Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Help guys. The seams of my character are very visible when you look it from a far. It looks like a black line. But when you'll look at it closely, the seams disappear. I am pretty sure I have fixed the seams from the normal and color maps. Also, the character looks good in maya viewport and when rendered in mental ray. I included some pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

seam_problem1.jpg

seam_problem2.jpg
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    awesome render guys. I cant wait to finish what I am working on so that I can so it. Thanks again!!!
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    dwight-schrewt.jpg
    Question:

Can I use an emmisive map?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya wrote: »
    Help guys. The seams of my character are very visible when you look it from a far. It looks like a black line. But when you'll look at it closely, the seams disappear. I am pretty sure I have fixed the seams from the normal and color maps. Also, the character looks good in maya viewport and when rendered in mental ray. I included some pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

seam_problem1.jpg

seam_problem2.jpg

This is due to mip mapping, you can do 2 things to fix/improve this. The easiest is to force on anisotropic filtering in your graphics drivers, and the

2nd is to make sure you give more padding in your texture, and do not use a black border in the empty parts of the unused texture space.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN wrote: »
    dwight-schrewt.jpg
    Question:

Can I use an emmisive map?

No emmissive, on one of the first few pages i wrote up a little hack involving using the unlit material and photoshops
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March wrote: »
    I have something strange with the normals on my model when I have uploaded it into the toolbag.

screenshot6copy.jpg

The left is with object space unchecked with the normals, and the right is object space checked. Can someone clarify the problem for me?

Looks like your mesh normals arent being exported correctly, check your OBJ options and make sure "normals" are on and anything like compression is off.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any way to use/import .obj files exported from xsi? It doesnt seem to like the smoothing on the meshes.

tri.jpg

I've turned off geometry approximation in xsi (should basically be like putting everything in SG1 in max). When exporting I tell it to include userNormals, but I still end up with hard edges.

I can import and then export it from max (with normals) to fix it, but max tend to fuck up the mesh.

Looks like your mesh normals arent being exported correctly, check your OBJ options and make sure "normals" are on and anything like compression is off.

Most likely some issue with XSI's obj exporter, see if you can dig in the settings there a bit more, if max is exporting it correctly this is an XSI issue and not really related to marmoset.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    This is due to mip mapping, you can do 2 things to fix/improve this. The easiest is to force on anisotropic filtering in your graphics drivers, and the

2nd is to make sure you give more padding in your texture, and do not use a black border in the empty parts of the unused texture space.

Already tried forcing anisotropic filtering in my graphics driver.. No improvement. Anyway, thanks for the help. If you know other ways, please let me know. Thanks again.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    boyluya- Can you show us a pic of that area on the normal map?
  • Hatred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hatred polycounter lvl 18
    boyluya you should check that padding in your texture, if not you always have the same bug, just remember to have for example 3-4pix padding when you bake/draw
    so the texture when mip maping/sampling have same color of pix at edge to get color from, for all textures(spec/ normal/ diff etc) hope thatll help a bit
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more padding is always better, set it to 32 or something, it can never be a bad thing.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond wrote: »
    boyluya- Can you show us a pic of that area on the normal map?

Here it is..

seam_prob1.jpg

With uv snap..

seam_prob2.jpg

Are the paddings to the edges enough?
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make sure your verts are welded. just a guess
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well *you could also try to make them bigger and see what happen! How can we guess :P

It'll take 30 seconds to do in photoshop. (duplicate layer, remove areas between the chunks, duplicate, gaussian blur the one below, copy it 5 times or so, collapse all these cutout layer together, repeat a few times)

Also try to scale down your texture to like 256*256 and check out what happens.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya wrote: »
    Here it is..

seam_prob1.jpg

With uv snap..

seam_prob2.jpg

Are the paddings to the edges enough?

Its not just the normal map that needs to have padding, but the diffuse and specular as well. I would say re-render your normals/ao map out with large padding, like 32 or something.

You see its mipping to black, which likely means your diffuse has only a few pixels of padding, and then goes to black, so the normals isnt as much the issue here.

Xnormal also comes with a photoshop plugin that lets you add padding to your images, you could look into that.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Well *you could also try to make them bigger and see what happen! How can we guess :P

It'll take 30 seconds to do in photoshop. (duplicate layer, remove areas between the chunks, duplicate, gaussian blur the one below, copy it 5 times or so, collapse all these cutout layer together, repeat a few times)

Also try to scale down your texture to like 256*256 and check out what happens.

Hey XN has a PS plugin(as mentioned above) to automate this, dont do it the old school way dude!

To use the XN plugin, you need a flattened image, with an alpha channel of your uvlayout, just select all channels rgb+a and run the plugin.

This is especially great for things like sheets of tiling textures that have spacing, its a great way to make sure you have the best possible seams when mipping those sorts of textures down.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't need a flattened image or Alpha Channel, even. I just give my Wireframe layer a mask of all the uv islands. This doesn't change the look of the uv's, it just gives you an easy way to select them. I then control-click that to select the outlines of all my uv-islands, press ctrl-shift-c (copy flattened or something), and paste it to a new layer. Run the plugin on this, and it works great. I then usually drag this to the absolute bottom of my layers. For this purpose, I put everything else in a layer-set with (again that same) mask, so the newly created image comes up under the rest.

Now if someone could retype that in a less retarded way, we're golden.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll definitely give it a try once I'm free. I let you know what happens.

EDIT: I had a quick "free time" so I gave it a try(it was halftime of the nba finals, go lakers!!). I think I solved it. The problem was in the color map, not enough edge padding. Thanks for the help guys. Really nice to be part of this community. Thanks again!!
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    If I have two objects in marmoset (I dunno how, I just imported a sample mesh to marmoset - some woman, and some invoker with a big book).
    How can I load maps for second object? A woman doesn`t have texture for face and invoker doesn`t have texture for piedestal.

Second question (a n00b one), how to put an alpha map to marmoset?
  • AfterbanG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marmoset looks awesome! Quick question (couldn't find an answer with "search this thread" tool), is there anyway I can export from Maya 2009 64-bit? If not, is it still possible to rig a mesh in Maya, then export the OBJ and still render in Marmoset? Also, is OBJ functioning fairly properly at this point in time?

Thanks in advance, I don't have enough time to skim through the ENTIRE thread for answers myself =P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are exporters for maya 7, 8 and 2008(9), only 32 bit. If you want animation you need to use one of those versions. You can easily just rig up your mesh in maya, and export a single frame pose as an obj, however.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pussik wrote: »
    If I have two objects in marmoset (I dunno how, I just imported a sample mesh to marmoset - some woman, and some invoker with a big book).
    How can I load maps for second object? A woman doesn`t have texture for face and invoker doesn`t have texture for piedestal.

Second question (a n00b one), how to put an alpha map to marmoset?

Most of this should be covered in the tutorial.txt
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I am having a problem where my textures are not saving to the material or rendering. I open my mesh add a new material, add my texture, then apply the material...and nothing. When I switch to one of the materials that came with the engine they load fine. When I go back to the material that I created the textures are gone. I have my materials textures and object all in the same file. Any hints?

wtf.jpg
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured it out from another post. I had to remove the alpha channel for the tga. why you have to do that I dont know but ok
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    no, that's because your .mat, and probably your tgas are not located in your marmoset/base folder but in a folder on your desktop, put them in your marmoset/base folder and that will work properly
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they dont need to be in that folder...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, they do. Read the tutorial.txt They need to be nested inside BASE, so base/bullet/shell_mat.mat with all of your textures in the same spot.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do see where is says that it has to be nested within the toolbag folder in the tutorial.txt, but I have them in a folder that is not nested in the toolbag folder and it works just fine. If I have any other problems with it, then I will move them.

lsdfa.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First fix what is obviously broken(file paths) and then see if you still have a problem. We're not telling you to do so just to be funny, its because it is required by the engine to work correctly. It does not support absolute paths, it needs to be relative ie: nested inside of base.

Materials will not save correctly with an incorrect path, so even if they show up fine when you first load them, you're going to have problems.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok will do thanks!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I'm probably being quite thick, but can someone explain to me how to add multiple objects and mats into the scene? Please. :)

or if thats even possible..
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    ChrisPerr: Hey, this has been covered several times, but I realize the thread is getting long so...
    -You export all your objects as a single .obj file. Then import it and you will have all your separate objects in the same scene.
    -For Multiple materials, just hit the "new mat" button and assign it to the appropriate object.

Good Luck.
  • EmJaeR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmJaeR polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys, so I'm doing an ice demon thing and i was wondering if there is a shader or a way to get the good refraction relflection and distortion of ice in marmoset i got one working in maya im just wondering if thers a way in marmoset. Thanks
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I think if you just jack up the specular intensity and fresenel exponent (with a decent spec map of course) you could get really nice results for ice. I'm sure it can be done in Marmoset.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the ice distortion thing I think you'd be better served looking at unreal.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Hi all !

I've a little problem with the engine.
    When I load my obj, some spots seem faceted. When I import my obj in 3ds max all is fine but in the marmoset some problems appear.

marmosetpb.jpg

It looks ok with an Object space normal but with a tangent space one I can definitely see the edges.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check .obj options, make sure normals and uvs are on, and compression is off.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Here are my export options :

parameters.jpg

And the result in XNormal :

xnnopb.jpg

And the options were good on the previous image because as you can see, the imported obj in 3dsmax is great.

Here is the .obj file if you want to try : http://gaetm.free.fr/3d/2009/Sniper/Scope.obj
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Gosss: Have you tried to apply textures yet? The mesh usually looks weird untill you do.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    As I say : "It looks ok with an Object space normal but with a tangent space one I can definitely see the edges."

Here is the result with tangent space and object space. Some edges are still visible with the tangent space (This appears in many other spot on the model).

tvso.jpg

The two normals are baked with the same Hi and Low Res.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    sometimes i have to tick on the optimizations in the export to have it work in marmorset, maybe you cantry this :)
    but on the other hand, if it works with object space, why not use object space?
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks a lot Neox, it was that. I just ticked normals in the optimisation options and all is ok now ;)
    Why I want to use tangent space is really simple. All the game engines I know use that type of normals and all the models (99.5% ;)) you find in games use tangent space.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, turning ON optimize fixed the issue? Really....
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    yep it does, SOMETIMES i dont know why some objects work and some not
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Wait, turning ON optimize fixed the issue? Really....

Yup, I just tick the normals optimisation (I let vertex and texture-coord unticked) and my problem disappears.
  • Acid_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but when I try to launch marmoset it comes up with this error:

Blah Blah Directory of Marmo
    This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Which I have done so but it still comes up with the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Is there a way to make the app to reload ALL the textures at once ? Its a wonderful program but clicking R everytime i update a tex is not optimal.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, it was like that in a much earlier build, and it was the default behaivor to load compressed textures as well, which was really a huge pain in the ass. I also think it was reloading ALL of the textures too, ui, skybox, etc. So they added in the buttons, which was a better solution at the time, and its stayed that way since.
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    Hello and thank you for such an awesome tool!

I have only one complaint: Please add the function to add even just 1 more light into the scene. For complex props like the one I'm about to show, a single light just isn't enough to show it off in its full glory. This isn't a demand, merely a recommendation :P.

ShipMarm2.jpg

This really will be what I use from now on, atleast on simpler props!

Edit: looks like I could up the spec on the hull just a hair, but great results for how little time it takes to set up!
  • wailingmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    had to fall in with the rest of the, erm...folks. :D

nice tool! Was much less painful to monkey with than expected.

thank you for sharing it! :)

baaahaaa-marmoset.jpg
This discussion has been closed.