Home General Discussion

Diablo 3

Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    glottis8 wrote: »
    I just think it left a lot to wish for the expansion when you pursue Adria and the black soulstone. It just feels unfinished, it might be worth to comment that i didn't feel SC2 was unfinished, and the story, even with its cliffhanger felt more complete.

I actually though SC2 was quite well written until the last cutscene when they more or less just pissed it away with some serious nonsense. In D3 they just phoned it in.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    They changed the drops from barrels only a little. MF just doesnt affect it anymore, but barrels are considered a lootable object, like a chest. not a destructible object, like a barricade or table. So barrels and vases still can drop amazing items... Just gotta be suuuper lucky. Just like D2
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe I am still enjoying it (for the most part) because I only get to play maybe 2 hours every other day with my buddy. I have only clocked in 50 hours since release and just got to level 47.

Though the lack of fun or interesting loot is aggravating. I don't get why my blue items have better stats than my gold items.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't agree about it feeling like an indie game, I would never play an indie game for more than a few hours, let alone the hundreds I have sunk into this game.

The story was a bit bland, but I think it has a few cool moments. There were definitely moments where I was thinking "who the fuck is this and why am I here?" (the part where you are in the spider cave in act 1, freeing that gypsy woman), but there were also times where I was legitimately entertained (the section right before Diablo when the ghosts of the people that have died are trying to make you feel bad).

Really not trying to sound like an apologist or the blizz defense force, but honestly if you come to D3 expecting an amazing story, you are gonna have a bad time. Diablo is a loot grind, that's what it's always been. You turn game sound down, turn quest text off, put on some good music or a podcast, and start grinding. The fun of the game is making your character powerful and finding/buying those amazing items. Clawing your way through act 2 inferno to then come back a few days later with better items and just destroy it.

I like the loot grind personally, so this game is sort of my thing. Outside of that, my favorite aspects have been playing all the classes, whimsyshire, and the random events. I have a 60 demon hunter (my main), 60 barb, 60 monk, and an almost 60 witch doctor. All the classes play quite differently and there are tons of cool abilities and builds you can use. Whimsyshire is just awesome. Seeing bloody pony and cuddle bear corpses all over the ground makes me laugh every time. The random events are also pretty cool, just because I'm still finding new ones even after like 300 hours of play time.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After reading the last 2-3 pages here, I think I'd rather play GW2 than D3. D3 doesn't sound anything like my best memories of D2 and LOD. Every empire eventually falls, I guess.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    SgtNasty wrote: »
    Really not trying to sound like an apologist or the blizz defense force, but honestly if you come to D3 expecting an amazing story, you are gonna have a bad time. Diablo is a loot grind, that's what it's always been. You turn game sound down, turn quest text off, put on some good music or a podcast, and start grinding. The fun of the game is making your character powerful and finding/buying those amazing items. Clawing your way through act 2 inferno to then come back a few days later with better items and just destroy it.

No way... I thought even Diablo 1 and 2 had a great underground theme and story to it. I remember reading all of the scrolls where Deckard talks about the rise of Diablo and the fights for the heavens. I actually got the Book of Cain to prepare for D3. Even in D2 the story, while a little cheesy was cool. The cinematics of the wanderer being Diablo, raising his brothers is pretty epic. This one... too me just doesn't have that much flavor. I like all the locations, i like some of the narrative as i said. But its just not a good story that follows the lore of Diablo. At least from my perspective. To be honest, if i had not read the book of cain, the story in D3 would've been pretty random. The whole where the nephalem come from and all that jazz is never really explained.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overlord, it's a great game, don't be discouraged by all the hate.

glottis8, I think the mercenaries' story lines and the lore book things you find in D3 were pretty cool. It's unfortunate that they didn't go further into the merc's stories more. Like, when you get the scoundrel, the thief dude (Nigel Cutthroat is his name I think) says "...the thieves guild will find you..." and then it's never mentioned or referenced again... Maybe in a content update or expansion hopefully. But it sucks that things like that were never fleshed out more.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9

glottis8, I think the mercenaries' story lines and the lore book things you find in D3 were pretty cool. It's unfortunate that they didn't go further into the merc's stories more. Like, when you get the scoundrel, the thief dude (Nigel Cutthroat is his name I think) says "...the thieves guild will find you..." and then it's never mentioned or referenced again... Maybe in a content update or expansion hopefully. But it sucks that things like that were never fleshed out more.

Totally agree. In Skyrim you help your followers clear things out. I really would have liked it if they expanded on those. It's a shame that you only learn about them through dialogue and thats about it. No events, or reminisce when you reach a place.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Overlord: I would suggest not buying it. Normal and Nightmare are painfully easy. Hell is fun and well balanced, but it takes you 30-40 hours to get there. Inferno is tard until you pay-to-win on the AH to buy gear.

Just wait for TL2 :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor

thought that was a reference/nod to Elder Scrolls :)

i laugh every time time Templar says "I started breathing out of my mouth."
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Am I wrong to say the most vocal detractors of this game have played through it at least 4 times?
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justin_Meisse It's probably about 2-3 times. Normal can be beat in about 12 hours I think, Nightmare usually is done after about 22-30 hours depending how fast you go. For anyone not wanting to loot grind but still enjoy the experience, I think quitting after nightmare is a completely fine way of playing the game.

Just saw this post on Reddit. For anyone that's farming act 1 or 2 inferno and is having trouble generating gold, this might be a great way to get some upgrades.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/vfui3/an_sfcs_guide_to_selling_your_soul_for_gold_make/

Basically, if you find any ilevel 63 items, just go on the bnet forums and sell them. People are apparently buying unitentified ilevel 63 stuff for a shit ton. 1.8 mil for an unidentified hellion crossbow! Considering it's probably going to suck, making 1.8 mil is a huge profit and can really help you grab a few good pieces of gear.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Am I wrong to say the most vocal detractors of this game have played through it at least 4 times?

I have 100+ hours in the game. Have a level 60 and a level 50, and several from level 10-30. I've played quite a bit and I can say Hell mode was the only time I had fun.

The reason I don't go back to play anymore is because the story is horrendously linear and slaps you in the face with dialogue every 5 minutes that you've heard 100 times, causing you to mash the Escape button as if you were chugging potions in D2.

Also, only A3 has enough monsters. Acts 1, 2, and 4 don't have enough to satisfy what I came to expect from the Diablo series.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Im playing through my second time, in Act2. If I finish the game for the second time I will def stop at 2 play throughs.

I honestly wish you could have skipped normal, it was stupid how easy it was. It was just click and enemies die, dont even have to try.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Justin, do you not understand the concept of objectivity?

And by that i mean that there is objective value in what people have to say, whether or not they've played for 10-1000 hours there will still be some validity to their complaints.

I just dont understand where youre trying to go with that question, surely those that have played it a lot have a better understanding of the game and its potential flaws/strengths?
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think he's saying anyone's opinion is invalid. I'm guessing he's just wondering why the people that played through the game kept playing it again and again, given the passionate hatred that has surfaced in this thread.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18

Probably not. I totally see what people mean once you hit Inferno. If anything I'll probably try other classes.

I really liked the difficulty of Dark Souls which rewarded better gameplay on your part but Diablo becomes more about better number crunching.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Yep, most go "There, I finished diablo on inferno, now I'll put it down in anger!"

Meaning, the game has issues, but it's a bit weird to not recommend it at all.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Ya'll might as well acknowledge the fact this game isn't properly done yet. It needs fixing so it can match ppl's high anticipations, hopes and wishes, not to mention standing for itself. It will take Blizz a few months, I suppose, to sort things out.

The logical and patient thing to do would be to let go. Play some other games. Do some art or something. Come back to it when it's more balanced and mature. What's the rush?

It's easy blaming Blizzard, but it's also pointless. U can, however, control ur own actions, so...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    @Justin_Meisse It's probably about 2-3 times. Normal can be beat in about 12 hours I think, Nightmare usually is done after about 22-30 hours depending how fast you go.

i'd done hell in under 28 hours played (did the entire thing in a group). inferno is the only thing that gave us a challenge but even that took us to the ~60 hours played mark.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Am I the only one who hates that it feels like you should be able to dodge certain monsters attacks but can't. Due to their animation it looks like you would be able to do this but they turn so fast that running around them or backing up is pointless.

I feel like it would have added another level of depth to the game if you could actually dodge attacks on several monsters throughout the game. I had the most fun fighting the big hammer dudes where you actually could do this. (side note: I played through as a monk)
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I don't know if you guys look at the Diablo 3 forums, but atm, its gone to hell. Blizzy should take a look at its fanbase and customer base and notice something is REALLY wrong. But looking at the current streak they have been on, they might just add another patch to help them make even more money.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest wrote: »
    Am I the only one who hates that it feels like you should be able to dodge certain monsters attacks but can't. Due to their animation it looks like you would be able to do this but they turn so fast that running around them or backing up is pointless.

I feel like it would have added another level of depth to the game if you could actually dodge attacks on several monsters throughout the game. I had the most fun fighting the big hammer dudes where you actually could do this. (side note: I played through as a monk)

Hell, would be nice if you could dodge zombies too. The actual "contact" is made before the full animation plays out, so even though you dodge the animation the attack still lands. Sloppy.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Blizzard has said they did it on purpose so you couldn't just run by everything and not get hit. I wish there was more dodge-able attacks, it doesn't make sense that you can get hit by a zombies slow swat attack when you are 15 ft away.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    agreed, ZacD. I am a demon hunter and use Evasive Fire a lot, but at act 4 in Nightmare it seems I get hit no matter what. I don't know..it just seems a little broken and it's obnoxious.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    I don't think he's saying anyone's opinion is invalid. I'm guessing he's just wondering why the people that played through the game kept playing it again and again, given the passionate hatred that has surfaced in this thread.

My guess is that people that "hate" they game also love the series and want the next "Diablo 3" so they stay and play hoping Blizzard will fix it. That's just what I believe, also I wanna make back those 59.99 euros I spent on the game.
    ErichWK wrote: »
    agreed, ZacD. I am a demon hunter and use Evasive Fire a lot, but at act 4 in Nightmare it seems I get hit no matter what. I don't know..it just seems a little broken and it's obnoxious.

This is just my guess, but I guess the roll from Evasive Fire and Vault is just an animation and your character aint actually moved, the game still thinks you are where you started to roll. So basically if you don't finish your roll before they got to the attack-point in their attack animation they will hit you.

You can test this by dubble tumbling away from an enemy that has a slow moving projectile. Those succubus are a great way to test it. Because if you Vault fast enough after your first one, the game still thinks you are where you first started tumbling.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is broken. Doesn't matter if it's intentional or not you can't desynch the animation from the effect when you're expecting skilled play.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not broken. Vault and evasive fire do not make you immune to attacks. For example, if there is a pack of Bile Crawlers, and you vault straight through them, you will probably die because they will all land attacks on you as you pass through. If you smokescreen THEN vault, you will be fine. Any attack with a visible projectile or a big wind up animation is usually avoidable. Some monsters will rotate mid swing (Dark Berserkers in Act 2) but blizz has said this will be fixed so that you can run behind them after the animation has started.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually it does make you immune to attacks, during the animation you cannot die. But yeah, once you stop rolling you die instead. I weren't talking about vaulting trough enemies, i were talking about vaulting away from attacks and still dying.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is broken, period. It's not about vault, it's just about player position being irrelevant. As a wizard I run away from a zombie and still get hit 5 meters away a fair amount of the time. Skill games need accurate animations so that you can apply your skill. If you desynch the animations from the effects, you undermine the concept. There's a reason why attacks are telegraphed in games, and it's to allow dodging. If Blizzard doesn't want players to avoid hits they should increase the animation speed so that everything synchs up instead of fooling the player.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Just for reference sake, it does suck [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW3VZs3gx2A"]Diablo 3 Beta Monster's Melee Attack Hits You Regardless of Range - YouTube[/ame]
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    ^nother reason why I quit, brutal when your trying to dodge in inferno.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I think its intentional. Slower Mobs wouldn't be able to hit you at any level other wise. They'd either have to make all mobs lightening quick or make the player much slower.

Its part of the game and you just have to get used to it just like any other mechanic.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is intentional, which is why it's all the more maddening. They don't want players running through the boring vanilla mobs farming the elite packs and then running through to the boss. Blizzard is fervently anti-powerfarming, which is hilarious since that's all their games are about.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    But they do have to give the player a challenge. Else farming would be as easy as running passed everything, as you say.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It already is, the vanilla packs are just in the way, only elites provide any real challenge
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was referring specifically to the vault and evasive fire mechanics. Those abilities are not meant to make you "unhittable". Anyways, feel free to add it to your list of hate and reasons why inferno is so unfair and why you quit.

Read a blue post today that was pretty good, made me excited for 1.04. Particularly the part about abilities being updated.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5890100504?page=2#33
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No ones saying that you should be unhittable when using Vault or Evasive Fire. People are complaining about still getting hit when you use vault or evasive fire to get AWAY from them before they hit you.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Meh on the 1.04... going to take alot to bring back the players that quit after 1.03 imo.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Ok. Just got my first character (wizard) to lvl60. So I thought I'd do a little review of the game. I'll spoiler tag it for those yet to play it.

Basically. I absolutely love it and its well worth the £35 I paid for it. The artwork is gorgeous. The cutscenes are beautiful. The story is pretty good, although predictable.
    Here's my crit of the game.

The first playthrough is WAY to easy and ruined the game for me quite a bit. It felt like the whole of normal mode is a tutorial. Ok, I died a couple of times but I never really struggled. A game needs to be challenging to give a proper sense of reward when its complete and I just didn't feel excited when I killed diablo for the first time. I'm currently on Hell mode Act4 which is starting to feel rewarding when I kill bosses and elites. I wish it had been this hard at the start or at least i'd been given the option to up the difficulty.

The game is too short. Heaven is over in a flash. The last Act should have been the longest. The game needs a longer final Act or an Act 5.

The mobs. Mostly too easy. Who's idea was it to make Elites harder than bosses as well. Thats just daft.

Skills. I only just discovered that i can have more than one skill from a particular category assigned to hotkeys. Using "advanced skill options" in the options menu. This has allowed me to get creative with my build. I was a Glass Cannon but got sick of dying by one hit from those exploding mobs. Currently i'm a bit of a Tank wizard, which is great fun.

Merchants. I sell something to a merchant in game for 500 gold. He sells me it back for 6000....wtf! I haven't bought a single item from a merchant since the I started in Act1. The average dropped item at any level is far better than anything a trader will sell you. Traders just become a place to sell off items at sub par prices just to keep my stash tidy. And they repair my stuff at extortionate prices... Other than that they are poitnless tbh... Its exactly the same problem Diablo 2 had. You think they might have fixed that at least.

The AH. I quite like it. Although in normal and nightmare I found I had to stop myself from buying "awesome" items so that the game didnt become ridiculously easy.

Anyhoo... I'll leave it at that for now.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    My Witch Doctor died yesterday :(

Got killed by The Butcher (hardcore inferno). Didn't think I'd die seeing how the rest of Act 1 was doable, and bosses were always easier than the elites (even though I still could die in 2 hits).

The good news is that the fight was a massive adrenaline rush, something I've not gotten from any other point in diablo 3. And I like the idea of having a "Hall of Fallen Heroes", that's cool :p If only it also showed the gear on the dead char too.

And then it made me think, if this kind of excitement is the thing I'm looking for, why am I playing a game that can only deliver 1 moment of it every 30~ hours (the time it takes to get to inferno HC solo)

I should really be playing street fighter online, which gives me these kinds of adrenaline rushes almost every minute! But then again that is probably unhealthy in the long run!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yozora wrote: »
    And then it made me think, if this kind of excitement is the thing I'm looking for, why am I playing a game that can only deliver 1 moment of it every 30~ hours (the time it takes to get to inferno HC solo.

I get the same thing playing DayZ. I ask myself frequently, Why do I crawl about in woodland for 3 hrs doing nothing then all of a sudden I get a 2 minute adrenaline rush killing a bandit or fighting off a horde. Only to wait another 3 hrs till the next encounter.

I think having the long periods of doing simple things makes the adrenaline moments even more intense. Also, the risk of losing something you've put a lot of hours into really adds to the rush of wanting to survive.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    The AH. I quite like it. Although in normal and nightmare I found I had to stop myself from buying "awesome" items so that the game didnt become ridiculously easy.

That's one of my favourite parts of levelling a character. Going to the AH every 10 levels, spending 50k on a bunch of awesome gear, and then being in god mode for a couple hours. The real challenge is in inferno anyway, so no point dicking around in normal and nightmare, imo.

I've been wanting to do some hardcore but I've had a lot of rubber banding in the last couple days, so I'm just sort of waiting for the servers to chill out a bit. Really excited to dig into that. I have a monk at level 25 and there have already been some exciting moments.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    I think having the long periods of doing simple things makes the adrenaline moments even more intense. Also, the risk of losing something you've put a lot of hours into really adds to the rush of wanting to survive.

In D3's case, the problem with those first 30 hours you put into it is that they are mind numbingly boring :(
    If it started off difficult, then it'd increase that rush of wanting to survive even more because it took you 30 challenging hours to get to where you are.

I'd love a "super hardcore" mode, where the difficulty of normal act 1 as a level 1 is almost as difficult as inferno act 1 as a level 60 (taking into consideration the lack of a full skill set of course), to make levelling both challenging and rewarding.
    It won't be for everyone, and that's what "hardcore" is for.

Just googled DayZ; I like their logo :p Also crazy fast running zombies... scary stuff!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Look at the pretty art.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOkY4LjBB5I"]Diablo 3, from a new angle. - YouTube[/ame]
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ZacD that video was cool, thanks for sharing. Is there some way to go into free cam?

I mentioned a few pages back that inferno was do-able with much less gear and gold than most people were imagining. This guy made a couple videos proving that. He did it on a monk, but I am very sure this is possible with the other classes as well (maybe not Barb, but I'm sure someone could pull it off). He did act 1 with less than 500k, and act 2 with only 200k.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fu9zw1J0EE&list=UUg4H8mVRi0N6WdOhEngfCPQ&index=2&feature=plcp"]Diablo 3 Monk - The 500k challenge - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEoUKqg6SdA&feature=channel&list=UL"]The 200k Challenge - Act 2 Inferno using only 200k in gear (Monk) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Diablo 3 SPEEDKILL ALL BOSSES: Eyes Closed Edition

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZkZ-bUj0rk"]Diablo 3 SPEEDKILL ALL BOSSES: Eyes Closed Edition (for real) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    No life Kripparian did solo Inferno with 450k Barb. But you have to keep in mind these challenges are occuring post nerf?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4iBp0S-rT8"]The Adventures Of Budget Barb - YouTube[/ame]
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    http://www.d3rmt.com/guides/diablo-3-item-stat-maximum-values/

Apparently you can regen 4k life per second, that might be a good cheap stat to max out.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The AH is broken yet again on EU and here I had a winning bid on a really good item. *sadpanda*

Edit; and it's up again.