[P&P] - What are you working on? 2008 Edition

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Slipstream: I quite like some of the shapes you've got going on, but without fail, your silhouettes are always much less interesting, and quite blobby as a whole.
    Take the scythe for instance. You can see some bold and angular strokes on the blade, whereas the blade itself is a bland and blobby.
  • GoSsS
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 12
    Beginning of the armor in Low Poly. Diffuse needs to be finished and specular needs to be done.

Armor_RT1.jpg
    wow neat stuff Gosss looks great! Kinda looks like he has cataracts though :P

I'll try to work on that !
    btw Goss, show the model with better lighting :P

I'll probably set up the lighting when the chest armor will be finished.
    These gunshot impacts are too planed placed.. the distance between each of them is very similar and there is no spot where more than one hit is and they look like clones too

I've added some impact and dispatch them between the two shoulder pads.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Diffuse first boyo!
  • Michael Knubben
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    What do you mean MightyPea? Without diffuse we are at a loss no?
  • EarthQuake
    eraserhead wrote: »
    karera, yea sometimes these things play tricks on the eyes, I should have taken a clearer render to show the grout action more clearly.

Anyway, I went ahead and fixed the floor, made it 6x6 as opposed to the incorrect 5x5.

floor01_pcfix.jpg

This just goes to show, whenever you're texturing a tileable texture, preview it tiled! =D
  • EarthQuake
    GCMP wrote: »
    What do you mean MightyPea? Without diffuse we are at a loss no?

If you're suggesting you should finish your diffuse before moving on to the spec, no, this is in fact *terrible* advice. For most materials you want to work concurently on both your diffuse and spec, perhaps working up your main details in the diffuse first, and then going on to tweak both at once. Its pretty simple really, they need to work together to create a readable material, so you need to work as whole, not focus on singular parts and ignore the other half(or 3rd =P) of the equation. Usually i'll do maybe, half or so of the diffuse work, or even less, before i start working up the spec.
  • EarthQuake
    HAL wrote: »
    Woahhh rollin, eraserhead looking nice :D

Here's a little something I'm working on...

Space marine orbital drop pod highpoly wip

wip-3.jpg

As this is now, a lot of your detail will get lost when trying to bake a normals map from this, you shouldn't have super hard edges like this in your highpoly, and heres a little image to explain why:

science-1.jpg
  • okkun
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 14
    eraserhead wrote: »
    karera, yea sometimes these things play tricks on the eyes, I should have taken a clearer render to show the grout action more clearly.

Anyway, I went ahead and fixed the floor, made it 6x6 as opposed to the incorrect 5x5.

floor01_pcfix.jpg

You're spec map is jacked. Why would the blue tiles be less shiny than the yellow tiles? Also ditch or change the spec color, spec using the same color as diffuse should really only be used for soda cans..

I would also recommend boosting your normal, it's not really reading very well. A couple off blurred at different width overlays should do it( keep a selection of the grout so you can nuke that out of the overlays).
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 14
    still missing some trademarks, but I want to have the base done first, then add asymetry and probably a pose in zbrush and sculpt accordingly later.

I gonna make a slight redesign but it will stay pure for the most parts :)

0001_A_ZangiefWIP02.jpg
  • JGunnDesign
    This looks awesome. It really reminds me of Aughra from the Dark Crystal. I don't know why though, I guess it's just me.
    kite wrote: »
    thatnumpty - that's a sweet mecha! that gun looks a bit boltery though, maybe something more attenuated would suit the design?

been slacking off a bit on personal stuff, here is a quicky of wayne barlowe's decurion demon. it's not really a 100% likeness of the painting, I think i might make him a different rank entirely so i can play around with costume and distortion of the limbs

actarion.jpg
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer polycounter lvl 14
    crocowip5.jpg
    A bit more of work for this character, almost finished with the modelling and mapping " phase" :D

Here's a screen capture with some details and the uv. Almost all mapped with UV peeler! in some clicks. I did a tutorial for some friends with the peeler tool http://blog.whiteblaizer.com/?p=906 , but it's in spanish, if you are interested let me know it and i will make a version in english.
    faldon03.jpg
  • HAL
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 8
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    As this is now, a lot of your detail will get lost when trying to bake a normals map from this, you shouldn't have super hard edges like this in your highpoly, and heres a little image to explain why:

Whoaa you're right, I didn't think of that, thanks for the advice.
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 13
    Worked some more on this scifi wall.
    scifiwall_01.jpg
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    okkun wrote: »
    You're spec map is jacked. Why would the blue tiles be less shiny than the yellow tiles? Also ditch or change the spec color, spec using the same color as diffuse should really only be used for soda cans..

I would also recommend boosting your normal, it's not really reading very well. A couple off blurred at different width overlays should do it( keep a selection of the grout so you can nuke that out of the overlays).

Thanks for the tips, I agree with what you wrote; I post the updated floor later today.

@snake85027: It looks like some of the red Ray-miss color from your bakes is making it to your texture, you may want to fix those errors before moving on.

Also, I think you should put your name in the image credits as opposed to "Modeled and Textured by Me", so a person that saves the image to their HD can trace it back to you.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 14
    I am resurrecting an old project from my old demo reel. I had a lot of optimizing/cleaning up to do and I still have quite a bit left. I'm at 7.5k tris now and I hope to finish up with about 16k-20k tris in the end. Any thoughts or crits?
    building1_wip.jpg
    building2_wip.jpg
    building3_wip.jpg

any reason you cut the circular shapes out of the wall? You could of just used intersecting geo there, since it's not cutting back into the wall and saved tons of polys
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 12
    blaizer, that dude is the coolest. supercool proportions, can't wait to see it finished. : )
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 10
    Got started on this one today. I'm planning to make him more lizard like on the next couple of subdivs.
    Any suggestions about muscular anatomy regarding the tail merging with the butt would be appreciated.

Bob_1.jpg
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    If you're suggesting you should finish your diffuse before moving on to the spec, no, this is in fact *terrible* advice. For most materials you want to work concurently on both your diffuse and spec, perhaps working up your main details in the diffuse first, and then going on to tweak both at once. Its pretty simple really, they need to work together to create a readable material, so you need to work as whole, not focus on singular parts and ignore the other half(or 3rd =P) of the equation. Usually i'll do maybe, half or so of the diffuse work, or even less, before i start working up the spec.

Never heard of that, I just can't see how it would be of profit to devote half the concentration to other shader includes like specularity before the diffuse is finished? I know they have to work together but also so do glossiness and bump, so that's like 4 texture sheets to contend with all at the same time. Pretty sure most peoples heads would be spinning looking at 4 maps and an application unless they were unwrapping nothing more complex than a box.
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    EQ has a point, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary to be concurrently working on both textures at the same time. I believe that it IS however very important to have your specular map in your mind as you work the diffuse texture. I keep my diffuse master files layered like a mother f* for easy tweaking and adjusting at the end.

Sometimes I do get myself a little confused by working on them separately and then trying to dissect my layers at the end and decide what I want to be diffuse and what to be spec. It's surely worth a try to do both at the same time... probably would end up with a better product at the end of it all if you were able to wrap your head around it all at once.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 13
    GOOD LORD is that the Geico lizzard ?
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 13
    Pretty sure most peoples heads would be spinning looking at 4 maps and an application unless they were unwrapping nothing more complex than a box.

If you think four maps would make your head spin wait till your doing a whole environment OR being the clean-up artist that has to unify every material of a project.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Never heard of that, I just can't see how it would be of profit to devote half the concentration to other shader includes like specularity before the diffuse is finished? I know they have to work together but also so do glossiness and bump, so that's like 4 texture sheets to contend with all at the same time. Pretty sure most peoples heads would be spinning looking at 4 maps and an application unless they were unwrapping nothing more complex than a box.

I do i like EQ suggests and imo it really isnt a problem juggling several maps at once, i usually do a single PSD file with 3 folders inside the file, one for specc one for diffuse and one for normal and i just work on them all at once. If i do some scratches in the diffuse i just instantly copy it down to the specc aswell and do a quick correction to get it right. IMO this is waaaay better then doing the diffuse 100% first.
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    GOOD LORD is that the Geico lizzard ?
    No... that's Bob.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks for the info. my mind just can't seem to get past the notion that all maps are based off the diffuse so after a few years of getting used to doing it that way it tends to become the law but I will try juggling a few maps as it should help improve skills.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 14
    yeah i tend to do the same thing as EQ, it's IMO the most efficient way to be able to check your texture and modify it accordingly since the spec and diffuse really need one another to work.
    I started doing that because on one of my previous titles, we had the spec in the diffuse alpha, but it also works perfectly for spec color (which I used on other projects, including all my personal stuff) and I'm still somewhat close to sanity.
    It's just a workflow thing, really.

WIPZ ZOMG
    Magicwip1.jpg

based on Conte's concept
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    Just dickin around with some russian nuclear facility stuff... no intent to texture yet...

shot2.jpg
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 14
    looks awesome vahl ! :)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 13
    Lunch time speed paint. It changed direction about 4 times, I probably should have used some reference.

2008-12-02_001.jpg

-caseyjones
  • Mr GetDown
    _Shimmer wrote: »
    still missing some trademarks, but I want to have the base done first, then add asymetry and probably a pose in zbrush and sculpt accordingly later.

I gonna make a slight redesign but it will stay pure for the most parts :)

0001_A_ZangiefWIP02.jpg

Looking good, I hope you give him some cool spikey hair.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 9
    looking good pope!
  • X-Convict
    coltPython_renders.jpg

More weapon goodness, making this for testing engine stuff some more.. low and textures to come.
  • Slum
    Nice Artem, looks great :)

The other weekend I was playing way too much Advance Wars on my DS, so I decided to fiddle with creating a similar tile-based tactical game. After a couple hours that evening, I got this much done. I’ll probably never finish it, so here’s a video for posterity. Written in C++ and utilizing the allegro library.

test01.jpg

click for video
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 13
    Dekard wrote: »
    any reason you cut the circular shapes out of the wall? You could of just used intersecting geo there, since it's not cutting back into the wall and saved tons of polys

afaik it's better to cut them though, it doesn't really add any vertexes (trianglecount doesnt really matter for a game engine, it's vertexcount), and you get a nice solid mesh without any overdraw.
  • Rumkugel
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 10
    modeled during lunchbreaks

12pdr.jpg

2drrh.jpg

still needs a spec map and the normal map pimped.
  • Super
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 14
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Online / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 11
    hands are too small, unless thats an intentional retardation :D looking sweet tho
  • AimBiZ
  • DInusty
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 11
    aim im loving it. i like the scale on the hands and the feet that you made i wish i could see more of in characters. are you planning on finishing this or is it just a lunch play around?
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    Frozan wrote: »
    aim im loving it. i like the scale on the hands and the feet that you made i wish i could see more of in characters. are you planning on finishing this or is it just a lunch play around?
    Glad u like. Yes I am going to finish it, at least I plan to. I posted my concept of this a while ago on this very same thread.
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=51687&page=176

Might as well mention it is a remake of an old character I made for a schoolproject and the concept was made by another member of my team.
    http://aimbiz.deviantart.com/art/An-adventure-awaits-81457399

This time I wanted to make it my style and also found it challenging to translate it from the cartoony style to a more realistic kind.
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiz, I see that you've wrapped up his little gecko fingers with tape! NOOO!!! show off his little badass suction toes!

2514333659_71400093e2.jpg?v=0
    a646_1611.jpg
  • Joopson
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson Polycount Sponsor
    AimBiZ wrote: »
    Bob_2.jpg

Geico for Realz!
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 12
    I like him, but there's something odd with where/how the tail meets up with his body. Doesn't look natural. I would have the tail follow the spine more, rather than sticking out as drastically as it does. I'd also try to blend the musculature of the lower back and the tail. Make it look like the muscles in his tail continue up his back some.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 14
    Kinda reminds me of Sloth from the goonies, he needs a superman shirt though :D

Super wrote: »
    mutant_02.jpg

Sloth-Figure.gif
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam: Nice references! I'll give it a thought. Having his fingertips more gekko like sound like a pretty good idea.

Tumberboy: Yes, the tail still needs more work. If I'll do as you suggest. I've taken a look at the lizardmen figures from warhammer and their tails go alot more downwards. Perhaps it will also look cooler when/if he gets animated since he's placed in an enviroment which require alot of climbing.
  • c0ldhands
    Hai, just posting up something here that im working/strugling with right now. Feel free to visit my website too if you may desire.

1.png
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 13
    dang- people be modeling those thiongs left and right- must be some collective consciousness funniness goin on.
  • Pope Adam
  • thatnumpty
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    Numpty: COOL!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.