Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Prime8 said:
    Nice stuff indeed, though it looks like Blender has problems with the custom normals.

Sorry, I thought you were having trouble with the imported normals.
    I appreciate the help.
    What I meant was that Blender doesn't import the custom normals correctly, that's why they look wrong right after the import.
    I tried the fbx files of the other kitbash set, the imported normals look the same as if using one of the methods above, therefor I guess the problem is related to the obj file or importer.

Jarvgrimr said:
    I hope this is the right thread for this, but can anyone direct me as to how to 100% the weight of a bone on a selected mesh... I don't want to have to manually paint weights, and in 2.7 it looked like there was a UI section where I could select the bone, and just write 100% weight and it would apply to the whole mesh. Any help/thoughts?

It only shows up in edit or weight paint mode.
    If you don't want to deform the mesh and the whole objects is attached to one bone, which I guess is the case here, just parent to the bone without deformation, in that case you don't need to apply any weight or vertex groups.

• Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    Can't seem to find a clear answer on this - how can I set the autosmooth default value from 30 to 60? 
  • Jarvgrimr
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarvgrimr polycounter lvl 10
    Prime8 said:

It only shows up in edit or weight paint mode.
    If you don't want to deform the mesh and the whole objects is attached to one bone, which I guess is the case here, just parent to the bone without deformation, in that case you don't need to apply any weight or vertex groups.

Ah I see, it only showed up in Edit mode for me, but not in Weight Paint mode. Odd. However, that solved it. Thanks buddy!

I went into the relations section, and tried this way of doing it, but it kept on moving the mesh when I attached it to the bone. I'm guessing it's something to do with my mesh pivots and my bone pivot not matching... but I got it to work with the above method :) cheers again mate!

• Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Jarvgrimr said:
    ... but it kept on moving the mesh when I attached it to the bone. I'm guessing it's something to do with my mesh pivots and my bone pivot not matching...

You need to activate "keep transformation" when parenting it to the bone. I'm not sure if it works when changing it directly in the Relation settings.
    Edit: just realised the "keep transformation" switch seams to be a bit buggy for me, pressing it multiple times doesn't change it back and sometimes it shows active but isn't... strange
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    LuisCherubini interpolator
    @LuisCherubini Nice find. Just donated. You're right about the kitbash kits. I got an email from Furio Tedeschi asking if it was OK to use my Zbrush IMM Armour brush on concept work he was doing for the Transformers 5 film. If Furio can kitbash other peoples' models then anyone can! :D

As for the bevels on these models, MESHmachine would be perfect for that.

@musashidan
    You can now say that you were responsible for the little bolts in Optimus Prime!  :D Oh, every single VFX artist journey 

@Prime8 I didnt know about that! Looks faster than applying the WN indeed! 
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Prime8 said:
    I appreciate the help.What I meant was that Blender doesn't import the custom normals correctly, that's why they look wrong right after the import.I tried the fbx files of the other kitbash set, the imported normals look the same as if using one of the methods above, therefor I guess the problem is related to the obj file or importer.

Yeah mate, I think the .OBJ importer is busted. I exported both .obj and .fbx from the Max scene and the normals were broken on the .obj, but good on the .fbx.

• Michael Knubben

• LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, Im featuring Benjamin Sauder's Set Flow tool that was ported from Maya to Blender 2.79 :smile:
    Nothing actually "new" here, but its important to shine a spotlight into it one more time, next week I'll be showcasing some of his UV preview tools too. If you wanna check out Set Flow for 2.8 try this WIP version maybe: https://tinyurl.com/y4yqljek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=754pPJymONk Best, and happy blending!
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @LuisCherubini SetFlow is a Max legend, not Maya. :D

When I first started learning 2.80, SetFlow was one of the first things I instantly missed from Max. The other is Swiftloop. I would love to see this in Blender. Ctrl+R tool is alright, but a pain in the arse that you can't make continuous loop cuts, one after the other, and where ever you like. It always starts in the centre of the edge and you have to drag it across, plus you have to keep restarting the tool after every cut. Also, Swiftloop has SetFlow built into it.

Swiftloop

Swiftloop

Also, another way to add segments on cylinders is the Loop Tools>Circle.

You can also use this to even out cylinders, so if you have, say, a 12 side and you need to make it 16

• ant1fact
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    Deforges said:
    Can't seem to find a clear answer on this - how can I set the autosmooth default value from 30 to 60? 
    You don't have to write d after the number, it was added automatically
  • Michael Knubben
    ant1fact said:
    Deforges said:
    You don't have to write d after the number, it was added automatically
    I believe they meant how to make sure every mesh starts with 60 as a default. And I don't know the answer! It's not exposed in the settings of creating a primitive, and there's no preference setting I can find.
    You can easily create a button with Pie Menu Editor or through Python that sets it, though.

• kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    @LuisCherubini hey nice little demo of the addon. There is a 2.8 branch on github you can check - I haven't updated it in a while, so I dont know if it works with the current 2.8 builds.. as I havent had the time to actually really use it myself :expressionless: 
    There is some work to be done, and I had some errors I wanted to fix, but need to find some time...

The big gain from such a tool is you can actually create perfectly smoothed curved shapes in geometry - these are very hard to place by hand (impossible?). For some type of hard surface models this is really helpful (mostly curved shapes), not so much for 90° straight technical models.

@musashidan yeah looptools can do similar stuff, but personally I do find it sometimes very clunky to use and do weird selections.

• m_asher
    Offline / Send Message
    m_asher node
    @kio The 2.8 branch has been working fine for me. I'd argue that it could throw errors in a cleaner way (clarifying the relationship between the selection and the error), but that's just me being a UX snob. 
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @kio So you're the Setflow dev for Blender? In that case I owe you a beer. :D  You've done a great service to we grumpy old Max vets.

What do you mean by a separate branch? Isn't it just an addon? That's how I'm using it in 2.80.
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    @musashidan I totally agree, reactivating the loop tool in Ctrl + R is a step that just stalls the overall speed, I wish that behavior could be toggled down at least. Even with the increase of non-destructive workflows its important to aknowledge some basic modeling comands back in line.

@kio I'm happy to see you active in here!
    Tried to contact you through facebook and Airborn's email, but no signs anywhere ahah  :s

• SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    @LuisCherubini SetFlow is a Max legend, not Maya. :D

When I first started learning 2.80, SetFlow was one of the first things I instantly missed from Max. The other is Swiftloop. I would love to see this in Blender. Ctrl+R tool is alright, but a pain in the arse that you can't make continuous loop cuts, one after the other, and where ever you like. It always starts in the centre of the edge and you have to drag it across, plus you have to keep restarting the tool after every cut. Also, Swiftloop has SetFlow built into it.

Swiftloop

Swiftloop

In fairness, I have always used a script in Max for this exact function(not in Max default either - although the pivot system in Max is a lot more robust)
    I won't comment on the Loop Cut and Slide paradigm, but, if you want to continuously cut without re triggering the shortcut, just deactivate the original CTRL+R shortcut from the Keymap menu, and them assign it to the Loop Cut icon.

Don't forget to save the preferences, or the next time you open Blender, the shortcut will be gone.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @SonicBlue Thanks. I have it set like that now(didn't like the ctrl+R mapping anyway) It seems that if you don't deactivate ctrl+R you can use both ways with 2 different hotkeys. The only problem with hotkeying the button is that it isn't modal so you can't exit the tool and have to select another tool like box select to escape. Edit: just decided to use the regular LC+Slide, but assign my own hotkey. Surprised there isn't a Swiftloop addon seeing as there issuch a cry for Setflow.
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    @SonicBlue Thanks. I have it set like that now(didn't like the ctrl+R mapping anyway) It seems that if you don't deactivate ctrl+R you can use both ways with 2 different hotkeys. The only problem with hotkeying the button is that it isn't modal so you can't exit the tool and have to select another tool like box select to escape. Edit: just decided to use the regular LC+Slide, but assign my own hotkey. Surprised there isn't a Swiftloop addon seeing as there issuch a cry for Setflow.
    Having different shortcuts allows you to assign W E R to Move, Rotate and Scale, while rotate will have the same shortcut (in this case), G and S will still be available for quick editing, standard R never worked well for me, especially in orthographic view.
    It is strange, though, that the standard behaviour for every "icon" tool is totally different from when you use the tool with a shortcut, I too use W to exit them, or it won't let me select anything, like while using the transform gizmos.
  • RaphaelBarros
    Offline / Send Message
    RaphaelBarros polycounter lvl 2
    Pablo Dobarro has opened a Patreon! Let's show him the support he deserves for pushing Blender's sculpt mode to the next level!

• LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    As promised, here's my take on @kio's UV highlight addon. Simple features, but great addition!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th-_APWmKKM
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Hi! Making the switch to Blender as well. Lots of good features! Still waiting on some but still enough to be worth it.

File: import/export doesn't show me anything for fbx/obj/others in 2.8 even tho the add-on is enabled, is it a bug? People on Blender discord recommended me doing my imports in 2.79 and then importing my project into 2.8 from there. Does anyone know a work around this with the current 2.8 build?

Like if anyone knows an add-on to drag and drop stuff from the Blender file browser to the viewport, that would be lit. For now doing so on an .fbx just imports a pink plane into my scene.

Thanks! great thread learnt lots from you guys!

• Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    thought I would cross-post my feature wish list from blenderartists. Blender is sooo close to being exceptional. It's all these little features on the margin that cause me to go back to modo sometimes.

https://youtu.be/6WtwS8UzQ3M

Object Creation: Qblocker does a great job of doing what vanilla Blender should do, easily alter where and how objects are added to the scene. When primitives are added you should be able to alter the segments without tinkering in a menu.

Mirroring: Quickly mirror by world axis and the ability to mirror selected polygons using an edge selection in one click.

Loop cut: should have pinch factor and the ability to only cut selected edges. The subdivide workaround for this isn’t a true solution as it lacks any options.

Bevel Shader: If this could recreate the rounded edge shader in modo it would amazing. Needs to work with intersecting geo.

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @Deforges : the round edge shader is here already. It can be baked, works on intersecting geo, and its intensity can be controlled by vertex colors. It's called the Bevel node.
  • Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    @Deforges : the round edge shader is here already. It can be baked, works on intersecting geo, and its intensity can be controlled by vertex colors. It's called the Bevel node.
    You can watch the video for what I'm talking about exactly. For the bevel node you have to have intersecting Geo in the same object and it's effect is weak imo compared to other packages
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Having spent a week last year thoroughly testing Modo and the rounded edge bake workflow, it was the unsatisfactory results which ultimately led me to Blender. Much better results with none of the certain internal corner artifacts that Modo suffers from. Not to mention Modo is(was in the version I used) a crashfest, has a laughable viewport performance, and simple .fbx imports from Max were a nightmare and unusable.

I wouldn't call these results weak

• Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have a modo trial I'd love to see your comparison shots because mine show rounded edge as clearly superior. 

keep in mind, i'm just saying how these tools can be improved. We don't need to knee-jerk defend a tool, not saying you are, because we like blender.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a bit of a misunderstanding going on here. The issue is not about the fine differences between each implementation ; but rather, the fact that if a Blender dev comes accross a wishlist stating "Bevel shader", then the request may very well be ignored (and probably rightfully so) because it is already present.

Put differently ... the best way to get exactly the options/features you want is to describe them in full detail, and avoiding any subjective description like "improved" or "clearly superior" as these are meaningless to an engineer (especially when the provided screenshots are not using the same radius to begin with ...)

As for the behavior of it only affecting parts within a given object as opposed to blending accross scene objects: IIRC this was an intentional design/implementation, probably to give user very stragithforward control as to what blends and what doesn't so I wouldn't bet on it being changed anytime soon. Although admittedly the behavior was different in older builds - can't quite recall if there was a way to prevent interpenetrating objects from looking blended though.
  • Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior the video I posted is supposed to express what I feel could be improved. Those summaries are quick descriptors of those points.

The radiuses - They are close and demonstrate the shading issues that occur with bevel shader. Modo renders the Geo as rounded where the bevel shader appears to simply draw over the Geo to make it appear rounded. The illusion works well in a lot of causes but at extreme angles it doesnt. This is an area for improvement. 

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Deforges sorry, I don't have the trial. I'm a Max user who was looking for a baked bevel workflow and Modo failed on several levels. I have no bias or attachment to either software. I was simply looking for the best solution and Blender was it, for me. 

Your comparison seems biased in favour of Modo. My result isn't a Cycles render of the shader, it's a baked normal map. Modo simply fails on internal corners and it's a known issue with the shader that has never been resolved. It is even visible in your own example above.

This video is in Russian, but clearly shows the issues

• Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    pior said:
    ... its intensity can be controlled by vertex colors. It's called the Bevel node.
    @pior
    great, completely missed that, since when is it possible? That was one of my issues with the shader. Though I would prefer to have it controlled by a value like crease or bevel weight, it's great we can control it at all.
    Just gave it a try and transitions between intensity look fine as well.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that stuff is pretty neat - afaik it's been possible for a while, I think I remember playing with this sort of stuff in a custom 2.79 build already.

As for passing edge crease data and/or bevel weight data rather than vertex color : I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible already since it's just a matter of accessing the data really. No idea what the name of such attributes are though (if any) ...

[edit] Bakes fine too of course -
    https://imgur.com/DvNY8ad

• Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    pior said:
    As for passing edge crease data and/or bevel weight data rather than vertex color : I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible already since it's just a matter of accessing the data really. No idea what the name of such attributes are though (if any) ...

Last time I checked, that data couldn't be accessed through the material editor, the list of available attributes is quite short actually.
  • Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    @Deforges sorry, I don't have the trial. I'm a Max user who was looking for a baked bevel workflow and Modo failed on several levels. I have no bias or attachment to either software. I was simply looking for the best solution and Blender was it, for me. 

Your comparison seems biased in favour of Modo. My result isn't a Cycles render of the shader, it's a baked normal map. Modo simply fails on internal corners and it's a known issue with the shader that has never been resolved. It is even visible in your own example above.

This video is in Russian, but clearly shows the issues

@musashidan I have seen your tribulations throughout your journey scattered across some blenderartists threads lol. I also remember you pointing out a long time ago that when everyone was oogling over live-booleans in some package, that max had them for years. 

I admittedly haven't tried out the baked result but there's also times you don't ever need to leave cycles. If that's the baked result, it looks pretty great, It'd be nice if the shading could be improved in cycles to match. 

I wouldn't be using blender if I was biased towards modo. Even in my video, which I'm just going to assume no one will ever watch and just forever go off the summary points, I point out that there are artifacts when at a 90 degree angle. It displays better, in my opinion, in it's renderer than compared to cycles and IIRC eevee has not integrated the bevel shader and it seems like it would take a lot of work to do so.

I will say you can't accurately learn and judge Modo in a week. For all its shortcomings, which is why I primarily use blender now, it is insanely customize-able, context-sensitive, and makes modeling things very fast. Blender can't and shouldn't be developed in a vacuum. There are reasons and logic to the decisions they make, like why earlier versions defaulted to RMB select, but people voice their opinions and things change. I can only voice my preferences, the logic behind them, and leave it to the devs. 
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Deforges said:
    If you have a modo trial I'd love to see your comparison shots because mine show rounded edge as clearly superior. 

keep in mind, i'm just saying how these tools can be improved. We don't need to knee-jerk defend a tool, not saying you are, because we like blender.
    Cycles has issues with the shading of low poly models at grazing angles and harsh lights, like suns, Most probably that is the issue on this cylinder, not the bevel shader itself. You can get that issues on high poly models as well, but they are not that obvious, due to the face size.
    Bigger light sources and more geo helps to counter that.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Deforges Well, I firmly believe 2.80 deserves plenty of tribulations. It is a fantastic piece of software(obviously free) and the devs are doing a great job in transforming it into a serious option in the industry(not sure what point you're making about Max Proboolean, though?)

The baked results are all I'm interested in. Arnold and Corona in Max have a bevel shader, no MikkT baking yet, so that's why I've been on a mission looking for alternatives.

As for Modo, that week was spent entirely on testing the bevel shader baking workflow, nothing else. I learned and used Modo for multiple projects back in version 7 and 8(when it was exciting) Seems to have suffered since being acquired by the Foundry.

• Michael Knubben
    Prime8 said:
    pior said:

Last time I checked, that data couldn't be accessed through the material editor, the list of available attributes is quite short actually.
    I haven't tested if this can be applied to Crease or Bevel edge data, but consider this solution: https://blender.stackexchange.com/a/109099/253

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, that's pretty clever ! Basically sorting rounding radius by V coordinates in an extra UV channel ... and simply moving chunks up and down to adjust radius at will.

At first it sounds like a bit of a convoluted workaround, but in practice I could see this being just as efficient or even faster than painting VCs since it wouldn't require to enter a special mode and would give instantaneous feedback. Pretty cool, gotta try it.
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    I haven't tested if this can be applied to Crease or Bevel edge data, but consider this solution: https://blender.stackexchange.com/a/109099/253

How the hell did someone come up with that idea? Very nice, need to give that a try.

pior said:
    At first it sounds like a bit of a convoluted workaround, but in practice I could see this being just as efficient or even faster than painting VCs since it wouldn't require to enter a special mode and would give instantaneous feedback. Pretty cool, gotta try it.
    That and you have to possibility for direct numerical input as well.

Edit: quickly tested it, I like it a lot.
    It's possible that way to assign intensity by face and split the vertices, might be useful if it bakes nicely, but it can cause errors easily, watch out.
  • Michael Knubben
    It's non-destructive, as well! There are addons that can bake one type of data to another, but here it's just cleverly stored where you might not expect it... and updates whenever you change the source data.
  • Defunct
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    You guys seen this yet? Interactive cloth sim for blender

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I downloaded Blender 2.8 yesterday and was looking into adding my own scripts to custom keyboard hotkeys, but there are gaps in my understanding that the Blender documentation isn't explaining well enough to a dumbass like me. 

For starters, all the scripts I've been finding that should be printing stuff somewhere aren't doing so and I wonder if either I am not doing something correctly or 2.80 has changed the way things work.

-The initial HelloWorld from the link above isn't displaying anything for me when enabling/disabling as the docs say it should. It does display the message when installing "Modules Installed () from 'C:\\myStuff\\Programs\\Blender\\BlenderScripts\\HelloWorld.py' into 'C:\\Users\\justo.figueroa.ruiz\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\scripts\\addons'" , but nothing else. No HelloWorld messages in the viewport that I can see, nor in the Python Console, or the Info Window (don't even know which one I should be looking at for these kinds of messages).

-I also found this template, which seems to be sort of what I want:

bl_info = {
        "name": "Work Macro",
        "category": "Object",
    }

import bpy

class WorkMacro(bpy.types.Operator):
        """Work Macro"""
        bl_idname = "object.work_macro"
        bl_label = "Work Macro"
        bl_options = {'REGISTER', 'UNDO'}

def execute(self, context):

print("do work here")

return {'FINISHED'}

# store keymaps here to access after registration
    addon_keymaps = []

def register():
        bpy.utils.register_class(WorkMacro)

# handle the keymap
        wm = bpy.context.window_manager
        km = wm.keyconfigs.addon.keymaps.new(name='Object Mode', space_type='EMPTY')
        kmi = km.keymap_items.new(WorkMacro.bl_idname, 'NUMPAD_0', 'PRESS', ctrl=False, shift=False)
        addon_keymaps.append(km)

def unregister():
        bpy.utils.unregister_class(WorkMacro)

# handle the keymap
        wm = bpy.context.window_manager
        for km in addon_keymaps:
            wm.keyconfigs.addon.keymaps.remove(km)
        # clear the list
        del addon_keymaps[:]

if __name__ == "__main__":
        register()
    To my understanding, the above script should:
    *be able to be installed like an add-on via Preferences>Add-ons
    *be able to be installed via Run Script in Blender's Text Editor (only thanks to the last two lines)
    *after installation, be able to print "do work here" (though I do not know in which window/panel) by pressing numpad 0 while in Object Mode. 

I really just want a template by which I could install scripts as add-ons, then manually assign the hotkeys myself in the Keymap section. I know that for that to occur I should modify the above 'keymap section' of the code, though I do not know how to. However, before even getting to any of that, once again I do not see any print messages with this script either. What obvious things am I missing?

If mods want me to I can create a separate thread in the Coding section. I just thought here more Blender gurus would read this faster.

• Idlero
    Offline / Send Message
    Idlero polycounter lvl 10

script work as described, try to use Templates from text editor, have fun ;)https://docs.blender.org/api/blender2.8/ 
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    Since the Asset manager for blender is still on the roadmap, I decided to create a series to share some tools that help me to organize my life as a 3D modeler & artist! Today I'm reviewing the tool XYplorer, and how its been showing to be a great alternative to my file organization with Windows 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjVMW_cMqsc PS: For more that this can be applied to other packages, I'm posting this on the Blender thread because IMO its the coolest, and by this time Im already familiar with all you lurkers here. Yo

Peace
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Pretty cool thanks!
    Do you have any recommendations on asset / material libraries for Blender?

My perfect one would be kind of like a prefab system, with each blender file being load-able in any other, and drill-able (a key like "/" but that opens up the chosen asset .blend file for example...)
    Drag and drop-able .blend assets into the scene etc.
    Also I'd be looking for a better outliner, in the mean time they solve the current one if you have recommendations on this too ?

Thanks!
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @Idlero Thank you! So I had to be looking at the System Console, nice.

A few Qs if you or anyone reading this could answer...

1- If I install an add-on, and close the app without saving preferences, next time I open Blender the add-on will not be installed. Yet, I can still see the .py file that was installed in AppData remains. Is this file now useless and should manually be cleaned?

2- If I install that script via Add-on, I do not see the "object.work_macro" command in Preferences>Keymap. However, I can see it if I paste the script in the Text Editor and run it. What modifications does this script need to be able to be installed as an add-on?

3- Is there some sort of "package" I could work on, so that I can install a single add-on that would bring in multiple new commands, each one of these being its own separate .py file I could write and update regularly? Any names or pointers to search this would be appreciated.

• LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool thanks!
    Do you have any recommendations on asset / material libraries for Blender?

My perfect one would be kind of like a prefab system, with each blender file being load-able in any other, and drill-able (a key like "/" but that opens up the chosen asset .blend file for example...)
    Drag and drop-able .blend assets into the scene etc.
    Also I'd be looking for a better outliner, in the mean time they solve the current one if you have recommendations on this too ?

Thanks!
    Those are parts that Blender lacks so far. They have a planned asset management integration on their roadmap.
    Meanwhile, Check out this addon from @wazou

https://www.blendermarket.com/products/asset-management

Maybe that can help?
    Best
  • wazou
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 5
    Pistiwique to be exact, we work together, but pisti makes the code on the 2.8 version!
    2.8 version will be awesome!
  • Kip McSkipster
    Offline / Send Message
    Kip McSkipster polycounter lvl 13
    I haven't been able to find this UV equivalent in Blender, wondering how people would do this. I have an island that when unfolded has some curvature. I want to have the bottom edge of the island straight, and to be able to unwrap the rest of the island without "disrupting" the bottom edge, in effect getting the other UVs to "straighten out" relative to the bottom edge. The way I do this in Maya is to align the bottom UVs (I know how to do that in Blender), then use Legacy Unfold set to vertical to unfold the rest of the UVs. Any suggestions on the second part in Blender (or even a whole other approach to get the same end result)?

• xrg
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    The easiest way would be to use the TexTools add-on. If you're using 2.8, there is a recent port here.
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    I haven't been able to find this UV equivalent in Blender, wondering how people would do this. I have an island that when unfolded has some curvature. I want to have the bottom edge of the island straight, and to be able to unwrap the rest of the island without "disrupting" the bottom edge, in effect getting the other UVs to "straighten out" relative to the bottom edge. The way I do this in Maya is to align the bottom UVs (I know how to do that in Blender), then use Legacy Unfold set to vertical to unfold the rest of the UVs. Any suggestions on the second part in Blender (or even a whole other approach to get the same end result)?

After aligning the bottom UVs you can try to pin them and unwrap again. 
    Look at "Follow active quad" as well, depending on what you want to achieve, it might give a better result.

Of course TexTools is very good, but knowing the core functions is important still imho.