• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Run Max as admin or turn off UAC.
  • SeguSh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UAC is off, Max run from the admin. But still did not help. What else can I try?
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeguSh wrote: »
    Hi, all! I ran into this error:
    error1rz.png
    error2wa.png
    Installed according to the instructions. I have installed Autodesk 3ds Max 2012 32bit. Latest updates are. Please help with this problem.

Hi there folks, I'm getting the same issue. I'm running windows 7, and max 2012 with all the current service updates.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    ya, im getting rly weird results with the bloom shader fx. any fix u know of?

btw, love this shader. my new fav. :)
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Hey all,

I have been trying to create a next gen eye setup for a character that I am working on at the moment and for some reason when I set the transparency to best the alphas break and look crazy.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115902

I have tried looking through the help files but they do not say anything regarding the transparency settings in 3ds max itself.

I was just wondering if you have any suggestions as to what I could change to avoid this issue? I have seen mother people get both the hair and eyes working so I am wondering if it could be to do with drivers or something :s

Thanks in advance :)

-- SOLUTION --

Strangely enough the solution to this was turning off transparency :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yea I just reinstalled the shader and I'm getting the same thing as SeguSh and Nebz.

UAC is off
    Running as admin
    Max2012 is a fresh install w/sp2, no other plugins/scripts/customizations.
    running in DirectX viewport mode
    .NET framework is up to date
    both .fx files were copied properly during installation.

I'm not sure what else to try atm. The only changes since the last time I had it installed was that I've switched to a Geforce 660ti (was using a 9800gtx before) and reinstalled Windows7.

The shader actually works, its just that none of the image-based buttons appear (they default to blank white blocks).
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check if any of the Max directories, like the scripts folder, is read-only. It just means it can't write the thumbnails.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I looked into this a bit deeper. It's basically saying it can't use any dotnet stuff.
    However, i can't replicate this at all on my pc: it works just fine. I did however install a ton of DotNetRuntimes: I remember there's like 4 or something, and having the "latest" does not necessarily mean it will work. Try a few on the Microsoft site. I'm sorry i can't give you guys the links right now, but they're fairly easy to google.
  • Teclis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teclis polycounter lvl 15
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Ok I looked into this a bit deeper. It's basically saying it can't use any dotnet stuff.
    However, i can't replicate this at all on my pc: it works just fine. I did however install a ton of DotNetRuntimes: I remember there's like 4 or something, and having the "latest" does not necessarily mean it will work. Try a few on the Microsoft site. I'm sorry i can't give you guys the links right now, but they're fairly easy to google.

I'm having the same Problems with the Type Error. Both on my work and private machines. I tried installing some differnet .Net Versions from the Microsoft page but that didn't help either.
    Is there some data i could provide that might help you?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I made an update, but i want it to be tested a bit before I really put it out there.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.viewportshader.com/XoliulShaderUI_update7.mzp

Let me know if it works, this might be a fix for the issue a lot of people have been getting recently.

You might have to manually uninstall the previous version, like so:
    (all of this is in you max install folder)
    in 3DsMax / scripts delete the whole XoliulShaderUI folder
    in 3DsMax/scripts/startup delete Xoliulshader_startup.ms
    in 3DsMax/maps/fx delete all (2 or 3) xoliulshader files
  • JM85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am new to the shader and was getting the exact same problem as SeguSh.

I uninstalled manually, but it still asked me to update? I did that. restarted and got different errors: screen dumps: http://s17.postimage.org/p6g2h64of/dmp.jpg

I noticed that some of the files failed to install this time, Im sure they did before so I manually copied them across but the errors are the same.

Ill keep playing and let you know, in case I screwed something else up on my end.
  • Teclis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i delted all the old xoliul shaders as you mentioned and reinstalled the ne version.
    Now i'm getting the following error's:

--Unknown poperty: "bClip" in(null):DirectX_Shader
    --Unknown poperty: "bDiffuseMap" in(null):DirectX_Shader
    --Unknown poperty: "gamma" in(null):DirectX_Shader
    --Unknown poperty: "bUseDiffuseMap" in(null):DirectX_Shader

so you also need a Screenshot of the maxscript window?
  • JM85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got it working. I deleted everything from the users directory and 3ds mzx directory and manually installed all files back to those directories. I got errors first time the shader is loaded, but subsequent loads in that session are so far working perfectly.

As for what the install problem is, I cant say. I tried it with antivirus & UAV off and admin, so I dont know.

EDIT:
    And its awesome. everything I was hoping It would be. Thanks :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Teclis wrote: »
    So i delted all the old xoliul shaders as you mentioned and reinstalled the ne version.
    Now i'm getting the following error's:

--Unknown poperty: "bClip" in(null):DirectX_Shader
    --Unknown poperty: "bDiffuseMap" in(null):DirectX_Shader
    --Unknown poperty: "gamma" in(null):DirectX_Shader
    --Unknown poperty: "bUseDiffuseMap" in(null):DirectX_Shader

so you also need a Screenshot of the maxscript window?

Yeah, I get the same has happened for sometime, started suddenly.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unknown properties = the installer failing to copy the .FX files over. I need to contact the install script's original author because I'm having trouble creating new ones. At least it's not the shader itself :)

thanks for the feedback guys. You can fix it by manually extracting to C:/users/youraccountname/appdata/local/autodesk/3dsmax 2012/enu/scripts (this folder is the USERSCRIPTS folder, requires no admin)

Also would anybody with this error mind checking if in the userscripts folder, the XoliulshaderUI/fx folder contains 6 files ? 3 .FX and 3 .FXH files.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To me that folder only contains the 3 fxh files not the fx files.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also works perfectly with manual extracting :D
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Ouch - I've just got a new comp built and tried to install and am having the same problems as everybody above :(

Can anybody who has got the shader working write down exactly the steps they got it to work? I've tried numerous attempts at deleting files, re-installing, manually copying files across but still get errors whatever I try.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Sam, refer to this post: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1768174#post1768174

and try again. I'm trying to sort out this update slowly but surely.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm - well it seems that clearing out all of my old Xoliul shader files and dragging the new XoliulShaderUI_Update7.MZP file to install didn't work initially - I still got the Maxscript errors, but, after clearing these and dragging the MZP into Max again, and choosing the Upgrade option, everything is working once again :)
  • Teclis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At first I installed the shader copied the files manualy and it seemed to work. I got some errors the first start but then it worked.
    Sometime later (o Wonder :P) max crashed while i was loading a new scene and after that
    i couldn't get the shader working anymore. Manymany errors. I'll try it at home again if there is the same Problem i'll come back crying :)
  • JM85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those who need the workaround still until its fixed just follow these steps:

install normally, then open up the .mzp file as a zip archive and move the 3 Xoliulshader .fx files to your max user folder, ie:
    C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2012 - 64bit\enu\scripts\XoliulShaderUI\fx\

I *think* that was all. I wasnt very tactful and just put stuff everywhere.

when you create a Xoliul shader the first time and everytime you open max it will throw lots of script errors and not work. Create another Xoliul shader instance and it should load fine.

Next time you load max, dont load your scene, first you need to create a Xoliul shader in a blank scene otherwise it will throw errors evertime you try and edit the shader on your model and you will have a bad day.

Hopefully that is all.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I figured it out.
    This new update should do everything automatically.

Uninstall is also working now, it never did because of some silly problem.
    Safest thing is to drag and drop, then pick Uninstall, then Install, then reboot max.
  • Teclis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah this works on both machines now. Thank you very much :)

Now that it works i have one qustion, i'm not getting a shadow. I created a testscene with a pot and plane but the teapot doesn't cast a shadow on the plane. Is there anything special i have to do in to activate the shadows for the shader?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Just wanted to let you know the maya link does not work, http://viewportshader.com/XoliulShaderCore.rar leads to a 404, any chance you can fix?

Also, I saw just last week when I googled for 'xoliul' a page (no idea the URL) in middle grey, with a list of the features, most using a sphere, but one with a yellow taxi model, and several spheres were animated gifs. Was this page hosted by you? and is there any chance you could re link it somewhere? I really liked that page.
  • Teclis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i looked at it, but it seems to show only the different types. I don't even get the hard shadow working. I set up a really basi scene, one omni light, turned shdows on and set it to hard.
    I made a screenshot with the shader and standart material
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to let you know the maya link does not work, http://viewportshader.com/XoliulShaderCore.rar leads to a 404, any chance you can fix?

Also, I saw just last week when I googled for 'xoliul' a page (no idea the URL) in middle grey, with a list of the features, most using a sphere, but one with a yellow taxi model, and several spheres were animated gifs. Was this page hosted by you? and is there any chance you could re link it somewhere? I really liked that page.

Hey Ben, I'm still slowly bringing things back to the new page. The Maya version and the "Features" page are still missing. If I have time, I'll do it tonight.

Teclis: that is very peculiar. Normally it should work. The only time I have experienced shadows working on std mats, but not my shader, is when there's no ground plane beneath the light. You do have that however.
    Alternatively: Orthographic view is bad news for shaders, try to never use this, it messes things up. Also, the light might be too far away, could depend on your unit setup/scene scale.
    Can you try with a non UI shader (through DirectX material, the old version) ? If that works I know the UI is messing up somewhere (would surprise me as I haven't touched that code for ages). If it doesn't then I'm afraid it's just Max not playing nice; you'll have to take my word for it that Max isn't very nice or stable with realtime shaders.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Is the error you would get after using RTT fixed? I loved using this but that throws me off.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben: I just brought the features page back: http://viewportshader.com/features
    The core files are also up again.
    Popeye9 wrote: »
    Is the error you would get after using RTT fixed? I loved using this but that throws me off.

As far as I can see in the latest version, this works fine! I never knew about actual errors with RTT though, just that it slowed down the loading.
    Please, just try the latest and report back!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks!
  • Teclis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i did run a few tests. Seems its an scene issue of max2013 default settings.
    A coworker of mine is getting the same Problem.

But when i create the same scene in 2012 it works with shadow. So i saved from 2013 to 2012 and it had no shadow (and the placeholder texture from your ui applied to the diffuse).
    But creating the scene in 2012 and opening it in 2013 shows the shadow which is really strange.

Perspective/ortho make no difference in this special case.
    Hardware shading set to standard material shows shadow.
    DirectX shader as material shows no shadow neither in 2013 nor in 2012.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another one to add to the list of "stuff that worked fine but got broken in 2013". I recommend to just stay with 2012...
  • DEDE_pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEDE_pig polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys !

Need some help here in installing, cant seem to get working due to some maxscript error

Untitled-1_zps6d707d9f.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure you download the latest mzp. Make sure it didn't get renamed to .rar or .zip, it has to be .mzp. Make sure you have the latest dotnet runtimes.

I've never seen this error before and nobody seems to have had it for the past year and a half. You can always do a manual install if you want, just extract all the files to the userscripts folder and then move the startup script to the startup folder. (sorry no time to type letter-by-letter specifics, you should be able to figure it out)
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    I had problem with Shader in Max 2013 . I updated the shader with the latest version and now every thing is OK .

very thanks !
  • K47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K47
    I`m having problems with the latest version of XoliulShader in Max 2013. The bakes are ok, they render correctly in xNormal but Xoliul renders black seams across smoothing groups. Is there a fix for this? Or should i switch to Max 2012?

Thanks!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're better off with 2012, 2013 is pretty broken.
  • thane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about a map for the gradient ambient color or fresnel diffuse? I never tried to do a very fine execution of it with other shaders, but I had the idea to do so. Thought it could be cool.
  • Chrishq17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Xoluil, I saw someone else had this error but i didn't see if there was a fix or workaround. I was having the following error come up when in click the "Apply preset without light creation" button for the lights in the material presets. I am asked to show max where the .dds file is for the preset i selected and once I point max to the file i get the following MAXScript error "-- type error: set property requires BitMap, got: undefined" and it shows me there is a problem with line 705 "*pMap = openbitmap (m_AbsolutePath)". I am currently using 3dsMax 2012 with all of the updates applied and I am on Windows 7. Is there something I can do the fix?

Update: I figured it out, I needed to copy the scripts into the max scripts dir. I made a rookie mistake
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for fixing the links to the features page and maya download. One problem I am having is making the shader work like glass, where the global opacity is 0, but the specular still shows up. I am working in maya, and I was able to get this working well in max, maybe it is not possible, but was hoping I overlooked a tick box somewhere.

Just to be clear, when I reduce the global opacity slider, it effects the specular's opacity as well, before I remember it leaving the specular alone.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ben,

that should still be there I think. it's the checkbox "opaque reflections" in the reflection tab. It toggles whether opacity affects reflections and i think specular. It's basically a switch for masking or glass like behavior.

I'm not too sure where it is Maya ( it should have it though ) since I have honestly not touched that version in years... It shouldn't be a lot of work to put that in though; if you're not afraid you could probably use a Diff program like Sourceforge DiffMerge to transplant the relevant code bits to the Maya version. Might do it myself some point in the future, but Maya is always going to be the ugly stepchild for me when it comes to shaders unfortunately.
  • shaderfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaderfx polycounter lvl 9
    but Maya is always going to be the ugly stepchild when it comes to shaders unfortunately.

Why do you have to hurt me like that, Laurens?

:)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha Kees, don't take it wrong! I mean that to me, for this shader. I can't really dedicate the time and resources to 2 versions for very different programs, especially when having to consider backwards compatibility :( It's hard enough to keep up with what is happening to Max alone...
  • Slayvin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I've been working on a CGFX version of the Xoliul's shader, for Maya.
    Thanks to Xoliul for allowing me to do it! And also thanks to Amadreaus for testing the shader and giving his feedback :)

I made this version because I wanted to be able to use it with viewport 2.0 (and hardware renderer), which was not possible with the original hlsl version (or is it because I have a ATI card?).
    Anyway, the shader is slightly different than the original one, basically because of some ATI cards compatibility issues.
    But all the main features are still there!

For download and features (Xoliul's style) go to http://www.slayvin.net/tools-xoliul_shader
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Slayvin wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been working on a CGFX version of the Xoliul's shader, for Maya.
    Thanks to Xoliul for allowing me to do it! And also thanks to Amadreaus for testing the shader and giving his feedback :)

I made this version because I wanted to be able to use it with viewport 2.0 (and hardware renderer), which was not possible with the original hlsl version (or is it because I have a ATI card?).
    Anyway, the shader is slightly different than the original one, basically because of some ATI cards compatibility issues.
    But all the main features are still there!

For download and features (Xoliul's style) go to http://www.slayvin.net/tools-xoliul_shader

Oh man i love you - finally one for maya - ill give it a try
    and post a feedback soon
    thanks again ;)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha wow, you went pretty far with this, good time to post it as well!
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work Slayvin :)
  • Slayvin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I'm glad to help :)
    Haha wow, you went pretty far with this, good time to post it as well!
    Yeah! I really wanted to go as far as possible with this, besides it's a good ad for my portfolio ;)
  • mediochrea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mediochrea polycounter lvl 10
    Huge thanks to both Xoliul and Slayvin, you are gods on earth! The cgfx version works nicely in Maya 2013. There's a tiny annoyance though, and I'm not completely sure it's the shader's fault: when I have the shader on, and there's no AO map applied, it will constantly spam the script editor output with
    // Warning: cgfxShader cgfxShader1 : failed to load texture "AOMapSampler". //
    until I assign a file to it. Mildly annoying. But then again, it might be just me being stupid again. Thanks again for the shader guys, it really helps!
This discussion has been closed.