Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

That is so cartoony i can actually feel art direction digging it's grave.
    [/LEFT]

i really can't understand why some in the community dislike that so much, just look at slark and the fish on his arm, its not like he is all dead serious. I can understand that for the more humanoid characters but there are a cew that are whacky enough to do something funny with them.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Anyway guys if you don't mind I would like you to make an "clown/butterfly test" (don't know how we could call that) for my new QoP set. Idea behind this set was to create proper succubus with more daemon like wings (crippled - pointing finger is missing because it was removed so she would be not able to fly, and could not escape form her master - so in other words she is only capable of blinking). Also we added her a tail so she would be more succubish :). Armor is also more heavy - similar to what she already has on her boots and knees.
    Ad the end there will be some chains/decors/earrings added.
    Anyway I hope you will like it, if something would look outside of character/lore please let me know :)
    akfv4l.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty damn awesome Konras! How'd you do the trim/the patterns on the shoulder/bracer if you don't mind me asking, they looks really clean!
  • Kuhlhaus
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Spudnik I used masking to make an shape. Than in tool-deformations made and inflate-ballon out of inverted mask selection. After that I flattened the sides with flatten/trim-dynamic brush. Not the best method but it works :)
  • sadies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice qop Konras! Her horns have a nice flow to them and look really cool :D

zaphk - all of your promotion artwork <3<3 i love that luna and mirana's match
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    Konras wrote: »
    @Spudnik I used masking to make an shape. Than in tool-deformations made and inflate-ballon out of inverted mask selection. After that I flattened the sides with flatten/trim-dynamic brush. Not the best method but it works :)

Thank's for the explanation.
    Doing those trims has always been one of the things that eluded me in Zbrush.
  • Robobobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
    153_max.jpg
    Hi everybody!
    Here's mine and Crowntail new set for Nyx, also check out video with custom music
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6dn-AhlAw0&quot;]Alpha predator Nyx set - YouTube[/ame]
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

That is so cartoony i can actually feel art direction digging it's grave.
    [/LEFT]

I know my ingleeesh is very lackey, but is that an actual mean comment ? if so, coming from such a figure from vlad, is very disappointing.
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    Fantastic Nyx set Robo! Wow! O_O
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Sharc wrote: »
    That's pretty much what I've been doing for the entire past year. It would help if they commented more on what would help get stuff ingame.

Heh I dont even know the magic formula. Just keep making stuff, keep working hard. Make items for yourself, for your own progression and development as an artist and if it gets in, bonus.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Neox wrote: »
    I think coming from the EU you'll only have to fill out the W 8BEN form, i mailed my tax consultant she should be around tomorrow, i'm pretty sure the US tax numbers do not apply to foreigners

OK for everyone that is still figuring out to get an ITIN or EIN, GET AN EIN NUMBER!

An ITIN number is only available by mail response, so you need to fill in all kind of forms to wait at least 6 to 8 weeks. If everything is correct your lucky if not it's a nightmare.

An Ein can be requested by phone and only takes about 5 to 10min. Depends on your english and how hard everything is to spell :p Just mention you are a sole prioriter, and you are working on 3D modeling and your set.

@Konras: Looking great, I think that will be one of my favorites for QoP swso far!

Made some progress on my CK set, almost finished all high poly models, still need to make a concept for the head though.. comments are always welcome! :)

3lghqcZ.jpg
  • darkartsofneko
    I was working on my masks for my set today, and when I uploaded them to see how they looked, I noticed they caused weird shadows on my model. Does anyone know what would have caused this or how to fix it? The model on the left just has a 50% gray plane (with a spot of white and black in it) as the masks, and the one on the right has my custom masks.
    12_zps5d213cd6.png
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    Robobobo wrote: »
    Hi everybody!
    Here's mine and Crowntail new set for Nyx, also check out video with custom music
    Alpha predator Nyx set - YouTube

hoooooly crap robo you're on a roll.

reminds me of those new zerg from HotS. that looks really cool
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, quick question: is it possible to do custom anims ? not custom trigger anims like my last question, but any custom anims at all. Like i want some part of my model to be constantly rotating. Is it possible even if i dont use the main rig and add bones of my own ?

This is very important to me and any answers are appreciated.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Weird, all I can feel is pride and a definite positive response from the community.

you will never get the badge "vlad´s approved this one" =]
  • mickross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im losing my mind; im trying to attach a head object to Broodmother.

In Maya main brood file im smooth binding the object to Hair_R1C0 and it is not appearing in the right position. I try attaching it to joints further up the heirarchy and same deal, it either doesn't attach or gets stuck somewhere strange where I can't see it in-game. When I can see it the textures are fine so its not invis.

And yes I center pivot, freeze transforms, delete all deformer/history.

The skeletal structure does seem to function differently to many of the other character models; though im still learning so have tried hours of testing and can't seem to isolate the issue other then its 'horribly flaky'.

Has anyone worked with Brood that can help me out with this one?
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Neox wrote: »
    i really can't understand why some in the community dislike that so much, just look at slark and the fish on his arm, its not like he is all dead serious. I can understand that for the more humanoid characters but there are a cew that are whacky enough to do something funny with them.
    It's not so much as the fish, but the style it's executed. While slark has fish armor on him it has painterly, bot cartoony look. The eyes look somewhat realistic, the details are actual geometry and the maks are slimy and shiny.
    The armor bits look more like slardar, and go perfectly with the default slark, who's while a fish, feels pretty realistic with his sharp teeth, slimy stuff coming out and eye that actually works.

TL;DR Slark items look like actual fish in color and structure.
    if you compare, you can see that daggers fish eye is not working (with the painterly look, i mean) at all, even if it was the eye like the Slark got, it's still deformed and fish can't look around.

The teeth are coming out of nowhere, if that's a jaw, there should be more volume, right now it's not clear what it actually is, a dagger that looks like a fish or a dagger-fish, if it's the later, then it makes no sense.

The actual body lack any scales or fish qualities, compare to the default slark, where each piece got some coloring or scales that actually mimic some fish.
    The bottom jaw is painted on and if the creature tries to open it's mouth, it'll break in half.

etoiYtz.jpg

Not to say that Slark uses shivs, not fish as his weapon. It would've been okay to use shiv made out of dead fish, but using the dagger-fish hybrid that somehow has character with all the smirking and funny eyes seems innappropriate to me.

At first i thought it was a courier, which would've been fine, courier got their own style, but as a Slark, i think it clashes with his overall style too much.

I made this crappy comparison from two famous animations
    lq63HEi.jpg
    definite positive response from the community.
    yJs9NoI.jpg

I know my ingleeesh is very lackey, but is that an actual mean comment ? if so, coming from such a figure from vlad, is very disappointing.
    And why is that? Tell me what you think about my figure?
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    you will never get the badge "vlad´s approved this one" =]
    Yeah, and it looks so good!
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Weird, all I can feel is pride and a definite positive response from the community.

10/10
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    I like it, Dan likes it and we're both proud of it as a piece of art and an item for Dota 2 - everything more than that is just gravy.

If you don't like it or don't think it fits into the realm of Dota 2 that's totally fine and I respect your opinion.

I personally feel there's more to be gained from pushing the boundaries of what could work within Dota 2 and what I'm capable of as an artist rather than constantly playing it safe and producing underwhelming items.

There's no need to get your manifesto hat on unless it gets into the game.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    BrontoThunder I like the idea and the execution , the only thing I would do is desaturate it alittle ( feels way more intense than slark himself ) and maybe make the eyes (pupils) round and to the center to be more vissible from ingame .

hahahaha that USSR pudge is so bawss
  • A1mb0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A1mb0t polycounter lvl 9
    @Robobobo I hope having custom music for the item videos is not getting the new standard ;)
    Nice work on the set!

Oh god never saw that USSR Pudge before, I hope i never have to see that one ingame, or EU servers will be flooded by even more angry (russian) pudge players haha!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Got the leg and back slot nearly done for Sharc and mine's Dazzle set.

duality_wip_01.jpg

duality_wip_02.jpg

duality_wip_03.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    I like it, Dan likes it and we're both proud of it as a piece of art and an item for Dota 2 - everything more than that is just gravy.

If you don't like it or don't think it fits into the realm of Dota 2 that's totally fine and I respect your opinion.

I could swear i've seen that fish in some cartoon before. this or similar. anyways, I totally understand vlads opinion on this, still its up to valve to decide if this fits their idea of dota2 style. so i'm looking forward to see if it gets into the store.
  • Robobobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mates!)
  • Robobobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mates!)
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Robo I really love your Nyx set. Best set ever for me! However I do see that one does not simply walk into Reddit with anything outside of the box ; ). In my opinion Nyx is all about spikes, fear, danger, etc. Sadly people catch on one critical opinion and repeat the same thing over and over again.
  • Robobobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man! ppl are ppl) I only hope valve would like it :3
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    I just want to add my vote to that Nyx set which is amazing and the design is very well thought out.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I personally feel there's more to be gained from pushing the boundaries of what could work within Dota 2 and what I'm capable of as an artist rather than constantly playing it safe and producing underwhelming items.

There's no need to get your manifesto hat on unless it gets into the game.
    I'm not saying it's bad or anything, theconcept is nice and execution is superb, i just think it's too cartoony for D2 look and explained that to Neox.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    I like what you did with the colors Robo. I hope it gets in and ads some color variety to nyx. just red and gold kinda limits it imho.
  • Hawkseye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawkseye polycounter lvl 4
    Finished a set for Slark. Critique is welcome :]

Is the nose ring too much?

And that Nyx set is amazing, im not a huge fan of the jungle colors but i'll definitely buy it if it gets in :]

npbx.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_moe8rhBzt01r43xj0o1_1280.png
    not sure if I posted this here
    just some concept experimenting
  • darkartsofneko
    @Hawkseye: I think the nose ring is too much, it makes me think of a bull and just looks really out of place with Slark's character design.
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawkseye wrote: »

And that Nyx set is amazing, im not a huge fan of the jungle colors but i'll definitely buy it if it gets in :]

npbx.jpg

Looking good man. It looks like you rushed the brighter leather straps though. Spend a bit more on them and give them some thickness!
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalizing Clinkz bow based on Sharc's concept. Some critique would be appreciated it.

SJtVju3.jpg

RzSU5fc.jpg
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    So I got my EIN today, it was very easy just like everyone said. A 10 minute call is all it took. I just have one more question. Will it be acceptable to fill in the W-8BEN digitally with my graphics tablet? I do not have a scanner or printer since moving house and I don't want to take this into work just to avoid the questions.
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just made a sigil for my old Tusk set, vote if u like
    3mcZYBj.jpg
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And why is that? Tell me what you think about my figure?

OK, maybe my English doesn't suck as much, maybe I'm just too conservative.
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have this question; I cant find the answer on the internet :(

Can i even add the simplest looping animation to my items ?
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Hawkseye wrote: »

Looks great, but yeah, the nose ring is too much IMO. Might I suggest a smaller one through one of the nostrils or something? It wont show as well in game but I think it'd look great in the portrait!
    I still have this question; I cant find the answer on the internet :(

Can i even add the simplest looping animation to my items ?

Nope, no item animation. (yet?) You're stuck with the default bones and animation as far as I can tell!
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    So I got my EIN today, it was very easy just like everyone said. A 10 minute call is all it took. I just have one more question. Will it be acceptable to fill in the W-8BEN digitally with my graphics tablet? I do not have a scanner or printer since moving house and I don't want to take this into work just to avoid the questions.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf

You can type in everything minus the signature, which you can sign in adobe reader.
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you make hit boxes for an NPC inside of Maya? Or do you have to do them inside of HLMV like it talks about on the wiki? And are attachment points done when you submit the model using the publisher?
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    Does anyone have any experience getting royalties for Dota items while on a visa in the USA?

also anyone else having trouble importing meshes in the latest dota 2 test client? i get mdl compiling errors. (works fine on non test client however)
  • iRYO400
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everybody!
    There are so lively discussion about the workshop, I like it :D

Y-y I'd done upgrading Sven's sword, I think its last upd for it. and I wonder what do you think about it, pro's?
    ver.2 steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=152873373
    ver.1 steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=151827857
    please comment, how is it?

did somebody say that can't to test some heroes? lolz, just pick any hero, then write this in chat "-createhero *hero's name*", for example -createhero axe, createhero bane etc. it's bot, but u can control him

p.s. sry for bad English, I learn it
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12

i used a tablet for mine.

also in other news i fiiiinally finished!

MFcXbAG.png
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    That helm silhouette is fucken sick! :D
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I left it blank. Worked for me.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iRYO400 wrote: »
    Hello everybody!
    There are so lively discussion about the workshop, I like it :D

Y-y I'd done upgrading Sven's sword, I think its last upd for it. and I wonder what do you think about it, pro's?
    ver.2 steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=152873373
    ver.1 steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=151827857
    please comment, how is it?

did somebody say that can't to test some heroes? lolz, just pick any hero, then write this in chat "-createhero *hero's name*", for example -createhero axe, createhero bane etc. it's bot, but u can control him

p.s. sry for bad English, I learn it

Thanks. I will try that when I get back home.
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    im looking for someone to animate and rig this lil guy im working on
    Capture1_zpsc0a02fab.jpg