What Are You Working On? 2011 Edition!

Replies

• jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    tacit math wrote: »
    i'm diggin' that dude ! nice work

thanks man :) I'll have some wires and sculpt images soon, kinda want to spend more time on it but really want to move onto something else.

Hboybowen;

I think the eyes look funny cause the lower lid is hidden?
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    textures and everything are still very WIP but what I am really wondering about is the polycount for this thing. Would this be considered too high for a small scene? I could lower it more but im afrade it might not look round enough.lantern.png
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Can ya show some wires? I'm pretty sure it can be done with a lot less triangles, even being round like this, but it's hard to say anything without a wireframe shot.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wiresm.png
    Not sure how to render decent looking wires so maya viewport will have to do.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    n88tr wrote: »
    If he's a comic hero then proportions don't really matter imo, he's not meant to be real so why should he look like a super freaky bodybuilder? I suppose that's your prerogative though.

I hope I didn't give you the impression I was ignoring the paintover g2000 did. I actually agreed with it, and made several changes to get closer to it. Not gonna make an exact copy, but a lot of the larger forms are in there now. I'll have updates tomorrow.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    @ Hboybowen: Thanks for the crits. I have done my best to fix up the joints a bit as well as block out the rest of the parts so I can start detailing. Also, for that face you showed I'd say the eyelids need a bit of a crease near the bottom.

anyway, here's some work. Good work everyone!

WIP05.png
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    biofrost wrote: »
    wiresm.png

I would say you could lose 1/3 of those vertical segments and it would still look good. Nice asset.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jarredde, nice render, what sort of hair is that? It's thick, but looks really good on him.
    @kosh_fotsirk, great character, digging the big hands. I feel he needs a bigger nose though.

Now that I've more than 256 megs of ram, modeling is a much more comfortable, been working on a Dik Dik. I struggled with getting a good read from the various pics I picked up. Tossed around various topology/shapes and I think I'll stick with this one.

tkDikDik_wip01a.jpg
    tkDikDik_wip01w.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Started working on a dungeon crawler this weekend. Feeling super inspired by all that early, high contrast, legend of zelda concept art. Also discovering complimentary colors. This stuff: http://studiojfish.livejournal.com/79805.html

An early tile set:
    ExampleLayout.png

Equally early character design:
    Dungeonaut.png
  • gwad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin wrote: »
    ace work in here everyone, super inspirational

since my computer has been in the shitter, i haven't had much time to work on anything. surprisingly enough, when i least expect it, it will start up normally for a short time. 35 minutes in zbrush and then it was screwed yet again, so i made a crappy paintover in photoshop to illustrate where i plan to take it

smiley.jpg

very cool man !
    he remind me a litlle the Tooth Fairy in hellboy
    rtuk_feature_hellboy_fullsize_03.jpg
  • Veko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Salki wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]kush_large_002.jpg

loving it !
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    af3d wrote: »
    Something I've been working on, legs coming soon. Still have to sculpt fine details on the body.
    ww6Vv.jpg

You have some nice sculpting there. But the anatomy is pretty weird. I know it's not a human, but he has human features so the anatomy would be similar (to function correctly).
    Muscle fibers are straight and pull in only one direction. There is several areas that need attention, but the biggest issue is the shoulders.

I made a small paintover, but I suggest you get some good reference :P

The pectorals connects with the humerus below the deltoids. You seem to have merged the two muscle groups in to one.

af3d_paintover1.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ I'm up to stuff also;
    WIP_Adam-1.jpg

Dayumn! those abs...
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    go get 'em poop !

some dome sketching tonight. trying to improve head invention from ' imagination '. little over an hour ( so. outside the bounds of the speed sculpting thread i reckon )

friDome.png
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Fix dem ears, tacit! :)
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Maph wrote: »
    He could have been a college wrestler and now suffers from cauliflower ears :P
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    sdatce3.jpg

Got these suckers into CE3, really need to get the rest of my portfolio compiled together...
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    Maph wrote: »

oh totally dude. agreed. they got no love in that session. these neither. balls as

:

gabbasAs.png
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    wiresm.png

As Andreas pointed out, you don't need ann the tiny ridges modeled in the low poly, leave that to the normal map. You'll lose practically nothing from the sillouette and save hundreds of polys. Just make the shape of the low poly as if there were no ridges, try to get just the overall round shape, then rebake. :thumbup:
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Finished my hand painted character... Shameless cross post from my Thread
    Pic1.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I am currently working on a vehicle from Brink for Eat3d's competition!

front-1.jpg

update-5.jpg
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    loving the work in this thread right now. jarrede, reminds me of Nathan Explosion :)
    jarrede wrote: »
    beastprog03.jpg
    nathan.jpg

Hboybowen, the eyelids need to match the shape of the eyeballs more closely, that is, ball shaped. especially at the inner corner.

biofrost, as others said, you could bake most of that detail in normal maps. nice looking asset

kosh, it's looking sweet!

tacit, both those sculpts are looking great, really believable. I would tone done the orange-peel detail on both though, or at least vary its intensity a bit.

SaferDan, can't wait to see your progress on this, it's an awesome concept!

In other news, I just ordered 16Gb of RAM... what was I thinking?! :poly122: I will have to do some super high poly modelling in multiple instances of 3ds max with huge textures in Photoshop running alongside to justify this ridiculous purchase...
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Update!! Messed with the proportions, thanks to g2000's paintover which kicked ass. Didn't go quite as extreme on some of the areas, I also moved the sharper style down, as pointed out by hboybowen. But if anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them before I move on to the low poly.

brassdemur04.jpg

brassdemur05.jpg

Thanks so much for the crits, guys. I'm thinking I might start a thread for this series, and would love to get some focused crits when I do.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he looks better I think, more human
    you could give him some muscular striations, make him look stronger
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    gwad: thanks man! yeah while i was doing the paintover my roommate walked over and said the same thing. i loved those tooth fairy designs

Jeremy-S: loving the tweaks, looks much more "comic" in my opinion, although i didn't see much wrong with the previous pimp. keep it up man
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Jeremy: incredible style, I love it! a couple of anatomical points: check the origin and insertion points of your sternocleidomastoids. it should insert behind the ear at the base of the skull and originate more directly at the end of the clavicle. It looks quite detached right now.
    250px-Sternocleidomastoideus.png
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    Benji; Hell yes!

throttlekitty; It's modo hair/fur, wanted something to test it out on, somewhat pleased with the results, I can make it more dense and thinner but like you mentioned, I think he looks better with thicker shit!

thanks dudes!
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! Got it down to 588 Tri's.
    8FtSpider I am loving that crane hand, do you have idea what color scheme you want for it?wires.png
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks everyone! Got it down to 588 Tri's.
    8FtSpider I am loving that crane hand, do you have idea what color scheme you want for it?wires.png

I think you have gone to far with the poly reduction. You are still be able to have VVVVV effect along the silhouette of the lamp. but you have a lot of polys inside the top of the lamp that are not needed and the pole at the top of the lamp only needs to be 4 or maybe 3 sided. When reducing polys on an object think about the silhouette.
  • predpaul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on this at the moment, just a bit of sub d practice really. All geometry :) I'm new to this so feedback is welcomed.

261839_10150310557025081_567675080_9508318_6276086_n.jpg270529_10150310601680081_567675080_9508968_5009534_n.jpg268133_10150310601580081_567675080_9508966_1954424_n.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it alright to have these verts going no where, I circled the area in red. Thats the only reason I had kept it higher there before.
    wiresk.png
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Is it alright to have these verts going no where, I circled the area in red. Thats the only reason I had kept it higher there before.
    wiresk.png

Well...not really, that produces n-gons which are best avoided for clean geo. but you can separate the mesh so that the pole and inner are detached from the main lamp section. Which allows you to have a different rotational edge loop count. You can still reduce the polys in the main lamp section as well. Just keep the silhouette readable. Its depends on the polycount budget you are working with of course.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    predpaul, you should get a lot more references! its very thin right now and there are many inaccuracies which you'll notice immediately once you have pictures from some more angles :)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    predpaul wrote: »
    Working on this at the moment, just a bit of sub d practice really. All geometry :) I'm new to this so feedback is welcomed.

261839_10150310557025081_567675080_9508318_6276086_n.jpg
    Like Amsterdam said, get more references, it's very thin and a lot of shapes are off.

I don't think you have the profile for the grip at all. It should be more rounded on the front, and looks like it tapers a bit in the back. The thumb rest is more of a pipe shape.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Well...not really, that produces n-gons which are best avoided for clean geo. but you can separate the mesh so that the pole and inner are detached from the main lamp section. Which allows you to have a different rotational edge loop count. You can still reduce the polys in the main lamp section as well. Just keep the silhouette readable. Its depends on the polycount budget you are working with of course.
    Thank you, I had always wondered that when I saw models that seemed to have verts ending without a edge.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    predpaul wrote: »

261839_10150310557025081_567675080_9508318_6276086_n.jpg270529_10150310601680081_567675080_9508968_5009534_n.jpg268133_10150310601580081_567675080_9508966_1954424_n.jpg

Gun is way too thin and the edges of the grip are too sharp. Look at more than just a side reference when modeling something.

group1edit1.jpg
    vp70_004.jpg
    vp70_018.jpg
    vp70_010.jpg

This page has tons of good refs (it's airsoft but good airsoft guns are 99.9% accurate visually anyways) http://www.justpistols.co.uk/vp70.htm

8ba9cf1670ee86071d874b24df0f630f.png

These are of an older version that doesn't have the thumb groove but it's mostly the same.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Respectfully disagree with Kitteh, airsoft should only be a last resort for form detail you have no other reference for, they are not "99.9%" accurate. I know this is all bullshit gun nerd stuff but where I used to not spot airsoft, now all airsoft, even the high end stuff, always looks fake.
    The material reads especially, even on the high end airsoft, are still no substitution for the original article. Generally speaking the fidelity won't be missed, no, but as for me I have enough trouble getting detail right copying from proper reference--why spend so much time trying to nail a material exactly when your reference isn't quite the right material. Why copy a fake gun for my virtual gun? :) When googling for guns I always use the -airsoft switch.

But yeah his comments are spot on, gun needs to be thicker, a lot of the slide details aren't put together right etc.
  • predpaul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh wrote: »
    Gun is way too thin and the edges of the grip are too sharp. Look at more than just a side reference when modeling something.

group1edit1.jpg
    vp70_004.jpg
    vp70_018.jpg
    vp70_010.jpg

This page has tons of good refs (it's airsoft but good airsoft guns are 99.9% accurate visually anyways) http://www.justpistols.co.uk/vp70.htm

8ba9cf1670ee86071d874b24df0f630f.png

These are of an older version that doesn't have the thumb groove but it's mostly the same.

That's cool. I have a few other views as for the edges I'll lose some of the chamfers and upload soon. :)
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    Poopin in here.
    Sorry about the shitty brow color in.Will fix..just too lazy at the moment :p

05def8c3.png
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    wip2s.jpg

Wall pieces for a new scene I'm working on.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Finished my hand painted character... Shameless cross post from my Thread
    Pic1.jpg

Cool little character man. I could see this guy in a iphone game.
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    a kitty dps signature
    5892636538_c9f4548977.jpg
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
  • onetru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onetru polycounter lvl 8
    wip of a scene I'm working on between league of legend games :poly124:
    Untitled-2.jpgUntitled-1-1.jpg
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    @throttlekitty, glad you are liking the hands, haha. Sorry I did not increase the nose size, I was trying to practice with smaller noses because all my characters have abnormally large ones.

@EiGHT, don't worry about the eyebrow color! That piece looks great either way

@onetru, nice environment so far. I'd like to see some backdrop with that. To me it seems like it would be in a cave or something. Keep it up!

Also, I'd like to post an update of what I'm working on. If this is solid I'm on to polypainting! :)

WIP06.png
  • DEElekgolo
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love everything about Allan-P besides him being a brony.
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    More Ninja crap.Ugh.

50ce3704.png
This discussion has been closed.