Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Master Thread

Replies

• Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    Go to Add A Game and redeem the code.

Thanks for your help! But whithin the "add new game" window, I find two versions of substance designer, substance player, but no substance painter
  • sebdeguy
    Offline / Send Message
    sebdeguy polycounter lvl 3
    Torch wrote: »
    I think you can show work made in Painter, as long as you're not showing the UI itself.

Exactly, as soon as you don't disclose any confidential info about the tool itself and its functionnalities, you're fine showing what you produce with it.

cman2k: Looking nice btw :)
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    When you open Steam, look at the bottom left which says: + ADD A GAME

Then 'Activate a product on Steam'

Finally type in your code and it should work, came up for me earlier :)
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Torch!

for someone who isn´t used to Steam, this is not very obvious!
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    No problem :D If you have a hard time finding it in your library list later on, you need to click the tab just under LIBRARY titled 'All Games' and change it to 'All Software', or just 'Installed' and Painter should appear in the list.
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks again for your preemptive help!
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Offline / Send Message
    TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7
    Ok, finally got some time to play around with it. Super awesome fun times await. Absolutely killer piece of kit.

Well done everyone at Allegorithmic! Can't wait to see how this evolves.
  • badmouse
    Offline / Send Message
    badmouse polycounter lvl 8
    Where is the download Link?
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    badmouse wrote: »
    Where is the download Link?

You need to be part of the beta group that were invited to test it, you're then sent a code which you can use in steam to activate it.
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    so where do I find the substance painter steam community?
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Thousand wrote: »
    so where do I find the substance painter steam community?

In Steam library, right click Substance Painter and go to 'View Community Hub'
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
  • mag7spy
    Offline / Send Message
    mag7spy polycounter lvl 5
    Are any more beta invites going out for steam users?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Very excited to announce that the Substance Painter Public Beta will go live on Steam on March 6th, which is in 2 days only!

The approach we want to take with Painter is the same as the one we have been successfully taking with Designer over the last 2 years: bringing the product early to customers and be very open and careful about feedback to make sure our development efforts go in the right direction and are as efficient as possible, by focusing on iteration and interaction with the community.

The Beta will be introduced on Steam at a very(!) low price, and purchasing the beta will give access to the full non-commercial version once it is released. Those who don't want to use Steam at that point will be able to download a standalone version.
    People who want to upgrade to the commercial version later on will be able to do so too.

A free trial version will also be available during the Beta.

You can help us spread the word through this link.
  • cw
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Jerc, just wanted to say thanks for the beta access, and sorry I didn't do more with it in the time I had! I will definitely be buying it.

Good luck with the open beta!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I'd also like to thank you for letting me take part in the beta, my experience has been almost entirely positive and i'm very excited to see what happens once all the features have been implemented!
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Put me down for 1x steam beta access. :)
  • Michael Knubben
    It was nice to see this take shape, and to see things are being done with our feedback!
    Looking forward to continuing to play with it, and even more to the day it can replace 3dcoat :)
  • leon.s
  • cdavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    ill no doubt grab a copy on steam tomorrow when its up :)
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
  • cdavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    about 3 hours i think they said on twitter that was 10mins ago.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    but but

I want it nao :'(
  • Teessider
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    Can't wait to try it after work today :D
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Wut?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GChCFtm_Hts"]Substance Painter Beta - Launch Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • akh
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    And bought :) Thx
  • Wolvawab
  • garcellano
  • Coontang
    Offline / Send Message
    Coontang polycounter lvl 5
    Has anyone started a thread to share our findings with it now it's out? or is that against the beta rules?
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    not sure if this has been asked before.

Is 2048 the maximum resolution for the document?
    Is multi uv tile supported?
  • frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    After some quick testing it's looking very promising and at that price it's a no-brainer.

One thing I'd love to see though, is procedural brushes,
    not necessarily based on actual particles, but kinda like Krita has or harmony.

Right now the physics brushes feel a little too random to me, but I guess it's just a matter of proper setup, masking etc.
    I'm curious what other people do with it.

+1 on the 2k question, is it just for the trial?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    not sure if this has been asked before.

Is 2048 the maximum resolution for the document?
    Is multi uv tile supported?

At the moment 2048 is the maximum but they've said they want to increase this .
    multi UV tiles aren't supported yet, but they want to add this as well.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm I just saw the price they are listing on their FAQ page:
    $590

We were actually told it would be much less than the cost of Substance Designer.
    What happened guys?

"Hi guys, Jerc from Allegorithmic here. Just wanted to address a few concerns smile.gif
    As for the price, I can't give you specifics now, but Painter will be much less expensive than Designer and we will also have a very cheap non commercial license."

Not that its necessarily the end of the world, but once its starts getting closer to the cost of mudbox, then expectations in functionality start to go up, which is a given. :-)

There was also some mention of a lower price for current Substance Designer users. I wonder if thats still on the table.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    It is available on Steam for 50% off ($75).
  • fr0gg1e
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Would gladly test this on some 3D movies assets I am doing right now but 2K is too limiting for me =(

I am already using a combo of Topogun to bake normal and AO, then use Knald to process the normal and output some neat little masks that I use inside of Mari, either as layer masks or channel masks but I organize my meshes / UVs so all connected parts are on the same udim, most of the time when possible depending on final res on screen.

Would be cool to know if I can import multiple meshes. I don't mind painting on UV Range 0 to 1 as long as I can export my maps as xxx.1001.tif/ png / psd or whatever, xxx.1002.tif and so on. I setup all my baking like this for Topogun anyway and import everything back into Mari at one point...So let's say I'd like to be able to paint on a cylinder, cut the cylinder in half before exporting, to match my udims, then setup 2 "materials" and paint on both of them at the same time. Would that be possible? If yes I might give it a shot...Hell I might give it a shot anyway on some simple props at one point. We'll see if I can cheat the system in a way or another =P
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Played with it for about 30 min so far. Here's some thoughts, coming from someone who uses Photoshop and Mari to texture:

Seems pretty snappy, was painting 2k texture on a 70k model.
    Want higher res, 4k at least.
    Rendering is slooooooow, whatever method being used for PBR chugs the whole app. Painting was MUCH more responsive when I switched to single channel, even if i set to Low quality.
    That being said why is there no phong style lighting?! Its insanely cheap and gives the artist information about shape.
    I may be missing it but there's hardly any masking options. I want to mask by view angle, noise, I Want to mask by another layer while I paint.
    I couldnt figure out if I could import a texture I made outside of the program as a new layer. I would like to be able to import something as a starting point and go from there. Or import my AO as a layer, then use that layer as a mask while I paint.
    The standard brush options are super minimal, would like to be able to adjust splatter, rotation, stretching etc....
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    JordanW wrote: »
    I couldnt figure out if I could import a texture I made outside of the program as a new layer. I would like to be able to import something as a starting point and go from there. Or import my AO as a layer, then use that layer as a mask while I paint.
    The standard brush options are super minimal, would like to be able to adjust splatter, rotation, stretching etc....
    You can load textures as a starting point; you import an image which is then added to the shelf—I think you either drag it onto the layers section or you create a 'fill' layer (or maybe they're called background layers, can't exactly remember) and then apply the imported image to that.

You can't yet use images as layer masks but it was mentioned frequently in the closed beta so it probably won't be too far off.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    How to do you get the particle effects to render higher quality? the streaks/etc that it makes are pixels and low quality :/
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Like everything else, particles paint to your UV's which are resolution based. The current max doc size is 2048x2048. Maybe if you're getting some weird results post an image?
    Coontang wrote: »
    Has anyone started a thread to share our findings with it now it's out? or is that against the beta rules?
    I haven't heard anything specific but since there's a free trial available I assume it is fine to talk about.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    aajohnny wrote: »
    How to do you get the particle effects to render higher quality? the streaks/etc that it makes are pixels and low quality :/

I believe you have to change the PBR quality to a higher setting, and it should start showing you the full rez.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    This beta is completely open, so you are welcome and encouraged to post anything related to Painter. We want honest feedback, good or bad :)

About pricing, we had to put a price for the commercial version because we knew people would ask for one, but it is not set in stone and we will soon give more details about tthe commercial version, what kind of deal Designer licensees can get, etc.

Particles quality depends on 2 main parameters. The size of the brush, a smaller size will spawn sharper particle streaks, and the dt parameter in the particle settings. The lower that value, the higher the framerate of the particle simulation. Careful though, an extremely low value will slow down performances quite a bit.

As for the PBR shader, yes it is very expensive right now and we have to go through quite a bit of optimization.
    We plan to add the ability to load your own shader and will ship more shaders will the tool asap. In the meantime I would recommend working using the medium quality setting as it will give the best quality/speed ratio.

Importing bitmaps is kind of cumbersome right now. You have to import them in your shelf first and then use a Fill layer to use them. That is going to change obviously.
    Masking is one of our top priority in the coming weeks too.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Just gave it a whirl on my older workstation. It was pretty great looking, slow as molasses, but cool. Then my machine shut itself off in dispair at all the calculations without even a blue screen.

I'll have to check it out on the more modern 8 core machine later.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Just tried it on my work computer for about 5 minutes, it took all the particle brush abuse quite well - oooh they are fun! (6 core AMD / 8 gigs / Radeon 7900)

Later this weekend I'll give you some feedback on how well Painter works on tablets (notably my Surface Pro 2), since that's obviously where I'd love to see it succeed.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought into the beta, looking forwards to playing with it :)
  • empeck
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Jerc wrote: »
    About pricing, we had to put a price for the commercial version because we knew people would ask for one, but it is not set in stone and we will soon give more details about tthe commercial version, what kind of deal Designer licensees can get, etc.

I hope $590 is not a final commercial price. It's a bit too expensive, especially for indie devs and freelancers, a cheaper commercial license for a single person would be awesome.
  • snow
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    - Is there no way to angle jitter particles?

- How can you reset your stencil, say if you rotate it and you want it straight again?

- How do you adjust opacity of stencils? Also to tell them to not show always/show when painting/not show when painting?

- Probably just me, can't figure out how to do simple masks by face/object/etc. Are there plans for extensive masking options like in Mari, by curvature/AO/etc.?

- Definitely needs a 2D view.

- Can't figure out what object view is actually doing, seems to select parts of the model and just colour them, is that all? I'd rather be able to select parts of the model here to mask out etc.

- No hide/unhide features for the model.

Loving this so far!
  • fr0gg1e
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    As Jordan. Masking is a huge task...
    What I'd like to see is the ability to work on tiling textures with depth masking. IE Using height map information to control where to put painting. It could work on fill up to or fill until, so let's say I have bricks and mortar, select fill up to and fill my mortar with greyish color, then switch to fill until and fill my bricks until it reaches the mortar, but just before, so I can fill my bricks, then fill layering so I can add details in the cracks, with a tolerance so from .2 to .3 black (or white) it's painting the details. Now that would be awesome.

As for the interface, man those icons are HUGE. Filled space for nothing to me. Streamline it a bit more a la PS. Small icons on the side for different tools and let me customize them in a window docked on the right when selected, or get me a shortcut to display the customize palette and free up some space.

No fill function on a layer? Choose color and fill it. Or even better, procedural color, so I can iterate quickly (especially important for roughness). Typically in Mari I setup a bunch of colors and mask them with my painting...I use a lot of add mask from alpha from my diffuse, then copy / paste that mask into a procedural color layer so I have exact values (IR I use .2 color, mask it with the alpha of a stain from my diffuse, I know my stain will be .2 fading to whatever underneath, and I usually clamp the levels of my mask with levels and so on).

Adjustments? Levels, HSV, and so on? I am spoiled with Mari with all the adjustment layers and stacks.

Layer palette is confusing to me. Just do it a la PS. No need to display that big square texture.

Alt click a layer to isolate as diffuse a la mudbox. I love this feature.

Ability to control paint / brush as mentionned above, but follow brush stroke direction? I couldn't find it.

Particles seems hard to control, I sometimes want to reduce the number of them, I especially don't want to be able to paint on all meshes when spawning particles. Can you add an option like "constraint to mesh element" so we can only paint on one "object" without affecting others?

Isolate function. Over on top of a mesh element press key and bam, isolated. Press key again to display everything bak. Could work with UV shelves as well.

Zooming is atrociously slow here. Let me customize how fast I want to zoom.

Free rotation camera. Thanks god! I personally love this feature (a la modo trackball). =D

That's it for now but I am sure I will have mannny more comments as I am using it.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    snow wrote: »
    - Is there no way to angle jitter particles?

- How can you reset your stencil, say if you rotate it and you want it straight again?

- How do you adjust opacity of stencils? Also to tell them to not show always/show when painting/not show when painting?

- Probably just me, can't figure out how to do simple masks by face/object/etc. Are there plans for extensive masking options like in Mari, by curvature/AO/etc.?

- Definitely needs a 2D view.

- Can't figure out what object view is actually doing, seems to select parts of the model and just colour them, is that all? I'd rather be able to select parts of the model here to mask out etc.

- No hide/unhide features for the model.

Loving this so far!

-You can find jittering options in the advanced Brush settings rollout (click twice on the brush rollout).

-No way to reset a stencil for now.

-You can use the selection tool to mask by element, simply hit T and then select the selection tool to maks out parts of the object by face or element (I to invert the mask, T to come back to painting, Y to reset).
    Globally the selection tool is really early and robust masking is in our short term pipe.

-2D view will be there.

-No hide feature yet indeed.

@fr0gg1e: You can use the little B icon on top of the layer stack to create a Fill layer, in which you can set a different color or bitmap for each channel. You will soon be able to load substances in those too.

As a side note, we decided to allow the use of the Non-Commercial version for people generating less than $10K per year in revenue, so indies or people doing freelancing on the side can use the non-commercial version for their projects for example.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    As a side note, we decided to allow the use of the Non-Commercial version for people generating less than $10K per year in revenue, so indies or people doing freelancing on the side can use the non-commercial version for their projects for example.

That. is. awesome.

Is this strictly for Painter, or also for other tools?