Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    If only Blender had also a correct way to blend detail normal maps with baked ones, like what UE4 can do. (The top left normal map is simply flat, needed for this to work, did this with someone's guide if I remember right).
    There's been few node setups for Blender to achieve at least blending two or multiple normal maps together, but none of them have been working exactly right. Not to mention masking...

In cycles? I found a few node setups in the past as well, but wasn't very happy with them either.
    I just use a vector math average node to combine the normals, it's not 100% accurate but a very simple setup and you can control the blending strength and mask if needed. Will post example later.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @Prime8 Well yeah, Cycles too. But most importantly Eevee, since it's real-time as UE4 is (still both Cycles and Eevee share nodes in 2.8, so both of them should be working with the same node setup). Also for masking detail normal map from unwanted areas, would be cool to know as an additional node setup with the normal map blending as well. Like what Marmoset's "detail weight map" does, for example.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Didn't try Eevee yet, here is a quick example for Cycles.
    The cube has a normal map with a strong gradient on purpose to make shading issues more obvious, on a regular model they are not so visible.

Blending 2 normal maps on top, controlled by the strength value, which has to be doubled (strength 1 results in 0.5 of the original strength). The baked base normal map needs a fix strength of 2 and averaged with all additional normal maps, in this case twice.

Other example, two maps on a flat surface with checker as mask

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Is it possible to disable face highlighting when selecting groups of verts/edges? It is really annoying. If I want to select faces I'll go into face sub-object mode.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Edit 2: testing baking collections. Crashes Blender every time. I'm on the 31/12/18 build.
    Yikes, could you send me your .blend file? 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the error I'm getting now, mate. It only happens with collections. I can't send you the .Blend, sorry. It's work-related. I'm testing now on simple collections of primitives, so if I repro I'll send the .blend.

Also, it deletes all of the objects in the 'high_poly' collection from the scene and seems to randomly duplicate some of the objects in the 'low_poly' collection.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks, I've seen this error as well but had difficulty reproducing it reliably, I'll investigate more tonight. For now, what I think should work is making sure you have on of your objects selected when you press bake. 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @peris yes, I've tested with all collection objects selected. Same error. I'll keep trying. It's definitely a collections related error as baking single objects works perfectly.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    I think I have fixed it, I was able to reproduce it consistently on my end at least. Updated with fix: https://github.com/leukbaars/BRM-BakeUI
    One bug I'm still aware of is that it won't bake if your collections contain non-model objects, which I'll fix after cleaning up the code a bit first :)

• kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    Is it possible to disable face highlighting when selecting groups of verts/edges? It is really annoying. If I want to select faces I'll go into face sub-object mode.
    sadly this will probably not happen in quite some time (if ever), as blender is built around the idea that if something is selected its sub components are also selected - like selecting an edge means that its verts are selected too.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kio thanks, I had a feeling this would be the case. I suppose I'll just have to get used to it. Very annoying though if working in wireframe with ortho refs.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @peris nice. I'll test it now. I'm new to Blender terminology, what are 'non-modal' objects?

Edit: just tested on collections. Works fine. No errors or crashes. Just wondered what method are you using to occlude projection from different low/high pairs? That's why I asked above about 'match by mesh name' or match by bounding box. Or are you just using old-school explode baking?
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    @peris nice. I'll test it now. I'm new to Blender terminology, what are 'non-modal' objects?

Edit: just tested on collections. Works fine. No errors or crashes. Just wondered what method are you using to occlude projection from different low/high pairs? That's why I asked above about 'match by mesh name' or match by bounding box. Or are you just using old-school explode baking?
    I mean objects in your collection that are not a model, like a light or an empty. Blender will throw an error when you try to bake with those selected. Should be very easy to handle that in my tool though.

I'm not doing any exploding or hi/low pairing. It's something I may add in the future, if I decide the extra complexity is worth it. For now, I'm leaning towards keeping the tool simple!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @peris with the addition of 'match by mesh name' based paired low/high this addon should 100% be Blender's native baking tab.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Hmm, one way I could add it is as a little toggle next to the bake button.That wouldn't clutter up the UI. I'll add it to my todo list!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @peris sounds great. These days assets are made from multiple pieces so not having an auto-explode based on naming/bounding box/MatID severely limits your baking tool. Just my opinion. Otherwise, I think it's perfect.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Veezen said:
    Howard is working on bevel mitering feature:

https://devtalk.blender.org/t/gsoc-2018-bevel-improvements/440/130
    Happy to see that they are planning to implement mitering, one of the things I liked when working with C4D.
    The "harden normals" feature is awesome too.

Reminded me of something I wanted to share, probably most of you know already anyway.
    When working with subd I usually use a bevel modifier with 2 segments and profile set to 1 to create edgeloops and be able to change the size. If the surface is not completely flat, that can cause quite a bit of pinching, therefore I use a profile of 0.99 instead. Somehow the difference between 0.99 and 1 is quite big, not sure if that's a bug, the width has to be lowered to get a similar sharpness. 
    Excited to see which results we can get with different miters in the future.

• Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    @Prime8 Bevel in blender 2.8 have a harden normal and other new options. Abou this pinching happening there, sometimes in profile 1 for some reason the middle edge get a little bumped, thats may be causing the problem there. 

Also, can you show the topology? the surface looks awfully good on the bottom for subdiv+bevel modifier xd. 
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    When using profile 1 on curved surfaces, I think the pinching comes from the edge being "too flat" and not following the curvature.
    The topo was very simple, didn't actually save that thing, here another one.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Am I missing something here? Not behaving correctly at all.

And how the topology should look(this is from Max)

• Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    We have updated AssetGen (a completely free addon) now you select your high poly(s) and it exports a game asset to your game engine in glb or glTF, you just have to work on your high poly, the entire workflow to make it game ready is automated. You can edit your high poly and instantly see your game asset getting updated in your game.
    Careful: it only works well on stylized static assets without inner geometry, like environments and props.

To use the file format glb or glTF you will need UniGLTF, there is a tutorial:

The addon also includes many new tools to help you create your high polys faster:

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Am I missing something here? Not behaving correctly at all.

And how the topology should look(this is from Max)

@musashidan
    It's not the holy grail, but works in many situation and the shading is fine as you can see, even though the topology is not the ideal. We hopefully come closer to that once mitering is in 2.8, I was still referring to 2.7.  The bevel weight has some limitations to, but can be used as well.
    If I need ideal topology I still have to do that manually in Blender and will not be able to change the sharpness by any parameter.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Prime8 Yeah mate, Chamfer(Bevel) modifier + Sub-D is an essential part of my hard-surface workflow in Max. I've been testing modeling in Blender 2.80 these last few weeks to see how it stacks up against Max. Max's Chamfer(Bevel) modifier and InsetSG modifier are by far the best I've seen so far for this kind of work. I'm just wondering did you manually reroute some topo on your examples? Without the mitering the topology in Blender's Bevel mod is pretty bad so I'm assuming you did.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @Prime8 Thanks for the normal map blending setup, that's not bad-looking at all. ;)
  • Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    @musashidan i could not manage to get that overlap on 2.8, but worry not, the mitering is already looking good for subdiv users. 
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    @Prime8 Yeah mate, Chamfer(Bevel) modifier + Sub-D is an essential part of my hard-surface workflow in Max. I've been testing modeling in Blender 2.80 these last few weeks to see how it stacks up against Max. Max's Chamfer(Bevel) modifier and InsetSG modifier are by far the best I've seen so far for this kind of work. I'm just wondering did you manually reroute some topo on your examples? Without the mitering the topology in Blender's Bevel mod is pretty bad so I'm assuming you did.
    @musashidan  You can see the topology on my screenshot and the modifier stack is the same as above, didn't reroute or add anything. The bevel topology doesn't look good, but seems to work with subd, you can try it.
    Anyway we don't have to wait long for the nice additions to the bevel modifier.
    FourtyNights said:
    @Prime8 Thanks for the normal map blending setup, that's not bad-looking at all. ;)
    Good, let me know if it works for you or if you find any way to improve it.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Udjani nice :) what build are you using? The build from the gif above is Jan 17th.
  • Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    @musashidan. Just downloaded the latest today. 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Udjani Just grabbed today's build. Mitreing is still behaving strangely on curved surfaces.

EDIT: just doing some more testing and it seems that the cylinder result below is actually correct. My example above from Max is using the InsetSG modifier and not the Chamfer(Bevel) modifier. Max does have another algorithm, but I can't show it as it's from beta.

Cylinder;

Still getting some weird topology errors

• Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    @musashidan Oh yes, if you have an edge or more conneceted the algorithm don't know what to do with it, they were discussing it if that edge should connect with the two edges on the sides or the middle like the max example. Will probably be solved in the next few days.

If you want to take a look at the discussion: https://devtalk.blender.org/t/gsoc-2018-bevel-improvements/440/173
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    @Linko I admire your work and persistence, AssetGen is incredibly helpful for small teams. I have a small question, would it be possible to generate the diffuse texture based on a Workbench render instead of EEVEE/Cycles? Sometimes I get a nice look and feel with Workbench which I would love to transfer to a low-poly. Thanks a lot and have a nice day
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @musashidan thanks for putting in all the effort into testing the bevel modifier! I am sure your feedback does not go unnoticed
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ant1fact It's a pleasure. I love messing around with new 3D tools. ;)

@Udjani Yeah mate. After more testing the mitering is still very buggy. I'll have a read through the thread you linked. Thanks.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter

Works like a charm with both blending two normal maps and flipping the Y-channel with "RGB Curves", thank you a lot. My normal maps were already having X+, Y- and Z+, so I inverted the curves to get Y+. I tested this on my previous character porject's hoodie. It has albedo (base color), metalness, roughness and two normal maps, baked one and tiling fabric.

I also have curvature and ambient occlusion maps for this character, but it's out of the scope of Cycles, so no need for those though.

...but masking with a typical black & white mask texture I couldn't figure out a way to find a working node setup for it though, so those fabric details are tiled all over the place which isn't ideal, obviously. :D

Then with a little bit of googling, I found a quite recent thread with discussion about masking normal maps in Blender. There's also some discussion about even more complex mathematically correct blendings at the end of the thread: https://blenderartists.org/t/masking-normal-maps/1130591/2

cgCody member of that forum kinda provided a solution, but didn't include a proper screenshot of his node setup, so I'm a bit lost. So, my mask texture in the node editor is selected but being a little bit lonely there, haha.

From time to time I've tried to use Cycle's nodes for materializing real-time game assets in Cycles (and in EEVEE in future), but I've ended up using either Marmoset or UE4 for the sake of simplicity and standardization of using materials and textures. But it's interesting to replicate thise kind of thing in Blender too.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    @Udjani Just grabbed today's build. Mitreing is still behaving strangely on curved surfaces.

EDIT: just doing some more testing and it seems that the cylinder result below is actually correct. My example above from Max is using the InsetSG modifier and not the Chamfer(Bevel) modifier. Max does have another algorithm, but I can't show it as it's from beta.

Cylinder;

Still getting some weird topology errors

@musashidan
    I tested 2.8 as well and found that the bevel behaves different from 2.7. A profile setting of 0.7 is roughly the same as 0.99 before. 
    Once 2.8 bevel is final, I will test it more in depth to see if that workflow is still valid or not, or even obsolete, due to new features.

Works like a charm with both blending two normal maps and flipping the Y-channel with "RGB Curves", thank you a lot. My normal maps were already having X+, Y- and Z+, so I inverted the curves to get Y+. I tested this on my previous character porject's hoodie. It has albedo (base color), metalness, roughness and two normal maps, baked one and tiling fabric.

I also have curvature and ambient occlusion maps for this character, but it's out of the scope of Cycles, so no need for those though.

...but masking with a typical black & white mask texture I couldn't figure out a way to find a working node setup for it though, so those fabric details are tiled all over the place which isn't ideal, obviously. :D

Then with a little bit of googling, I found a quite recent thread with discussion about masking normal maps in Blender. There's also some discussion about even more complex mathematically correct blendings at the end of the thread: https://blenderartists.org/t/masking-normal-maps/1130591/2

cgCody member of that forum kinda provided a solution, but didn't include a proper screenshot of his node setup, so I'm a bit lost. So, my mask texture in the node editor is selected but being a little bit lonely there, haha.

From time to time I've tried to use Cycle's nodes for materializing real-time game assets in Cycles (and in EEVEE in future), but I've ended up using either Marmoset or UE4 for the sake of simplicity and standardization of using materials and textures. But it's interesting to replicate thise kind of thing in Blender too.

@FourtyNights

I have seen and tried quite a few complex setups in the past, though I have to admit that often I didn't understand exactly what they did.
    Using the vector math node for normal vectors seemed quite fitting, so I stuck with it.
    Didn't your masking work correctly when plugging it into the strength input of your blended normal map?
    I would set the mask image to non-color and at a math multiplier to control the total strength. It is shown in one of my screenshots.
    Texture painting the mask in render view should work too.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage

Hello 

Next Gen a Netflix Original. Previz and Lighting Reel / Blender

Image result for next gen a netflix original

Image result for next gen a netflix originalImage result for next gen a netflix original
  • LuisCherubini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuisCherubini interpolator
    Made a video showcasing the Weighted Normal Modifier in 2.8!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlfhUSapETc
  • Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    @Kerub dfk dude, im ded.
  • Jakro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    ...and the 'Best 3D Musical Cover of 2019' goes to... @Kerub !!!
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Kerub said:
    Made a video showcasing the Weighted Normal Modifier in 2.8!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlfhUSapETc

• Jakro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    This program and it's blender addon is is fantastic for matching your camera to an image reference https://fspy.io/  <3
  • D1nar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D1nar polycounter lvl 2
    Hey guys! Any rules on UV unwrapping objects with face weighted normals? Should I cut bevel faces entirely? Or I can cut how I want and avoid stretching?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Really loving the updated 2d animation tools as well, and these latest updates are great!

• wazou
  • oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    Any opinions of this uv map? I've been learning 'uv strengthening' which people insist is amazing or something.
    honestly I feel it swould be better with seams, to me, this rectable, while using the space more efficiently, it looks like a freak of nature.
  • Jakro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    oraeles77 said:
    Any opinions of this uv map? I've been learning 'uv strengthening' which people insist is amazing or something.
    honestly I feel it swould be better with seams, to me, this rectable, while using the space more efficiently, it looks like a freak of nature.
    Short answer,  use your best judgement. Longer answer, It really depends on how you're planning on texturing it and the specific model. For this model I would suggest against this UV unwrap because there is going to be extreme stretching. That's not to say you shouldn't straighten your UV's. Straightening your UV's will help remove any unwanted seams and it make texturing a breeze. I would first suggest you add a UV checker grid to your object so that you can preview how your textures will be mapped and spot any stretching issues quick. From there it's down to you. I could tell you how I personally would unwrap this but I think you'll learn much more by chucking a uv checker texture on your object and experimenting and seeing what you can come up with. There's no perfect unwrap but there's certainly bad ways to unwrap. 
  • claws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to share my old rock generator. Maybe it's useful for someone!

• ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claws said:
    Just wanted to share my old rock generator. Maybe it's useful for someone!

It is for me, thanks!