bounchfx mod
bounchfx's creations

Link to my Workshop Page

_____Accepted_____

bounchfx_thread_showcasepng
200x200resizedimage200x200resizedimage200x200resizedimage 200x200resizedimage
200x200resizedimage

_____Submitted_____

200x200resizedimage 200x200resizedimage 200x200resizedimage 200x200resizedimage200x200resizedimage 200x200resizedimage 200x200resizedimage 200x200resizedimage

Replies

• Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    With the spotlight method, wouldn't you get a different 'bake' every time you change the camera angle though? As in the example of the green spheres, you would have multiple green highlights one on the front, side, back because the matcap changes based on the camera every time you change it to paint a different angle, correct?
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Spudnik - yeah totally, but I actually like that about it. I can carefully place the model at the angle that I want, with the Matcap highlights hitting just right, transfer that, and then manually paint from there. I personally like these results better than what I have seen being generated by other techniques, which sometimes tend to remove highlights altogether. But yeah, there's no absolute best way for that kind of stuff :) Whatever works !
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    It's still happening !!

:)

Huge props to Bounch for the stellar modeling work and crystal clear textures !

There has been many technical challenges along the way to make it all work as a standalone set while still keeping compatibility with the default ES gear, and we are not totally done just yet, with tweaking and rigging still on their way. But it's getting there !

pior_bounch_ES_wip_001-small_zps791e116c.jpg~original

pior_bounch_ES_wip_002-small_zpsb72fb364.jpg~original

:D
  • Artypi
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    You two have done an incredible job on this set and it looks fantastic, grats!!!
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Wow - amazing execution and design on this one guys! Absolutely LOVE the crystal beads. Jealous!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Oh my dear god

okqh1iZ.gif

Everything is just so masterfully executed. From the initial concepts to the presentations. You guys are goddamn magicians!
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    If for some insane reason this is not added I will have lost all faith in humanity and the mighty Valve. Amazing work as usual guys.

p.s. I stood up and started a slow clap after seeing the finished work :poly136:
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Gems look great but the green cloth on his shoulder looks flat without any painted shadows/light. Same goes for the belt, looks very low quality compared to some of the other pieces.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    What's up with the clipping? Does that cloth-gem combo bothering anyone else? Will hair look awkward ingame, or are you going to skin it to the back?
  • bounchfx
    What's up with the clipping? Does that cloth-gem combo bothering anyone else? Will hair look awkward ingame, or are you going to skin it to the back?

Yeah, what's up with the clipping? Who does that?
    You'll have to stay tuned for the hair. I'll try not 2 let u down. omg
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Gems look great but the green cloth on his shoulder looks flat without any painted shadows/light. Same goes for the belt, looks very low quality compared to some of the other pieces.

the shirt nor the rope belt has had a texture pass yet, hold tight and stay thirsty my friend. Was there any part outside of the rope you were referring to? Thanks for the feedback!
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    fuuuuck, looks great guys, concept to execution is top shelf. Can we get a game view of it, i'm interested to see his silhouette with this gear on.
  • sadies
    I'm stunned!! Fits the hero perfectly and completely enhances his default look :) Fantastic work gents, ya nailed it!
  • GoSsS
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Stunning work guys !!!
  • Zaphk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing collab, guys! It's sooo beautiful <3
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Great work guys, I think the simple but bold texture work really sets this apart. Looking forward to seeing how it looks in game.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    the shirt nor the rope belt has had a texture pass yet, hold tight and stay thirsty my friend. Was there any part outside of the rope you were referring to? Thanks for the feedback!

Figured as much but also figured saying it doesn't hurt ^^ The only other thing that bothers me is the front end of the bracers, it worked in the concept because the gems were protruding outward and created a more interesting silhouette there but my guess is with the polycount restrictions the same isn't possible which looks a bit odd unfortunately.

I'd challenge you to bring a bit more of a hand-painted vibe to the textures. Compared to the concept, a lot of the colors (especially the goldish-bronzes) seem a bit matte. I really enjoyed the bold use of colors about your earlier sets like the PL set (geez so long ago ^^). Take the Lich set, for example, danidem always brings in a lot of that hand painted feel to his textures and is not afraid to go for saturated colors and contrast which I think makes them a great success. Rig now, a lot of the values are very close together I think you can really push it to the next level by pushing the textures more in the direction of the concept.

For reference:
    45tqnrS.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Spud! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

I absolutely agree, some of the areas can and will be pushed further, in regards to the gauntlet in particular I will try to darken that trim. It really does suck that we couldn't afford polys to give form to the crystals on the back of the hand, however looking at it in game you honestly can't tell. The normals do a great job.

As for the belt skirt and chest piece - do keep in mind the values change wildly while he is running around in game due to having 'metalness' in the mask channel applied (Especially regarding the skirt - when light is reflecting off of it it's quite brighter in value than the rest, this is intentional. It's just not ALWAYS way brighter. I'll experiment though!). Value ranges that seem narrow on some of the renders aren't particularly indicative of how it shows up or renders in game. But now that you've pointed it out I will definitely be keeping an eye on and tweaking some of the texture spots.

As far as hand painted feel goes.. I'm hit or miss on that. I try to match the style of what valve does in most cases. Sometimes I go for more painterly. Depends how well it will read, really. Contrast is definitely really important. And yeah, for most of my sets I generally like to add a bold color of something just outside of a heroes traditional palette. We stayed fairly safe for this one (color-wise) but I feel Pior did a fantastic job and I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Just want to chime in on the crystals on the hands, would it have been possible to make the crystals pyramids in the low poly? That would have come out to 24 more tris added, I'm just not sure how tight the limit was for you. But if it looks good in-game thats all that matters :D
  • Jewish Zebra
    I dont think a Earth Spirit gets any sexier ;) LOOKS AMAZING...
  • bounchfx
    so windows 8.1 just forced an update that deleted all my programs. Nice.

Thanks Microsoft.

:(
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
  • bounchfx
    Thank goodness for Cloud storage and external HD's as I have most of my important files, I just have no programs. Instead of polishing tonight and submitting, it seems like I'll be reinstalling all my programs and getting my settings working again.

Moral of the story: don't use windows 8.1

but seriously, what looked like an 'important update' (that forced me to reboot within 15 min for it), turned into a holy cleansing of all my shit. Be careful and keep your stuff backed up. I hope 8.1 doesn't do this again, but who knows... It's looking me right in the eye.
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    Im using 8.1 atm, did you check the name of that update? omg this sounds horrible :(
  • bounchfx
    I'm honestly not sure what it was called, or how it happened. I assumed too much and that wound up biting me in the ass. Never again, heh. I'm almost back ready to work again.. setting up a few more things. Oy!
  • HntrLuc
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Man that sucks Bounch! Annoying anytime, but especially in the middle of something :(

Great work from you two on the Earth Spirit set! It came out extremely cool!

edit: whoops! yes earth spirit :poly142:
  • bounchfx
    Hehe I think you mean Earth Spirit! I'm working to get it in ASAP. It's pretty much done, perhaps tomorrow night? The roadblock has sucked but I'm powering through it.

and thanks a ton man, appreciate it!
  • agito666
    i think i better hold my window 8 purchasing haha >_<
    using window 7 OEM atm...
  • bounchfx
    Hey guys! Haven't really given myself time to update the thread yet. Hope I can do a full overhaul of the OP sometime in the near future, but for now here's an update - The Spirits went in!

Together Red Moon, Boonta, and Pior put out three sets and a HUD. Earth Spirit, Storm Spirit, and Ember Spirit were all submitted and accepted for the New Bloom event. I was responsible for organizing the collab and modeling/texturing/rigging Storm Spirit and Earth Spirit. Pior helped out with some additional modeling as well with reprojecting and getting the lower poly Arms set up, as well as the hair and neck-balls. Then for shits and giggles he did all of the Stone Remnants! Boonta did a fantastic job with Ember all around.

Oroboros kicked some ass with concepts for both Storm Spirit and Ember Spirit. Andrew Helenek helped out by making the bad ass SFM and remnant poses for Ember and Storm.

There's more I'm sure I am forgetting, but overall it was a great experience in a ridiculously short amount of time and I am super proud of them.

and now for l
  • waffles.c
    Offline / Send Message
    waffles.c polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing sets so inspirational
  • bounchfx
    That's very kind of you waffles, thanks!

there's more stuff in the works currently; here's one - a courier. the scale is incorrect in here for the rocket but the idea is that he will stand on top of it and use it to fly for that form. Andrew is currently animating it. I still need to polish the texture and do the masks. This is currently diffuse only.

vCybbpMx2VqPfE0O

Thanks for looking!
  • bounchfx
    and one more update - been meaning to get to this set for a couple of months, finally making time for it now before stuff gets crazy. About halfway done with sculpting:

wE3GtWEU6HcymFjY

concept by Zeidrich

Thanks for lookin! :D
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    oh nice! loving that set for SD! But now I gotta amp up my efforts further on my own SD set D:
    Are you replacing the chains (armor) with the bracers? That was my thought as well, but wasn't sure if it was a real option.
  • bounchfx
    Heya danjohncox - Yeah, the bracers are gonna be instead of the chains. Totally looking forward to your set as well! SD needed some stuff and it's about time he gets attention, I think.

another update on the courier, masks still in progress and some more tweaks coming, etc.
    diKIgnzoSC8WlIxF

Thanks for looking!
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadow demon set is really nice, he needs some strong sets as well. Courier textures are also really tight. Cant wait to see the animations Andrew does for him, ill have to keep an eye on his thread.
  • bounchfx
    Another SD update. Will be texturing this one tomorrow as the LP is already done and unwrapped. I'm gonna do another pass on the tail to make it asymmetrical but otherwise it should be good to go after I polypaint it.

dz4LVeYNuuHyk3Gt
  • multitud3
    Offline / Send Message
    multitud3 polycounter lvl 5
    this is looking great, man. can't wait to see it all painted up.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Love the sculpt and how badass it looks on him
  • bounchfx
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. Here's the unlit textures. Working on the masks tomorrow then should be all good to go minus some small mesh and color tweaks.

Also, I've learned my lesson. Never, ever spend time on textures again. At least not the way I do :(. I think i'm gonna start zooming way out when I paint textures. I have such a bad habit of over detailing and inflating my work time unnecessarily. What I spend 6 hours on could take 1 if I remembered how much actually shows up in game. I did record my texture process though and will compile the videos when I can. Even if it's not entirely applicable to Dota (too much texturing!) maybe it will still help someone somehow.

M4936tSLxzdiwZcy

Thanks for looking!
  • Soldeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome set, as everything you do!. And yeah, I'm sure that texturing video is going to be awesome!, even if most of the work isn't applicable to dota itself, can't wait to take a look at it :3.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    fwwwooaaaaarrhhh that looks really good. Can't wait to see how it looks in-game.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    I can totally relate Bounch! i get sucked in way too easily into the details when texturing. I would say that even happens to me during the sculpting stage. I think it just takes time working with 256 etc textures to start to really think about what gets annihilated when you down res textures at the end. The only plus is that you have some extra detail when you make marketing shots, also makes nice portfolio pieces. Great job on the textures so far though.
  • cottonwings
    Trevor's right on that, save that to show you much love you gave to this set! And I friggin love the belt part, not gonna mess with any player wearing this.
  • bounchfx
    hey guys, been busy with a lot of stuff and I've had pretty much no free time, but I wanted to take a minute to update this thread with the latest submissions.

Shadow Demon is going through a final pass and should probably be submitted late next week.

In the meantime:

Set for one of my favorite characters - Shadow Shaman!
    637x358.resizedimage

Dragon Ward!
    637x358.resizedimage

and a courier for a Korean caster! This one was super fun to make, I'm really happy with how it came out.
    637x358.resizedimage

Lastly, here's a WIP of a ward we're making for Jimo:
    6Tz0uJlbpX2Bxf1f

Thanks so much for stopping by!
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Like this ward! Btw, when is your sd will be finished?
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    + texturing vids for SD pretty please :D
  • bounchfx
    @Spud, I will do my best to get this stuff up soon, I really need to for my own sake, thank you for the reminder! I'm going to estimate maybe 1-2 weeks? I'll try to get it sooner, once i get a copy of AE.

Shadow Demon is finally in! Vote if you like it!

637x358.resizedimage

Thanks for looking guys!!
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    I like it so i voted it up haha ^______^
    Man seriously this is kind of set that shadow demon need. Nothing goofy, just pure power and corruption!! I especially like his belt and armor around the neck, those two parts came out the best.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great man, really like the belt, but there all strong items.
  • bounchfx
    Thanks guys! SD doesn't have much, so hopefully both of the new sets go in sometime soon, I know I'd appreciate more choice as a player.

In the meantime I've finished the Jimo ward:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=239845208

jimoWards.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yetF0AXw9q4

and here's the ESL Ward and Earthshaker Totem. I would add in game shots of the totem, but I figure that can wait until they announce/show it off with the Compendium whenever that launches.

jaggedVision.gif

GbMJVkdcHRxsFrlX

9Y4a1KGvKgGC3h6y

and yes yes I know, SD texture vids :(, I haven't had any extra time since the ESL items take priority, but they should all be done very, very soon.

Thanks for looking!