Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sketch A Day.

Replies

• kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kinekun polycounter lvl 5
    Everyone's really getting into it! Keep up the good work everyone!

Day 17

edit info: some freehand testing and playing around

daily_sketch_17_by_kinekun-d504v9w.jpg
  • erenik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Value experiment, began with black canvas and did brightest highlights, working my way down, then trying to add texture and then re-worked the light again...
    2012_05_17_dark_room_by_erenik-d506nux.png
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys nice work.

I worked on this action pack yesterday and its made to mirror your work in Photoshop so it becomes symmetrical. I have not seen any action before that works like mine and i have thought before that it would be nice to have something in Photoshop like symmetry stuff in 3d. Its made so it delete the other part of the canvas of the layer, duplicate the layer and flips it over the center and merge it back to one layer. This is the third version. The first one only worked on the document i made it on the second one you had to have two layers named in a specific way but this one works around the one single layer you paint on. It got hot keys.
    F2 mirror the left side.
    F3 mirrors the right side.
    F4 mirrors the top.
    F5 mirrors the bottom.
    The action takes about one second to run through, i tried to have the least amount of action steps so it would take as short time as possible to run it.
    And i wondered if you guys would like to try it out and.
    1. Say what you think.
    2. Give feedback.
    3. Post an example of what you have done (and if its okay for me to show it on my website plz add that).

I'm thinking about adding a download page on my website with it so there i would like some nice stuff made with it of course credit will be given if not other is mentioned.

So after about an hour in devolpment under one day its finally here the thing you have been waiting for, The S_ource's Mirror Actions.
    Download
    day_08_mirror_prewiev.jpg
  • Cast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :)

Erenik: I love that castle scene! Reminds me of Harry Potter, and the snow angel is a nice touch.

Kinekun: Poses are lookin good! Especially the second from the top right.

I spent more time on this one than I probably should have.
    5-17.png
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    I am new here on Polycount, but i thought this seems to be the thread for me. So i jump in on this =D

Here is my day ONE entry, CS5 90 Minutes

Edit: Erm, how do i do so my picture is not an attachment? Thanks in advance
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am new here on Polycount, but i thought this seems to be the thread for me. So i jump in on this =D

Here is my day ONE entry, CS5 90 Minutes

Edit: Erm, how do i do so my picture is not an attachment? Thanks in advance
    Its an yellow icon with like a mountain and sun above the post field press that and insert the image link and it will show the image, you cane uppload to something sites like imgaeshack or photobucket.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    lol you guys suck i made this sweet Spartan Helmet, I'm so proud, I sent it to pixar, I hope I get a job! mH7j2.jpg
    Good work guys keep it up.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks S_ource, that was very appreciated =)
    AlexCatMasterSupreme lol you guys suck i made this sweet Spartan Helmet, I'm so proud, I sent it to pixar, I hope I get a job!

That with the picture cracked me right up! x)
    And that landscape scenery erenik, really inspirational!
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Cast: Friggin sweet perspective!

S_ource: Nice!

AlexCatMasterSupreme: Cmon man, everyone can daw, its just about practicing :)

Give it a week and you will start to see improvments ^^

Nuclear Angel: Nice work there, keep it up!

Here are some quick Thumbs I did for a friend:

quickthumbs.png
  • kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some sketches simplifying the human body. Need to work on this until it comes naturally. It will pay out in the end =)

I spent about 3-5minutes on each sketch.

Daily 18

daily_sketch_18_by_kinekun-d5097q2.jpg
  • erenik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad I'm inspiring back XD
    AlexCatMasterSupreme: That really gave me a laugh XD
    Nice ones, Cast and Nuclear Angel.
    Dead tired today, will continue tomorrow maybe. Reference used. 2012_05_18_hwoarang_by_erenik-d509m6e.png
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 09

Hey guys i'm back with another Action this time a little more complicated one that makes a rim out of 36 degrees piece from the middle in the top left i call it the rim 1*2*5 action. Its not perfect but it works really well tho i must warn you to save copy's of layers or save the document often because its many action steps and i don't think you will be able to undo the whole action, you can use it for more then rims made a airplane propeller, you probably could do flowers and such to.

Here you can download my action pack. Download
    day_09_rim_action_prewiev.jpg
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Looks interesting S_ource, quite usefull when making sprites and textures.

Day 120

day120.png
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love that castle erenik especially the sky.
    And cool monster concept Erik looks real pro.

..If anyone have a idea of a action that they want for Photoshop and want me to give it a try please tell me i like the challenge of getting things to work, :D
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Thanks man, well heres an exampel on a really handy thing to have: An action that will save out all your frames in a photoshop animation for you (in the right format), or all the layers in a photoshop file, etc etc. Or maybe actions that set up a scene just the way you want it so you dont have to do it all over again every time.

Why dont you try getting into MEl, Expressions and nodes in maya? Its similar to photoshops actions system (kinda, but a bit more advanced) and you can create some really cool stuff with it!

You can build cool shaders with nodes or create awesome looking rigs and stuff with mel and expressions.

Here are some cool stuff my teacher built using only maya

http://www.kostas.se/?p=198

http://www.kostas.se/

Lastly, remember that this is a sketch thread (just telling you what I wrote in a post above) this thread is meant for sketches and improving your sketching/drawing/painting skillz. You are more than welcome to post your actions/scripts in your sketchbook and then just link them here in a post (with some sketching at the side ;)

It´s certainly interesting stuff and I know that we all would love to check it out more, but lets try to keep this thread for what it was intended for shall we? There are a lot of other threads out there that would be more fitting for cool actions and scripts :)

(Btw it would be a great place to grow, get new idéas and get some awesome feedback!)

Also, get some concepts up here! Do some crazt stuff! The more you draw the better you become, and the better you become the more fun it will get ;D

I want a fishmonster thats swiming in a zero G environment! Do it! A challenge to all!
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So today i started a bigger painting, (as well started modeling an electric guitar for a short movie,but here is the painting:
    wipcoo.png

And Erik, a really really nice monster! So green xD

EDIT:
    I put this up before sleep, did some changes and started working on the skyline.
    wipcoo02.png

And tomorrow i will get on the dragon!!! =D Good night world!
  • Scardona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scardona polycounter lvl 9
    I'm also a student, so I'd thought I'd join you guys.

day6.jpg

Day 1
  • kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Welcome and keep sketching =D!

Daily 19

daily_19_by_kinekun-d50di0d.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While my last post was a joke, this one is more serious, I have never been good at drawing and never painted or really any traditional art. This is my second attempt at a speed paint, or painting of any kind, I'd like some harsh feedback and ideas, I mean I realy don't even know any concepts of painting, since it's not my creative focus, just something I enjoy, so please, tear me a new ass hole. I know it sucks but here it is:
    t2eDI.jpg
    Thanks.
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Thanks man and great work everybody!

Nuclear Angel: Looks way better with the background! Maybe you want a more neutral pose on the dragon? Like he is slowly rising? And maybe you want to make him more of a focal point, right now he is kinda disappearing out from the screen.

Welcome Scardona! Liking that monster/alien/robot a lot! Maybe you should put it on a bridge instead? (almost looks like it, with just a few tweeks) Like he is crawlig up from underneath the bridge? Could be cool.

AlexCatMasterSupreme:
    Never say that man! We all start out somewhere. I have never attended an art school in my life, I have simply been drawing like crazy and I have a LOT to learn still. Just accept your ar for what it is, watch some tutorials and go crazy and your skillz will grow.
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Hmm Overall you just need more practice on lights, shadows, perspective, composition, hues, etc. But hey, thats how it is when you are starting out. I would say its pretty decent for an early try, next pic will be a little better, and then a little better and a little better and so on.

Check this out! Some basic stuff here! I would recommend watching the video (listening might be enough) while drawing. Sinks in that much better when you get to try everything out the moment you hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujiwVregcTg&feature=plcp

About my green monster - gonna finish it on monday, gonna draw some other stuff this weekend.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man and great work everybody!

Nuclear Angel: Looks way better with the background! Maybe you want a more neutral pose on the dragon? Like he is slowly rising? And maybe you want to make him more of a focal point, right now he is kinda disappearing out from the screen.

Welcome Scardona! Liking that monster/alien/robot a lot! Maybe you should put it on a bridge instead? (almost looks like it, with just a few tweeks) Like he is crawlig up from underneath the bridge? Could be cool.

AlexCatMasterSupreme:
    Never say that man! We all start out somewhere. I have never attended an art school in my life, I have simply been drawing like crazy and I have a LOT to learn still. Just accept your ar for what it is, watch some tutorials and go crazy and your skillz will grow.

Thanks man, but do you have any specific feed back, like this could use some work, or try this? I attempted to use light to define objects and whatnot.
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    I could explain it all to you but really there is no quick way to do it. You generally have to discover it for yourself for it to really sink in, but I would probably start with building some perspective guidelines, like this -

http://media.crazyleafdesign.com/2010/10/one_point_perspective_021.jpg

(A simple one-point perspective)

And do a lot of reference work, just draw stuff you see in real life, really its the best way to build an understanding on how perspective, light and shadows work. Painting reference pics is like super important. And it can be a cool scene from a movie or something if you want, or a cool concept pic you have found on the internet. Look at what other people do and try to do it yourself. Look at reference pictuers while you draw, and LOOK AT TUTORIALS! Super important shiet :D

Here you have two great youtube pages, I recommend that you watch atleast all of Sinix stuff (frankly I find his vids more fun to watch) Cuz they can explain it all ten times better than I can ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/sinixdesign/videos?sort=dd&view=0&page=1

I recommend EPISODE 44 Tannhauser Gate at FZDSCHOOL

and Design Lab [flying vehicle] - 1 and 2 from Sinix to start with.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could explain it all to you but really there is no quick way to do it. You generally have to discover it for yourself for it to really sink in, but I would probably start with building some perspective guidelines, like this -

http://media.crazyleafdesign.com/2010/10/one_point_perspective_021.jpg

(A simple one-point perspective)

And do a lot of reference work, just draw stuff you see in real life, really its the best way to build an understanding on how perspective, light and shadows work. Painting reference pics is like super important. And it can be a cool scene from a movie or something if you want, or a cool concept pic you have found on the internet. Look at what other people do and try to do it yourself. Look at reference pictuers while you draw, and LOOK AT TUTORIALS! Super important shiet :D

Here you have two great youtube pages, I recommend that you watch atleast all of Sinix stuff (frankly I find his vids more fun to watch) Cuz they can explain it all ten times better than I can ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/sinixdesign/videos?sort=dd&view=0&page=1

I recommend EPISODE 44 Tannhauser Gate at FZDSCHOOL

and Design Lab [flying vehicle] - 1 and 2 from Sinix to start with.
    Thanks a lot, I will definantly work on those aspects, it's not really my focus, but I will for sure try to make it better, considering I have very little experience besides drawing weird stuff in class in seventh grade, and just looking at other people paint on youtube a few minutes I think it's okay, but I want to make it better, and maybe someday make something half decent, I will watch those videos, make something maybe this week and post it.

Thanks again.
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    np m8, the important thing is that you pull up some reference pics when you are drawing. Say you are drawing a dragon: google some lizards and bats and stuff, if you are drawing a sci-fi rainforest, google a rainforest - and keep the images up while you draw. :)
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 10

Did not have so much time for this right now but did want to sketch upp a quick base today at least. So take this as i excepted your challenge Erik :D. (And i understand that its a sketch thread sry did get of the subject a bit);P

day_10_fish_prewiev.jpg
  • kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did the fish-thingie, though in the end I put him in an aquarium instead. Really need to work on producing things properly, I often end up focusing on details and the tire of the piece altogether. Much like this one, I'm afraid.

Daily 20

daily_sketch_20_by_kinekun-d50gb48.jpg
  • vvheris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vvheris polycounter lvl 6
    Nicely going guys :)

Due to some problems, i had to skip a few days...

Day 11

day11_by_vvherislt-d50gewg.png
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Looks cool guys!

Here is my fishey!

Day 121

fishrq.png
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here i am today again, didn't have huch time at all today, were at a museum, learned stuff, met a sweet Norwegian girl. Lol, but here is some progress on the current dragon graveyard thingy!
    wipcoo03.png
    Gonna need like 4 more hours on it, to fix everything up, like halfway at the moment. But yea, is there still time to do a fish? I want in :poly121:
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Nice work on the dragon! Liking that shading on his face a lot! his right arm could probably be a bit longer though. And you are more than welcome to do a fish! Could always use another magic-shrimp-fish from the planet Zorg!

Ha! Think im gonna start with "Challenge of the week"

Each week I will put up a challenge spec on something to draw (like say: Giant fire demon) those who wish to join in are free to do so :)

Oh right! A simple concept or thumbnail will be more than enought, no preassure on doing something shiney and polished.

Ok so this week its: Mutated monster fish that might be flying.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fish in sci fi corridor inside a space ship/station that have crashed in a lake on a unknown planet. Not that it was so good but i excidently scaled the whole image so it was not so fun to start from it. So i started from scratch with the scan as base don't know if i will continue on this one maybe will render out the siluette of the fish
    day_11_fish_prewiev.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    S_ource: Hey! Nice to see you working with perspective there! Could turn into something really cool if you keep going ;)

frell: Creepy, nice way to practice light and faces.

Day 122:

day122.png

concept2p.png
  • erenik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know where the fishness came from, but here's my quick fishie.
    fishie_by_erenik-d50mbul.png
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erenik that fish and the light on it did really turn out great!
    Frell, i see can only think of dead silence when i see that :poly122:

Here is my daily, approximately 20 minutes, really didn't get any time today to work on. It is my mothers birthday

speedart014.png

A quick light practise
  • kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, everyone's getting really hooked on the fishies! Nice skeletal dragon as well =D

Read that contrast is important to making interesting character poses. Did some more photorefs and concentrated on avoiding symmetry, varying the shapes and mixing hard corners and soft lines. Exaggerated a lot as well to get something different in my rut. Tell me what you think of the results!

daily_sketch_21_by_kinekun-d50mt8g.jpg
  • Scardona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scardona polycounter lvl 9
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Nice light on that fish! Great work ya guys!

Challenge of the week is: Personal transport, I challenge you all! :D

It can be sci-fi, modern, fantasy or whatever as long as it is a one or two man transport.

Same rules as before: no fancy polished painting is needed.
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    day 5

back from trip, looking good guys

Like the idea with the challenges erik! Gave the vehicle one a try

tumblr_m4drlaoTwi1qhql5fo1_1280.jpg
  • vvheris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vvheris polycounter lvl 6
    Day 12

Will try transport thingie tomorow

t9h3lz.jpg
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    aiconx: Nice! Looks like a really crazy cool invention!

wheris: Hey I like the cell-shaded look!

So I decided that im gonna do hover cars for the challenge, since I never draw cars...like ever. I could do a small mech or like a small monster that you ride on but I draw those things everyday :D

Which thumbnails do you think I should do? I wanna do three of them and nr 1 is a must, so two more plz ^^

Day 123 -
    day123.png
  • erenik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel: Interesting scene!
    Kinekun: Might be good, but abstract proportions isn't really my cup of tea ;)
    Scardona: Good start! Gonna try shading it too?
    Erik: 2 and (6 or 7) :P
    My speed today, took maybe an hour. Felt great working on some abstract pose that then turned out cool o.O; Working on a minimal sized canvas for exercise ^^;
    the_golden_warrior_by_erenik-d50qbgu.png
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 12

Probably the picture i have worked on longest time for this sketch a day, have been practicing shading in grey scale. Its funny because its so many pieces that look the same around this thing and you can see that you progress on your painting because when you have went through them all once and look at the first ones you see things to fix and the last you painted looks best and then it goes on and on like that.:) I'm really pleased how this turned out.

Erik i think 9 and 4 looks most original, i'm curious how they would look rendered out. :)
    showcasewaterscoterprewiev.jpg
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff guys :)
    Erik: i feel like 4 have the most interesting silhouette and like nr 2 aswell.

Been away for the last couple of days but now im back and will hopefully get back into posting stuff.

day 50something
    jZfUw.jpg
    2NYxJ.jpg

hmm..vehicles u say..
    hS06I.jpg
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Twoflower wrote: »
    Cool stuff guys :)
    hmm..vehicles u say..
    hS06I.jpg

Hehe Indeed :D

Damn man those environments are comming along nicley! You are getting really good at this! Just take some time and look back on some of your earlier pics
    Twoflower wrote: »
    okay to tag along you guys?

day 1
    avXPT.jpg

Fancy shiet!

S_ource: Damn man! That is a really nice design and rendering! You should be proud of yourself!

And erenik - you are getting some really nice colors and lighting worked into your pics!

Keep up the good work guys!

As for my cars, Im probably gonna end up doing 1, 2, 4 AND 7. Cant decide, Uhhhh! ;D
  • kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goblin transport =)

Day 22

goblin_transport_by_kinekun-d50r53x.jpg
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Damn, that Goblin really is flying! Maybe his shoulder is a little to far down his body though?

Day 124

Done

alienbeast.png
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i am late on this one, i did not have time to post my fish yesterday :( Mothers birthday. Buuuut, i am gonna post it now, and post some kind of vehicle tonight! Mhmm.

But here is my space fish! speedart15.png
    It is some kind off scrap eating giant, so it got no teeth and is totally harmless. Unless you fly right in to it. Did it in around 40 minutes, messy, but w/e =) enjoyed doing that fish!

Twoflower Those environments! Love it!
    And Erik Mister green many tooth ended up nice! Very nice
    Kinekun, i love Goblins, and rockets! But as Erik said, the shoulder seems a bit off, but otherwise cool!
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    day 6

I like 1 and 9 of your thumbs erik

Today I did a duelist
    tumblr_m4f53bffN31qhql5fo1_1280.jpg