Homeโ€บ General Discussion

Guilldwars 2

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Thing is, having people auto-levelled to 80, with the same abilities, and the same gear, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of levelling. Sure, you can level up for the WvW, since you have your own gear there, but apart from that? PvP is all I will be doing. The concept just seems weird to me.

Hopefully you will be able to queue up for PvP zones with a group, because I can just see how teams will have terrible level 1 players (people running around, not having a CLUE what is going on), with very skilled level 80 players. Brackets are there for a reason, so that people with similar skillsets can be matched together.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    PvP is not competitive if it's not all on the same ground. Instead, you get something that's based on the amount of free time you have instead of skill.

I do wish there was world pvp as well that was based around your actual loot, but oh well. Everquest is the past :(
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    Thing is, having people auto-levelled to 80, with the same abilities, and the same gear, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of levelling. Sure, you can level up for the WvW, since you have your own gear there, but apart from that? PvP is all I will be doing. The concept just seems weird to me.

Hopefully you will be able to queue up for PvP zones with a group, because I can just see how teams will have terrible level 1 players (people running around, not having a CLUE what is going on), with very skilled level 80 players. Brackets are there for a reason, so that people with similar skillsets can be matched together.
    There's never really been a point to leveling in PVP because nobody considers it to be competitive unless you're all max level because it's not a fair matchup otherwise. Besides I don't think leveling a character really teaches you anything about PVP or even the game in general in most cases. I haven't played guildwars 2 yet but I've played enough MMOs to know the bulk of the PVE content is generally designed for the lowest common denominator, you can make it to max level by facerolling your damage abilities and knowing the absolute bare minimum of how things work. It's not a test of skill, just a test of time.

Also I'm not a game designer but I'm pretty sure that's not what level brackets are there for... Level brackets keep people with low level characters from getting smashed with no chance by level 80s in top tier gear. Rating systems are meant to match up players of appropriate skill together, most games (including GW1) use some variation of the chess Elo system for this.
    I do wish there was world pvp as well that was based around your actual loot, but oh well. Everquest is the past
    Sorry bro, the days of wrecking people with blind as they try to PVP with a black screen are over. :(
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Comparing PVP to an FPS game is a perfect example. If you have a level 80 guy with epics, that is the dude with a sniper rifle. Level 80 guy with shitty gear, that's a guy with a pistol.

A level 1 guy is the dude that's butt naked with concrete blocks for feet, target practice for the snipers & pistol guys.

In other words, if you want to create fun and truley challenging PVP, gear and level needs to be taken OUT of the equation.

I played WoW for ~6 years and the insane gear imbalance was always the #1 factor that caused me to quit every time, haven't touched it in over 2 years now. Like someone else said, an MMO based on gear is a game that just rewards the person with stupid amounts of free time, it doesn't reward the most skilled players in an even fight.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Your pistol > sniper rifle comparison is wrong as even in games like CS that is a hurdle that can be overcome given a well aimed headshot.

It's more like quakelive machinegun vs lightning gun with no moving allowed in that its almost purely a measure of damage. Hell, there were things in WoW that could be overcome with skill even in vanilla, kiting played a huge part if you were a hunter/mage and stunlocks > restealths as a rogue allowed you to kill people while being naked.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    dii wrote: ยป

Sorry bro, the days of wrecking people with blind as they try to PVP with a black screen are over. :(

I remember the first time this happened to me. I thought my computer froze and I rebooted my pc rofl.
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I'm pretty sure the ArenaNet folks themselves have compared their coordinated PvP (meaning, not WvW) to an fps, specifically with matchfinding features.

Additionally, if you played GW1 remember how easy it was to get max-stat armor? GW isn't an armor grinding game, after a certain point all upgrades are cosmetic, which suits me just fine. I'm probably an odd duck to be playing RPGs though. Give me a weapon and point me at something to kill, I don't want to be fussed with stats and levels.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Additionally, if you played GW1 remember how easy it was to get max-stat armor? GW isn't an armor grinding game, after a certain point all upgrades are cosmetic, which suits me just fine. I'm probably an odd duck to be playing RPGs though. Give me a weapon and point me at something to kill, I don't want to be fussed with stats and levels.

To an extent I'm right there with you. Farming for armor and weapons sucks. I did enjoy having to "hunt" my elite skills in the original GW, but that wasn't exactly a "kill 100 of this and hope for the best" sort of thing. The "fps-esque" sort of feel in the original GW PvP was pretty sweet.

Though I am disappointed at the level scaling for areas in PvE...assuming I'm understanding it correctly. I loved going back to parts of Ascalon with my lvl 20 characters farming the crap out of granite slabs with incredible ease. (Seriously I had almost an entire storage panel full of stacks of granite slabs, it was sort of a running joke because at the time they were worthless. Then EotN came out and I had the last laugh, haha!)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Are any of you meeting up on the same server on release or are you guys doing your own thing? :D
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    I'd love to get a guild going if you guys are down for it. The only trouble is the servers constrain between NA and EU.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I only wanna play if it's with you guys!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    PC NA and EU guild would be a great idea :D Anyone know if there are anymore beta weekends coming up?
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I'd love to get a guild going if you guys are down for it. The only trouble is the servers constrain between NA and EU.
    There is no constrains. You can't login from EU if you bought US version (as for now) but you can play on any server you want (EU, US, or whatever there will be in future).

I think time diffrence would be bigger problem.

And yeap. There will be more BWE. As for know they will be when they will be ready :)
  • Swizzle
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator

Aww-Yeah-meme.png

EDIT: So has anyone thought about a PC guild so we can all gather in the same place? Maybe we can set something up like Yozora's spreadsheet for D3 :D
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I'm going to wait until they release it before i get it now. I'll try a demo/trial first before i shell out ยฃ55. Just to make sure i like the mechanics since I've never really played Wow or any MMO in years.

But Yus to claiming a server for PC
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to wait until they release it before i get it now. I'll try a demo/trial first before i shell out ยฃ55. Just to make sure i like the mechanics since I've never really played Wow or any MMO in years.
    That's good. You won't be tainted :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    That's good. You won't be tainted :)

lol, my guilds name is Tainted.

we're epic pirate roleplaying hardcore pvp'ers. you'll have to let me know which server polycount is on, i want to stomp you'z all! WAAAAGH!!!!!

...oops, wrong lore :P
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, my guilds name is Tainted.

we're epic pirate roleplaying hardcore pvp'ers. you'll have to let me know which server polycount is on, i want to stomp you'z all! WAAAAGH!!!!!

...oops, wrong lore :P

Hmp. Played along you in Rift :D.
    And don't worry. You still can stomp enemy servers :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i only played rift for the headstart, hit max level and went back to WAR for some rvr/pvp.

but yeah, GW2's WvWvW is where Tainted will be pretty much all day every day when it's up haha.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    SO EXCITED FOR THE SECOND BETA WEEKEND

What class has the best movement increase buffs though? the default running speed is a tad slow for my tastes
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Should help sort shit out a little Torch ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guild Wars 2 Polycounters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kept the style of diablo's one for consistency.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey man thanks a lot for setting that up, looks great :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Bumping the thread for recruiting more people to our cause :D Feel free to sign up to Lazerus's spreadsheet if you'll be on this coming beta weekend or want to join us when the game's released!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    For those that don't know - Just under 5 hrs until the beta weekend goes live, see you in game!
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    THere's practically no one on this list :0
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    I guess not many people got a hold of beta invites then? lol
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Call me antisocial, but I generally avoid lists like this one simply because I'd rather just fuck around in video games. I hardly play games online and it's annoying to have to turn down invites to games when I'm only interested in just goofing around and appreciating the scenery.
  • Asherr
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Call me antisocial, but I generally avoid lists like this one simply because I'd rather just fuck around in video games. I hardly play games online and it's annoying to have to turn down invites to games when I'm only interested in just goofing around and appreciating the scenery.

You will quickly make new friends in GW2, trust me :D.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Thanks for that Asherr, looks interesting!

Messed around with the Necromancer class on the weekend, didn't think I'd enjoy it but had more fun than any of the other classes. Best part was trying to head south from the human area and navigating through these caves - you had to jump from stone to stone all the while trying to avoid falling into a load of enemies below :D Howd you guys get on?
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    My buddy told me about this game....I guess I had known about it, but GW never did anything for me, so I had it on the ignore list.

Now I have gone and watched the GW2 Gameplay first look vid from MMoHut, and all I can say is wow.

Some of my comments from an email exchange...

Officially there is no declared release date, but some game carriers have ads that say otherwise. I will wait and see what the lag/loading times come out to be. I really had not intended to spend another $60 on a game.

I did see some buzz of people happy they wont have to pay $15 a month for WoW anymore. I think that would be the WoW killer...that is, when a game offer's more than enough to offset that additional extortion...I mean expense.

**And if PC gets something together, I'd be more than happy to join in the fun.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Fuck I've got a beta key and haven't remembered to play it once. I think its done now right?
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caved in and bought the pre-purchase...long download now, but at least I'll be ready to play.:)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Irreal - Finished already but should be another one coming up very soon.

Katana - Nice one, come join us in the next BWE :)

Does anyone know if there'll be a lot of endgame content? I've always been more into PvE and teamwork style play rather than PvP (yes call me a carebear, blah blah :P)
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Torch

I've never had a desire to pre-order a game, much less a digital download...(had to do it for DayZ last month), but damn that wasn't a hard decision to make.

I let the computer run last night to install it. By 4am it was finished and patched today.

I'm in the U.S. and I havent figured on what server I'm going to. Also when it goes live, my buddy told me that he also has friends that want to play and get a guild going, so it really looks like a great time.

On another note, i've been watching a lot of the videos out there, that underground dungeon / jumping puzzle looks really intriquing, like Swizzle though, I enjoy the exploration part of a world like this.

Can't wait. And I hope I get a chance to play a beta.....access is automatic?

That is, I dont have to wait for an additional key with pre-purchase off the site right?
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Case you missed it!

"All players who have pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 are invited to participate in our upcoming stress test. This four-hour test event will run on Wednesday, June 27th, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. PDT (GMT-7)."
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Just testing my math - If you're playing in the UK, this would be 3 a.m. right? :(
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    World clock conversion...

Los Angeles (U.S.A. - California) Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 10:00:00 AM PDT UTC-7 hours
    London (United Kingdom - England) Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 6:00:00 PM BST UTC+1 hour
    Corresponding UTC (GMT) Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 17:00:00

So I'm not exactly sure where you live, but there's London's time to go by.

* Thank gawd it's only four hours though, I'm 70 hours into the art test and can't take to much time away from it.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a great game. Anyone playing WoW should seriously give it a look.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    yeeeeppp. announced release date the day before my last day here. Feel good though!
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    finally! sweet :D
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Just took a job at a startup. Wanna do a new thing, you know? 4.5 years is enough for a game!
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Just wanna say, Stoofoo... I was directed to check out your site and those are some awesome creatures and tutorials on there. Very inspiring stuff!! Thanks for putting those together!

Gonna be starting the arenanet art test today as soon as I get home from work. Better late than never, eh? Good luck at the new place!
  • Daven
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey all, last beta this weekend right? Spent ages trying to get the patcher to work as the download kept failing. After some searching, I found that AVG firewall was blocking it so turned resident shield off and its downloading like crazy now... just in case anyone has the same problem.

Gonna be playing with a few friends on Petrified forest server, come say hi if you're looking for a group to run with :D
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I'm going over to the ArenaNET studio on Sunday and playing in-house. Free lunch and dinner!
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: ยป
    Hey all, last beta this weekend right? Spent ages trying to get the patcher to work as the download kept failing. After some searching, I found that AVG firewall was blocking it so turned resident shield off and its downloading like crazy now... just in case anyone has the same problem.

Gonna be playing with a few friends on Petrified forest server, come say hi if you're looking for a group to run with :D

Yep Last weekend....looking forward to it.

The current toons are all wiped right?

But the prepayers get on 3 days early..is that right?