has some slight A symmetry going now.

BruceWillis_UltraLP02.jpg

[Edit] Oh, and he is still 700 Tri's exactly.
This discussion has been closed.