Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Kerub said:
    Guys I made 2 new vids,
    1st is a uncut recording of actual work that I go along when dealing with relatively complex shapes, and the 2nd is a brief talk about workflow and baking down bevels in cycles to be imported into Substance Painter.
    Remember kids, to avoid Tangent Space Normal artifacts in Cycles using the Bevel node your low poly assets always needs a Edge Split modifier! Cheers  <3

Interesting, I haven't used the Edge Split modifier for a long time, now it has a purpose again, thanks.
    Usually I would have duplicated the mesh and bake from one (with bevel shader) to the other.

If you don't want to keep the Edge Split modifier, you can get rid of it after baking and use auto smooth.
    Figured out that it is possible to bake custom normals the same way, not sure what use that might have though...

Would be great to have a way to control the bevel shader radius via bevel weight, but afaik that's not possible still.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    TheFlow said:
    They are supposed to come in at around 3 months from the 2.8 release. See here: https://code.blender.org/2019/04/2-80-release-plan/
    I never understood why this wasn't added  like years ago. If I remember it was something they kept saying they would add but gets pushed back everytime. I am wondering if this won't get pushed back again till say 2 years later.
  • TheFlow
    Offline / Send Message
    TheFlow polycounter lvl 9
    I don't think they will push it back again. They kept lots of patches out of the code because they knew that a lot of the structure how blender is programmed will be changed from 2.79 to 2.8x. After the initial release of the stable version of 2.80 I guess it moves quickly. From what I (think) I've heard, the patch of the UDIMS is done and they only need to implement it. Adaptive sampling for cycles for example is also on the way. Can't wait for the first release candidate, UDIMs and all those other features are needed for sure. And Redshift is coming to Blender also. Gotta be a cool year for Blender users :)
  • Belzzebozz
    Offline / Send Message
    Belzzebozz polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, @TheFlow - Do you know anything regarding blender redshift development? Couldn't find any useful information since redshift devs
    asked for help/support ( i think it was at blender-artist ). Hope they didn't get demotivated based on the comments under Andrews twitter post.  ;)
  • DaveW
    Offline / Send Message
    DaveW polycounter lvl 14
    StormyBA said:
    I've recently decided to give blender a go with the release of 2.8 but being a user of other packages for a long ass time there are a a couple of things holding me back from really enjoying it and I'm curious if there are many quick fixes!

Is it possible to default move, rotate and scale tool gizmo to be more Classic Maya and then use the Default as a secondary, in essence flipping the current setup? I kinda get it but it feels like a bit of a barrier to entry right now.  
    Realise this is going back over a month but I've been in the exact same predicament - 2.8 finally has an interface I want to use, but Blender's non-standard keybinds and behaviour is putting me off. However, I did manage to get around this particular quirk.

I found the quick tool buttons to the left of the viewport have the correct behaviour (pressing the move tool brings up a gizmo) and hovering over it says that it's shortcut is G. But when you press G, you actually get different behaviour (gizmo-less). IMO this is a bit of a design flaw because G is not the shortcut for the move tool you select from the interface.

You can fix it by right clicking and "Assign Shortcut" - set it to whatever you want, I used the standard W/E/R - and it should then work. Pressing W will bring up the gizmo for the current object or element you have selected. You have to do this for both Object and Edit mode, though.
  • xrg
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    Recent builds should ship with the "Industry Compatible" keymap. Might be easier for some people here. Generally speaking, they're still tweaking a lot of UI/UX stuff.
  • DaveW
    Offline / Send Message
    DaveW polycounter lvl 14
    xrg said:
    Recent builds should ship with the "Industry Compatible" keymap. Might be easier for some people here. Generally speaking, they're still tweaking a lot of UI/UX stuff.
    That looks pretty promising, I remember Blender 2.79b had default keymaps for 3DSMax and Maya style, but I guess they were a bit too cumbersome to keep updated for 2.8 with all the UI changes. I think this should make switching between apps a lot easier.

Not sure it will fix the gizmo-less move disparity - since according to the UI, clicking on the move tool should be the same behaviour as 'G' (it isn't) - but definitely solves the problem of having to change a bunch of keymappings to get used to the application.

Just tried the April 21st build and the industry compatible keymap fixes all of this. W, E, and R now switch straight to the Move, Rotate, and Scale gizmos as you would expect in any other app.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    TheFlow said:
    I don't think they will push it back again. They kept lots of patches out of the code because they knew that a lot of the structure how blender is programmed will be changed from 2.79 to 2.8x. After the initial release of the stable version of 2.80 I guess it moves quickly. From what I (think) I've heard, the patch of the UDIMS is done and they only need to implement it. Adaptive sampling for cycles for example is also on the way. Can't wait for the first release candidate, UDIMs and all those other features are needed for sure. And Redshift is coming to Blender also. Gotta be a cool year for Blender users :)
    Cool. Only time will tell. I gather Blender is now getting a lot of consideration from well established studios with 2.8 release.
    I hope the stable version gets released soon bc I am tired tbh of getting a new version and noticing the UI and icons has been changed again.
  • xrg
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    July is the planned release for 2.8. Blog post about it here.
  • m_asher
    Offline / Send Message
    m_asher node
    DaveW said:

I found the quick tool buttons to the left of the viewport have the correct behaviour (pressing the move tool brings up a gizmo) and hovering over it says that it's shortcut is G. But when you press G, you actually get different behaviour (gizmo-less). IMO this is a bit of a design flaw because G is not the shortcut for the move tool you select from the interface.

You can fix it by right clicking and "Assign Shortcut" - set it to whatever you want, I used the standard W/E/R - and it should then work. Pressing W will bring up the gizmo for the current object or element you have selected. You have to do this for both Object and Edit mode, though.

Since blender uses a hierarchical context system for its operators, you can finesse this by changing what context you add your shortcuts to. You have to do it via preferences, rather than the right click menu, though, and it isn't the most user-friendly system in the world. In this case, your best bet is to add entries to 3D View (Global) that call wm.tool_set_by_id with builtin.move, builtin.rotate, and builtin.scale as their identifiers.

Blender 2.8 treats your active tool as a context for calling operators, too, which means you can add shortcuts that are only active when you have that tool selected. This means that you could build a keymap where pressing W/E/R changes your active tool the first time your press it, and then calls the relevant operator directly the second time you press it.

• wazou
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys, I made a new Blender Non-destructive tutorial ;)
    https://youtu.be/-iNlvTfZIg8
  • TheFlow
    Offline / Send Message
    TheFlow polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, @TheFlow - Do you know anything regarding blender redshift development? Couldn't find any useful information since redshift devs
    asked for help/support ( i think it was at blender-artist ). Hope they didn't get demotivated based on the comments under Andrews twitter post.  ;)
    Sorry it took a little, didn't check the thread sooner. All my information about RS is coming from the official Redshift User Forum, here's the link for everyone with an account on the RS forums. 
    https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/11236/P345/
    Back to your question: they will keep the development going and I think it might still take a few months until we see an alpha or beta version of RS working with Blender. Maxon is a money maker and to me it makes sense they still offer their render engine to other packages. Like Autodesk did with Arnold. But I am pretty sure the best integration of RS will still be C4D since Redshift is their own software now. 
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Long time lurker here, haven't really kept up with Blender for a long time now. But correct me if I'm wrong, this Miter Bevelling is basically what Quad-Chamfer is in 3DSMax, right..? If so, that's bloody awesome, the Blender bevel modifier is something I've had a gripe with for ages!

Even went as far as trying to use my Python WebApp knowledge to try and correct it myself...
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    LuisCherubini interpolator
    The Bezier Mesh Shaper by @RN is proving to be inherent to the way I model nowadays :)

https://gumroad.com/l/bezier_mesh_shaper

Made this little 10min explanation of its main features:

https://youtu.be/h2ppUpTUVKs
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @cookedpeanut not quite. Max 2020 chamfer mod has taken it to the next level with the new features added.
  • IgorKlints
    Offline / Send Message
    IgorKlints polycounter lvl 4
    Hi all, i've made small addon for `Bake 3D Cursor orientation to your object`. You'll can find the same very useful tool in Maya wich call 'Bake Pivot'. I hope it will be helpful in your work!
    Link for download : https://gumroad.com/l/IESDi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJTBYCr8Zjo
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Hi all, i've made small addon for `Bake 3D Cursor orientation to your object`. You'll can find the same very useful tool in Maya wich call 'Bake Pivot'. I hope it will be helpful in your work!
    Link for download : https://gumroad.com/l/IESD

Didn't know the 3D cursor has a rotation in 2.8, nice.
    This add on is basically doing a "set origin to cursor" but considers the rotation as well, is that correct?

Would be nice if they extend the usability of the cursor rotation as well, e.g. new object align to the rotation, add numeric input.
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    I guess that you copied the wrong link into the post... But I like Lord of The Rings so, why not, I guess...
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
     The last letter seems to be missing from that Bake Cursor link -
    https://gumroad.com/l/IESDi

Looking extremely useful !!

[edit] - ha, oddly enough here on 2.8 (2019-03-02) I am not getting the proper surface orientation when placing the cursor on a surface - hence not getting the correct transform after clicking Bake Cursor. Not a problem with the addon itself of course (it is properly applying the information provided by the cursor) - just likely a 2.8 bug.
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Prime8 said:

Didn't know the 3D cursor has a rotation in 2.8, nice.
    This add on is basically doing a "set origin to cursor" but considers the rotation as well, is that correct?

Would be nice if they extend the usability of the cursor rotation as well, e.g. new object align to the rotation, add numeric input.
    I was just looking for something like this! Thank you :D
  • MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    Preview of a tool to convert Grease Pencil strokes into panel decals in DECALmachine.

Blender's GP line tool, actually works on curved surfaces now, so I won't even have to port my Tape tool over.  I hope there is a polygon tool coming however.

There's also some MESHmachine at the end(Unbevel, Fuse, Unf*ck). Turns out my chamfer and fillet toolset, works perfectly for panel decals (poly strips).

• IgorKlints
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess that you copied the wrong link into the post... But I like Lord of The Rings so, why not, I guess...

Hey, it's funny i had missed one leater `i` in the end of my link )) thanks.

pior said:
     The last letter seems to be missing from that Bake Cursor link -
    https://gumroad.com/l/IESDi

Looking extremely useful !!

[edit] - ha, oddly enough here on 2.8 (2019-03-02) I am not getting the proper surface orientation when placing the cursor on a surface - hence not getting the correct transform after clicking Bake Cursor. Not a problem with the addon itself of course (it is properly applying the information provided by the cursor) - just likely a 2.8 bug.
    Ok, yeah b2.8 has this is problem, dev guys should fix it.

I've find way get around this problem, waht we need to do:

1. For first we must dive into edit object mode,
    2. then selected one element of object 'Face, Edge or Vertices'
    3. Set cursor orientation to 'transform' ( top left corner) and switch on 'transform orientation' on 'Normal'.
    4. turn on our move 'GIZMO'
    5. and for now if we to align 3d cursor with snaping by any area of model, we will get correct 3d cursor orientation by normals
    Prime8 said:

Yes you right that 'considers the rotation'. This is similar tool what has Maya which called 'Bake Pivot'. I maya guy so..)

```Would be nice if they extend the usability of the cursor rotation as well, e.g. new object align to the rotation, add numeric input.```
    Dev guys should fix this is situation.
    MACHIN3 said:
    Preview of a tool to convert Grease Pencil strokes into panel decals in DECALmachine.

Blender's GP line tool, actually works on curved surfaces now, so I won't even have to port my Tape tool over.  I hope there is a polygon tool coming however.

There's also some MESHmachine at the end(Unbevel, Fuse, Unf*ck). Turns out my chamfer and fillet toolset, works perfectly for panel decals (poly strips).

So cool work Man. Look forward you will release it for 2.8. And i will push your tools for my work in studio.

• MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    So cool work Man. Look forward you will release it for 2.8. And i will push your tools for my work in studio
    Thanks man, FWIW, DECALmachine IS released for 2.8.  Just not this tool or exporting.
  • IgorKlints
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 said:
    So cool work Man. Look forward you will release it for 2.8. And i will push your tools for my work in studio
    Thanks man, FWIW, DECALmachine IS released for 2.8.  Just not this tool or exporting.
    Yeah i know about DECALmachine, but don't use this way in work yet. I'm waiting MeshMachine for 2.8. I know MM has for 2.7 but i just start from blender 2.8 and organised all there for my flow. Also wainting final release 2.8 without all bugs
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @MACHIN3

This greasepencil approach seems like the perfect logical culmination for panel line placement. It makes so much sense !

And to an extent it could also be very useful for retopo work, as it seems to produce perfectly aligned strips that could then be used as primary loops. Excellent stuff.

I could also imagine it being used for assets not relying on an external trim sheet. For instance : placing the intended panel lines using GP and DM, and then moving the UVs over a tiny tiling part of a regular texture. Then the only thing left to do is to cut in the strip into the model and voila, a standalone asset with a fully self-contained texture and perfect panel lines, without even the need to bake down the panel lines themselves.

Fantastic.

@IgorKlints : thanks for the tip ! For some reason this doesn't seem to work in the version I am using but I haven't tried the latest just yet, will investigate.

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Anyone else here having issues on Windows with Blender taking an eternity to start up (or to open the file dialog if the app is already running) if a network share is not/no longer accessible? I have been dealing with this for years but was hoping it would have been addressed by now - but latest official 2.79b and 2.80 still show this behaviour.

Cleaning out bookmarks and recent files as suggested does not help.
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    thomasp said:
    Anyone else here having issues on Windows with Blender taking an eternity to start up (or to open the file dialog if the app is already running) if a network share is not/no longer accessible? I have been dealing with this for years but was hoping it would have been addressed by now - but latest official 2.79b and 2.80 still show this behaviour.

Cleaning out bookmarks and recent files as suggested does not help.
    Nothing on my side, it starts actually really fast. For a second I thought you were actually talking about Maya.
    Have you tried on a different system? What are your specs at the moment?
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    It appears to be strictly a Windows problem and only happens when a mapped remote drive that was available at the start of a Blender session goes offline. From then on any new Blender instances are f*cked. Never had the issue on Mac when losing access to files from the other side. I don't have another Windows box to test.
    I can verify that the drive mapping has been removed and no files from that drive are stored in the recent files nor bookmark list. Fresh scene too so I am quite confused why it would still be holding out for the network at all.

• melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    This is freaking awesome. Blender is getting better and better by the day:
    Rigging made easy peasy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6NG_13RadU
    U could rig hair, cape, rope without a problem.
    Also animation sketch for blender 2.8:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3nmEjum8kg
  • ant1fact
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    This FreeIK stuff is nuts, it actually makes me want to animate stuff :cold_sweat::D
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact said:
    This FreeIK stuff is nuts, it actually makes me want to animate stuff :cold_sweat::D
    Yep, its like animating in 2d now. No more constraints on rigging to a large extent :wink:
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Is Free IK animating the bones directly, or does it use controllers? Reminds me of Animation Master from waaay back.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    @musashidan I think it animates the bones directly I haven't gotten it yet (very busy with other stuff). This is how rigging should have been from the very beginning The fact that u can pin any bone or group of bones opens up a lot of possiblities while animating. say u place a finger on the floor, u can pin that finger and adjust the rest of the body towards that finger, u can also move the root of the skeleton from one bone to the other.
    I intend to get it at some point. This is going to make rigging dope. I am just thinking of how easy it would be to rig and animate a motocycle using this.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @melviso for me it's not so much about the rig as it is about the animation workflow. How it handles gimble and inbetweens, especially as it seems to be an fk/ik/ragdoll hybrid. Animating bones directly can be a real pain, I'd much rather a controller GUI.

Definitely looks interesting though. I haven't animated a character in a while, but I'd live to try it.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    @musahidan Thats very true. Here is a vid showing animating with the addon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY2MrpxW7WU

It is the first release version. The dev will probbly add more features in time if the sales do well I hope. The bones are easy to select with xray mode turned on.so u don't select the mesh only the bones from what I see in the vid. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqTi1Hud7L4
    It works with objects too

I have been dabbing in character animation sort of recently and this makes the rigging aspect so much easier so its a huge start and very encouraging for those who want to animate but have found rigging to be quite technically technical.
  • musashidan
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message

The popular operator known as

Remove Doubles (2.79) has been renamed to Merge by Distance. (2.8)

And was moved from the vertices menu to the "Alt+M" shortcut along with merge at first, at center, etc...

Kinda of makes sense, it will confuse a lot of people tho.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message

The Bezier Mesh Shaper by @RN is proving to be inherent to the way I model nowadays :)

Yes, there's a similar script in Max, but honestly, Blender's Proportional Editing tool is so good that I wouldn't need it. PE in Blender is Sooooo much better than Max's equivalent - Soft Selection. I've actually made a fuss about it on the Max beta trying to get it to be like Blender. :)
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Is Free IK animating the bones directly, or does it use controllers? Reminds me of Animation Master from waaay back.
    Woo Hoo! My first 3d package. What a blast from the past.
  • Chunkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Hi all! 

I have started to make the transition from Max to Blender and after making the upgrade to 2.8, I found the learning experience to be even more pleasant and intuitive (I have been a max user since 2000/2001 and have to admit, got rather stuck in my ways- 2.8's UI feels more welcoming than previous versions and the team behind the latest UI changes need to be applauded for some common sense choices). 

I am currently evaluating whether I could use Blender 2.8 as part of my day job workflow, and so far it's ticking a lot of boxes. 

One of the issues I did have was that we use vertex animation for our assets and then export each frame of animation as single files, which then get exported via a proprietary system to a single file format. 

From what I understand, Blender 2.8 does not support as Animall has not been updated for 2.8, however I have managed to create a work around for not having vertex animation available, or importing vertex animated files via FBX or any other format and after a bit of research I found the following work-around which may be useful for others;

-In the original 3D app, select the meshes that use vertex animation and duplicate them.
    -Each duplicate mesh is set to a different keyframe of animation.
    -Export the working model and duplicates to FBX and import in to Blender. 
    -Use the duplicates as blend shapes for the working model. To do this, select the duplicates and finally the working model and from the Object Data tab in the properties area (on the right side of the screen on default UI layout), select the down arrow from the Shape Key section and select Join as Shape). Example of this process can be found here: [url]https://blenderartists.org/t/solved-3ds-max-morphing-targets-to-blender-shape-keys/500221[/url]

Another issue I am having and would appreciate some ideas on solving is that each of the blend shapes  that I have created now have their visibility powered by animation keyframes.

So now within the viewport, the correct blendshape appears as well as any dummies within the scene being moved to the correct position.

Another issue I have run in to is that Blender 2.8 seems to be broken. If I export the scene to FBX and import back in, the assets are less than 1/4 their original scale and orientation, animation keyframes are present in the timeline but are not animating. 

Are there any plugins for 2.8 that exports scenes with blendshapes and animation correctly or is it a case of waiting for Blender to update the internal exporter?   

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    Woo Hoo! My first 3d package. What a blast from the past.
    I never actually used it myself, but the first video tutorial I ever did on character animation was in AM. I followed along in Max and remember thinking how ahead of its time AM's animation system seemed at that time. 
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter

Blender's Proportional Editing tool is so good that I wouldn't need it. PE in Blender is Sooooo much better than Max's equivalent - Soft Selection. I've actually made a fuss about it on the Max beta trying to get it to be like Blender. :)
    Someone was trying to implement a color gradient for the weight of the influence for Blender's proportional editing. Looking forward to see it in the master branch of 2.8. https://devtalk.blender.org/t/gradient-vertex-color-for-proportional-editing/949

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @FourtyNights Nice. That fact that Blender's PE is dynamic is what makes it so good. Being able to adjust the influence with the mouse wheel as you see its effect is the single thing that makes it so effective and exactly what Max sift selection is missing.
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys and girls! I'm sharing this free resource that you can find over Oleg Ushenok's Gumroad: https://gumroad.com/olegushenok#uMSoy

Pretty much medium-poly, but can be good for general blockouts :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLJWRPnfadA
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @LuisCherubini Nice find. Just donated. You're right about the kitbash kits. I got an email from Furio Tedeschi asking if it was OK to use my Zbrush IMM Armour brush on concept work he was doing for the Transformers 5 film. If Furio can kitbash other peoples' models then anyone can! :D

As for the bevels on these models, MESHmachine would be perfect for that.

• Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Hey guys and girls! I'm sharing this free resource that you can find over Oleg Ushenok's Gumroad: https://gumroad.com/olegushenok#uMSoy

Pretty much medium-poly, but can be good for general blockouts :)

@LuisCherubini  Nice stuff indeed, though it looks like Blender has problems with the custom normals.
    You don't need to add the weighted normals modifier and activate sharp edges, just delete the custom normals and you get the same result with auto smooth.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Prime8 I'm getting identical smoothing using both FW custom normals+keep sharp, and clearing the imported normals and Autosmooth. Left is FW and right is Autosmooth

And here are the 3ds Max (custom)normals

• Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    @Prime8 I'm getting identical smoothing using both FW custom normals+keep sharp, and clearing the imported normals and Autosmooth. Left is FW and right is Autosmooth

And here are the 3ds Max (custom)normals

@musashidan Yes they are identical, that's what I wrote. I thought it might be better to remove the custom normals instead of using a modifier, performance wise and you can do it that way when using 2.7.

I just assumed the custom normals are not correct, because his screenshot looks much smoother around the bevels, but after seeing your 3ds Max screenshot, I think that might not be the case.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 said:
    Nice stuff indeed, though it looks like Blender has problems with the custom normals.

Sorry, I thought you were having trouble with the imported normals.
  • Jarvgrimr
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarvgrimr polycounter lvl 10
    I hope this is the right thread for this, but can anyone direct me as to how to 100% the weight of a bone on a selected mesh... I don't want to have to manually paint weights, and in 2.7 it looked like there was a UI section where I could select the bone, and just write 100% weight and it would apply to the whole mesh. Any help/thoughts?