Home General Discussion

Guilldwars 2

Replies

• Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    someone needs to start a company that has a couple of semi-trucks loaded with servers and they rent themselves for game launches. help get the game through the first month or so till things stabilize. keeps companies from having to buy a bunch of hardware they wont need in 6 months.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Damn it I should've bought it digitally.

I think its the price you pay for pre-ordering it from EBgames. :(

Good luck to those who got in to the server. See you on 28th.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    @_@ I watched 5-6 hours of my life and precious sleep flash before me last night. I love how a few different choices in personality has changed my entire story and my krewe characters. Paired with the free form questing system, it makes re-doing the same starter zone more than bearable. First thing I did in game was make my own chat where I didn't have to listen to the Map Chat. The games been out for a matter of hours, NO I DON'T WANT TO BE IN YOUR UBER ELITE RAIDERZZZZ GUILD.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Servers need some kind of RAID config so there is only one big server! The future, think about it.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    they pretty much destroyed the euro servers lol... always us euros.

IIRC, Europe has a central server system from GOA, so I'm not sure if ArenaNet has their servers 'from' these guys, but it wouldn't surprise me.

However, if it is, then expect some bumpy roads ahead for a little while more, since GOA is known for being run by a bunch of pillocks, who complain if you throw any type of criticism in their direction as a customer and even threaten to 'close servers' if you get too loud.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    my only issue so far is the freaking overflow crap. If I'm in a party with someone, why are we not in the same overflow? It's borderline impossible to play with someone even in your own group. :(
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    IIRC, Europe has a central server system from GOA, so I'm not sure if ArenaNet has their servers 'from' these guys, but it wouldn't surprise me.

However, if it is, then expect some bumpy roads ahead for a little while more, since GOA is known for being run by a bunch of pillocks, who complain if you throw any type of criticism in their direction as a customer and even threaten to 'close servers' if you get too loud.

yeah i remember when GOA ran the Warhammer Online euro servers... it was one of my worst gaming experiences, ever.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Ring of Fire EU, game is awesome so far, quite a unique approach to quests and story which I've not experienced before in an MMO.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    my official tag is bounchfx.2603, add me!
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Dat fire elemental

Also level 31 as of sunday night. ;_;
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Get a life you nerd! But seriously, that's really crazy. I only made it to level 12.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Daven wrote: »
    Get a life you nerd! But seriously, that's really crazy. I only made it to level 12.
    Man, theres people in their 50s-60s already. Highest level i've seen was 36, but that was in the 25-35 leveling zone.
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't feel bad Daven, I'm only lvl 12 too xD
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    uh man i´d just love to see all those environments in a current gen engine.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Game is so damn good, can't get enough. Keep an eye out for Goemm's Lab :D
  • Tairii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tairii polycounter lvl 9
    Ryswick wrote: »
    Man, theres people in their 50s-60s already. Highest level i've seen was 36, but that was in the 25-35 leveling zone.

There's a level 80
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Tairii wrote: »
    There's a level 80
    yeah i just heard, got it through crafting apparently?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Curious to try the game but im not throwing down $60 to see if I like it. Hopefully theyll have a trial or demo.

Looks like a breath of fresh air from my WoW roots though
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryswick wrote: »
    Dat fire elemental

Also level 31 as of sunday night. ;_;

Man I felt bad about being level 25...or am I 26.. I don't know, last night was a bit of a blur. :poly142:
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    I was also joking. I'm pumped that people are loving this game.

Also, if you're on Maguuma, check out the guild Drama Unit.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Just reached 40 and did the shatter dragon event, broke all my armor in 1 hit. 45 hrs and 14 min of playtime. /age
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just hit level 30 and I anticipated the elite skill cost so I saved up like 18 points ahead of time. I now run around with a posse of 6 fleshy abominations (7 if I kill something) and they do aaaaall the work. I get a lot of funny looks. :)

EDIT: Wow things really take off at 30, Lions Arch is amazing.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Picked up the collectors edition on my lunch break...I was not prepared for the size of this thing. Hopefully I'll get some game time in tonight. Pretty excited.
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    Picked up the collectors edition on my lunch break...I was not prepared for the size of this thing. Hopefully I'll get some game time in tonight. Pretty excited.
    OMG no KIDDING! I walked into the store on my break and my jaw just dropped. They didn't have a bag big enough to put it in, but thankfully they had the original shipping box. I didn't want to leave it in my car and risk Rytlock melting, and I didn't want to carry it exposed through the halls (I work with a bunch of squares).

I've got a friend who's demanding I document my unboxing xD
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Still no auction house D:
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still no trial :( No way am I throwing down $60 to SEE if I like it. Notfair.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    So you thought in just 1 day's time, you complaining about it on Polycount would make them add a trial?
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    With all the gameplay videos, and live streams they are doing, you can clearly get an idea of what the game is like. This games has had so much material that I don't think there is need for a demo.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J wrote: »
    With all the gameplay videos, and live streams they are doing, you can clearly get an idea of what the game is like. This games has had so much material that I don't think there is need for a demo.
    I am excited and waiting for the IGN/Gamespot reviews to come out, otherwise watching other people play content is boring because you dont get to see anything special usually
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I have the book that came with the collectors edition as well as the one I got signed at PAX a few years ago and I am still hopeful for a super huge art dump like they have done with their previous titles.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Can't believe I missed out on the collectors edition, sucks! QQ

vNeWZ.png
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    speaking about the collector's edition; I pre-purchased mine on amazon THREE WEEKS AGO (four actually, at the time of writing), and still haven't received it, when the estimated delivery period said 18 days. now, it says the estimated day of SHIPMENT is september 11th.

moreover, with this "grace period" thing, that amazon clusterfck means that I won't receive my game (physically) until the end of september, if not even later. in short, I won't be able to play guild wars 2 for close to a month.

WHY IS THIS EVEN AN ISSUE? I payed for this game, 160 euros no less, and I can wait for the statue; I just want to play the game! I've been enjoying it thoroughly for some five days now and I don't want it taken away from me for close to 30 days, is that so unreasonable?

has anyone else had this pproblem, with CE or otherwise?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Buy a regular online key and play the game now, then sell the key from the Collector's Edition later?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Nah man, you get in game perks with the collectors edition.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Love the game, but there is some seriously sloppy art work in some areas. I mean, look at those rails in the Norn Capital... 1 plane supposed to be axes and they are stretched to boot. Come on... you can do better than that Anet.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Theres some little sloppy bits here and there but it's mostly standard MMO quirks. The one thing that bugs me most is that I finally found a really nice necro head piece, it's a hood with a strange mutant rams skull covering the face and it even has some wicked shoulder armor as part of the head piece. It's a great piece but...

3 problems:
    - The skull has weights connected to the eyes, so when my character blinks the mask deforms.
    - The shoulder dealies collide with my shoulder armor, not too big of a deal considering I can hide it.
    - Sometimes a large portion of the back of the hood and one of the shoulders is black or occasionally transparent.

It's just annoying that the first decent necro head piece I find in 30 or so levels of game play is crazy bugged in a way that I haven't seen with any armor prior to this.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The one thing im really mad about is the grass/foliage draw distance. Almost all MMO forests feel like empty planes with bare trees. WoW mastered forests and im curious why no other mmo delivers in that aspect :s
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Really loving the game. Performance seems to have improved significantly since the last beta weekend I participated in a month or two ago, game is beautiful.

I was a little disappointed that my physical retail copy had nothing inside but a trifold piece of paper with my key and some installation/control stuff on it. Really, if I'm paying $60 for something I like to at least have a manual, don't really know why I just like them and miss the days when that was pretty standard. And yeah, I know people pick up digital copies for the same price, but there's a reason I didn't go digital. The original GW had some huge manuals and I loved it.

There's definitely several things I liked better in the original GW, such as skill selection and build possibilities, I also liked the old mission system better I think. But there's so much to do and being rewarded even for simply running around aimlessly evens it out pretty well for me. I'm also happy as hell that just because I want to be a certain profession, I'm not linked to a certain body type. The whole character creation/dye/armor system is a welcome change over the old.

Woot.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    O my god, this Guildwars 2, O my god. x.x
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Got it last night and its pretty cool! love the artwork and the creatures.

So as a noob whos found a good way to level up quickly?
    like whats more beneficial doing
    A.main quest events?
    B.random events in the area you are in?
    C.exploring and mining/trading/spirit missions etc?
    Im just running about doing anything at all at the moment but I need to catch up to my workmates at some point soon.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Loving this,

but a camera with artificial smoothing and no way to turn it off is atrocious!
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    Anyone know why the forums are closed?
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Anyone know why the forums are closed?
    so they can fixing up the game is their main priority it seems.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well, my account was hacked at around 1am this morning. and i still haven't heard back from their support team about it...

can't play the game because the hacker has changed my email address assigned to the account, which means i can't even log into the website or anything either. i forsee this being a total ball-ache.

muhr.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, my account was hacked at around 1am this morning. and i still haven't heard back from their support team about it...

can't play the game because the hacker has changed my email address assigned to the account, which means i can't even log into the website or anything either. i forsee this being a total ball-ache.

muhr.

Did you get an email asking for you to verify your account? A lot of people have been duped by this fake email... to be safe you might also want to do a scan to see if there are any keyloggers on your computer.
    Ged wrote: »
    Got it last night and its pretty cool! love the artwork and the creatures.

So as a noob whos found a good way to level up quickly?
    like whats more beneficial doing
    A.main quest events?
    B.random events in the area you are in?
    C.exploring and mining/trading/spirit missions etc?
    Im just running about doing anything at all at the moment but I need to catch up to my workmates at some point soon.

You can level up fast by crafting and gathering at first. By crafting I refer to discovering items rather than making whats already known in your list. You can get 20 levels just out of crafting alone.

Another method is to find where events start that have mob swarms and start using your AOE abilities. The way the mechanics are set up, if you just hit a mob you get full xp and loot. Sadly this is also causing massive amounts of people to leave their characters in one place with a script that tells them to auto attack.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I got an email asking me if I had asked to change my password I hadnt so I just did nothing but now the game wont verify my email address it just says invalid page when I click the verification link arenanet sends me, I can still log in and play though!
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    I got an email asking me if I had asked to change my password I hadnt so I just did nothing but now the game wont verify my email address it just says invalid page when I click the verification link arenanet sends me, I can still log in and play though!

Their verification page is broken.... its probably why a lot of people think the fake ones are legit. A-net is not having a smooth launch...the game works fine but there are other problems they are dealing with... so its no wonder some would seek to exploit that. Heck, the chinese gold spammers already starting spamming the chat channels from day 1.. usually through hacked accounts. Bad stuff really.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Dataday wrote: »
    Did you get an email asking for you to verify your account? A lot of people have been duped by this fake email... to be safe you might also want to do a scan to see if there are any keyloggers on your computer.

the only thing i got like that was on the first day of headstart, and it was part of the game launcher itself telling me i hadn't varified my email yet, so i clicked the link on the game launcher, and got an email a couple of seconds later, and clicked that.

this is entirely separate.

i also ran a virus and spyware scan (two of each, actually) and nothing turned up. i haven't received any other email regarding my account, other than one saying that my email address had been changed, and that if it wasn't me who did it to contact support.

i've got to say... it's totally backward how that works. surely if want to be even remotely secure about this kind of thing, the final confirmation for changing account details should be sent to the OLD email address first?
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    While I was waiting for the game to download I clicked on the security button under the account management site and saw there had already been someone in China logged in for the past 10 hours. I hadn't even played Guild Wars 1 in years so I am guessing somewhere along the line they hacked my account. I disconnected them and changed my password.