Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx interpolator
    I made this black object in Blender. While the shape and shading is good, it looks very highpoly for something that will be duplicated 7 times. Is there a better way to do the topology to reduce the polycount while still retaining the shape?

• abronee
    Offline / Send Message
    abronee polycounter lvl 2
    Hi! I am trying to model this cylinder into a the cube, and tbh Im a little lost on where to start. I could bevel the edges with a high fraction, and boolean a cylinder into that corner, but then I would lose the hightlights, as it gets too soft. Would be a great with a tip, on how to approach this at least! Thanks 

• FrankPolygon
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon ngon master
    @abronee There's a discussion about merging similar shapes a few posts up and the last couple of pages of also have examples of how to add intersecting surface features to curved geometry. It's definitely worth taking the time to read through some of the existing documentation in this thread to see if any of those solutions can be applied to the shape in question.

It's considered best practice to start by blocking out the shapes, matching the segments on the intersecting curved shapes and adding supporting geometry where needed. If you run into any major problems while modeling the shapes: post some images of the mesh in shaded and wire-frame mode, describe the issue, attempted solutions and how you would like to improve the results. Seeing exactly what's wrong with the mesh will make it easier to give accurate feedback on possible solutions to specific problems.
  • tonpix
    Offline / Send Message
    tonpix polycounter lvl 5
    Hello. I'm modeling a bike part and there's a tricky area where 3 curved sharp edges meet at 1 intersection. I'm not sure if it's possible to fully avoid a triangle/ngon. I suppose they might be necessary evil, but I'm not sure how to place them in a way to avoid excessive loops. There was one attempt from me in 3rd picture, but I believe it's not elegant solution :D There's link to blender file if it helps https://drive.google.com/file/d/1akP9WgfKCi07cV99FqY3wA5SLPHkzBv9/view?usp=sharing (in 2nd pic, blue edges are marked as max bevel weight for adding support loops via bevel modifier)

• Zoddo
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 2
    @tonpix In this case it would be a lot faster to ignore all the support loops and just bevel your edges upon weight or angle before subdividing your mesh (bevel with modifier and don't collapse it)
    Really you shouldn't be afraid of having ngons or triangles, as long as the end result is what you want visually. You are working on a hardsurface model so you can get away with a lof of ngons.

since you're using Blender, I highly recommend Boxcutter, HardOps and Meshtools for your hardsurface models as it speeds up your modelling.

Also the problem why you get so many overlapping lines etc. at this "intersection", is because you try and connect so many vertices into one corner and subdivide it later.
    So what you can do too is make the corner more broad, so that it's not a 90degree corner with one edge. So adding another corner to it so that the overall shape is closer to your end-result when subdiving might also help.
  • IronLover64

how do I merge these two pieces together into one piece as well as have it on all 4 sides?
  • FrankPolygon
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon ngon master
    @IronLover64 There's a discussion about a similar shape on the previous page.

There's more than one way to do this but start by matching the number of segments in the cylinder to the adjacent geometry in the quad sphere. Join the two shapes by using either a boolean operation or a bridge edge loop operation. Clean up any stray geometry before and after joining the shapes. Duplicate the joined features into a quarter shape segment using the split, copy, mirror and rotate tools. Add a mirror modifier to complete the rest of the shape. Below is a basic example of what this could look like.

It's also possible to use shape primitives and a series of modifiers (array with empty rotation offset, mirror, boolean and bevel) to perform most of the previously mentioned modeling operations in non-destructive manner but for such a simple shape this excess complexity may not make sense. The tools, order of operations and amount of geometry needed will vary depending on how closely the model will be viewed and the desired goals for the project. Adjust accordingly.
  • martianlion
    Hey people!
    Every now and then I face a problem of merging three+ edges with bevels of different sizes applied to them. And every time I end up either using booleans as a starter, or I do these corners by hand entirely. But there must be a more elegant solution. Do you guys have any tips how to tackle this?
  • FrankPolygon
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon ngon master
    @martianlion It should be possible to create this geometry automatically with a bevel / chamfer modifier. Depending on the application's tool set: the width of the round over can be controlled by weights, groups or base geometry. Check the application's documentation to see what options are available in the latest version.

Here's an example where the size of the round over is controlled by edge weights. The edge weight along the top of the mesh decreases towards the back of the shape which results in a tapered profile.

Here's an example where the size of the round over is controlled by the underlying geometry. The relative size of the adjacent surface area is used to determine how large or small the round overs should be. Adjusting the position of the existing support loops around the outer edges will change the size of the round overs.

Another option would be to create a very coarse cage mesh and use basic subdivision to round over the edges. What method makes the most sense depend on how accurate the curves need to be and what tools are available.
  • martianlion
    @FrankPolygon Thank you, you're the best. Using the initial geometry to determine all these shapes at once instead of doing bevels first, and then trying to connect them is... Welp. Great idea, and so simple too. Thanks again.
  • Tosyk
    Offline / Send Message
    Tosyk polycounter lvl 9
    can you guys tell me how to do it smooth?
    outer shape is fine though

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi ngon master
    Search back a few pages, there are a few options kindly shared that discuss various methods too resolve topology issues by using existing geometry to support mesh cage transform functions once subdiv is applied.    
  • Tosyk
    Offline / Send Message
    Tosyk polycounter lvl 9
    @sacboi
    thanks, but that's what I need help with - to fix the topology.
    I looked through several pages back and didn't find solution unfortunately
  • Tosyk
    Offline / Send Message
    Tosyk polycounter lvl 9
    @FrankPolygon
    thank you for you detailed and most structured explanation sir! this was not only helpful but also interesting reading.

The reason I came here is because I faced difficulties which I can't solve myself. I should say that I'm always patiently looking for a solution before I start to ask anything. It seems my eye got blurred after few days of attempts. Also I have this so far and I'm pretty satisfied with the result:

• lammer_228
    Hi guys, I have never modeled such shapes and I have a problem and the question is if I modeled the shape correctly and if the mesh is normal, you can see that I have a problem with setting up the smoothing groups at the seam, can anyone know how to achieve good shading and nice mesh?

One of the problem

• FeatherCritter
    Hello! I'm having trouble coming up with a decent solution for a deep, narrow cut into a smooth spaceship model. 

+ .obj : http://www.sashamorrissey.com/artwork/ShipHelpPleaseThankYou.obj

I found this tip which was wonderfully useful for the outer corners of this very pointy mesh - I was wondering if there might be such a magic key to what is essentially the inverse of that shape.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7d/ca/72/7dca726528b9c887de8a458631f8cbc3.png

This is for a game so I think we can only have one level of subdivision. Naturally, this is right on top of the spaceship and highly visible. Any ideas how I can get this a little cleaner would be very, very appreciated! Thank you!
  • NodrawNT
    Offline / Send Message
    NodrawNT polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, it's been a while since I've posted here !
    I've started a new project and I'm struggling with what could seem a very basic shape. I'm trying to model a cupola.
    Here's my reference :

And here's what I'm struggling with : 

I feel like the intersection isn't as rounded as it should be but yet I can't find how to manage it, also the top part is a mystery to me ...
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi ngon master
    The shape is called a Pendentive, an elegant architectural solution most notably seen in the Church of Hagia Sophia, construction.

And yes, fairly simple too model:

• Subdivided cube
    • Spherify (quadify)
    • Boolean (cylindrical subtraction) 
    • Mirror
    • Cleanup - apply Chamfer/Bevel
    • Subdivide

EDIT:
    This ever evolving subd thread really is a gold standard resource, imo without parity interweb wide :)
  • NodrawNT
    Offline / Send Message
    NodrawNT polycounter lvl 6
    sacboi said:
    The shape is called a Pendentive, an elegant architectural solution most notably seen in the Church of Hagia Sophia, construction.

And yes, fairly simple too model:

• Subdivided cube
    • Spherify (quadify)
    • Boolean (cylindrical subtraction) 
    • Mirror
    • Cleanup - apply Chamfer/Bevel
    • Subdivide

EDIT:
    This ever evolving subd thread really is a gold standard resource, imo without parity [email protected] e :)
     @sacboi thanks it will help me so much ! I didn't know about this church thanks ! Also, how did you manage to find it in all these pages ?
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi ngon master
    Well, aside from attempting to archive/pdf info people had shared here just for my own reference :p but also I find simply googling a specific modeling issue will often return a match to this particular thread.