Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix: That bit had caught my eye too, but for a different reason, I've smoothed the transition from the handle to the guard so it won't look so sharp now.

@ColonelBD: I think much sharper if you're doing one bright layer for them.

In reference to your post elsewhere, (yeah I should probably register there as a feedback/tech support point for my mods there) the actual amount of bright highlight colour on the edges is tiny, in the example you picked there the strokes are little more than one pixel wide.

Also I'm with roninsmastermix in regards to highlights in strange places - remember this is still edge wear on metal and it isn't going to wear in certain places, along with the brightness suggesting the strength of wear and therefore sharpness of the edge (as sharper edges will be more easily and thus more frequently worn).
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Manuca
    Amazing, the best sniper hat anyone's done, right there. Though one little thing is something about the canyon style strikes me as a bit oversaturated or too dark.

I'd like it if Valve would make the style choice automatic based on the current map. As much fun as picking the wrong camoflage for a map would be, it would be a cool feature.

Anyway, glad you guys liked the clothes. I also made some american tanker boots for the soldier. Still have to tone the details down quite a bit, not sure about the color and some other problems, but, well...
    IrEEP.jpg
    Elbagast wrote: »
    @Svdl: Whoa, that's actually quite a big change to how they look...

Hopefully not too big.. the characters should still look like themselves even on the quickest glance.

Loving the stickylauncher, too. Do you intend to give the outwards protruding screws(?) in front of the magazine the same treatment as the ones in the back? They are catching my eye a little.
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all for those feedbacks!

@Piesandbombs,
    ''Styles'' are just a skin or texture variation, it doesn't involve any model variation. I think that painting wouldn't fit in this case, any color in the hat would call too much attention.

@Elbagast,
    I even thought about doing diferent vegatation models for each camouflage, like a cactus for desert, alpine plants for snow, etc, but as styles doesn't work whith model variations I decided to simplify. The camouflage is just an idea, a joke as you said.
    Dude! your weapon is a beast by the way!

@Barlim,
    Well pointed Dude! you're right, it is tauting, I had not even paid attention, I will try to solve this.

@Svdl,
    I Will try to fix this oversaturation, but I'm not shure what is causing this, I don't know if is the texture or the illumination, because the texture isn't oversaturated. When I submit to Valve I will ask them if it is possible to change the camouflage according to the map.

stealth_hat_canyon.jpg
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Manuca: Are you certain that Styles only work with textures? Because the Styles options for the Gibbus are the new model vs. the old model, and the Hat of Undeniable etc. and so forth lets you change it to the regular treasure hat.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Barlim wrote: »
    @Manuca: Are you certain that Styles only work with textures? Because the Styles options for the Gibbus are the new model vs. the old model, and the Hat of Undeniable etc. and so forth lets you change it to the regular treasure hat.

Styles definitely also work with models. I'm not sure how to set it up or if only Valve can set it up, but it can change the model.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Svdl: Oh they're definitely still the same guys, the stripes on the heavy just sort of jumped out at me, even though it's a really simple change. It's probably just the increased brightness the extra white has. This sort of thing is definitely worth exploring more.

I was wondering about those parts on the launcher and whether they needed any more detail. I've changed them to two different styles of nut to make them more recognisable as what they're meant to be now.

An interesting point about Mancua's hat changing styles with map...the World Traveler hat knows what map it is so there's something like that already coded...

Also I see as I'm typing this they've dropped a tonne of new weapons into the beta. Interesting.
  • roninsmastermix
    @Svdl: Oh they're definitely still the same guys, the stripes on the heavy just sort of jumped out at me, even though it's a really simple change. It's probably just the increased brightness the extra white has. This sort of thing is definitely worth exploring more.

I was wondering about those parts on the launcher and whether they needed any more detail. I've changed them to two different styles of nut to make them more recognisable as what they're meant to be now.

An interesting point about Mancua's hat changing styles with map...the World Traveler hat knows what map it is so there's something like that already coded...

Also I see as typing this they've dropped a tonne of new weapons into the beta. Interesting.

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/April_26,_2011_Patch_(Beta)

Look at those boys. Seems we are either getting a bunch of weapons that are in the backlog on the submitted weapons. Could also be a good opportunity to add/make more weapons.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hl22011042621573209.png
    hl22011042621575601.png
    hl22011042622003031.png
    mailbox.png

good evening gentlemen. as i have started previously i was ultimately unhappy with the previous texture i had done for the postal pummeler so i have been working on making a better texture. so what do you guys think? also sorry for the large amount of pictures >.<
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    @doughnutbear: The texture is alot better, I think you need to add some wear on the opening side of the mailbox.
  • roninsmastermix
    BenHenry wrote: »
    @doughnutbear: The texture is alot better, I think you need to add some wear on the opening side of the mailbox.

i agree with the tear in the front of the box. Since its a given that part of the box gets to hit peoples heads and balls. :D

also an update on my ninja spy. Thanks to Psyke for the scripts.
    ninja_spy_colored_by_rave8259-d3ezjqb.jpg

I need to tweak it a bit. Too shiny for me taste. Should be cloth-like not plasticy. My bad, i didn't give Psyke the smd file. I still can figure how to rig the Blu version in the .qc file.
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Manuca: I see there are no actual variation in models, but there aren't any hats currently in game with different 'styles' that can't be changed with paint as far as I know. It's not a hard thing to add, just a bit off their normal pattern.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    TauVertex wrote: »
    I'd highly recommend using 2.57 to export.

Indeed. I can even make new bones to jiggle with!
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need to tweak it a bit. Too shiny for me taste. Should be cloth-like not plasticy. My bad, i didn't give Psyke the smd file. I still can figure how to rig the Blu version in the .qc file.

oh i'll have a look through the VMTS and tweak them for you. you want a soft light material look correct? similar to that on the ten gallon/baseball caps
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good ronin
  • roninsmastermix
    Question to all. When submitting, is there a limit on the number of collaborators on a specific item you submitted? I know there have been cases to which 2 persons where credited to a hat or weapon but how about 3 or more?
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i belive daimo and benjamuffin have put down several users as their collaborators
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Manuca wrote: »
    Thanks all for those feedbacks!

stealth_hat_canyon.jpg

Does no one else see a koala bear face in that texture sheet?! crazy coincidence that its for the sniper. Looks great by the way!
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    Does no one else see a koala bear face in that texture sheet?!
    Cannot be unseen.
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manuca wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm still setting the jigglebones... but in the meantime you guys can give me a feedback.

stealth_hat_01.jpg
    Looks good, would have named it the All-Terrain Slayer, with the text "from the jungle to the tundra, a bullet to the head always has the same effect"

on the roman helmet that Jzeeba and i are working on we changed the yellow outlines to a more bronze color using the same colors from the bugle of the buff banner will post the skin later.
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barlim wrote: »

Sorry for the wrong information! You were write, the styles works with model variations, skin variations and boddygroups.
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rada wrote: »
    Looks good, would have named it the All-Terrain Slayer, with the text "from the jungle to the tundra, a bullet to the head always has the same effect"

on the roman helmet that Jzeeba and i are working on we changed the yellow outlines to a more bronze color using the same colors from the bugle of the buff banner will post the skin later.

Good name and frase @Rada! Thanks! :)
  • Octocat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First try at modelling :

26c712c5-7716-450c-b845-9dc27f0aa0fa.jpg

It's a mustache for the Heavy, I'll try to put it in-game tonight, got some trouble with it. :)
  • SachenMacher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am thinking about a Knight-Helmet for the Soldier...has anyone done this yet?
  • FrEaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SachenMacher, always remember one rule on making TF2 items: If it ain't in-game, MAKE IT!
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octocat wrote: »
    First try at modelling :

26c712c5-7716-450c-b845-9dc27f0aa0fa.jpg

It's a mustache for the Heavy, I'll try to put it in-game tonight, got some trouble with it. :)
    looks brilliant so far. this+Coupe D'isaster+KGBs=Dudley
    "CROSS COUNTAH!!!!!!"
  • roninsmastermix
    C7089601A15E15C709C33DC912DA4586DB43C513

Alright. Got a screen of the blu version of the hat. I have all the jigglebones rigged to the ribbon at the back but when i try to export using blender, it tells me 2 warnings "Found Second Armature (jiggle1) Ignoring.

Anyone know on how i can export this into the .smd? When i pose it in blender, the ribbons the jiggles correctly as well. Need help or otherwise i'm just going to submit this like the hachimaki with its short knot and unjiggled.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    postalpummeler1.jpg
    2011042800001y.jpg
    2011042800003.jpg

fixed some stuff up and added a large area without paint around the receiving end of the mailbox. crits are highly welcomed :)
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Alright. Got a screen of the blu version of the hat. I have all the jigglebones rigged to the ribbon at the back but when i try to export using blender, it tells me 2 warnings "Found Second Armature (jiggle1) Ignoring.

Anyone know on how i can export this into the .smd? When i pose it in blender, the ribbons the jiggles correctly as well. Need help or otherwise i'm just going to submit this like the hachimaki with its short knot and unjiggled.

Are you sure you're selecting both the armature for the hat AND the hat itself when you export?

Also, you were able to see the bones jiggling in blender? I've never actually been able to do that.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got additional jiggling bones on the same armature, no second armature is necessary. Just make new bones and assign $jigglebone to them in the qc. It'll work and it won't wreck anything (I hope).

You don't see jiggles in blender. Pop open your HL2 model viewer, hit f5 per compile while you tweak the jiggles in the QC, repeat etc.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei wrote: »
    I got additional jiggling bones on the same armature, no second armature is necessary. Just make new bones and assign $jigglebone to them in the qc. It'll work and it won't wreck anything (I hope).

You don't see jiggles in blender. Pop open your HL2 model viewer, hit f5 per compile while you tweak the jiggles in the QC, repeat etc.

Oh, I already knew about viewing them in HLMV, but I thought he might've had some version of Blender that let you see them. I actually had a scarf I was trying to get to jigglebone realistically, but I just can't seem to get it right. :/
  • roninsmastermix
    Oh, I already knew about viewing them in HLMV, but I thought he might've had some version of Blender that let you see them. I actually had a scarf I was trying to get to jigglebone realistically, but I just can't seem to get it right. :/

Sorry about that. I didn't mean that it jiggles in blender. I meant I can see it pose and move along with the bone and it's envelop. Let me run down what I did...

Created a hat.
    Made four bones as a separate object for one of the ribbons.

I made another set of 4 bones for the other ribbon. These are 2 separate bone sets that are unconnected to each other. So right now, my scene consists of my hat, the bip_head, "jiggle1" (bone set) and "jiggle2" (bone set)

Enter edit mode of my hat.

Selected the vertices that make up one of the ribbons then add an armature modifier and set jiggle1 as parent.

Do the same for jiggle2. Here I test out both bone sets and when I pose the bone, the ribbon vertices pose along with the bones.

Now I select the hat and the 2 bone sets and try to export smd data. It always tells me "warning: second armature found "jiggle1" Ignoring" and "warning: second armature found "jiggle2" ignoring"

Does that mean that the smd was created along with the hat?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, it means you have too many armatures. Stick to using one armature only, and make new bones in that. You could join your jiggle armatures to that one armature it's bound to.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei wrote: »
    No, it means you have too many armatures. Stick to using one armature only, and make new bones in that. You could join your jiggle armatures to that one armature it's bound to.

Yeah, think of the way bipeds in TF2 are set up regarding armatures. They have one armature modifier for the model, which all the bones are parented to.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    First stab at TF2 stuff, so be harsh and crit me up! About 2500 tris.

diplomat.jpg
    diplomate.jpg
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on this hat... Rada worked on the texture to update it according to the suggestions. I think it looks better, the shade of yellow makes it look more like metal. Still need to clean up those white spots on the crest but that shouldn't take long.

2011042900001g.jpg

2011042900004.jpg

2011042900003.jpg

Now we're thinking of names for it, here are some:
    "Gruesome Galea" (Roman for helmet)
    "Legionnaire's Legacy"
    "Centurion's Cap"
    "Crocket Dominatus"

And for description:
    "I came, I saw, I crocket",
    "I am Legion. For my rockets are many"
    "Now when you beat your enemies so hard they will build a monument to your ass-kickery"

I like "Crocket Dominatus" :poly124:

What do you guys think? :)
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia wrote: »
    First stab at TF2 stuff, so be harsh and crit me up! About 2500 tris.

I think it looks amazing, and the Spy definitely NEEDS some sort of silenced James Bond weapon, but I think you should tone down on the brush strokes a little bit. I would leave it on areas and edges that are more likely to rub against something and get scuffed. And damn man, for a first time at TF2 stuff, you really nailed it.

Any thoughts on stats? When you finish this, PLEASE submit it to Valve.
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed with D-D-D-Demon!, it looks amazing, though the texture may be a little too detailed for TF2's simple style. A bit fewer, broader brush strokes and that model would be ripe for submitting.
  • Apocol0id
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Barlim. Large brush strokes could look good on the main gun and a big one on the silencer could really amp it up, but it's amazin'. Maybe some spytech lookin equipment attached could help them think of crazy gameplay attributes to attach to it (similar to the Frontier Justice, and it fits with the spy's bond-like gadget theme.)
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is anybody else's model viewer doubling the strength of the phong shading? Pretty sure it wasn't doing that prior to the Hatless update...

@Doughnut Bear: Cool paintwork. the only thing bugging me at the moment is the angle of the lighting on the handle, seems like there may be something set wrong.

@Millenia: I'm going to echo the other guys, the technique on the texture looks good, but there's too much of it. I'd go for a bigger brush for some/all of the stroking and reduce the overall amount of stroking.

@JZeeba: Looking good, "Centurion's Cap" seems most appropriate given it's a Centurion's helmet, though if you like "Crocket Dominatus", shouldn't it be "Crocketus Dominatus"?

---

I've unwrapped my launcher and have been playing with colour schemes:

sticky_launcher_colour_tests_by_elbagast-d3f6a66.png

The first one pulls the colour from most ammo boxes, but no, just no. Olive drab, I have had my fill of thee. Also an army colour seems off for the demoman anyway.

Otherwise the some kind of teamcoloured scheme seems to be where I'm headed. I've not tested the ones with yellow in game yet so I don't know how garish they actually are, but there may be something there. Yellow definitely has associations with demolition and is already present on the Scottish Resistance.

As ever any comments welcome, I'm going to play around a bit more and get some ingame shots of these.
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is anybody else's model viewer doubling the strength of the phong shading? Pretty sure it wasn't doing that prior to the Hatless update...

@Doughnut Bear: Cool paintwork. the only thing bugging me at the moment is the angle of the lighting on the handle, seems like there may be something set wrong.

@Millenia: I'm going to echo the other guys, the technique on the texture looks good, but there's too much of it. I'd go for a bigger brush for some/all of the stroking and reduce the overall amount of stroking.

@JZeeba: Looking good, "Centurion's Cap" seems most appropriate given it's a Centurion's helmet, though if you like "Crocket Dominatus", shouldn't it be "Crocketus Dominatus"?

---

I've unwrapped my launcher and have been playing with colour schemes:

sticky_launcher_colour_tests_by_elbagast-d3f6a66.png

The first one pulls the colour from most ammo boxes, but no, just no. Olive drab, I have had my fill of thee. Also an army colour seems off for the demoman anyway.

Otherwise the some kind of teamcoloured scheme seems to be where I'm headed. I've not tested the ones with yellow in game yet so I don't know how garish they actually are, but there may be something there. Yellow definitely has associations with demolition and is already present on the Scottish Resistance.

As ever any comments welcome, I'm going to play around a bit more and get some ingame shots of these.

dude. i don't have any comments. but i DO think you need another compliment. Looks VERY good. Keep it up!
  • Chiff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I would say the body of #3, with the ammo box from #9, but toned down a little. Looks fantastic, by the way. :)
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips everybody, does this look any better? 100% self illum.

diplomatv.jpg
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips everybody, does this look any better? 100% self illum.

diplomatv.jpg

Personally, I think it should be shinier, since it sort of looks like paper/cardboard right now rather than metal.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's 100% self illuminated in that render, I'm not going to paint lighting into the diffuse map :P

Though if you wanna see how it looks like with a shader here you go:

diplomatk.jpg
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    this was found in the game files, sad day not only do i think it looks bad but i feel kinda cheated.

250px-Bucket_o%27_Brains.png
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Willy-wilson: Just checked the wiki, its a cut/unreleased promo for Plants vs zombies along with this. I agree with you, your ones much better, this ones just too plain (plus its a promo...soo yeah).

@Elbagast: I like 2 and 4 with the ammo box of 9 (toned down though). I'm not a big fan of the team colours as they in my opinion look garish and make the weapon look like a toy.
  • Robert E. Lee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast, you're gonna have to do 3
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally, I think it should be shinier, since it sort of looks like paper/cardboard right now rather than metal.

I agree. i think it looks REALLY GOOD when its shiny.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's 100% self illuminated in that render, I'm not going to paint lighting into the diffuse map :P

Gahhhh, it's looks soooooooo good when it's shiny.

As far as the strokes go, maybe have them going down the length of the slide and barrel rather than around? It just really looks too unnatural to me like that.
  • acarr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acarr polycounter lvl 6

You should try and see how it looks with horizontal strokes along the barrel(?) instead of the vertical ones you have now.