Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Raphael_Bouch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raphael_Bouch polycounter lvl 2
    Hey folks ! I would need some help about modeling with outlines. Here I have a flintlock hammer and so far so good with the base part since it's just "flat". But I do struggle for the "spoon" shape (aka the jaws where the flint is held). usually I'd just use an half quad sphere for this but for that specific case I need a "smooth to hard" transition. How would you go about this ?

Thanks in advance
  • juniwini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm adding panel lines to a cylinder, but I don't know how to work with the hard surface.

help me :(
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Just need some edge loops on either side of the corner, may need to use more edge loops around the cylinder. 
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    juniwini said:
    I'm adding panel lines to a cylinder, but I don't know how to work with the hard surface.

there are three ways of possibly doing it.
    1. Model it flat and use bend
    2. Blockout the main shape and make sure you have enough segments to handle the paneling
    3. floater.

All of them will work fine!
    I am currently coming down with a bad influensa, so this took me longer then it should, I apologize

In your case, if you'd like to have a sharper edge, you need a cylinder with higher segments, if you want to avoid pinching.

Edit: Sorry forgot to upload pictures, and manage to save this in my hardsurface folder and overwrite a 2 year old "tutorial". Yei.

• juniwini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you 
    Take care of yourself  :3
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    You cawirrexx said:
    juniwini said:

there are three ways of possibly doing it.
    1. Model it flat and use bend
    2. Blockout the main shape and make sure you have enough segments to handle the paneling
    3. floater.

All of them will work fine!
    I am currently coming down with a bad influensa, so this took me longer then it should, I apologize

In your case, if you'd like to have a sharper edge, you need a cylinder with higher segments, if you want to avoid pinching.

Edit: Sorry forgot to upload pictures, and manage to save this in my hardsurface folder and overwrite a 2 year old "tutorial". Yei.

Are you trying to bake this or model it?

Here is a 3D model approach thats quadrilateral with retaining loops

And here is a deferred decal approach