Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• HAWK12HT
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 10

Glad that someone finally went through page 1 like me with all those years of gold mine info. I do hope you saved the images along the way :D

• hanabirano
    Offline / Send Message
    hanabirano polycounter lvl 3

I strongly suggested you do it using Wayback Machine, there is a lot of golden gems that are now hidden 😉

• Elmo_Learning

Wow I didn't knew about this. I saw some pictures and profile that was hidden before! +_+

Will go one more round next month I guess since I have captured most of text via screenshot and have to transfer digital knowledge to physical notebook ( writing it down ) so I can refer whenever I'm stuck or daydreaming. haha!

I envy you guys, you all are far more better than me and a lot younger too. All the best with journey :)

• GlowingPotato
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 8

Hi!

is this the case where I need to add more geo to have a correct SUBD without pinching ?

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to place support loops around this indent to have a correct subD model.

I made the low poly object like this.

Now I'm trying to build the hi-poly from it and my subD skills suck.

Can you point me how to correct place support loops around this indent ?

EDIT:

i did this

and after SUBD:

is this the correct approach ?:

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi insane polycounter

Looks fine to me!

Typically when either applying tris or indeed ngons to resolve artifacting, best results are usually derived via planar surfaces - as in your example.

Although in most situations, when curvature is introduced to a given shape/object, an issue may invaribly arise.

• GlowingPotato
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 8

@sacboi thanks for your input! but after close inspecting, i have pinching!! =/

@wirrexx thanks A LOT for taking the time to make this .gif and sharing your workflow. But I may have done something wrong, i still have a little bit of pinching and the curve around the corner doesn't look symmetrical on my model. But i'll try again.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi insane polycounter

Agreed!

Plus I think would also depend upon, if the model is viewed up close ingame i.e. animated rather than for example, a portfolio still or such like...

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

Additionally from the previous advice, try terminating your support loop where your model becomes more planar/flat. If you're putting a triangle/junction on a curved area/too soon of a termination - it'll pinch due to the pole.

• RocketAlex
  • Grubber
    Online / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 13

This is how I would do it to keep all quads.

And sometimes this produces better shading, but of course it depends.

• Bruno_pcm

Hello, everyone!

Guys I'm a beginner and have no idea how I could make this peace of colth (vest) work in animations.

I tried using the Skin Wrap modifier, but during some animations, the parts that should be loose end up being attatched to the character's body and it makes the animation look a bit strange.

Ex: In the run animation, the vest keeps completely on the character's body, when some parts should be flapping. I tried dividing the mesh and adding bones to take control of this movement, but it didn't work.

Could someone help me with that?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

• Deqa
    Offline / Send Message
    Deqa polycounter lvl 7

How do you create a shape like this? The triangular indentation in a bath tub? Do you model the entire tub first and then boolean it with a triangular extrusion? I can't approach the object without it becoming high poly. It almost seems as if you want to define the tub's outer curvature first, and then cut in with Cut tool to define the loops for the triangular indentation, but by that point you need way more polys for how organic the curve of the tub blends into the triangular indentation. Or you just boolean your tub with a triangular indentation and do some repairing?

I tried plane extruding by one plane each time, and I quickly lost the shape. It would seem doing Cuts or a boolean on a piece of high resolution geometry, like a tub entirely modeled first, would be easier. But I can't get my head around how high resolution the geometry would be by that point. Then, you can define the cuts and proper edge flow to make the chamfered corners, the indentation, and so on?

• hassansheded
    Offline / Send Message
    hassansheded polycounter lvl 6

i am having trouble modeling this part, how can i get a smooth transition? i attached the model i case some can check it

• okidoki
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki triangle

IDK what do you think:

There is a slighly quirk right to selected vertex.

• shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 14

That doesn't look like a topology change, as much as a change in the materials roughness. At least to me that's how I see it. ;P

• Deqa
    Offline / Send Message
    Deqa polycounter lvl 7

Thanks for the response Frank! Had no idea I could block it out from such a simple cage instead of trying to isolate a complex detail with a higher resolution. I did try the cage idea at first but I didn't know that I could dissolve the edges for the curves on the side of the tub into a triangle, and really keep the form super simple and low resolution before subdivision. Subdividing too soon or over subdividing the mesh adds a lot of unnecessary complexity that can make it difficult to cleanly join certain types of compound curves. Great images, too, that show you modelling that part of the tub sequentially! And yes, it is an image I took of my tub, so I could get more ref for the remaining sides as well and how more transitional the back curves of the tub are, too, of course.

• okidoki
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki triangle

Yeah it's diffficult to see in the reference but if you search for Glock 17 Gen 5 you can see: it is.

• SXZ

Hi all to the master here, I'm pretty new to 3D and I was trying to model a halo battle rif and I faced some problem which I don't really know how the topology work at this section because there are like hole etc, wonder if anyone here know how it work for the topology?

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master

have this in mind, you can easily use ngons, tris on a flat surface, dont be afraid of it! This could save you ton of time on the weapon! =) This means that you can modell more freely on that weapon if you dont have segments going all the way through the weapon. =)

• SXZ
  • ColMatrix

Hello all,

I am generting an asset, a Hero bad ass Asset for VR for Occulus Quest 2 (No Dedicated €1000 GPU!).

To start below is a just door:

Grey Shape = I have it covered with a normal map, looks great!

My problem ist the Blue part, a HUGE amount of objects for this machine, have nice smooth beveled rounded edges. After many tests between 3ds Max and Substance Painter I have the following options (with issues).

1/ Simple elongated box (4 Polys) + Normal Map

2/Chamfered elongated box (8 Polys) + smoothing groups (nearly the same as #1 and without seams!).

#1 in Substance Painter with Normal: Map

I have tried every setting under the sun, with different smoothing groups and different options in Substance Painter. The seam is not overly visible, once a texture is applied to it even a little less, but as this machine consists of A LOT of these shapes, I wish to get it spot on but, without killing the vertex count.

I even tested #2 with normal map and I still had seams (two seams) again I have tried lots of different settings.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, using option two, is definately easier to generate and would also save a lot of time going through the normal map process.

Thank you 😁🙏

• okidoki
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki triangle

Quick question: You have some margins in the UVs so that the normal map doesn't interfere with the neighbour faces ? The grey part seems to have no visible 90 degree edges (assuming 135) so its more visible on 90 degree on the blue.

• ColMatrix

@okidoki Was the question directed at me? If so, thanks, I hope I understand your question.

I have enough padding, I think...0.01 at 2048x2048 px. I also tested the padding at 0,04.

Normal map back in 3ds Max with UV's:

Cheers

• okidoki
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki triangle

Yes 😅 it was.. in this type of forum (vanilla?) the direct reply seems to be the (full) quote , sorry. And yes again i meant additional space at the UV borders (in blender this UV-unwrap option is just called margin) .. thanks now i see (in the polycount wiki it's also called padding).. so sad that sometimes technical terms also separate more than making the conversation more precise 😪 .. thinking about this i actually know this 🤔 maybe because i'm no native english speaker i forgot.. Thanks again 😉 so i'm also enhancing my english.

Anyway: as you said.. barely visible.. (if you hadn't put "Seam" on the image i almost didn't noticed).. i assume the final texture will be not pure blue??

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G sublime tool

Currently looks like the highpoly uses support loops plus subd which will round off the edges. Adding an actual bevel might help here. One could also map UVs to trims. Here is a test to illustrate what I mean.

• ColMatrix

@okidoki yes when working with other people on different programs it can be very confusing with the different terminology. Partially, this part will have a galvanised texture, some parts will be coated with a smooth slightly reflective colour.

@Fabi_G Thanks for the example, that's pretty cool! By Trim UV's do you mean manipulate the UV island, that the bottom edge is near the top edge taking less UV space, but the whole mesh will still have the Normal gradient applied?

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G sublime tool

@ColMatrix Oh, I meant to suggest the usage of a trim sheet for repeating elements. Tiling trims can also be combined with uniquely baked parts of course.

• ColMatrix

@Fabi_G ahh yes a Trim Sheet, I will be using an Atlas for the texture. :)

• macaron10
  • macaron10

Hello!!!How to make it beautiful and correct in terms of topology? Help😶

• Laon

Hey guys I am trying to model pipes I was wondering as to how I could connect these two geometries without ruining their topology and having a clean mesh at the end.

Thank you

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

The answer is quite literally above you.

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master

line up the segments of the two cylinders.

• DENDEN

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to model an extruded cross

And I really don't understand how to make that...

Maybe you know how to correctly model it?

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

contain this detail like so

• Grubber
  • DENDEN
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master

lazy way from me, did one extrusion, mirror it twice, work on one side, then just connect them

• DENDEN
  • ColMatrix

Hi all, all doing well?

I have had this problem a few times, so I am guessing it is missing knowledge on mybehalf rather than max. I first notice these problems after smoothing an optimised low-poly model. I have removed the optimisaion and the issue remains.

I have tried 'Edit Normals', XView and a few whacky test I found in the internet...nothing.

The model is not an import.

3ds Max 2022.3.3

Any help/guidance/lessons/suggestions are welcome - Thanks

• macaron10
  • Raphael_Bouch

Hello ! Pretty basic question I believe but I have that detail pîece on the left that I modeled separately and the vert count doesn't match with the part on the right, which creates massive artifacts using subd. How can I please fix it ? Thanks in advance

• okidoki
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki triangle

Quick thought: maybe something like this (quick thought while overpainting; upper part slihjt complex or simpler lower part) ?

Then i tried smomething like this with wire view (additional edge smooth), smooth shading and subdiv (since you also have one in the modifier stack):

• ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD sublime tool

Easiest option would be to use more geometry on the other half and match the number of loops. It'll save you a lot more time not trying to reduce geometry that doesn't need to be reduced.

You can also merge the miss matched edges on that flat shelf between the 2 parts using an edge loop going around in the middle.

• Laon

Hey guys I am trying to model a cylinder with holes in it and I can't seem to figure out how to, what should I do in order to get a shape like this that has proper topo? Thank you