Home Stickies

XoliulShader 2

Replies

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    mediochrea wrote: »
    The cgfx version works nicely in Maya 2013.

Weird, doesn't work at all for me in Maya 2013. I load the cgFX plugin, and then try to load in the "Xoliulshader_1.5_Maya.fx" file, and get this nonsense:

//EDIT:
    "The error code was here until the error of my ways was pointed out to me""

Is there something else I need to do, or do the files need to be in a certain directory?
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    My 1.5 version is not CGFX but HLSL. You want Slayvin's version instead, i think you're getting a bit confused here by the two versions...
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Oooh, dang, yes, that could be the problem. (It's working now.)

I had no idea there was a CGFX version, or an HLSL one; I just saw .FX and assumed it was Cgfx.

Loaded it in as HLSL, and voila!
    Thanks so much. Glad to finally have this working.
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    maybe this have been adressed somewhere in this thread, but i searched trough it and couldnt find an answer...
    i have a problem with the alpha opacity.
    trying to create some snow flowing in the air, and the snowflakes look like they should but the soft fog between them appears way to hard and jagged.
    vinter_snoflingor.JPG

heres my alpha channel;
    vinter_snoflingor_alpha.jpg
    the fog is almost 100% black but in max viewport its so dense...
    maybe im missing something but i thought that when using alpha-channel opacity you get a linear curve from 100% opacity at full black to 0% opacity at full white. right now its basically impossible for me to achive any foglike effect since the lowest i can get with my alpha mask, as close to black i can manage, still gives me a dense result.

i hope this make sense. anyone knows how to solve it?

btw i have my max viewport transparncy settings at "none". tried the other but they looks even worse
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Might be gamma correction?
    In any case, once you start doing particles and so, I'd recommend an engine like UDK or Unity. My shader isn't really meant for this kind of thing.
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man giving max 2014 a whirl and am curious if you have any plans of getting the shader to work with it? Just tried to drag the mzp into the viewport and not a thing pop`d up. Thanks
  • tulkas09
    Offline / Send Message
    tulkas09 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey some people recommend me this shader, I have follow your instructions but when I add the textures this happens: sinttulo2ikr.jpg

I see in the preview that is loaded but it don't show nothing in the view port & render. Glad if u can help me! See you...
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    You are using Nitrous. Please read the help and instructions. You should even have gotten a warning about this on install...
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 wrote: »
    Hey man giving max 2014 a whirl and am curious if you have any plans of getting the shader to work with it? Just tried to drag the mzp into the viewport and not a thing pop`d up. Thanks

Unless Autodesk gets their act together, I don't really have any intentions to fix much. They keep breaking things related to my shader while not adding anything worthwhile, so it would be up to me to find hacky workarounds around their issues. I'd recommend to just stick with 2012.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Very much understandable.
  • tulkas09
    Offline / Send Message
    tulkas09 polycounter lvl 7
    Xoliul wrote: »
    You are using Nitrous. Please read the help and instructions. You should even have gotten a warning about this on install...

Wow I was sure that I make that step, but maybe I didnt save changes... thx great plug-in :D
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Unless Autodesk gets their act together, I don't really have any intentions to fix much. They keep breaking things related to my shader while not adding anything worthwhile, so it would be up to me to find hacky workarounds around their issues. I'd recommend to just stick with 2012.

Appreciate it man, 2012 it is :)
  • martinszeme
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Looks like a great shader, but I can't even install it :/
    It throws out this error message:
    MMgcwMZ.jpg
    Any ideas what it might be?
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    maybe it is just another one of those max problems, but I have a small issue (not to big, just a bit annoying when trying to look around the model).

The problem is the sorting between the magazine and the receiver (and a tiny bit on the dustcovers), but for testing I put a green plane in the middle of the magazine hole/well, to rule out some sort of z-fighting.

77538090.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Z-buffer accuracy isn't high enough for your scene scale, more a Max thing than due to my shader, but here's a solution:
    Right click the camera/view name (perspective probably) and pick "Viewport Clipping". This will enable a slider that sets near and far clipping planes. Just bring the two values a bit closer together and you should be good. Turning this slider off will reset the values though.

Another option is to model/rescale at a more normal scene scale. Your scene is probably too big, making you to zoom out very far and causing this problem. I always try to stick within default grid size (100x100 units?)
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a great shader, but I can't even install it :/
    It throws out this error message:

Any ideas what it might be?

Sorry, missed this. I'm not sure, don't see this error often, if ever. What Max version ? I can't promise support for 2014.
    Basically it's saying it can't even read the mzp installer images properly. Read/write permissions, mzp location on disk and Admin rights might have something to do with it as well. Also maybe the file is corrupt ?

If all else fails, you can try a manual install.
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    ah sweet, scaling down the mesh solved the issue, thanks :)
  • kurt_hectic
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    "
    -I`m having problems with the latest version of XoliulShader in Max 2013. The bakes are ok, they render correctly in xNormal but Xoliul renders black seams across smoothing groups. Is there a fix for this? Or should i switch to Max 2012?

-You're better off with 2012, 2013 is pretty broken.
    "

Can you help me???
    4095419026.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    The question has been answered already:
    Go back to 2012 is your only option. You're not missing anything from 2014, trust me.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Created a blog on the issue: http://www.laurenscorijn.com/future-xoliulshader-support.html
    It's linked from the main page, hopefuly this clears things up a bit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Will you ever make Xoliul shader for Maya? Maybe 2014 doesn't have same issues as latest 3dsmax does :P
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    I won't rule it out, Maya seems to be getting more attention from Autodesk these days.

On the other hand, I'm more inclined to go for my own viewer application (like Marmoset), but then focus on custom shader options and seamless, fast integration with Max/Maya (like 1-click to bring it into the viewer). that's two big reasons where I feel like i should differentiate from marmoset if i'd ever do this.

I feel like working inside a DCC app like max or maya is just too limited and not supported well enough by autodesk to fully achieve what i want. Then again, these days i very rarely do personal stuff as i try to stay away from the computer a bit during my spare time, so this is all just wishful thinking...
  • kurt_hectic
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hey man,

using max 2011, and for some reason every file i open that's ever used your shader now comes up telling me that the script can't be found, and subsequently the material editor is missing the material.

i've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, manually deleting files, manually dropping files into the required folder... it just doesn't seem to want to work. and now if i load a fresh max scene (haven't tried reinstalling max yet, but may do soon), the material isn't in the material editor.

it's all just so weird!
  • JustinHD
  • JustinHD
    Sorry, double post....forum is slow.
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    HI, im currently using max 2012 and im using an environment cube map provided in the script. it used to work well, that it lights my model but now everytime i turn on the material editor, it takes away my environment lighting and my model ends up really dark. Funny thing is that when I open it, it still works but only when I open the material editor, the environment lighting on the model goes away
    9209831248_f33de39205_h.jpg
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Figured it out. I copied the cubemaps into a different folder, into the maxroot/scripts/xoliulshaderui folder and i guess it doesnt like that. Now I'm just using the ones from the Appdata(hidden) folder instead. Thanks!
  • barnesy
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys,

For some reason there is all kinds of crazy going on with the model that I am working on at the moment.

odfr.jpg

It seems to show all of the edges and has some lighting problems throughout the mesh.

I have tried playing around with the normal map settings, exporting the object into a new scene, creating a new material, playing with the hardware shading settings and even re-converting the model to an editable poly and nothing seems to work :s

The problem is to do with the normals and everything else works fine on the model.

Thanks
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    What Max version, Barnesy ?
  • barnesy
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Oooops, my bad, It's 3ds max 2013.

I wish Autodesk would stop messing things up and breaking your shader :\

Thanks
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    The latest one has a hacky fix for 2013, but yes, stick with 2012 if you want to be safe. No reason to upgrade.
  • sallavan
    hi I am trying to install the shader but I am getting an error. first time it was runtime error, then I run max as an administrative, but now there is a new error.so will you please let me know what I am doing wrong. thanks
    MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception
    -- Unknown property: "width" in undefined
    OK
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    What max version? Is this an error in the installer or in the shader? If in the shader, are you sure you're using Dx9 and not Nitrous?
  • sallavan
    it's max version 2011 and it's on Dx9.It is an error on installer. Like I said first I got the runtime error,after running max on administrative I have to use run script and this is the error I get. It's kind of weird because I was trying to install the TexTools, and I got an error for that one as well. But I got a message that the temporary folder is not accessable. So I am not sure if there is anything wrong with my machine or not.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    The latest version does not require admin rights anymore, I fixed that, so I'm not sure what's happening. I'd try to just reinstall it (get rid of old files first)
  • Sir Apple
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, I have a nub question.

For whatever reason, I can't get the maps to showup properly on the model.

As you see, the diffuse specifically, keeps showing up as a black map - I can't seem to figure out why, and why its lookin' all funky,

I'm running Max 2012, Nitrous is disabled and using D3D9.

NQWgrjz.jpg

Much thanks for any ideas/advice! :)
  • SPYFF
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Try to disable the Exposure control in viewport option, and gamma correction.
  • Wasp
    Hey Xoliul, could you perhaps take a look at the issue I'm having at the moment? I'm getting vastly different results in 3ds Max 2012 (see, I know! ;P) and Maya 2013, see below:

Maya:
    Haxxer_1381387931.jpg

Max:
    Haxxer_1381308932.jpg

Same smoothing groups, same UVs, same texture maps. What could the problem be?
  • Xolo
    Offline / Send Message
    Xolo polycounter lvl 10
    Hi folks.
    in 3ds max 2011 when I set the transparancy to 'none' and the viewport to smooth+highlights+edged faces+hardware I can't see the wireframes anymore.
    They show up fine with simple or best transparency though, only transparency doesnt work right then.

Would anyone know how to fix that?
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasp: either flip your normalmap channels (try green), or make sure no invalid tangent data has come along from Maya.

Xolo: that's not really related to my shader, Autodesk just has some weird problems with that stuff. In general I think it shouldn't be much of a problem, because once you get to the shader presentation stage you don't need to use the wireframe much and vice versa. At least I never actively modeled with my shader applied.
  • Xolo
    Offline / Send Message
    Xolo polycounter lvl 10
    Cheers for the reply Xoliul, I'll stick to simple for the moments that I need wires then.
    I like to see wires when placing alpha cards and my models tend to be nearly done when I am doing that so for me it sometimes makes sense to use presentation quality while building, hence the question.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Xoliul!

I just checked out your Shader and i have some Questions to it:

1. Is it fully compatible to Max 2014?
    Because in the Viewport preferences it only works well with this one:
    mfwsd8k3.jpg

With the Nitrous its coming to some Error Messages.

The next thing is that the applied normal looks funny in xoliul:
    866dnvyg.jpg

In Toolbag it looks so:
    j3qgjzdf.jpg

Is the Xoliul Shader not more in use?
    Please help Q_Q

Edit: Solved, Didn´t import the LowPoly with Smoothing Groups... -.-"
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    edit: nevermind
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Wiki!
    Sorry but i tried it out because i´m really new to max and i have troubles to apply a normal map in 3dsmax.
    cfl25uba.jpg

That´s the reason why i tried xoliul :(
    When i click on Normal Bump, no Window opens where i can select a normal.
    Only under "Bitmap"
    But that seams to be wrong

Gazu
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    No. I don't support my shader anymore. It will work decently up to 2012, after that it's all broken and I won't fix it anymore (Autodesk needs to fix their programs instead).
    Also you should just learn PBR texturing instead. Get Marmoset, it looks like it's pretty well suited for that.

BTW with that said, this thread can actually be closed. There's no point in bringing it up anymore just for me to say the same thing over and over.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Allright, good to know! Thx!

Sorry for pumpin up this thread!
    Dont hate me for that Q_Q xD
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu wrote: »
    Allright, good to know! Thx!

Sorry for pumpin up this thread!
    Dont hate me for that Q_Q xD

Oh no problem, that wasn't meant to sound angry at you at all, sorry for that.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
  • Aiden
    Hi..I installed the shader...But when I load an fx file (eg: 1.3 noshaders) I always get an error that says: " Error Loading File "
    and I also get a lot of problems about this shader...a lot of "Unknown Property script errors"
    I've already looked the entire thread here but the same solutions with the same problems...
This discussion has been closed.