Home General Discussion

Diablo 3

Replies

• EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Hardcore characters downed:
    Monday-mondays suck so I started with this day and figured they'd die quickly, and sure enough, died in 40 minutes
    Tuesday died at level 14 when I went to get a drink. sniff
    Wednesday just died on Belial when I stepped in the poo. I got 2 legendaries on this character by level 21 and died using one of them. Kind of surprised I died there. Oh well.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Hardcore is definitely an awesome time. I've been playing hardcore, MP10 lately. You dont have to worry about finding xp gear, because the extra 100% xp makes you out level the game in normal / nightmare (or so i hear). Currently in Act 3. lvl 25ish right now on my WD

Also, I changed my battle tag. eXawSt#1515
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, hardcore is definitely a fun challenge. I think for future attempts I'll avoid 5 person groups though :P Things were going pretty smoothly solo.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Jay Wilson quit the D3 team... http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592242994
    Hey everyone,

I wanted all of you to be some of the first to know that I've made an important decision about my future, and how that decision will affect the future of Diablo.

I recently celebrated my seven-year anniversary working on Diablo III, and while it's been one of the most challenging and rewarding periods of my life, I've reached a point creatively where I'm looking forward to working on something new. The powers that be at Blizzard have been gracious enough to give me that opportunity. Over the course of the next several weeks, I will be moving off of the Diablo III project and transitioning elsewhere within Blizzard. This decision was not an easy one for me, and not one I made quickly, but ultimately it's what I feel is right.

The first thing I want to assure you all is that this will not negatively impact our ongoing support of Diablo III. The game was not made by one person, far from it, and the team that poured their passion and considerable talent into it isn't going anywhere. We have lots of things planned for the future, and those plans will carry forward as normal. I also won't be abandoning the team, and will remain available to them during the transition period while we determine who will take over duties as game director.

To that point, you shouldn't be surprised if you see a job posting for a game director on Diablo III, as we want to make sure we explore every opportunity to find the best possible leadership for the project. We're looking forward to finding this person and hearing what kind of fresh ideas they can bring to the table.

I'm proud of Diablo III, and despite our differences at times I will miss the community that has formed around it. I feel I have made many mistakes in managing that relationship, but my intent was always to provide a great gaming experience, and be as open and receptive as possible, while still sticking true to the vision the Diablo team has for the game.

I know some of you feel we fell short of our promise to release the game "when it's ready." While we're not perfect, we try to make the best decisions we can with the information and knowledge we have at the time. That doesn't mean we always make the right decisions, but if we made a mistake then I feel we've made an exceptional effort to correct it.

This is what you can always count on from Blizzard: that we will stand by our games and make every effort to continually improve them over time. We heard the feedback and suggestions from the community. For example, we agreed that Diablo III's itemization at launch was not good enough, so the team made numerous changes, including changing drop rates, re-tuning legendaries, and adding scores of new items to the game. We also agreed that the end game needed more depth, so the team added new events, and new systems like Monster Power and Paragon levels.

Our commitment to making our games as good as they can be is what has always defined Blizzard as a game studio, and that commitment never ends for us at a ship date. With your help, we'll continue to play, debate, and improve Diablo III, as we've done with every Blizzard game.

To that end, patch 1.0.7 is underway, the PTR is live, and there are many other great things brewing for Diablo in 2013. I'm leaving Diablo III in good hands, and my departure will not jeopardize the progress of the game as we continue to do what we do: listen, play, and improve.

You are the most passionate, dedicated group of gamers a designer could hope to have. I wish you all the best, and want to thank you for making this an amazing experience for me. Keep your axes sharp, your spell books handy, and that crafty devil in check.

--Jay
  • Isaiah Sherman
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Please don't tell me he wants to work on Warcraft IV, please god. Don't let him near that game.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Well, i will come back to play D3 with the new patch.

I enjoy the game a lot, and i'm sure they will do a greater job.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar wrote: »
    Please don't tell me he wants to work on Warcraft IV, please god. Don't let him near that game.

There is never gonna be W4. I don't think Blizzard will abandon WoW.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I wouldn't count on that. Same franchise, different games. I don't see how releasing a Warcraft 4 would be 'abandoning WoW'.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it's not a case of abandoning wow. it's that both games lores are tied together so heavily. anything they've implimented into wow affects the lore of a new warcraft game. and since wow is "constantly evolving", lore wise, placing warcraft 4 into the continuum would be very difficult.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WoW itself is to be abandoned when the new MMO comes out, isn't that the plan?

Unless they think they can keep two games running without cannibalizing their own sales...
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    recent talk from the devs say that the two games can coexist.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    If blizzard follows the trend from other media, Warcraft 4 will be a prequel! ^^
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought Diablo 3 not too long ago. I did not enjoy it, I still prefer Diablo 2.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uncle wrote: »
    There is never gonna be W4. I don't think Blizzard will abandon WoW.

There will be a Warcraft 4, once WoW looses to many people and Blizzard no longer sees the green rolling in they will just drop the production for World of Warcraft. They can't keep the expansions up forever you know. Then they will go back to the strategy fans which they abandoned with the creation of World of Wacraft.

There are two reasons that Warcraft 4 will fail if you compare it to Warcraft 3. There's going to be a huge gap in the series, just like it was with Diablo 3. Lately Blizzard have changed, they don't seem to make games because they love it. But because of the green paper that rolls in. The second and the most important reason why Warcraft 4 will fail. That is, custom games and mods. The one reason Warcraft 3 sold so much is because of map editor that shipped with the game. Blizzard proved that with Starcraft 2 that they don't give a shit about modding/editors. Two and a half year later and there still isn't any major update to the editor, it's still as bad as it was when it came out. Their so called StarTools still isn't out.

Warcraft 4 will come, and it will delivery the same disappointment that Diablo 3 delivered.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Ouch, that's pretty harsh man.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I seriously doubt WoW will get abandoned anytime soon, don't cry doom until WoW drops below half a million subs.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    You know, maybe I wasn't "playing it right" or hardcore enough, but I really never understood the amount of hate that Diablo 3 got. I really enjoyed it and still pick it up from time to time and play. I guess I am just surprised at the amount of people on different sites that are just blasting this guy.

As for Warcraft 4, I really don't see why they can't make the game concurrent with WoW as a side story. There are enough books and comics that come out in the WoW universe, why not a game featuring side characters?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    praetus wrote: »
    You know, maybe I wasn't "playing it right" or hardcore enough, but I really never understood the amount of hate that Diablo 3 got. I really enjoyed it and still pick it up from time to time and play. I guess I am just surprised at the amount of people on different sites that are just blasting this guy.

I play almost every day still. Ya, it could use improvements. But just because its different, doesnt make it bad
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    I like how confident you are in your reality of things. :poly122:

Tekoppar wrote: »
    There will be a Warcraft 4, once WoW looses to many people and Blizzard no longer sees the green rolling in they will just drop the production for World of Warcraft. They can't keep the expansions up forever you know. Then they will go back to the strategy fans which they abandoned with the creation of World of Wacraft.

There are two reasons that Warcraft 4 will fail if you compare it to Warcraft 3. There's going to be a huge gap in the series, just like it was with Diablo 3. Lately Blizzard have changed, they don't seem to make games because they love it. But because of the green paper that rolls in. The second and the most important reason why Warcraft 4 will fail. That is, custom games and mods. The one reason Warcraft 3 sold so much is because of map editor that shipped with the game. Blizzard proved that with Starcraft 2 that they don't give a shit about modding/editors. Two and a half year later and there still isn't any major update to the editor, it's still as bad as it was when it came out. Their so called StarTools still isn't out.

Warcraft 4 will come, and it will delivery the same disappointment that Diablo 3 delivered.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    If Jay Wilson goes onto War4, that'll be fucking awesome!! Dawn of War is my favorite of the genre, its almost perfect :) Was never huge into WH40k prior to those games, it just plays great. Never played Company of Heroes, but have heard great things. If his influence can help make a War4, I'll be super stoked to play it.

Curious to play this patch! Not too into pvp, I want more bosses and demonssss :) New crafting patterns makes me happy, I'm a crafting addict.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    http://instagram.com/p/WjCTyLg9aW/

:(

60(2) Hardcore Monk dead, damn Plauge Vortex Horde Teleporters rocked me. Had a nice legendary shield too! Act 2 is the worst.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    how the hell did you manage to die on a monk?

you could have tempest rush farmed your way to paragon 100 in no time, and then lolled around forever.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I still play when Im not in the arse end of nowhere and theres a good connection.. mustly just farming gear for my wizard thats paragon 18 or something..

its still fun.. I should try out hardcore though..
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    how the hell did you manage to die on a monk?

you could have tempest rush farmed your way to paragon 100 in no time, and then lolled around forever.

In the entire time from normal to death i never went below 50% hp, its very easy to not die, i just got an unlucky string of enemy abilities I wasn't prepared for, was tired, i fail, etc. Never had a prob with 2-3 elite packs simultaneously, this one just rocked my face off.

Died to an elite pack with one of those sword bastards with the big heads in act 2. Not sure of all the affixes, but know it was at least Horde, Plague, and Vortex. The other must have been Fast, because the 15 rat-men who throw firebombs added a ton of incoming DPS on top of the plague pools and rapid fire sword attacks. Only so much i could do when getting chain stunned and sucked in all directions into piles of plauge (3-5 stacked on top of eachother), but i guess Tempest Rush would have been the one savior :)

Ive never used tempest rush, may give it a go. I've been using deadly reach/sanc/sweeping wind/evasion for a while, got really comfortable and invincible with it. Started a new hardcore monk and playing on MP10 to speed up dem levels, should be back to 60 in no time - tho I may wait until 1.08 with the new itemization changes.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I still play with my DH casually, but it's hard to lvl the paragon for me, i'm lvl 73 and it sucks to grind a whole act 3 to raise only a block on the exp bar.

anyone played the pvp?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Looks like D3 got a new game designer. Travis Day? Looks like he has a head on his shoulders.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/developer-journal-itemization-update-3-5-2013
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Blaizer wrote: »
    I still play with my DH casually, but it's hard to lvl the paragon for me, i'm lvl 73 and it sucks to grind a whole act 3 to raise only a block on the exp bar.

anyone played the pvp?

Have you tried adjusting your monster level? if you raise the monster level you'll get insane xp really fast to boost your level. Should help.. but it does make the game a lot more harder.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it worth returning? I have no gold so I can't buy any new gear if that matters. The news slipsius posted sounds fun. But I remember how hard and boring it was to farm, so any major changes to that? The Diablo 3 forums isn't really helpful when it comes to information for old players thats joining to play again.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well... there are more drops... those drops turn into lots of gold now... so you can stack up on gold pretty fast. Specially if you are playing with a higher Monster Level. I tried to go back.. did one playthrough.. and got bored. So might not be that much better... maybe all of this new stuff for rarity and making items actually powerful should be good.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    glottis8 wrote: »
    Have you tried adjusting your monster level? if you raise the monster level you'll get insane xp really fast to boost your level. Should help.. but it does make the game a lot more harder.

Yep, but my DH deals very low damage, and if at monsterl lvl1 i'm more than one hour... in monster level 5 it takes me ages to kill a elite mob.

BTW, me gear is so bad, that i could not create the unique ring, nor kill all the pairs of bosses.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ugh... that sucks... and raising your monster level is only with friends or solo... you can't just jump into someone elses game... it sucks. Do you have someone to play with? maybe i can gear you up sometime and get you through to level up and get some decent gear.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if you want to add me, i'll be on later this evening, Almightygir#1441. can help you level up or whatever for a bit.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I still play it quiet a bit. It's almost like a casual game for me. I'll jump in for a bit after I eat lunch or at the end of the day to unwind. Don't feel like I need to invest a ton of time.
  • glottis8
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Expansion I take it? By the way they really need to flesh out the thieves guild that was mentioned in D3 and make Wirt their leader. Poor kid deserves it.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    maybe? from that quote seems like Imperius could be the potential big baddie? He was such a cock tease in act 4.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Malthael

Some people on Reddit are speculating it'll be Mathael as the big baddie since he looks a little more reaper'ish and has been missing for some time. He was for some time the representative of Wisdom on the Angiris Council.
    At the end of D3, Tyrael takes over the seat of wisdom in Mathaels continued absence.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    ah cool! sounds like a cool character. also:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Tyrael-Blizzard-Entertainment/dp/1608872793/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372859470&sr=1-1&keywords=Book+of+Tyrael"]Diablo III: Book of Tyrael: Tyrael, Blizzard Entertainment: 9781608872794: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Malthiel or Imperius, either would be cool... and to be honest, i wanted to kick Imperius' ass so bad it's unreal haha.

it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it went something along the lines of "the Nephalem are gaining power? well, we better put a stop to that right now!" from Imperius.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    Death will spread it's wings? Angelic wings? Hmmmm :)

My biggest hope is that I can enable an option to remove the auction house and have the game rebalance drop rates to compensate.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    hmm reaper or souls... It remembers me to Raziel, Soul Reaver, and Death from Darksiders II.

Anyways, i'm gonna buy the expansion yes or yes.

I loved Imperius, i would dislike to see him like Izual, he has the strongest personality and all the charisma nobody in the game has.

I think they will add the Angel of Death, Malthael?, but let's wait for the Gamescon. Which new classes will be added? surprise!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i will likely not buy the expansion to be honest. D3 didn't exactly wow me. i'll wait a while to see what other people say about the expansion before diving in like i did with D3.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    i will likely not buy the expansion to be honest. D3 didn't exactly wow me. i'll wait a while to see what other people say about the expansion before diving in like i did with D3.

Same here. Wish I got to experience D2 from all the goodness that I heard about it.. Which is the reason I plunged into D3.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    diablo 3 for consoles will be what all users expected more than a year ago, and i also expect a nice patch for the actual Diablo 3 for PC, that one promised.

BTW, i earnt money in the RMAH so i will buy the expansion with it. I play on monster power-level 7-10 and right now i would like to see a more challenging game, harder, and with the diablo 2 drop. The MF is useless for legendaries.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I'm getting D3 for 360 for free. I believe it will be more of what I was hoping for from the PC version.

It will be nice to lie on my bed and play it on the TV with a controller rather than have to sit at my PC to play.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    I haven't been following the console versions too closely, it looks like the exact same content with a control and UI overhaul to be console friendly. I know they've made little tweaks like adding a dodge move, but isn't the core content the same as the PC version?
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger wrote: »
    I haven't been following the console versions too closely, it looks like the exact same content with a control and UI overhaul to be console friendly. I know they've made little tweaks like adding a dodge move, but isn't the core content the same as the PC version?

Major change is Console will not have an Auction House.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    And their loot drop rate is increased to compensate for the removal of the RMAH.

More loot drops, less auction house. It's a big step in the right direction. The couch co-op is a huge selling factor for me as well, as it's really fun to play with my wife on the same TV rather than 2 separate computers.