Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Mudoxy said:
    Hi guys!
    I'm new to poly-modeling, and most of my theory I got from this exact thread, so I want to say thank you for the awesome advise and the time all of you spend teaching noobs like me and helping each other. <3

So here's my problem:
    I am modeling an old soviet airplane with a cylindrical fuselage (body), and at one point it has an indent, shaped like a smaller cylinder has been pushed in.

Kind of like this

Seems simple, but as soon as I start adding loops to harden the edges, I get all sorts of patterns, but none of them end up looking smooth.

The most obvious way out is to add two horizontal lines to finish the loops like this

But then the roundness of the cylinder is destroyed

I've tried indenting other shapes into a cylinder, but i just can't figure out a pattern that would work, leaving me with pretty 4-sided polygons.

Please, help!

• Mudoxy
    Thanks for the reply!
    So, I guess you are saying that i should increase the subdivisions on the "cylinder"?

Right now it looks something like this

So with the horizontal edges so far apart I wouldn't get the same result you have.

If I understood this correctly, by how much do you think I should I increase the subdiv (now its 18 edges)? Cause adding edges manually and adjusting them to the plane's profiles would take me ages.

I thought about splitting the mesh into 2 parts, with the front circular bit separate, so i could subdiv (or add edges) to them separately. But on the reference images the fuselage looks very smooth and seamless, so I thought I better leave it as a whole.
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Mudoxy said:
    Thanks for the reply!
    So, I guess you are saying that i should increase the subdivisions on the "cylinder"?

Right now it looks something like this

So with the horizontal edges so far apart I wouldn't get the same result you have.

If I understood this correctly, by how much do you think I should I increase the subdiv (now its 18 edges)? Cause adding edges manually and adjusting them to the plane's profiles would take me ages.

I thought about splitting the mesh into 2 parts, with the front circular bit separate, so i could subdiv (or add edges) to them separately. But on the reference images the fuselage looks very smooth and seamless, so I thought I better leave it as a whole.
    The main body is ok (primary shape), you could use less Segments, but secondary and threshery details usually tend to use more Edges. So for example, you start shaping out the main body without panels and indents. And notice (holy shit i need a panel here that is smaller then the body but larger then the screw hole next to it). What to do? 

You could use the floating technique i Invented.. (joke aside, but check out Floaters). Or you could, subdivide the main body you already have to get more segments to Work with. 
  • Mudoxy
    I'm not sure about the whole floating holes idea... can't quite imagine how I'd go around it, so I'll just cut more segments.
    The floating technique could work really well for other bits, so ill give it a try too.
    Cool, thanks!
  • Zablorg
    Offline / Send Message
    Zablorg polycounter lvl 6
    I sometimes see attempts made in this thread where an appropriate topology for subdivision isn't found, and may even be impossible- the Princess Peach crown a while back comes to mind. Is the last resort in these cases to use your software's creasing tool to create the sharper details where you need them to be?

I get the impression supporting topology is vastly preferred because creasing tools aren't reliably transferable across programs- but you've gotta use what works and ditch what doesn't right?
  • iacdxb
    Offline / Send Message
    iacdxb polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,
    Anyone can help me... how can I get sharp edges....? Thanks.

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    iacdxb said:
    Hi,

would you mind sending the obj or fbx? Could help better when  i see it. otherwise here's a little ex. 

• BI0H0G
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    hi i been having problems making this shape smooth 

here is the reference on what im modeling

• Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    @BI0H0G Next time show us your wireframe as well :smile:

You should try something more like this:

• PixelMagic
    I got a question if you can help me figure it out. I have an area that needs holding edges to keep a sharp panel line (marked in red). On the other side, I have a large cylinder that needs to smooth properly, so it can only have one edge running out (green). My solution for edge loop termination (blue) produces pinching and folding of the geometry after subdivision, as you can see. Any suggestions?

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    I got a question if you can help me figure it out. I have an area that needs holding edges to keep a sharp panel line (marked in red). On the other side, I have a large cylinder that needs to smooth properly, so it can only have one edge running out (green). My solution for edge loop termination (blue) produces pinching and folding of the geometry after subdivision, as you can see. Any suggestions?

cant really make out what it is you are making and therefore hard too help you with it. The pinching is very small it seems like.. When baked down it may even be less visible?

• VinnyAle
    hi guy´s
    im trying make some diagonal cuts in a cilinder  but don't success.

I researched somes soluctions here but i did not find it :neutral:

Im tryed 3x

My ref.

First try:

Second fry:

Third try:

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    VinnyAle said:
    hi guy´s
    im trying make some diagonal cuts in a cilinder  but don't success.

I researched somes soluctions here but i did not find it :neutral:

Im tryed 3x

My ref.

First try:

Second fry:

Third try:

modell it straight and use a twist modifier? 

• rage288
    Offline / Send Message
    rage288 polycounter lvl 7
    Exactly model them straight and then twist my dude

• CGStephanN
    Offline / Send Message
    CGStephanN polycounter lvl 6
    Hi! I'm a bit stuck on how I should go about modeling the sleeves for this tunic. What should I be looking out for in terms of topology? Does it need any extra bones aside from the ones assigned to the main body(Clavicle, shoulder, elbow, wrist, etc)?

Something I haven't considered is using corrective shapes but I've never used those before. (Are corrective shapes just blend shapes with a different name and purpose? Because if that's the case then I HAVE used blendshapes before :D ). Thank you in advance for all the help!

• King Mango
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10

Add your loops then starting from the cylinder edge weld/collaps the loops you added to the original cylinder edge until you get a triangle just before the edges you want to keep. then delete the small edge inside the triangle (that is a small part of the original cylinder radial edge)
  • iacdxb
    Offline / Send Message
    iacdxb polycounter lvl 6
    wirrexx said:
    iacdxb said:
    Hi,

would you mind sending the obj or fbx? Could help better when  i see it. otherwise here's a little ex. 

wirrexx said:
    iacdxb said:
    Hi,

• iacdxb
  • iacdxb
    Offline / Send Message
    iacdxb polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,
    Any know knows any good tutorial of shoes 3d modeling...?

Thanks.

• Zablorg
    Offline / Send Message
    Zablorg polycounter lvl 6
    iacdxb said:
    Hi,
    Any know knows any good tutorial of shoes 3d modeling...?

Thanks.

First image looks pretty good to me, and it looks like you're using that as reference. Are you having any specific problems?
  • Elarionus
    Offline / Send Message
    Elarionus polycounter lvl 3
    I'm trying to learn Modo, and my go-to when learning a new software is to try and model a gun, but this is making me want to put my head through a wall and give up. I used booleans to punch out all of the rectangular sections as well as the big cylinders. I've been going back through and triangulating it, but when I try to use Add Loop to give myself loops to connect to, it just destroys everything. I tried the auto triangulate method, and it gave me this insane topology. I'm not really sure what to do here.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Best non destructive workflow, is to add a continuous edge (Add Loop) when an object/shape is made up of quads not tri's or ngon's also unsure why you're triangulating in the first place, if I assume this is an initial blockout?! 
  • annee
    Hi, everyone! I have a problem with these holes (stars). I need to make them on a spherical shape, and I don't know how to do it correctly. After my attempts there are always some distortions. Guys, how would you model it?

Thank you!
  • EdToShred
    I'm a chronic topology murderer. I'm workin' on it... my question today is... I've got this piece where I cut some straight insets in that go against the direction of the cylinder lines. I redirected them for the deeper cut section. That seemed to work. What I'm wondering, what would be a more elegant way of joining the lines where the are intersecting at the edges of the insets? My current topology looks like finger painting in kindergarten.

• EdToShred
    annee said:
    Hi, everyone! I have a problem with these holes (stars). I need to make them on a spherical shape, and I don't know how to do it correctly. After my attempts there are always some distortions. Guys, how would you model it?

Thank you!
    My guess is you need to start with more segments on the cylinder. The distance from the points of the star to the edges is too far. That is what is causing the warping. The topology looks like it could work if you had more geometry.  If you look back through this thread there are a ton of examples of this kind of thing.
  • Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    EdToShred said:
    I'm a chronic topology murderer. I'm workin' on it... my question today is... I've got this piece where I cut some straight insets in that go against the direction of the cylinder lines. I redirected them for the deeper cut section. That seemed to work. What I'm wondering, what would be a more elegant way of joining the lines where the are intersecting at the edges of the insets? My current topology looks like finger painting in kindergarten.

If it smooths alright this way then there is nothing to worry about
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message

Hi Per, haven't seen you around here for a while plus awesome might take up your offer, always willing too learn and I promise to not take the piss :) so duly bookmarked...oh and Happy New Year, by the way :)

@annee your mesh is too low poly to support the cut, I'd advise adding more edge loops and segments.      

@EdToShred yeah ZIO is correct.

Also a tip learnt from an experienced artist kind enough to point me in the right direction, when I had an 'all quad' topology fixation:

""Any topology or wireframe that achieves your goals, is a good topology. Always consider what you are trying to achieve and time and resources you have."  - Ali Ismail

So really the sole intent of a hi res mesh is to bake down smoothing to a proxy (...low-poly) in other words if the topo looks like a horror show but at the same time no shading errors are thrown, then all good. There are a number of recent related discussions on this board that'll shed further light, anyways here's a sample:

https://polycount.com/discussion/208575/topology-standards-for-hard-surface-modeling#latest

Cheers.     

• iacdxb
    Offline / Send Message
    iacdxb polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,

Bottle cap part it is. Any idea how can I fix this without making cut up... and getting this small humps also...!

Thanks.

• HixaLupa
    Offline / Send Message
    HixaLupa triangle
    Hey, is it alright to ask about something gone weirdly wrong in Zbrush? Not topology related. if it's not by all means delete this post
    I imported some shapes from Maya and noticed a small gap between them when there is none in the maya scene. This turned out to be a real problem for texturing as it means there are blank spaces where the meshes have almost shrunk? Very odd, If anyone know why this might've happened or a fast solution that doesn't involve doing it all again (Kill me) please lmk! So far I only have scaling the tools in zbrush :confounded:

• ZeroBiit
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBiit polycounter lvl 5
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message

Guys seriously!

There are a range of solutions thoughtfully posted that are relevant to your particular issues on the previous half a dozen pages alone, so please I implore you too **STUDY** them thoroughly and the answer will I guarantee reveal itself in due course...

I don't always get it right first go, when sometimes not paying attention, that there are relative differences between planar and curved surface topology :blush:

• matt881
    Offline / Send Message
    matt881 polycounter lvl 9
    I've always had problems with these hard surface organic-look shapes. The problem is how to start with it, from bigger shapes, more subdivided or create it extruding vertex by vertex? It's hard to make moar geo cylinder and match his edges with all cuts visible on referenced object. Also how to make those holes (marked with red arrows) without techniques like floating mesh? 

• mveb1
    Hi, 
    Help me pls!

Thanks.
  • Thanez
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    @HixaLupa Those "gaps" shading looks awfully similar to your lowpoly's shading. I would guess that during your bake process, your cage (or lack thereof) is starting to capture the sculpted bits not at the edge of the lowpoly, but further into it. Check your cage and come back to me.
    @mveb1 and @iacdxb M8s these are classic "cutting a hole in cylinder" problems. There are no less than 10 solutions on the previous page of this thread :)
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message

Reiterating Thanez comment:

@matt881 & @mveb1, there indeed are related options that'll resolve your individual topo issues, either upthread or previous page respectively, I'd also suggest paying particular attention too those authored by wirrexx

• A_Seba
    Offline / Send Message
    A_Seba null
    I am trying to model a Steel rope using Loft but when I click 'get shape' the result is far too thick and doesn't match the size of my profile spline, what can I do to solve this? 

• A_Seba
    Offline / Send Message
    A_Seba null
    A_Seba said:
    I am trying to model a Steel rope using Loft but when I click 'get shape' the result is far too thick and doesn't match the size of my profile spline, what can I do to solve this? 

Workaround, seems like Loft will only follow the original size the profile was created, even if the profile is rescaled before applying Loft. 

So for anyone else who reads this, if you need to resize then delete your profile and draw a new one in the exact thickness you need, you cannot scale it.

Perhaps this is a bug?

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    A_Seba said:
    Perhaps this is a bug?
    No, it isn't a bug, it's lack of basic Max knowledge. You have to edit the spline at the sub-object level.
  • Thanez
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    Hiya, not-really-a-shape-but-a-technical-max-question here
    I'm aware that I can constrain vertex movement along the edges they're connected to, but this vertex is at a border, and I want to move it in red direction, which is equal to purple's angle.

• Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @Thanez - I use FunkyBunny's Sub-obj Pivot maxscript alot for this kinda situation http://www.funkybunnies3d.com/tools.php
  • Thanez
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    @Revel Thanks, that should suit my needs :)
  • abronee
    Offline / Send Message
    abronee polycounter lvl 4
    hi everyone. How can i keep the side of the helmet straight, while keeping the curvature on the back of the head?

Thanks in advance.
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    perna said:
    my imgur doesnt work anymore, what happened to all my stuff? anyway try this flow

I've got your "crap" folder saved up on my HDD , Uploading them to the dropbox and sharing them here if that's ok?
  • Pac_187
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    Thanez said:
    Hiya, not-really-a-shape-but-a-technical-max-question here
    I'm aware that I can constrain vertex movement along the edges they're connected to, but this vertex is at a border, and I want to move it in red direction, which is equal to purple's angle.

Since 3ds Max 2017 there's also a "Local Aligned" pivot mode, might work in this situation as well.

• Midnite
    Offline / Send Message
    Midnite polycounter lvl 4
    Hello everyone, I'm having a problem with bevel command in the Maya. When I try to apply the command, it creates the bevel with irregular face normals. The screenshot is below, does anyone know how to fix it? Thank you.

• sixbysix
    Offline / Send Message
    sixbysix polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, I'm trying to model some holes in a circle pattern but I'm having a hard time of making sense of where to connect the holes. Here's the thing I'm trying to model (a headphone driver) and my two attempts.

The first version was with eight vertice holes, the second one with six vertice holes. Everything feels chaotic and arbitrary. Any idea how to do this with order and sense?

Cheers!

/Edit Just now thinking wether the fact that I didn't rotate the holes is my problem. Right now they are all facing in exactly the same direction ...

Driver with holes

Attempt 1:

Attempt 2:

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    sixbysix said:
    Hi, I'm trying to model some holes in a circle pattern but I'm having a hard time of making sense of where to connect the holes. Here's the thing I'm trying to model (a headphone driver) and my two attempts.

The first version was with eight vertice holes, the second one with six vertice holes. Everything feels chaotic and arbitrary. Any idea how to do this with order and sense?

Cheers!

/Edit Just now thinking wether the fact that I didn't rotate the holes is my problem. Right now they are all facing in exactly the same direction ...

Driver with holes

Attempt 1:

Attempt 2:

Floaters, saves time, bakes down good, and gives you the result you need. And if that's not good enough, build your geometry with holes as quads. So let me walk you through this..
    First row is 24 holes right? check.
    make a plane (squarisch). Check
    Duplicate it 24 times in a row. Check
    inset and extrude faces inwards. Check
    Use bend modifier and do a 360 degree bend. 
  • sixbysix
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi wirrexx, thanks a lot for the hints! Much appreciated. I've never worked with floaters before but will check it out. Although in this case I'm afraid I need the physical holes. I've tried your bend workflow, here's my result.

The bend modifier is deforming the holes, combined with just four vertices for a circle it's unfortunately quite deformed. Also there's still the challenge of how to connect these rows in a proper way.

Another attempt I started was this:

/Edit: Here's my latest result. The best yet, I think. Still a lot of optimizing possible to get rid of as many poles and tris as possible.

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    sixbysix said:
    Hi wirrexx, thanks a lot for the hints! Much appreciated. I've never worked with floaters before but will check it out. Although in this case I'm afraid I need the physical holes. I've tried your bend workflow, here's my result.

The bend modifier is deforming the holes, combined with just four vertices for a circle it's unfortunately quite deformed. Also there's still the challenge of how to connect these rows in a proper way.

Another attempt I started was this:

/Edit: Here's my latest result. The best yet, I think. Still a lot of optimizing possible to get rid of as many poles and tris as possible.

Don't be afraid of ngones and tris on a flat surface, it will not deform bad or show bad shading, it's another thing if this would deform. Does it subdivide good? 
  • sixbysix
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx said:
    Don't be afraid of ngones and tris on a flat surface, it will not deform bad or show bad shading, it's another thing if this would deform. Does it subdivide good? 
    It does subdivide good (not at home at the moment, so unfortunately no screenshot). I’m just thinking "how would a pro do it".