Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Thanks for that list per, that's good.

Also, it's always fun to see the latest UI changes you've made to your app, there are not enough fab max users like you here. You're now going for some red and blue huh. It does intrigue me why people decide to remove the three color-code from gizmos AND hide the on-screen WS gizmo at the bottom corner. Guess I'm not that macho yet.  
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Justo said:
    Also, it's always fun to see the latest UI changes you've made to your app, there are not enough fab max users like you here.
    indeed you can make the theme quite cozy.

not sure how much the cyber cyan scheme has improved my modeling speed but I would wager 300 to 400% and possibly more. one day i may try orange 
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys,

Looking for a little guidance, I solved some other topo issues and have some quick paint overs I did of solution(No tablet agh). Which one of these paint overs would be the better solution. 

A - I had this originally and noticed it was giving deformation issue with shading. Likely due to spacing of edges, not sure if the pole is causing it (Have'nt tried yet) Seems like weird topo though
    B - Seems ideal but I'd have to slice in two more loops straight up which I did on another area of the mesh. Maybe this would work here also if I space edges apart again. I doubt the roundness of the hole would be effected due to the # of sides
    C - Deal with Ngon or slice edge from poles straight up

A

B

C

• kadeschui
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Obviously you'll want to clean this up but it gets the idea across. pardon my MS Paint skillz XD

Edit: this is LP - for a subdivide for a bake your option B should be fine.
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks Kadeschui. I was like oh noo tri's:)  and I saw thats intended topo for LP version. So I'll try B and check again the results. 
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter

one day i may try orange 
    It's not as hardcore as some others', but I actually do try to go for an orange look in Max as much as I'm comfortable with. Also 2018 is weird and some colors behave differently than in other versions, like Geometry>Subselection. 

• Markmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    Justo
    I do not understand .
    what are you trying to do?
    do you have a reference?
    Everything is working.
    (just use more geometry)

• Markmars
  • tanphong91
    Hi. I am new to 3d modeling and I have an assignment to model an ALY71836 Acura RDX Rim. The shape is really complicated and I don't even know where to start. Any help or suggestions would be helpful. I use 3Ds Max. The model needs to be a game spec model that is clean and holds shape when subdivided. Thank you for your time.
  • bitinn
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,

I am wondering the best way to extrude this pipe turn's ring along the pipe without creating hidden poly inside the ring. This is a single piece of mesh.

I can think of a few ways to do this but none of them seem elegant: either I will have to delete some pipe polys and bridge again, or I have to move edge or add edge loop in a way that at least slightly affect the pipe turn's shape.

• Vent
    Offline / Send Message
    Vent polycounter lvl 7
    This is probably a bit of a silly question, but as someone who is still quite a novice when it comes to high poly modeling, how would I add an edgeloop (green) to support the edge (blue) without adding an unwanted crease along the whole cylindrical shape. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, I just, I don't really know what. Working with subdivided surface is something pretty unfamiliar to me. Thanks for any help!
  • EarthQuake
    Vent said:
    This is probably a bit of a silly question, but as someone who is still quite a novice when it comes to high poly modeling, how would I add an edgeloop (green) to support the edge (blue) without adding an unwanted crease along the whole cylindrical shape. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, I just, I don't really know what. Working with subdivided surface is something pretty unfamiliar to me. Thanks for any help!
    80% of this thread covers how to do this. Read back until you see a similar question.
  • darkminaz
    Offline / Send Message
    darkminaz vertex
    bitinn said:
    Hi,

I am wondering the best way to extrude this pipe turn's ring along the pipe without creating hidden poly inside the ring. This is a single piece of mesh.

I can think of a few ways to do this but none of them seem elegant: either I will have to delete some pipe polys and bridge again, or I have to move edge or add edge loop in a way that at least slightly affect the pipe turn's shape.

add an edgeloop right on the corner, and simply move the rest along, probably the simplest way :)

• Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Vent said:

use more sides in the cylinder in the first place so you don't need to add the green edge. 
  • bitinn
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    darkminaz said:
    bitinn said:
    Hi,

add an edgeloop right on the corner, and simply move the rest along, probably the simplest way :)

Thx, that was what I tried, but it requires me to straighten the edge loop afterwards. And of course I have to do it one by one and eyeball it.

I eventually went with a bevel but with chamfer mode "off" and force parallel "on", it will create something similar but with adjustable parameters as well as can be done in 1 go.

• DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathstrokeFTW polycounter lvl 4
    I am trying to make this for a low poly tree but I dont know how to pull it off. I have tried several attempts but nothing works.

• Eric Chadwick
    I am trying to make this for a low poly tree but I dont know how to pull it off. I have tried several attempts but nothing works.

Post attempt before asking pls. Difficult to critique without seeing what you've tried so far.

The stalks for these leaves are coming out from the trunk in an overlapping manner, each one behind the next, so just extrude them the same way.

Think about how you would model a rose, for example.
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message

Post attempt before asking pls. Difficult to critique without seeing what you've tried so far.

The stalks for these leaves are coming out from the trunk in an overlapping manner, each one behind the next, so just extrude them the same way.

Think about how you would model a rose, for example.

I was currently doing this, I dont have my old attempts.
  • Thanez
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    @DeathstrokeFTW
    This is a circular pattern, so decide an amount of segments you want on branches and base that will match up nicely.
    I started with 8sided base cuz I want 4 branches.
    4 branches with 4 sides each will match up nicely with 8sided base. One (red) of them unique, the rest instances.
    4 new branches with 4 sides rotated upward slightly will match up nicely with first 4 branches, One (green) of them unique, the rest instances.
    4 new branches with 4 sides will match up nicely with second 4 branches, rotated 45 degrees around tree, some degrees upward. One of (blue) them unique, the rest instances.
    Edit poly modifier on the green branch, move the bottom left and right verts to make edges line up nicely. Add edgeloop where the branches and base intersect to all 3 unique branches...
    Edit poly modifier on unique branches, select bottom face, grow selection, delete. 
    Edit poly modifier on tree base, select top face, grow selection, delete.
    Now it's all lined up for you to merge the meshes and weld the verts by proximity.

Max file: http://skins.thanez.net/help/deathstroke.max
    Keep it simple, keep it clean.
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez said:
    @DeathstrokeFTW
    This is a circular pattern, so decide an amount of segments you want on branches and base that will match up nicely.
    I started with 8sided base cuz I want 4 branches.
    4 branches with 4 sides each will match up nicely with 8sided base. One (red) of them unique, the rest instances.
    4 new branches with 4 sides rotated upward slightly will match up nicely with first 4 branches, One (green) of them unique, the rest instances.
    4 new branches with 4 sides will match up nicely with second 4 branches, rotated 45 degrees around tree, some degrees upward. One of (blue) them unique, the rest instances.
    Edit poly modifier on the green branch, move the bottom left and right verts to make edges line up nicely. Add edgeloop where the branches and base intersect to all 3 unique branches...
    Edit poly modifier on unique branches, select bottom face, grow selection, delete. 
    Edit poly modifier on tree base, select top face, grow selection, delete.
    Now it's all lined up for you to merge the meshes and weld the verts by proximity.

*snip*
    I literally did that earlier but gave up because it wasnt looking nice with the leaves I had to attach to. Guess Ill just do that. I also have to keep this low poly. Thanks!

perna said:
    @DeathstrokeFTW
    It's difficult to help you unless you tell us what the problem is. "Nothing works" is too vague.
    Yes sorry about that I cant really explain my problem xD I was trying to pull off the image I linked but I was running into problems when I tried to look at it from far away. Plus keeping that low-poly actually made it hard to maintain the clean look.
  • iacdxb
    Offline / Send Message
    iacdxb polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, anyone can help me how can I fix this round to hard edges....? Thanks.

Thanks.
  • Thanez
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    I literally did that earlier but gave up because it wasnt looking nice with the leaves I had to attach to. Guess Ill just do that. I also have to keep this low poly. 
    Lowpoly isn't an issue. You can add detail and do whatever you want as long as you work with the surrounding geometry instead of against it.

Oh no, an Ngons. What to doooo

Oh
  • sinhead
    Offline / Send Message
    sinhead polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guys,

Please recommend a fast way to model these.  On a medium- res mesh. Maya.

Current workflow = Place a cylinder at each point on the Fender > Boolean > Cleanup the result.  This becomes very time consuming.

Please recommend a faster method for this.

Mesh

• Eric Chadwick
    I'd suggest just making one of these, then duplicating it around and rotating/scaling into rough position, then snapping the edges into place.

• sinhead
    Offline / Send Message
    sinhead polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks Eric :).  That's very logical.  

Makes me wonder where did my common sense go :D.
  • franman
    Offline / Send Message
    franman polycounter lvl 13
    I'm a 3Ds max user.

I got myself in a situation where I merge different meshes to one mesh so I can UV map them.  After flattening, relaxing and packing the clusters into the 0,1 boundary, I then detach parts of the geometry from that one mesh.

However, along the way I realize that I need to fix some of the polygons on certain meshes; this usually involves fixing vertex positions; sometimes deleting and creating polygons.

So that means I have to fix those clusters in UV space to scale and match proportionally; not only that, I find that I have to reattach those meshes with other meshes so I can pack those clusters again.

Hopefully you can see where I'm getting at, is there a better way of dealing with this tedious process? (that is avoid repetitive reattachment of those meshes and packing clusters).
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    franman said:
    I'm a 3Ds max user.

I got myself in a situation where I merge different meshes to one mesh so I can UV map them.  After flattening, relaxing and packing the clusters into the 0,1 boundary, I then detach parts of the geometry from that one mesh.

However, along the way I realize that I need to fix some of the polygons on certain meshes; this usually involves fixing vertex positions; sometimes deleting and creating polygons.

So that means I have to fix those clusters in UV space to scale and match proportionally; not only that, I find that I have to reattach those meshes with other meshes so I can pack those clusters again.

Hopefully you can see where I'm getting at, is there a better way of dealing with this tedious process? (that is avoid repetitive reattachment of those meshes and packing clusters).
    You don't have to merge meshes to edit their UVs together.

Select all components and add a UV Unwrap modifier and you'll see it in the stack with italics, this signifies it's an instanced modifier i.e. it's used in more than one location.

This will allow you to edit UVs on multiple meshes without merging them
  • GrizPark
    Offline / Send Message
    GrizPark null
    Hi all,

Apologies if this sort of shape has been covered before. I've checked through the first 15-20 pages and couldn't find anything in relation and google searches always bring up the wrong criteria.

My problem is with the "creased" lines that seem to come from the outer corners of the protruding shape. I've spent several hours trying to work it out myself but figured I'd stop being so silly and just ask for help.

Any help and/or advice appreciated.

Best,

Griz
  • Markmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    Use more geometry.
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    GrizPark said:
    Hi all,

Apologies if this sort of shape has been covered before. I've checked through the first 15-20 pages and couldn't find anything in relation and google searches always bring up the wrong criteria.

My problem is with the "creased" lines that seem to come from the outer corners of the protruding shape. I've spent several hours trying to work it out myself but figured I'd stop being so silly and just ask for help.

Any help and/or advice appreciated.

Best,

Griz
    Build the primary shape  firstly. Have as little control points as possible (i probably could do it with less geo, but heeeey.. im not perna)
    2. add a symmatry, work with the entire shape (cause it's symmetrical untill that small part)
    3. using the double smooth method (keeping smoothing groups). I got my main shape done. Now it's all about having Equa-distance so your extrude does not get artifacts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87I8FpXn3Yc&t=1s
    4. I made sure that i had enough geo to extrude that part, to be honest. One can do this with a lot less geo and a small amount of manual tweaking. But if it's a personal piece  and nobody else is going to work with it. have fun. 

• GrizPark
    Offline / Send Message
    GrizPark null
    wirrexx said:
    Build the primary shape  firstly. Have as little control points as possible (i probably could do it with less geo, but heeeey.. im not perna)
    2. add a symmatry, work with the entire shape (cause it's symmetrical untill that small part)
    3. using the double smooth method (keeping smoothing groups). I got my main shape done. Now it's all about having Equa-distance so your extrude does not get artifacts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87I8FpXn3Yc&t=1s
    4. I made sure that i had enough geo to extrude that part, to be honest. One can do this with a lot less geo and a small amount of manual tweaking. But if it's a personal piece  and nobody else is going to work with it. have fun. 

wirrexx, Thanks so much for the assist.

I'm a Maya user so I've had to translate that to Maya talk, using the Catmull-Clark SubDiv option instead of OpenSubDiv I can preserve edge hardness, then OpenSubDiv smooth over the top of the Cat/Clark, Working nicely. could I pinch a look at the geo' you came up with in the final picture?

Best,

Griz
  • Eric Chadwick
    Ewww, that modifier stack makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Cheers though for lending a hand.
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master

always collapse it for the next step, this was more to show the "workflow" :P
  • GrizPark
    Offline / Send Message
    GrizPark null
    wirrexx said:

always collapse it for the next step, this was more to show the "workflow" :P
    I'm still getting the same pinching effect even when I try the method you've described, that said I am using Maya and I could be translating the sequence incorrectly.

Any further help would be appreciated or if I can provide more screenshots to help solve my problem more I'll happily do so.

I'm absolutely sure it's just my own stupidity stopping me from moving further ahead but I just can't seem to grasp it. :'(

Best once more,

Griz
  • GrizPark
    Offline / Send Message
    GrizPark null
    Hello again guys!

Hope you aren't getting sick of me! :s SO I have tried again and have still had no luck in my endeavors. I've tried two different methods which I've posted below in photos and I still don't receive the result I'm looking for. I've also attached a link to my own personal cloud for the FBX file of the two attempts I've made. IF somebody could have a look and point out my problem I'd appreciate it. I don't need anybody to do it for me but a big arrow pointing to the error saying "it's here, you fool" might help me on my way. :D

Link to FBX
    https://mxmvqspf.tkhcloudstorage.com/item/1eee6456b9fa431c8c8738d7dd33c7a7

Here are my attempts, The way the protruding shape from the curve is perpendicular(90 degrees mins the curve in the middle) at both ends is important to the form/shape I'm trying to create. This is only my 4th project so I apologies again if i'm making you experienced guys feel like you're pulling teeth!

Best,

Griz
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    GrizPark said:
    Hello again guys!

Hope you aren't getting sick of me! :s SO I have tried again and have still had no luck in my endeavors. I've tried two different methods which I've posted below in photos and I still don't receive the result I'm looking for. I've also attached a link to my own personal cloud for the FBX file of the two attempts I've made. IF somebody could have a look and point out my problem I'd appreciate it. I don't need anybody to do it for me but a big arrow pointing to the error saying "it's here, you fool" might help me on my way. :D

Link to FBX

Here are my attempts, The way the protruding shape from the curve is perpendicular(90 degrees mins the curve in the middle) at both ends is important to the form/shape I'm trying to create. This is only my 4th project so I apologies again if i'm making you experienced guys feel like you're pulling teeth!

Best,

Griz
    still not enough geo to support that shape. 
    https://youtu.be/oaUzfqZFWBA?t=28m30s

Take a look at this! =)

• GrizPark
    Offline / Send Message
    GrizPark null
    wirrexx said:
    GrizPark said:
    Hello again guys!

Link to FBX

Best,

Griz

Take a look at this! =)

Wirrexx,

Thank you so much for the pictures and the link, I finally got it. I now understand the need for the geometry to "support" the shape and the edges bellow the shape to effectively stop the polygons from stretching or being under too much tension (Probably incorrect terminology)

Another learning outcome I had is that I was trying to insert an edge loop on every edge that I wanted hardened, so effectively I had 2 loops bordering any edge I wanted hard. Giving me 3 edges per hard edge. I now see that you can use just two and decrease the distance between them to create a softer or harder bevel.

Thank you for your continued help and support, it has been invaluable.

Best,
    Griz
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    GrizPark said:
    wirrexx said:
    GrizPark said:
    Hello again guys!

Link to FBX

Best,

Griz

Take a look at this! =)

Wirrexx,

Thank you so much for the pictures and the link, I finally got it. I now understand the need for the geometry to "support" the shape and the edges bellow the shape to effectively stop the polygons from stretching or being under too much tension (Probably incorrect terminology)

Another learning outcome I had is that I was trying to insert an edge loop on every edge that I wanted hardened, so effectively I had 2 loops bordering any edge I wanted hard. Giving me 3 edges per hard edge. I now see that you can use just two and decrease the distance between them to create a softer or harder bevel.

Thank you for your continued help and support, it has been invaluable.

Best,
    Griz
    Glad it worked out!
  • DigitalGreenTea
    Offline / Send Message
    DigitalGreenTea polycounter lvl 5
    Can someone help me out here? I'm baffled at how I can achieve the following shape shown in this concept art. I tried spline & bridge options, but they didn't work out that well. 
  • franman
    Offline / Send Message
    franman polycounter lvl 13
    Can someone help me out here? I'm baffled at how I can achieve the following shape shown in this concept art. I tried spline & bridge options, but they didn't work out that well. 
    If you're a 3Ds Max user, I'd dig into using loft.
  • rage288
    Offline / Send Message
    rage288 polycounter lvl 7
    I dont see anything wrong with your result...

• Motionworks
    I used this approach to create inset and extruded details on this turntable (using Cinema 4D). Interested to see any more efficient approach if anyone has one. Cheers.
  • DigitalGreenTea
    Offline / Send Message
    DigitalGreenTea polycounter lvl 5
    franman said:
    If you're a 3Ds Max user, I'd dig into using loft.
    Thank you so much! I'm a Maya user actually, but the loft feature works pretty much the same for me. Thanks to your input the topology is way better and the shape resembles what can be seen on the concept art a lot more.

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Hello everyone!

First here is my ref:

Here is my smoothing problem: i still got those weird artifacts when smoothing:

I know it's really not that much and i'm ready to jsut deal with it, but i was just wondering if it was possible to totally get rid of those? I tried to add support loops a bit everywhere but i feel like a break the "cylindar smoothing" when doing so... :s

As i said i still think it's "good enough" but my goal with that project is to learn as much as possible so i would really appreciate your advices :)
    Thanks guys!

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    perna said:
    @Olingova
    Sleepytime, no images right now.

Some caveman is inevitably going to say "more geo" *shudder*. Think instead about what exactly causes the issue; the discrepancy in density and placement of the two elements. Ironing that out eliminates the issues. 

You want the interaction to happen where it as little as possible alters the structure of the curved geo. In this case it might be sufficient to just move the cutout shape lower (relative to the screenshots)
    Haha i totally understand :D Luckily for me, it's 11:37 am here. Thanks for still taking time to answer!! I think i understand i will give a try, thanks a lot for helping and have a good rest :p
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    @perna (ofcourse i ll wait tomorrow dont worry :p)

So here is my try:

So i still got some lill smoothing maybe i didnt entirely understand what you mean, but as i said it's already moooore than enough i just want to entirely understand that technique. Ofcourse i guess it's too late i ll wait for answers later :) i will also delete previous psot to avoid double post

edit: well i cant delete haha
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    @Olingova, one thing that i do before adding those kind of details is to add enough horizontal edges that they will become your supporting edges. Check screen. The rest is just cutting the detail and add vertical supporting edges.
    Probably there is a easyer way to do it, but this is how i would do it if i had to make this with sub-D in mind.

As you can see, the cylinder horizontal edges become the supporting edges, without adding more horizontal edges. I hope this makes sense to you.

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    s1dK said:
    @Olingova, one thing that i do before adding those kind of details is to add enough horizontal edges that they will become your supporting edges. Check screen. The rest is just cutting the detail and add vertical supporting edges.
    Probably there is a easyer way to do it, but this is how i would do it if i had to make this with sub-D in mind.

As you can see, the cylinder horizontal edges become the supporting edges, without adding more horizontal edges. I hope this makes sense to you.

Yup i got your point it works fine :D:D I think i couldn't have a really better smoothing with the cylinder i used; maybe a bit too low poly already.
    Thanks a lot for your help i really appreciate it :)
  • Daustin_3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Daustin_3D polycounter lvl 3

Would anyone be able to offer advice on how to obtain the shape of this Banana roof? My most recent attempt constructed of inserting edge loops on a simple cub e and fashioning it into the shape of 1 peel and then duplicating it around, But I'm not having much success.

Any advice? I
    I'd really appreciate it!
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    start with a cylinder with as many sides as the banana has
    do some loops and scale into a straight banana shape
    detach and deform the lower parts to match reference
    ffd modifier to curve the upper part