Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I had the same issue on my bass. The solution was indeed to detach the fin polygons and reattach them once more, but this was using Silo so who knows what went on there. Vertex numbers or something.

edit: coldkodiak, that comic is incredible
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Coldkodiak, this comic should be passed to all artists AND programmers alike!! Loving this
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    lol, as long as people understand I'm happy. When this concept was first explained to me I had to decipher the programmers explanation from a long paragraph of techno jargon. Hopefully this helps the artists who think visually like me.
  • logan55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi there can we render a turn table in this package
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    coldkodiak wrote: »
    lol, as long as people understand I'm happy. When this concept was first explained to me I had to decipher the programmers explanation from a long paragraph of techno jargon. Hopefully this helps the artists who think visually like me.

Haha I remember when a programmer (also a student) tried to explain this to me when I was at university. It makes a hell of a lot more sense in comic form. Maybe physics and maths should be explained the same way in school >_>
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I just wanna say thanks to the guys at 8monkey studios for this!
    This is like a magic app to pimp your models, It's great, it works great, and It's really easy to use!

Here's a very quick test I did with the Aliens APC i modeled for the SFAM compo.

eb5zdz.jpg

2e3mvpi.jpg

man, I could play with the post effects all day! :poly124:

is there any way to rotate the sky map?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hold down shift + drag mouse will rotate the skybox. also holy smoothing errors batman!
  • Quillisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coldkodiak: Thank you! That has indeed cleared so much up for me.

I personally think that comic should have its own thread :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    hold down shift + drag mouse will rotate the skybox. also holy smoothing errors batman!

Thanks man! :)

Yeah, I'm aware the smoothing groups are all mess up in this vehicle, didn't had the time to fix it back when I made it, and I don't care to fix it now! :) It was just to test the viewer anways! :) good stuff
  • Quillisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got the alpha working correctly. It turned out I was doing something wrong in the export.

Earthquake: I can see clearly now the problem you described about placing one alpha behind another. I also found that the mesh you want to have dislpaly as alpha does not have to be the last edited, only the order the objects are listed in the outliner has a direct effect on them.

If I had my group like this:
    --grp_car
    ----body
    ----front_window
    ----back_window

viewing the car from the back would display the interior and front window correctly.
    viewing the car from the front however would display only the interior and not the back window. I tried this with several different orders and each only displayed what was above it in the list.
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think i have an issue here..

- i,ve imported my blahblah.obj and have mat applied on it. nothing shows up on the viewport. i,ve started to think maybe it's my VGA or sumthin.

- i saved my "invisible" mesh to blahblah.mesh. open it again. and it's magically shows up! how strange~ =P

also. somehow i can't use windowed mode. my mouse pointer pointing at wrong. err.. point. for example. if i click on "render" tab, it opens sky menu
    switch it to fullscreen mode ( still same resolution ) problem solved.
    and i heard it's not recomended for using fullscreen mode. yet i,m here to recomend it!
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    I demand my tutorials all in comic style from now on!
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    binopittan wrote: »
    i think i have an issue here..

- i,ve imported my blahblah.obj and have mat applied on it. nothing shows up on the viewport. i,ve started to think maybe it's my VGA or sumthin.

- i saved my "invisible" mesh to blahblah.mesh. open it again. and it's magically shows up! how strange~ =P

also. somehow i can't use windowed mode. my mouse pointer pointing at wrong. err.. point. for example. if i click on "render" tab, it opens sky menu
    switch it to fullscreen mode ( still same resolution ) problem solved.
    and i heard it's not recomended for using fullscreen mode. yet i,m here to recomend it!

Are you sure your initial mesh isn't visible and not just very large? Have you zoomed way around and looked around a bit?

As for the second issue, maybe the .ini file is setting the window to be a larger size than your screen resolution? Try making the window smaller in the ini and see what happens.
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if my mesh just too large/small. center mesh button will solve my problem. but unfortunately it's not.

2nd issue. i,ve tried experimented with screen res before ( even before i came up with fullscreen solution ) tried low resolution 800x600. mouse pointed right. but text are so blurry that i can't read them. tried higher res but it,s even worse, half my screen are blank!( i,ve already consider to give up at this point. frustating.. )
    switch to regular resolution ( which is 1024 x 768 ) + fullscreen = works fine ( at least for me )
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    binopittan wrote: »
    if my mesh just too large/small. center mesh button will solve my problem. but unfortunately it's not.
    To be honest center mesh doesn't work for me on huge meshes, but if I use the scale slider it shows up around 0.1/0.0. Clicking center mesh after that obliterates it, so don't click it.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just tested this to make sure by bringing in a large mesh that had an off-center pivot. Hitting center mesh didn't bring it up immediately in toolbag, but I zoomed and moved around and eventually found it. I then closed an re-opened toolbag and re-imported the obj (no longer visible/centered) and saved the .mesh. Opening that it was centered.

So it's still just a case of toolbag finding and centering the object better when it's been saved as a mesh, but it's definitely visible (somewhere at least) when you pull in the obj.

Second issue: the text rendering issues make me think a possible video card issue? This one is probably beyond me, I'll leave it to the experts.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I don't know if this was threaded yet, but is it possible to import two meshes in marmoset with two different texture maps for each one? Is that an option?
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. Export both in the same obj, then make two materials and apply one material to each.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    glib wrote: »
    Yes. Export both in the same obj, then make two materials and apply one material to each.

Ah.. thanks a lot man.
  • logan55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys i am trying to figure out to use this engine i am not able to create new material
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    logan55 wrote: »
    Hello guys i am trying to figure out to use this engine i am not able to create new material

Read the tutorial.txt, otherwise, give some more info on your problem.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glib wrote: »
    I just tested this to make sure by bringing in a large mesh that had an off-center pivot. Hitting center mesh didn't bring it up immediately in toolbag, but I zoomed and moved around and eventually found it. I then closed an re-opened toolbag and re-imported the obj (no longer visible/centered) and saved the .mesh. Opening that it was centered.

So it's still just a case of toolbag finding and centering the object better when it's been saved as a mesh, but it's definitely visible (somewhere at least) when you pull in the obj.

Second issue: the text rendering issues make me think a possible video card issue? This one is probably beyond me, I'll leave it to the experts.

I've noticed the OBJ center bug as well, quick fix seems as you said, to just save as .mesh and load it back up.

As for the video problems, try setting the resolution to 100 pixels less both width and height than your resolution(so i use 1680x1050, i would set it to 1580x950) See if that fixes your issues. If not, it is probabbly some weird video driver issues, you may have an unsuported card, etc.
  • logan55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    after loading the mesh when I click to create new material it is not doing any thing
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    read the tutorial, i think there is a workaround there for the issue you're having.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alphasorting.jpg

If you have further problems, make sure your objects are actually inheriting their pivots. I had to place some thing under a null objects to get it working properly.

jeff: pivots eh?
    jeff: i dont think marmoset sorts alpha using pivots
    EarthQuake: yeah i dont either
    jeffrussell: marmoset alpha is fucked up, you can quote me on that :P
    EarthQuake: but i have no idea
    jeff: it should be a mtl sort, not based on geometry
    jeff: although its possible andres didnt call the sort in toolbag
    jeff: in which case, random shit lol
    EarthQuake: getting it to show up last in the mat list is the only way i've ever gotten it to work
    jeff: yea which means then in toolbag it must not be sorting
    jeff: so for toolbag concerns, thats probably the way to go for right now
    jeff: adding the sorting back in wouldnt be hard tho i dont think, we could do it in a new release
    jeff: also wtf is that model, the one with the pink bg
    jeff: its like a monster with a car bumper on its head

So, looks like even if you were to set up everything correctly as CK outlined, it probabbly wouldn't work. But thanks for taking the time to explain all of that dude, its very informative.
  • logan55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello there can any body tell how to load a alpha map in this engine
  • logan55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello there can any body tell how to load alpha maps and can we do a turntable in here and how to adjust the lighting.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    EQ> well then by some voodoo magic it worked for me, but if your engine doesn't sort based on pivots, then what?

At least Alpha test works lol.
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    logan55- i think you should read the whole thread and the tutorial.txt. All of your questions have been answered already.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ> well then by some voodoo magic it worked for me, but if your engine doesn't sort based on pivots, then what?

At least Alpha test works lol.

By virtue of making the chunk the last in the list, you're simply forcing it to draw last, which tends to work out. As far as alphatest, i dont think alphatest needs any sorting to work, i could be wrong here, but that is why its so cheap.
  • Arkhange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everybody !
    This soft seems to be really cool, but after installation (and read on this topic many solutions), I can't make it work at all...

My cursor don't answer when I click on any button on the first interface and I can't found any file named "toolUser.cfg" in "base/interface" like describe in the tutorial T_T (and after launch a quick search, no result...)

I've got WindowsVista, maybe it could come from this ?!
    Please I want test this soft before the end of the comp' to test new render and effects T_T
    Someone can help me ?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkhange wrote: »
    Hi everybody !
    This soft seems to be really cool, but after installation (and read on this topic many solutions), I can't make it work at all...

My cursor don't answer when I click on any button on the first interface and I can't found any file named "toolUser.cfg" in "base/interface" like describe in the tutorial T_T (and after launch a quick search, no result...)

I've got WindowsVista, maybe it could come from this ?!
    Please I want test this soft before the end of the comp' to test new render and effects T_T
    Someone can help me ?

First off what video card are you using?

Now, i think some other people may have had the same issue with not being able to find the tooluser file, maybe look through the thread and see if you can find the solution?
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Hello,

Thanks this renderer sounds great.

What's cool :

-PostEffects
    -Skybox

What's not :

-Shaders are too generalistics.
    -That will be cool if you will be able to store 3 masks into an RGB map .(R=DetailNmapMasK1, G=DetailNmapMask2, B=ReflectionMask, A=EmissiveMask).
    -I'd like to locate my detail map with a mask and get 2 differents Detail Nmap on the same objects.
    -That will be better and faster (so stronger) to type value via Keyboard.
    -Will it be possible to create shader node based ?

Thanks a lot i was waiting for a true real time renderer
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    looks very nice, sad, that i have "memory can't read" error while starting it.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry if its been answered. i dont have time to read 20 pages

but, will there be support for gloss maps in the future? or will it remain a constant?

Also i finally got it to work! yay. spec needs work, but it looks better than anything i got out of unreal, thats for sure.

thanks for the great program.

render_Electricchair01.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Nice and smart texturing you got going on there! :)
  • quyeno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quyeno polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake - Just wondering if there are any plans to update mamoset in the future? The tool rocks but supporting multiple objects would be cool (even there is a workaround). Better alpha support, Emmisive shader support or even the ability to import your own realtime shaders?

Anyhow, keep up the good work.

cheers
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice chair, looks Bioshock to me for some reason.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quyeno wrote: »
    supporting multiple objects would be cool

As said before: just export multiple objects in the same obj.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Nice chair, looks Bioshock to me for some reason.

I agree yeah, maybe because of the polished / shiny look, wet even.
  • Quillisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would also like to see continued support for this program.

Its so useful I think it would be a shame for it to be a one off and left were it is.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys. After looking around on this thread I did not see any solutions to some of the vista problems.

My situation is that the program is just unresponsive to any of my commands. At the main menu, its super slow, and only by clicking on particle editor can I get into the material editor. In the Material editor, none of the user controls work, and half of the interface is missing. hmmm.
    Iam trying this on a duel core vista, 6bg ram, w/ nvida card.
    Ive reinstalled, did not work though. Any ideas would be brilliant. zThanks a bunch!
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    Support costs time. This is a production tool, so as it already serves that purpose, what would the incentive for already busy coders be to pump more time into it? They are probably very busy atm finishing the game. I'd think that once the game is out, they will overhaul some of their tools for the next game. Which is when updates might happen.

understand the situation and be patient.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo wrote: »
    Hey guys. After looking around on this thread I did not see any solutions to some of the vista problems.

My situation is that the program is just unresponsive to any of my commands. At the main menu, its super slow, and only by clicking on particle editor can I get into the material editor. In the Material editor, none of the user controls work, and half of the interface is missing. hmmm.
    Iam trying this on a duel core vista, 6bg ram, w/ nvida card.
    Ive reinstalled, did not work though. Any ideas would be brilliant. zThanks a bunch!

Read through the readme.txt and make sure your resolution is set up correctly, make sure you have the latest video drivers as well. Which nvidia card do you have?
  • Quillisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Support costs time. This is a production tool, so as it already serves that purpose, what would the incentive for already busy coders be to pump more time into it? They are probably very busy atm finishing the game. I'd think that once the game is out, they will overhaul some of their tools for the next game. Which is when updates might happen.

understand the situation and be patient.

I think you misunderstood some of the posts. I do not believe anyone was rushing for an update. I am also sure most people do infact understand the situation and are fairly patient. The incentive for the coders to update this tool is the reward of knowing their product has helped so many people. I do not recall anyone saying this should come above anything and everything else, but most people enjoy helping others.

My post was intended to show my gratitude for the program. Showing an interest in updating a tool is a good thing. It shows people are using it and want to use it more. If no one voiced themselves, then how would the developers know how their tool is being used.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    hm. All drivers are set up. Iam running a vista 64bit, w/an nvidia 8800 gts. Funny how this was working so groovy before I reformatted and switched to vista. lol. I'll figure it out. :) perhaps i can find an update for my video card.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It may be some issue with Vista 64, i know its been used on XP 32/64, and vista 32, but not sure about vista 64. That video card should be great for it, so really unless its a video driver issue i cant tell you why it wouldn't be working.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quillisia wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood some of the posts. I do not believe anyone was rushing for an update. I am also sure most people do infact understand the situation and are fairly patient. The incentive for the coders to update this tool is the reward of knowing their product has helped so many people. I do not recall anyone saying this should come above anything and everything else, but most people enjoy helping others.

My post was intended to show my gratitude for the program. Showing an interest in updating a tool is a good thing. It shows people are using it and want to use it more. If no one voiced themselves, then how would the developers know how their tool is being used.

CB was just trying to show the perspective from a developer/programer. Which he did a very good job, he wasn't trying to insult anyone or make it seem like your interest in unreasonable. =)

I'm not actually working at 8ML anymore, so i'm not entirely sure what the plans are for updates. I'll try and get one of the guys from 8ml to make a post here soon.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    It may be some issue with Vista 64, i know its been used on XP 32/64, and vista 32, but not sure about vista 64. That video card should be great for it, so really unless its a video driver issue i cant tell you why it wouldn't be working.

I'll chime in to say it's worked perfectly for me on Vista 64, dual core, 4gb ram, initially an nvidia 7950 GX2, and now a GTS 250. No issues. Latest nvidia drivers.
This discussion has been closed.