Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am still having issues...for some reason, now when I try to apply a material to a mesh, toolbag just crashes with no error message in the dialogue window, just a wondows "this program has had to close" message. I copes fone with inported objs, but not .mesh files generated from the same obj rigged up in Maya. I note that when i look a tthe UV layout of the triangulated mesh that stooge creates, it has ignored seams on the original quad UV layout and therefore has lots of crossed UVs from linking faces together that lie at a seam. I would imagine this uv mashup is what causes the crash, as it's when a mat is applied that the crash happens. Why is it mucking up the UVs, and can I preserve my layout seams? I can post grabs of the before and after uv layout map if this would help!

I just want to get a turntable :(

~P~
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there away to show the wireframe? texture and wire?

as for a turntable, could you plugin a controller and then screencap using fraps while you spin the model round?
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah- I wish I'd thought of the controller idea...but I finially figured out how to get the thing working. Part of the problem seems to have been that at seom point in the model creation, a single face got UV'd across a seam and this was messinhg the triangulation up. However, and for anyone who has a problem, here is EXACTLY what worked:

-in Maya, combine meshes and rename them into what will be the chunks for each mat in marmoset (e.g. body, head, eyes, weapon)

- add a single bone running vertically through the object where you want the rotation to be (usually the centre i guess!).

- smooth bind the meshes to the bone. For me, binding all at once seemed to produce the same result as doing each piece individually, but as some have had issues, go with a chunk at a time. Note that rigid binding crashed maya on (failed) export! Smooth bind only!

- animate the bone. For me, marnoset only seems to like a single keyframe tween- e.g. a keyframe at 1 and another at 24. When I added intervening keyframes, it would only export the animation up to the first keyframe it encountered. There may be a setting I'm missing but this is fine for turntable so I'm not desperately worried right now. When I want a wlk cycle things may change! You may need to adjust the animation tangent for a smooth animation. I dunno. Sometimes I do, others not.

- call stooge gui in the MEL window by typing stooge. Export with the the boxes ticked for wrtie tangents/bit-tangents, plus the ones for writing the mesh, rig and the skeleton. Choose a destination and export.

- stooge will close. Call it again and write the anim file. For some reason, I got a crash if the anim file had the same name as the skel and rig and mesh files so choose anew name.

- I put all the files, plus texture tga files in the toolbag folder as per the marmoset instructions.

- open marmoset and load mesh. Then find skeleton. Then load animation. Then add textures one by one, clicking the "vertex skinning" box.

- done! Muck about with other settings as much as you like :)

Apologies to those who already had this figured out but I really stuggled so hopefully this will help any other recent convert to the wonder of marmoset. :)

~P~

PS I should also say that it looked flippin awesome when I got it working, but I had to leave for work immediately afterwards. I'll be grabbing it with fraps later :)
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks very cool. I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if it was mentioned arlready, but it would be cool to have LWO import.
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
    I faced this problem on my test character, under the nose area, the shining polys, wonder why this happens? On the right side is a screenshot from 3dsMax viewport.
    ask.jpg
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw, the first time I tried this I loaded an OBJ and it just crashed. I did have it in a relative path. I don't think I have a way to export as .mesh.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nas wrote: »
    Does any one have problem with chunks window when you open mesh what have too many chunks? The names what don`t fit in window goes ower material window, buttons an so on. Does Toolbag support vertical scroll bar in "chunks" and "material" windows?

Yeah this is a known issue, no scroll is bad. What you can do is manually edit the .rig file after you save your mesh and link up the proper chunks. If you dont actually need multiple materials its best to just combine the chunks in your app of choice before exporting.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I faced this problem on my test character, under the nose area, the shining polys, wonder why this happens? On the right side is a screenshot from 3dsMax viewport.
    ask.jpg

This is one of two things, most likely:

1. Normals are not exported correctly, make sure to check export options for OBJ and enable normals

2. You have some verts in the uvs mistakenly welded together. If you have 2 verts in different positions 3d space, but welded together in UV space you will get errors as it cant figure out the tangent space correctly(will apear sort of... unlit, but the diffuse will still show up).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw, the first time I tried this I loaded an OBJ and it just crashed. I did have it in a relative path. I don't think I have a way to export as .mesh.

Crashing on OBJ import is probably a sign of bad uvs. Make sure if you have multiple uv sets, that the correct set is being exported(obj only supports 1 uv set).
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh that's the problem, I have 2 sets. I guess it won't work for this model then. I'll have to try it when I have something else. Thanks.
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake, thank you my friend for your help! You were 100% right about "You have some verts in the uvs mistakenly welded together"
    there was two verts on each side overlaping each other.
    head_02.jpg
  • Nas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nas
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yeah this is a known issue, no scroll is bad. What you can do is manually edit the .rig file after you save your mesh and link up the proper chunks. If you dont actually need multiple materials its best to just combine the chunks in your app of choice before exporting.

Thanks a lot. Editing .rig file solve the problem.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    sorry if this has been asked before, i had a little dig through the thread but couldn't find an answer, sorry again if i missed it.

but if i a separate texture for the head of my character, one for the body, one for the eyes, and one for the hair (like this because made to L4D specs for a mod), how do i set up the material?, do i create a separate material for each and can i then apply them to a different material ID? is this even possible at the moment?
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I assume that means you have more than one UV map. It was just pointed out to me that Marmoset only accepts one UV map.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all the UVs are in channel 1, 0-1 UV space, but have different material IDs.

i'll just put it into Unreal for now, would be nice in the future to have material IDs for Marmoset
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Hi guys, i have serached the thread and found some interesting answers to a few of t he display probalems ive been having - so great to have all this knowledge here - i wanted to ask though, with regards to how the chunks are imported, i have the object list in max upon export but the ordering does not match the order when imported into marmoset - a big problem when i want to use opacity ( and given that it does work best when the opacity using chunk needs to be last!

Has anyone come up with a sure fire way to get the ordering correct between max and marmoset ? Im using max 2008 if that helps.

thanks for all the help and the insane toobag!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry if this has been asked before, i had a little dig through the thread but couldn't find an answer, sorry again if i missed it.

but if i a separate texture for the head of my character, one for the body, one for the eyes, and one for the hair (like this because made to L4D specs for a mod), how do i set up the material?, do i create a separate material for each and can i then apply them to a different material ID? is this even possible at the moment?

As long as each of the different materials are split into separate "chucks" or "objects" when you export from your 3d app of choice, you should get each of them in the mesh list when you load it up, then you create a material for each texture and apply them to the correct chunks.
    all the UVs are in channel 1, 0-1 UV space, but have different material IDs.

i'll just put it into Unreal for now, would be nice in the future to have material IDs for Marmoset

Just make sure you split each mat ID into its own object, and it should work fine.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I assume that means you have more than one UV map. It was just pointed out to me that Marmoset only accepts one UV map.

You can load as many materials/mesh chunks as you want, essentially you could have 800 chunks, but as long as each of these chunks has only 1 UV map, it will load fine.

Also marmoset supports 2 uv channels(2nd uv channel for lightmap) but OBJs do NOT support more than 2 uv channels. So you need to export directly from maya if you want to use 2 uvs.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Hi guys, i have serached the thread and found some interesting answers to a few of t he display probalems ive been having - so great to have all this knowledge here - i wanted to ask though, with regards to how the chunks are imported, i have the object list in max upon export but the ordering does not match the order when imported into marmoset - a big problem when i want to use opacity ( and given that it does work best when the opacity using chunk needs to be last!

Has anyone come up with a sure fire way to get the ordering correct between max and marmoset ? Im using max 2008 if that helps.

thanks for all the help and the insane toobag!

Sorry i haven't tried in max, but i know in maya it tends to be the last mesh edited/created that will export last. You could try something like exporting your mesh, deleting it from your scene, and re-importing it back again, then export everything and see if it works.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi EarthQuake, thanks for the super fast response!

Thats exactly what ive been trying, and for the most part it does work, except i have 3 chunks - Body, Sunnies, Hair. No matter which way i import these into a fresh scene , the ordering doesnt match the ordering in max HAHA! Its driving me nuts because I think ill get lucky at some point :P :P

No problem man ill battle on and see if i cant solve it! Thanks again for the super fast response!
  • xerious3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great thread! Great contribution. EQ you are the man to offer such extensive help man, much appreciated. Keep on rockin.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emma_Frost_WIP_25_by_HyperDivine.jpg This is what i ended up with in case anyone was wondering - I managed to get the alphas sorting in a semi decent fashion , The laces, sunnies and hair, i ended up needing to combine all of those pieces into one chunk and only work with 2. It should be interesting when it comes time to make the sunnys really glossy compared with the other pieces......
  • philnolan3d
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh.

Wait I don't see any sunglasses.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    As long as each of the different materials are split into separate "chucks" or "objects" when you export from your 3d app of choice, you should get each of them in the mesh list when you load it up, then you create a material for each texture and apply them to the correct chunks.

Just make sure you split each mat ID into its own object, and it should work fine.

thank you earthquake. i'll give it a go
  • fluxist8070
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fluxist8070 polycounter lvl 10
    Is there an exporter for Maya 2009? I install the 09 plugin and I get this...
    // Error: Plug-in, "stoogeExport_maya90" was compiled against too old a version of the Maya API and is thus incompatible with the current Maya version. (stoogeExport_maya90)
    I am on a PC.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maya 2008 is actually "Maya 9.0" which is what the plugin is for. Blame autodesk for changing the versioning =) There are supported plugins for:
    Maya7 = 7.0
    Maya8 = 8.0
    Maya2008 = 9.0

maya2009 is 10.0 and not supported
  • fluxist8070
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fluxist8070 polycounter lvl 10
    This viewer is really great! Alot of FUN to work with. Thanks for making this available.
    marmosetiest.jpg
  • hollaAtMe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any word on when there will be a plug-in available for Maya 2009? Or if there will ever be?
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HaloAnimator polycounter lvl 18
    Here is my contribution to this thread... a buddy of mine told me about Marmoset and I love what the results. I only wish that i could get the normal map just as seamless...

3840087524_b634fcc8ab_o.jpg

3839298977_a31ddc1419_o.jpg

Now, i wonder if this plugin would be awesome for XSI. This is awesome.
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's up with his arm? Try 3D Coat for seamless normal map painting.
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I baked his normals in Zbrush and everything was seamless there...and when rendered in XSI, everything was seamless...it is very weird behaviour. But i love the marmoset renderer...

EDIT: It looks like i will have to bake the normals again
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And on further investigation, the seams in the arms disappear when i switch on Obj Space Normal Mapping. I am using tangent space but i don't know what others are using to bake their normals
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do not use object space unless you have an object space map!
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey EQ, I know about that... :) But even if I try to make the maps as seamless as possible, the normal map will still have seams in it when used in Marmoset... is there a way around this without me painting out the seams
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it could be something like the obj exporter unwelding uvs on uv boarders, which would give seams, look into that?

It may just be the app expecting something totally different than what zbrush bakes, you could try a quick test bake in XN and see if its any better.

Also make sure you have your green channel flipped correctly(maya style)
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey EQ, I am using XSI and i did this with older models and everything looked clean... it may have been my ZMapper settings... I could try leaving everything as its default and bake it from there
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, i am still dealing with the seams issue... I had to use a preset to get the model baked properly, which messed up my MR version of the normal map. At least now I know what settings to use when I am using normal maps.

very kick ass tool i will say again. Some of the models i have put into my work look like FNR4 models :)
  • Arkhange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys !

I've made this render with Marmo and it's really cool ^^, but I can't have nice cast shadows :s
    Gambit_WIP_18.jpg
    Gambit_WIP_18.jpgGambit_WIP_18.jpg
    Anyone knows how I can make some more hard shadows in Marmoset orhave nice cast shadows (Character has actually no shadows casted on the table so he seems to floating a lil bit), thank you to tell me how biggrin.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like you have shadow casting turned off?

There isnt any way to adjust the shadows, aside from loading a different sky, or creating a new sky, since the shadows are tied to the sky content itself and not adjustable.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    EQ, forgive me if been asked, but is the tangent space direction of the normal maps hard wired? Or is there a file I can change? Mine are -x -y +z Also, if you choose a dds, will it assume the rgb being the nm and ignore the alpha, or if it sees an alpha, assume the nm is a dxt-5nm (the one where I forget which channel is stored in alpha versus its normal since less compression artifacts).

Secondly, when choosing a specular, if I choose a dds, will it look automatically at the alpha for it?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tangent direction is hard wired, just flip your green channel in PS

There is no DDS suport, only TGA. AFIAK
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the reply. So to confirm. Marmoset uses. -x +y +z ?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it uses... maya standard... not max standard, i dont know the + or - stuff offhand.
  • goast666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as I can tell marmoset uses
    +x-y+z
  • goast666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I've been digging through the forum and I've done 10 or so searches for variations of the word render and resolution...render brings up a ton of posts saying..."look what I rendered", and resolution is everyone asking how to change the resolution of the viewer.

I want to know how I change the resolution of the actual renders...F12 I think. I know I need to ~ and put in something...but I don't know the command. Anyone happen to know off hand?
  • Arkhange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks EarthQuake for the answer, but I don't understand, I have the cast shadows turned on from start but no shadows appears :s
    I try the different sky (Sunny, shaddy, stormy etc...) but I see no difference T_T
    I also play with shadow distance in the render window but nothing change
    I missed something or what ?
  • Arkhange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I found why it doesn't work fine :D
    The cast shadows don't work with a too high Alpha Threhold setting (superior to zero) in the material editor : so if you want shadows don't use alpha :s
    Hourray !
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that is kind of weak...but hey, i love it
This discussion has been closed.