Home General Discussion

L O S T

Replies

• Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    How awesome would it be if rose and bernard were the ones shooting at them in the canoe?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    They explained claire's baby as she was pregnant before they got to the island, and if you got pregnant off the island you could deliver the child, if you got preggers on the island and you went into labor on the island the baby would die. That explains Claire's baby, but they were giving it shots every now and then after it was born.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Not a bad episode. Kind of a filler (since the story didn't progress), but we got to have a few more things answered. Like confirming that Chang was Miles' father. We got to see the hatch getting built. Faraday made his return... which obviously it must be a Faraday from the future, since he recognized Miles.

I liked the story and Miles having the opportunity to see that his dad DID really love him, despite what his mother told him. I'm sure many people wish they could have an opportunity like his, to go back and get to know one of their parents whom they've never met (or they were too young to remember). I'm curious now if he was born with his gift, or if his dad somehow gave him that give via an experiment, and that's why the mom left. It's interesting to see that he started on the island though.

Oh, and Hurley rewriting Empire Strikes Back with 'some improvements'. And that the 'Ewoks sucked'.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea was filler, but had some good twists and explained a few things.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    “Fury fist.” Hahahaha
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Didn't really enjoy this episode. But it did let us see stuff we needed to see. I enjoyed the Empire Strikes Back scene. And WTF? There is another group now? Dharma v Others v Losties v the shadow of the statue group? Yeah...I didn't really enjoy this episode. It felt like a season 2 episode, but without the foxy Michelle Rodriguez.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    shadow of the statue people could be working for the others, the woman who caught sayid could have been told to make sure he was on the plane if ben failed
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm...they do dislike Widmore, and they know about the statue, but I don't think they are others for some reason. I don't think others are supposed to leave the island much.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I'm wondering if Miles' dad simply has the same ability Miles has already. We can speculate because the body was delivered to Chang (specifically) at the site, he walks away with it...and returns later after some time. (In other news: I'm having a hard time referring to someone else by my own name...it isn't something I'm accustomed to).
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    towards the end of the show I coulda swore candle was going to know older miles was his son. that woulda been crazy.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he used the body test the time travel device, since they were at the orchid (even though they were working on the above ground stuff.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    I think he used the body test the time travel device, since they were at the orchid (even though they were working on the above ground stuff.

No, the body was brought to the original hatch, right? Hurley said so. The one with the big electromagnetic thingy and the dome. Which makes me wonder why they would bring him there; he seems to have died because of a similar phenomenon to the electromagnetic field in the original hatch. What you say makes sense, but unless there was a teleporter in the first hatch too, I don't think thats it. Maybe [MILES] is right, and his dad can talk to dead bodies too.

And why do Renzinski and his crew wear black jump suits while everyone wears khacki.

lol at Sawyer knocking out the security guy. Maybe he'll have to dump that guy with the others to stay undercover for a little while longer?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope. Hurley wanted to take sandwiches to the workers at the Orchid, that's why he hitched the ride. Then after they gave Chang the body, they waited outside. He returned, and they asked 'what about the body?'. Chang responded with 'what body?'. Then he had them drive him to the hatch site.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but Hurley definitely said that that was the original hatch that they were building. Remember the whole section with the numbers getting nailed into the door? Didn't they go to the Orchid first, to pick up the body?
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    1) Miles went to the 'worksite' (but didn't actually see it) to get the body. This is where the accident happened that killed the guy. This is where they are building the hatch.
    2) Miles & Hurley took the body to the Orchid.
    3) They then go back to the 'worksite' (hatch) without the body.

The Orchid is where the time travel/warping off island happens, so it's interesting for Chang to say "What body?" as if maybe he sent it away. Another implication of that statement is that if Chang can talk to dead people too then maybe he doesn't see it as a "corpse" but a normal person (whom you wouldn't refer to as "a body").

Chang also sends away his wife and son which suggests that he gets a head up about the purge. Perhaps if Chang has the same power as Miles and one of the future-losties dies... Chang learns about the time traveling and sends his family off?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I think you guys are reading too much into the 'what body?' comment. maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was just the whole thing where if someone tells you to STFU about something and you bring it up you reply ' what ___?'

example: you have a dead body that you need to get rid of, but you don't want anyone to know you have it, because that would cause trouble. so if someone asks, you just pretend you don't know what they're talking about. so they would say 'What body?' get it?

wow that example totally sounds familiar too..
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And why do Renzinski and his crew wear black jump suits while everyone wears khacki.
    I think its just a separation of work forces, navy blue/black jump suits for the construction crews. Probably different levels of clearance for the two groups.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd have to watch the episode again...but I don't recall them going back to where they picked up the body...I'll have another look.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    I think its just a separation of work forces, navy blue/black jump suits for the construction crews. Probably different levels of clearance for the two groups.
    nah, it's so that miles and hurley look like ghostbusters
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I think you guys are reading too much into the 'what body?' comment. maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was just the whole thing where if someone tells you to STFU about something and you bring it up you reply ' what ___?'

That's how I initially took it. As in, "what are you talking about?". But the body could be gone now with no proof, if he sent it away. Think about it. Before you try it, you'd want to send something through it (thus the bunny later). Why not use a dead body first?
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    bounchfx wrote: »
    That's why we're reading into it, because it was so direct and obvious. It's the perfect place to hide a clue in this show. Everytime they give you a hint it's false, so if they're not giving you a hint it's probably something to read into!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    heh, maybe. we already know about the time travel shit though.

I love this show
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing ending.

I loved the fact that they really did imply the entire episode that Faraday's mom knew everything and Faraday going to find her mom that she would know he's coming or that Eloise was going to have a hand in it all. And then BAM she didn't know.....

Loved it.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it also solidifies the fact that you can't change the past.

unfortunately, it looks like Jack now believes you can.

I think everything is going to play acccording to plan.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I enjoyed that plot, but god they took a long time to get to it. Nothing happened for the first 35 minutes.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Gonna miss Faraday, he was a fun character. I'm getting a little put out by the 'gotcha' endings. We had li'l Ben got shot to end an episode just a few weeks ago, and then this one tonight. I'm also itching to find out what's going on with Sun and Locke... need more Lost!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    1) We now know for sure the history behind the hatch, button, and how the losties got crashed. Still no word on the numbers.

2) Faraday was raised his entire life to lead up to the event where his mother shoots him. Awesome.

3) Faraday is Widmore's son, and Penny's brother. And, I guess Desmond's brother-in-law. Cool!

Lots of cool stuff this episode!

Verm: We didn't actually see Faraday die. I'm guessing he does die, but hey.. they really like to kill-but-not-really-kill characters in this show.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    Jesus Faraday's life was crapified...

so sad.

This means Hawking knows that the events after Faraday's death are going to be critically exceptional to the 'future' as I doubt she'd let her son die otherwise. Or maybe it's futile. But she states that now she doesn't know what will happen next. So it seems we're soon to the point where precognition will no longer factor, and the conspiring forces will vie for the power of the Island- the upcoming war.

So... I'm betting on Locke, for once, coming out on top.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    You know someone is going to die when the episode's flashbacks are their life story AND they fulfill their purpose. Great episode. Too bad about Faraday though, I love his character.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The writers have stated they won't be explaining the numbers at all..
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What did you see?
    Five times during "Lost" Wednesday night, a tiny image appeared inside a black screen, followed by the words "What did you see?" Don't worry -- it's not still another mystery of the island.

But the clips, and the web site TheMosaicCollective.com, are is the first public peek at something ABC hopes will capture the attention of "Lost" fans come fall. The three blips, to which the Hollywood Reporter first alerted us, were promos for a new series called "Flash Forward" that's all but certain to be part of the network's 2009-10 schedule.

(Standard disclaimer about how things could still change between now and May 19, when ABC announces its schedule for next season. But given that the show got a series commitment early in its development life and now these promos, it's a pretty safe bet.)

The promos didn't show us much: The images were of someone surfing, a sonogram, a group of kids leaving school, a bride and groom kissing and pallbearers carrying a coffin. But the question -- "What did you see?" -- will be a central theme of the series.

The show is based on Robert J. Sawyer's novel and follows the fallout from a cataclysm in which the world's entire population blacks out for just over two minutes. In addition to dealing with the chaos that ensues when everyone wakes up -- everything from car crashes to people walking off rooftops -- people soon come to realize that they all had a vision of their futures. The network says that those investigating the event will have only "a huge mosaic of people's flash forwards" to go on -- hence the Mosaic Collective title for the aforementioned site.

"Flash Forward" was created by David S. Goyer and Brannon Braga, who worked together on CBS' "Threshold" a few years back and between them have sci-fi and thriller credits that include "Batman Begins," the "Blade" films (Goyer) and several "Star Trek" series and "24" (Braga).

The pilot stars Joseph Fiennes, "Lost's" own Sonya Walger, Courtney B. Vance, Christine Woods and John Cho.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    This series has been really good, it makes up for the weak heroes as well. At one point Lost was getting weak, now everything is bring pieced together.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope Heroes turns around like LOST just did. Great episode overall. I agree, it did start off slow, but the ending made up for things :)

A death is never definite until we go through another episode or so. Maybe they'll throw him into the life recovery box that they put Ben in to ;) He may even return as Jacob :o

I wonder who Penny's mother is. Something tells me that Faraday's mom was a different woman.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel Heroes was a bunch of cack from the very beggining. Such a huge pity; it had huge potential as a premise and the cheerleader is hot when she's not blubbering (which happens too much).

Fantastic episode. Didn't think it would be when they were doing the 'previously on Lost' bit; as I find Desmond and all related characters a tad boring. I agree it really picked up half way through.Saw Faradays death a mile away though, they should leave out the 'wink wink' dialogue in future. I think what is going to happen now is Jack is going to convince Richard to get that bomb and bring it to the Swan.

What happened to the two hour episode? Wasn't it supposed to be two hours this week because there was no episode last week?

Haven't we seen that segment where Faraday went down to the Swan to talk to Dr.Chan before?
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    1) We now know for sure the history behind the hatch, button, and how the losties got crashed. Still no word on the numbers.

The numbers were the numbers being stamped on the door of the Swan in the episode with Hurley and Miles. I assume that since they needed to find some arbitrary set of numbers to assign to the button pushing after they concrete in the energy leak, those numbers were as good as any so that not just anyone could run in there and start fucking with it. It's just basically a password. Nothing special.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Haven't we seen that segment where Faraday went down to the Swan to talk to Dr.Chan before?

I think that was either at the very begining of this season...or right at the end of the last.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno if I agree with that Metabus, not a fairy satisfying resolution. Hope they do explain the numbers, they were a pretty big part of the second season in general.

EDIT: Thanks low odor (?!?) I thought maybe I had a bad deja vu; I get really bad ones sometimes. :D So; obviously this is a very important sequence of events if they started the season out with it. I reckon the rest of the season is gonna be about getting that bomb to the swan, and them either failing to set it off, or succeeding. Hoping for a lot of gun fights then! :D
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus wrote: »
    Nothing special.
    They have to be special. They are EVERYWHERE and EVERYTHING in Lost.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Numbers
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With Faraday down is he out? What a stupid shot to take at such a close range with such a high powered rifle. It obviously went through Faraday was she trying to kill Mr Eyeliner?

Are they going to take him to the temple (possibly again) is it a one heal per customer and he's been there to heal his mind already, or is he really gone? They paused on his fixed eyes kind of long, as if to sell it that hes dead. Still people do come back from the dead...

Bomb goes off, they think they changed things but they only succeed in pushing around some of the details but the event still happens, Desmond still ends up in the swan station. They spend next season retelling an alternate version of what happened during previous seasons.

Here's an idea, instead of trying to blow up something volatile why not let it happen then automate a way to push the button, or find a better way to contain it. Why is the smart guy using stupid logic?

Next week I suspect we'll check in with the Ben/Loche story. Hopefully will we finally find Sun (Maybe at the beach) and get to see what she has been up to all along.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark wrote: »
    They have to be special. They are EVERYWHERE and EVERYTHING in Lost.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Numbers

My personal take on it is they are special just because they are the numbers that were arbitrarily assigned to be the password that resets the security.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    **spoilers obviously**

Okay, I'm posting this without reading any other posts and before I finish the episode, but I'm at the part where farady is explaining the chain of events that happen after they do the experiement crap, where it releases megatons of energy.

so he's explaining that if they stop this from happening, blah blah blah, basically the oceanic 815 flight would not run into any snags and would land like normal... HOWEVER

he also says that whatever happened happened, and the present is the furthest along in the timeline, which makes me question: what the fuck do they care if they fix it ? since they are already on the island, and have already done that shit, what are they trying to fix? another universe of themselves from having to go through the same crap?

the only thing I can think is that maybe they all get teleported back in time (from the 70s) to RIGHT before the flight, and lose their memorys or some shit, and maybe not even that, maybe just put back to where they are supposed to be before the flight (course correction), and everything goes normal. I can picture that being the end of the show for some reason, but I hope it isnt.

just had to get that out. time to finish the episode
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    This series has been really good, it makes up for the weak heroes as well. At one point Lost was getting weak, now everything is bring pieced together.

Lost was starting to suck late in season 3, when it didn't seem like thing s were going anywhere. As soon as the producers decided that the show would run for six years and knew when the end would happen, it got much better. Deliberately doing a 'limited' series like that, or the way Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica did, seems to get way better results than open-ended TV. I wonder how much better The X-Files could have wrapped up if Chris Carter had decided in advance that the show would end in season 7 or 8, and written the last few seasons with the climax in mind.

Heroes is totally off the rails for exactly this reason. They've got no idea where they're taking the show, and they keep having to 'reboot' characters and plots once they've painted themselves into a corner. If it was imagined as a four-year arc from the outset, it'd have a better chance of kicking ass.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also Faraday must literally be the worst physicist in the history of physicists if you think you can destroy energy. Even with a hydrogen bomb. :D

I was also wondering that bounchfx. Would they dissapear from the seventies or something if they succeeded in destroying the energy pocket?

EDIT: Turns out this was the 100th episode! :D

So his mom and Widmore convinced Faraday to go back, knowing that he was going to die? Why? Because what he told Jack about the bomb etc. is very important? I guess so.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damon Lindelof
    There are some questions that are very engaging and interesting, and then there are other questions that we have no interest whatsoever in answering. We call it the midi-chlorian debate, because at a certain point, explaining something mystical demystifies it. To try and have a character come and say, "Here is what the numbers mean," actually makes every usage of the numbers up to that point less interesting.
    You can actually watch Star Wars now, and when Obi-Wan talks about the Force to Luke for the first time, it loses its luster because the Force has been explained as, sort of, little biological agents that are in your blood stream. So you go, "Oh, I liked Obi-Wan's version a lot better." Which in the case of our show is, "The numbers are bad luck, they keep popping up in Hurley's life, they appear on the island." ... But if you're watching the show for a detailed explanation of what the numbers mean—and I'm not saying you won't see more of them—then you will be disappointed by the end of season six.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that the losties apparently haven't realized yet is, everything they've done to try to 'fix' things, are all things that lead to the future that they already experienced. So yes, they will try to get that bomb and use it, and like Blender suggested, there is probably some tie in with Widmore and Faraday's Mom. That attempt to use the bomb is actually going to create the timeline that they were trying to correct.
    So basically, what I figure will happen is, Dr Chang will take Daniel's advice and investigate the Swan. He will realize Daniel was correct, and stop the construction, but then the losties will 'come to save the day', and ignite the bomb... or some crazy shit like that. The resulting explosion will therefore expose the magnetic field that Faraday was trying to keep contained, thus requiring the cemented wall and the number pushing. And again, they continue to fuck up their own future.

BTW, did anyone else notice the 'what did you see' commercials? Do you know their purpose/meaning?

Edit: NM, here's what the commercials were about: http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2009/04/what-did-you-see-during-lost-promos-for-a-new-show-thats-what.html
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Slight twist on skanker's theory about the last episode:

It ends with them crashing and dieing rather than landing on the island. They showed Faraday crying again and I can't help but think there is more behind him crying about that plane crash.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Slight twist on skanker's theory about the last episode:

It ends with them crashing and dieing rather than landing on the island. They showed Faraday crying again and I can't help but think there is more behind him crying about that plane crash.

Good point.

I was wondering about why he was crying. Since he's so detached in time, I was thinking his memories might all be flooding his mind at that particular point in time which gives him his 'memory problems.'

I'm also wondering if they took the 'de ja vu' theory into consideration in this show. Where you're mind basically timestamps every frame you see and every now and then it fucks up and you experience deja vu because your brain can't place the frames in any particular order.

So maybe his time stamps are all messed up and he's not only seeing the present, but the future and past as well. Kind of a 4D, string theory thing.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    So basically, what I figure will happen is, Dr Chang will take Daniel's advice and investigate the Swan. He will realize Daniel was correct, and stop the construction, but then the losties will 'come to save the day', and ignite the bomb... or some crazy shit like that. The resulting explosion will therefore expose the magnetic field that Faraday was trying to keep contained, thus requiring the cemented wall and the number pushing. And again, they continue to fuck up their own future.

Oh no! Hahaha yeah you are probably right. Will be one of those moments where your shouting at the television haha. :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I liked faraday a lot, and kinda sad to see him go, great character and actor. It pisses me the fuck off that his mom went and shot him like that, considering she mustve known he was looking for HER (being that he was screaming for her), and the fuckers lied about her being there (unless she just got back, but that is bullshit too)

and about the numbers, damn guys, I didn't think I was the only one who knew this considering it was a big part of the lost arg stuff of the past seasons including the Hanso Foundation (which I REALLY hope we see more of), the numbers are from the Valenzetti equation. look it up if you're interested.. it's really interesting. I think the link given earlier about the numbers has info on this too... they aren't arbitrary or meaningless.

also, I don't think Lost has 'gotten better' after a slump 'like hereos did'. Lost has always been consistently good and interesting if you ask me, and there were not moments (not many outside of 1-2 episodes at least), where I literally shake my head and sigh like the last 10 episodes of heroes has been. damn that made me sad.

can't wait for more. ugh. so good, but so many questions still.