Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything works just awesome, I'm very happy with marmoset, thanks alot guys.
    Though got small problem here, shadows behave weird on some surfaces of my model.
    Is there any quick way to tweak shadows or fix it somehow? Re-baking normals is not an option :(

Those problem parts are double sided polygons, copied and inverted face normals.

shadows.jpg

sorry if this was discussed before

ok here's more info about this problem, I've ran some tests, whole issue based around backface culling and alphas. Question is, how do I get proper shading using alphas and doublesided faces?

marmosettests1.jpg
    marmosettests2.jpg

Sorry most of these are known issues that do not really have an easy fix.

You could try separating slightly the double sided faces(also do not disable culling, manually duplicate and flip the geometry). This might help a little, but not sure.

You could also try turning off casting/receiving shadows on just the chunks that use alpha test as well.

In general the shadows have some artifacts, a few things you can to is like noted about, try increasing the shadow resolution, try making your mesh smaller, or try playing with the shadow distance settings. Also the skin shader tends to have totally fucked up shadows, which there isnt any fix for.

[edit] Yeah looks like you're using nocull instead of duplicating manually, so try that, it may fix the problem(or atleast make it a little better). Also it should be lit correctly if you manually flip, because with nocull you'll get the backside lit the same as the front side.

Also, are you using the skin shader on the entire mesh? The skin shader tends to have some shadow issues that the standard shader does not, so maybe try playing with what sort of results you can get using the standard shader(or use the a separate chunk for the head, with the skin shader, and everything else standard). The skin shader/shadow problem is one of the worst things to deal with, sorry.

Awesome mesh btw, i saw this over on cgtalk.ru. Looks like one of the strongest entries from any forum that i've seen so far, really clean modeling and great bake.
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    anybody.. help me

what is happen...
    As shown in above image, the modelling files crash when I open mesh(OBJ) in Marmmoset

sorry, i'm bad english..

(exported max 2009_guruexport)

screenshot1c.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    looks like marmoset had sex with zbrush :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi wrote: »
    anybody.. help me

what is happen...
    As shown in above image, the modelling files crash when I open mesh(OBJ) in Marmmoset

sorry, i'm bad english..

(exported max 2009_guruexport)

screenshot1c.jpg

Make sure to check your obj export settings, UVS, Normals on, compression OFF.
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    EarthQuake // oh~ Thanks T.t
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Great looking renderer. Thanks 8monkey guys. :-)
    HDR lighting just makes it look so much better.

I had a question on model size...how big is too big? Is there a recommendation? I work in just standard max units. As it stands right now I have to crank the shadows all the way to the max 1200 value in marmoset to remotely start seeing some shadows...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no idea how max units translates, but you can click on the "scale reference" and that should give you a good idea. Just scale your character/whatever down to a reasonable size compared that ref(you may have to zoom way inside your mesh to see it, its like a sprite).
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    sorry to spam polycounters with my question but I thought this may be the right place to ask this

heres xnormal
    rylec_low5.jpg

I tried marmoset and only get a pink model until I load an environment shader and then it gives me these wierd smoothing groups/normals

rylec_low6.jpg

and my textures load as a mess of stripes.

rylec_low7.jpg

please could someone help me with this?
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    try to open your tgas with another program, like XNview or acdsee and resave them.
    I guess you used CS3...may be the cause.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    remove the white alphas from the TGAs
    :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldnt worry abotu the first image, without textures your model will never display correctly.

As for the 2nd, try reasaving TGAS as vahl suggests, and also make sure that the correct UV channel has been exported.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks guys sorry to bother you, your all legends :) I got it to work by baking out tgas from xnormal :D thank you sooo much!
  • Dante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys i have a reall big and probably stupid problem.
    i mirrored quiet a view uv shells. i had to flip those mirrored uv's and turn on mirror u in maya.
    so it can show up propperly the normalmaps same as the diffuse.

now i found out about this crazy awesome program, but as it seems it doesn't like my mirrored uv's

here is a pic:

uvissues.jpg

here are my uv's in maya:

uvsehlls.jpg

and here a render in maya itself:

test7z.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah this isnt really the correct way to mirror uvs for games.

You really just want to have the uvs overlapping, or offset your mirrored uvs 1 unit in UV space(too the left/right) for baking.
  • Dante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow thanks for that super fast respond!!!

hmm i know what you mean, but if i just overlap or move my map by 1 in uv space, i get my normal map really weird... its going inside out then :(

does that mean i have to rebake? thank you sooo much again for that fast respond!!!!
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea if you offset your uvs by 1, then rebake in xnormal your map will come out fine.
  • Dante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow this is wierd... ok i flipped the uvs and they overlap now... in the engine it works perfectly fine, but in maya i have now inside out normalmaps on the mirrored side... i am new to this so i might kinda have some understanding issues here hahaha

thanks again for this awesome engine!!!!

inengine.jpg

the seems are just there cause i didn't cleaned up my maps and still have also no specmap
    but i like it so fare :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using an old version of maya by chance? Maybe this is an old issue that has been fixed in current versions.
  • Dante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no i am using actually maya 2008 32bit version....

i bet i just forgot to check something somewhere... at least its working in the engine and that's important for now, cause Monday is presentation time and my time is running out for debugging and i have to get the textures and the spec to a good standard.

thanks again for the fast help! i really appreciate it!

by any chance i got another question:

if i import multiple objects and if i do it by importing as a obj, it seems the engine doesn't like it if it has multiple uv maps.

how can i make sure to import my model and for example its "base" and their separate textures?

and is it possible to apply multiple textures as well, cause i saw the button add/overlay/multiply. if so how do i do it?!

thanks again!!!
  • Dante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what i mean is, i can only have always 1 mesh chunk... how do i get more mesh chunks?

even if i use the exporter it makes in the folder over 100 chunks, but i just can always load just 1 chunk and not all of them together
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    just select several objects and export as one either obj or mesh and each object will be come a chunk
  • Dante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm than i have a weird error... cause even the mesh shown above, is actually divided in about 30 pieces, so it should be shown in different mesh chunks, but its always shown as 1 mesh chunk
  • Dante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh man i am a noob!!!!

i forgot to have it in the "base" root...

sorry about that!
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the other way to handle multiple obj is by using ref mesh ( on render tab )
    on my dw entry i load my char model. and then load my pedestal as ref mesh.
    thus i can assign different material on them. also i can hide/unhide it with ease.

marmoset is way too kool.
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    cool trick binopittan. I tried that but when I assign my pedestal as a ref mesh, it automatically uses the diffuse from my character on it. Where can you assign a different material for the ref mesh?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to set up the material on the ref mesh first. But really there isnt much reason to do this, just have the meshes you want as separate objects in your app of choice when you export(a quick way to toggle mesh visibility is to drag the alphatest slider to max). You really would not want to rely on the reference mesh for anything, because its harder to actually edit the material of that mesh along with your "real" mesh. That fuction is really just for scale reference, or lining up particles to a mesh, etc.

I think people are confusing meshes being built from multiple chunks, and what the app actually considers an "object".

In maya you would simply select all of your chunks/objects/whatever that you want to share the same material, and go to mesh-> combine. Do the same for any extra materials. Then name this mesh something descriptive so its easy to pick out in the chunk list. When you look at the outliner, all you should see are the names of the chunks that need separate materials(and whatever default maya stuff is in every scene).

In max its just a matter again of combining stuff into objects, "attach" in max i guess. All you should see in the mesh list are the names of the chunks that need separate materials.

If your scene is made up of 9000 little objects, you're going to have problems. But that is the same for any game engine.
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    ah, ty EarthQuake. Works much better for me now.
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys just popping in to see if there's been any news of the next build, guess not huh :P Any chance of an updated release in the near future with user friendly goodies?

While using it this week, and touching on making my own light environments tonight, I'm wishing for better work flow in that area.

It would be very nice to have interactive control on fog and light direction too. Also one-click creation of the environment file would be awesome. I followed the write up from earlier in the thread and it sort of worked, but I don't understand a lot of how it works so can't tweak results easily like controlling light sources...

Also is there a way to make the skybox excluded from the bloom? I have an environment with a very bright sandy ground, and the bloom just explodes on that. So i'm having to choose between models with nice bloom on them but no BG, or models with a BG but then no bloom. :(

Still enjoying the tool despite its current limitations in the meantime. Just aching for it to get better!

ps: I was surprised to see the skin shader's SSS colour is global, from the environment, isntead of tied to individual shaders? What happens if you want object with different SSS colours in the same scene?
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Sorry most of these are known issues that do not really have an easy fix.

You could try separating slightly the double sided faces(also do not disable culling, manually duplicate and flip the geometry). This might help a little, but not sure.

You could also try turning off casting/receiving shadows on just the chunks that use alpha test as well.

In general the shadows have some artifacts, a few things you can to is like noted about, try increasing the shadow resolution, try making your mesh smaller, or try playing with the shadow distance settings. Also the skin shader tends to have totally fucked up shadows, which there isnt any fix for.

[edit] Yeah looks like you're using nocull instead of duplicating manually, so try that, it may fix the problem(or atleast make it a little better). Also it should be lit correctly if you manually flip, because with nocull you'll get the backside lit the same as the front side.

Also, are you using the skin shader on the entire mesh? The skin shader tends to have some shadow issues that the standard shader does not, so maybe try playing with what sort of results you can get using the standard shader(or use the a separate chunk for the head, with the skin shader, and everything else standard). The skin shader/shadow problem is one of the worst things to deal with, sorry.

Awesome mesh btw, i saw this over on cgtalk.ru. Looks like one of the strongest entries from any forum that i've seen so far, really clean modeling and great bake.

BradMyers82 ,EarthQuake many thanks guys, that helped, awesome!
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
    I have some sort of weird scale issue with it, where my mouse and the programs cursor are off.. how do I fix?
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    How to maximalize marmoset window? :) Or change any size of it?

And how to change lightning in marmoset scene?
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Read the tutorial.txt.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh Glib don't be a douche!

Puss, for the window size you need to edit it manually in one of the .CFGs. However it seems that if you do so, some of the UI buttons might not behave properly. But it's worth doing once you've got everything setup.

As for lighting, everything is cubemap-based so you have to mess with the skybox settings in the sky (or is it env?) tab. Then you can tint the overall look using the post effects sliders or load an existing one (metalgear post is kinda cool :P)

Good luck!
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    oh man! i didnt even realize we could load in post effects!
    gotta try that out tonight!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Ha ha, I overlooked the save post effects button too. I have been just manually resetting the settings I like there this whole time. A very handy feature :)
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is an amazing tool, I'm going to use this to present all my stuff! It makes things look twice as good :O

WIP NS2 Railcar Arttest I'm doing for fun.

rtpbx4.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I just wanted to thank everyone from 8monkey again for thier tool during dominance war and thier help, support and inspiration :D cheers
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    I LUUUUB you 8monkeylabs <3

I believe i have gone through the whole thread,so here is my problem:- :D
    it was working all nice and dandy before i downloaded vahls samples. But now, after even deleting the files from the folder, my normals are coming out as if they were doubled...
    here is what i mean,Basically the image on the left is the phongenvironment (which is without normals) and the one in the middle shows with the skin shader and the one on the right is the shit in max. The middle shows what i mean when i say :doubled up normal:
    QUESTION.jpg
    what did i fuck up is pretty much what i am meaning to ask.I havent touched the normals/channels inbetween it working and not working.

I sincerely appologise if this has been addressed already
    Thanks again!
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah what Ged said, thanks again to you guys for releasing this tool, was quite nice to have around for dominance war!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib wrote: »
    I LUUUUB you 8monkeylabs <3

I believe i have gone through the whole thread,so here is my problem:- :D
    it was working all nice and dandy before i downloaded vahls samples. But now, after even deleting the files from the folder, my normals are coming out as if they were doubled...
    here is what i mean,Basically the image on the left is the phongenvironment (which is without normals) and the one in the middle shows with the skin shader and the one on the right is the shit in max. The middle shows what i mean when i say :doubled up normal:
    QUESTION.jpg
    what did i fuck up is pretty much what i am meaning to ask.I havent touched the normals/channels inbetween it working and not working.

I sincerely appologise if this has been addressed already
    Thanks again!

have you loaded the normal map into both the normals, and detail normals slot?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also maybe you Max stuff might have been rendered with the weird default value of 30% bump. That'd make your normals tripled everywhere else :P
  • paprika
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paprika polycounter lvl 14
    first, want to say thanks for sharing such a great tool. i luv it.
    and a question here, why if i disable culling it gets like the lower image?
    Snake_culling.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    ok this is getting frustrating....
    EQ:
    yeah ive done all that, Ive tried flipping the green channel as well.
    pior:
    is there any way to tell that the normals were rendered at 30% ? i remember everything working before though :(

i really need this to work for me guys :( help!

EDIT:-
    Ok so got it working :D
    All i had to do to get it to work was re-exporting it :/
    Marmo-eye candy :D
    screenshot.jpg
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any way to use/import .obj files exported from xsi? It doesnt seem to like the smoothing on the meshes.

tri.jpg

I've turned off geometry approximation in xsi (should basically be like putting everything in SG1 in max). When exporting I tell it to include userNormals, but I still end up with hard edges.

I can import and then export it from max (with normals) to fix it, but max tend to fuck up the mesh.
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I go t the similar effect using blender- and all i had to do was to tick option to export the vertex normal data- so maybe you should look fo somethink like this in XSI export options?
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
    I have something strange with the normals on my model when I have uploaded it into the toolbag.

screenshot6copy.jpg

The left is with object space unchecked with the normals, and the right is object space checked. Can someone clarify the problem for me?
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Been messing around with Marmoset, I found out about inverting the green channel, but I'm not sure if the lighting is looking right...? Vahl's models and EQ's guns looking really cool and I've learnt about the sensitive spec and to use darker diffuse maps. Maybe its something wrong with my model.

1.jpg
  • kupo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is a great engine
    but i have a question
    how can i hide the menu to take a bigger shot
    if someone could answer me...i will really apperciated!!
  • Hatred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hatred polycounter lvl 18
    hit spacebar ;) or use the comand line, somewhere up is a proper line to paste into it
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Is any library with free environments to download, on this forum or somewhere on Internet?
This discussion has been closed.