Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @FrEaK - thx :)

@Manuca _ I think you're right. Credit for the texture goes to Rada though. Although I had to modify the UVs a bit and that ended up changing those parts you mention but I'll get it fixed.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manuca wrote: »
    It would be great! But I have no idea how to do it. I Could try with some help.

I don't know if there are other tutorials around, but this one worked for me when I needed to add jigglebones to a hat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmfK-xlNn88

• Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ - roninsmastermix

Is the metal band thing across the forehead a generic ninja mask thing or is it a Naruto thing? I'd be worried that if it is derived that closely from something it might limit it from making it into game (same goes for the rocketeer hat a few pages back).

Some referential stuff has made it in (Tough Guy's Toque being Jayne's hat from Firefly) but it's got to be 'right'.

@ - JZeeba

In the picture above, compare your brass texture with the brass texture on the bugle.
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZeeba wrote: »
    I don't know if there are other tutorials around, but this one worked for me when I needed to add jigglebones to a hat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmfK-xlNn88

Thanks for the link! It Will be my next challenge.
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This page is very helpful with jigglebones, as well:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$jigglebone

They aren't too difficult to set up so long as you position the bone axes correctly. Sometimes they can act pretty funky, though, so you might have to mess with the variables a bit.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @JZeeba, I like the helm a lot, but the bands are too yellow and the texture is sloppy. The yellow bits should be really sharp and crisp even though the painting style of TF2 is 'splotchy'. While splotchy in colors textures are strill really clean and nice.

I think the arc holding the hair should be all yellow, or all grey too, being the only part that looks darker than the rest is out of place and blends too much with the hair.

The top/bottom brim and the neckline thing should be all yellow/brass imo.

----
    I dig the snipe hat, even better without flower. But still seems a bit over saturated.
  • roninsmastermix
    Ruskeydoo wrote: »
    @ - roninsmastermix

Is the metal band thing across the forehead a generic ninja mask thing or is it a Naruto thing? I'd be worried that if it is derived that closely from something it might limit it from making it into game (same goes for the rocketeer hat a few pages back).

Some referential stuff has made it in (Tough Guy's Toque being Jayne's hat from Firefly) but it's got to be 'right'.

@ - JZeeba

In the picture above, compare your brass texture with the brass texture on the bugle.

The naruto is more like a plate and this one is a band. But it certainly looks like too much of a naruto design. I'll make it thinner and more like that of kagemaru from virtua fighter. Thanks for the input. I'd love more input while I plan my design on version 2.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    21051201.png
    18620858.png
    56256439.png

something i started today alongside my glass shard shank. its kinda a triple monacle/watch maker's magnifier. i intend to add hinges to the second 2 pieces, the screenshots make it all kind of hard to see. Also i know i already submitted my mailbox but just wondering do you guys think it was ready? or is there something i should do and submit an updated version?.
  • Jedah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    Texturing my alien hat is coming out odd. Could really use some crits on it.

amchatltexture.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    I'm currently working on a--well, nevermind.
  • bugcatcherjake
    BenHenry wrote: »
    I love Valve right now............
    Oh god please don´t tell me they accepted your Gangster Heavy thing. :poly118:
  • knay3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol hilarious... awesome expression
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

well that wasnt very nice....
  • Colonel88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just making random weapons... Strangely my MDL Decompiler isn't working, says some error like "0x0000005" or something. I tried reinstalling it; doesn't work. Any help?

Anyways, I've just made this Ninjato, took me like several hours, mostly for practice, anything I can improve on?

Ninjato1.jpg

Also made a Lever Action RIfle replacement for the Scout, also cant try it out because MDL is thrown off D:<

Model11.jpg

Awhile back I made a Steampunkish Sentry gun, just for practice, came out okay... I think...

SentryGun1.jpg
    SentryGun2.jpg

And that is my load of random models I have done, most of them at least a month old, because I was either lazy or was uhm... "working" on my "collection" of hats. Thanks for watching, sorry if the images came out big :P
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make sure you uncheck all the tickboxes on the decompiler and make sure your paths are proper.
    also make sure that you edit the mdl you're decompiling to read DST,(etc) instead of DST0 or any other 4th character
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Wow, I don't see you doing anything. Why don't you try to go and model something.
  • Slayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I smell some jealousy....:)
  • Colonel88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, its just that as soon as I click on the MDLDecompiler.exe it pops up that message. So, I cant really uncheck stuff (Im using the hacked version)
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I don't see you doing anything. Why don't you try to go and model something.

i think he is just trying to piss you off. i personally love the mobster pack, especially the minigun which is really top-notch
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colonel88 wrote: »
    Just making random weapons... Strangely my MDL Decompiler isn't working, says some error like "0x0000005" or something. I tried reinstalling it; doesn't work. Any help?

Anyways, I've just made this Ninjato, took me like several hours, mostly for practice, anything I can improve on?

Also made a Lever Action RIfle replacement for the Scout, also cant try it out because MDL is thrown off D:<

Awhile back I made a Steampunkish Sentry gun, just for practice, came out okay... I think...

And that is my load of random models I have done, most of them at least a month old, because I was either lazy or was uhm... "working" on my "collection" of hats. Thanks for watching, sorry if the images came out big :P

Most of them at least a month old? wow. I'm surprised you're showing them, since you're not afraid anyone will steal your ideas.
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyways, guys....

just before i finish my model. can someone tell me again what i need in order to hand in my design to valve? I mean, say it does get put in game and i'm not even sure if people are still making money off their models in game, but if some of you guys are actually making a profit off your models in game, what exactly do you need to collect your money? : P

ie: american citizenship?
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyways, guys....

just before i finish my model. can someone tell me again what i need in order to hand in my design to valve? I mean, say it does get put in game and i'm not even sure if people are still making money off their models in game, but if some of you guys are actually making a profit off your models in game, what exactly do you need to collect your money? : P

ie: american citizenship?

i think you just need a paypal account
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    When your item is put into the store they'll e-mail you with a form of information to fill out. They require you to fill in some bank information now so if the payment is too big for Paypal they'll send it straight to your bank account. There are also a few tax forms to fill out and if you don't live in the U.S. those can get kind of tricky. You'll need to fill out some extra forms and it may take a month for some of them to go through but once it's all sorted out you'll get all of the money you've made from the item over the time you were setting up the payment stuff.
  • Slayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I smell some jealousy...:)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

lol, that's exactly what I thought when I read that post.

I think the Gansta Heavy is a pretty classy pack and fits the 'time period' pretty well.
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, some of you might remember this hat I made for the Polycount Contest.

Nightrider_wip6.jpg

I decided to go back to it and try to make some refinements. Sunglasses were redone, bullets, the pin and the band holding them together had their proportions altered. Base of the hat remained intact. Hat alone is 1064 tris, glasses are 514. Here's how it looks now. Pretty good I think and certainly better than it used to be.

Night_Rider_v2_wip2.jpg

Night_Rider_v2_wip3.jpg

Now a bit of a backstory: it was made by taking several items from the Mad Max movie and putting them together, as the pack's theme was that very movie. However, seeing as it is going to be contributed as a single item and not a part of a themed pack, I'm not sure if the pin for example is fully justified. Basically, I don't know whether to make this hat as a Mad Max reference, named originally the Night Rider. Taking the pin away in my opinion would make it just a hat with some bullets and optionally sunglasses (no idea if Valve will bother making it work properly), yet leaving a possibility for a nice name such as Rifleman's Reserve for example.

I'm open to your criticism and suggestions.
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    When your item is put into the store they'll e-mail you with a form of information to fill out. They require you to fill in some bank information now so if the payment is too big for Paypal they'll send it straight to your bank account. There are also a few tax forms to fill out and if you don't live in the U.S. those can get kind of tricky. You'll need to fill out some extra forms and it may take a month for some of them to go through but once it's all sorted out you'll get all of the money you've made from the item over the time you were setting up the payment stuff.

Is it possible for them to mail a check?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Rada wrote: »
    Is it possible for them to mail a check?

I fairly sure they won't. If they make the exception for one person and start sending him/her checks then they'd have to do it for everyone who asks and that would really complicate things for them. Wouldn't hurt to ask though.
  • Jedah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    @ Mad Mike, like the hat so far, although a bit blocky. Valve has been accepting hats with a higher tricount than what is stated on the contribute page recently.

Also, been experimenting with my Alien Hat. Right now I have something that looks nicer IMO but now it is getting hard to recognize as a Flying saucer. If it wasn't for the alien in the cockpit it probably wouldn't fly. This is turning out to be harder to texture to TF2 style than I thought. A bit too many small details for a hat. Any input to help would be appreciated.

amchatteamcoloredcropd.jpg
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
  • roninsmastermix
    Jedah wrote: »

Also, been experimenting with my Alien Hat. Right now I have something that looks nicer IMO but now it is getting hard to recognize as a Flying saucer. If it wasn't for the alien in the cockpit it probably wouldn't fly. This is turning out to be harder to texture to TF2 style than I thought. A bit too many small details for a hat. Any input to help would be appreciated.
    i liked the chrome/silverish version more, honestly. i think that plays a lot more on the lore of the actual roswell incident.
  • roninsmastermix
    not_so_naruto_ninja_by_rave8259-d3eicjx.jpg

Update on my ninja spy hat. Now less Naruto-ness and even less tris (584 last count) i now have a lot of room to add some practical and sensible details like a tie at the back of the head. (maybe a long, jiggleboned tie, dunno how to make it though) and some cuts and tears like in my previous version. Crits and comments are welcome.
  • roninsmastermix
    ninja_spy_version_2_1_by_rave8259-d3eite0.jpg

Updated. Again your insight is much appreciated. May need help attaching jigglebones on the ribbon
  • TauVertex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sort of related to the payment issue, I've been wondering about something. If you submitted an item made using educational software that prohibits commercial use, and then the item got accepted, would it then become "commercial work" and violate the license terms? I really doubt Valve would ask any questions, and I doubt it's something Autodesk would care about, but I can't help but be curious.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix i think you should make the band significantly thinner, right now it looks kinda like he has a slab of metal around his head
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix
    'cause lets face it guys: Spy NEEDS a ninja mask like Scout needs a Mercury Helmet (I still don't know why they haven't accepted ant's yet)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    TauVertex wrote: »
    Sort of related to the payment issue, I've been wondering about something. If you submitted an item made using educational software that prohibits commercial use, and then the item got accepted, would it then become "commercial work" and violate the license terms? I really doubt Valve would ask any questions, and I doubt it's something Autodesk would care about, but I can't help but be curious.

i doubt valve would look into it and i doubt autodesk would care and you could prolly fight it as fair use.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all your comments, still need to modify the yellow color but cleaned up the texture a bit...

does the crest holder look better grey or yellow?

2011042100006.jpg

2011042100002j.jpg

2011042000004.jpg
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Jzeeba: the grey metal parts look too much like paint imo, and the brushstrokes are too obvious. its fine for painted stuff, but not for unpainted polished roman helmet. again, imo. :)
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished and Submitted!
    Punk.png
    punk_2.png
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TF2 meets Mad Max, I like it
  • polygunz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol I found a reggaelator today!
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BenHenry
    You might want to fix how it clips with the Bandolier. Not bad though.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    Manuca wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks for all opinions,

I decided to make two versions of the camouflage hat, The first one is the version shown previously but with the suggestions of @Doughnut Bear and @Larate (I will post soon), and the second version is this version on the pictures, I took of the flower, put some stones and changed the colors in order to match the colors of Dustbow, Goldrush, etc. I'm thinking of doing a snow style and a green vegatation style too.

camouflage_02.jpg

Please do, I love them both and if you could find a way of making them automatically detect the map and change accordingly I would love you, I'm not one to buy hats from the in game store but I'll get my hands on it :D and somehow repay you with online love and bitch work if you need any :lol:

EDIT: to the last thing posted on the last page, I don't really like it :? they don't fit into TF2 at all me thinks, too far from anything TF2 related to work. looks very fallout which just doesn't suit
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JZeeba,

I think it's looking better for sure. Can't say I prefer the grey or yellow better for that piece. I think it looks good either way.

But I think you should try to make the yellow bits look more like brass. A touch more brown in them, less saturated.
    The brass of of the Merryweather would look awesome on it (would also tie it into that catagory a bit better)
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZeeba wrote: »
    Thanks for all your comments, still need to modify the yellow color but cleaned up the texture a bit...

does the crest holder look better grey or yellow?

i like it so far but i think you should work abit on the metal texture. you should the strokes more subtle right now the brush strokes are just way too in your face besides that i think its looking good
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    anyone have any info on styles i would like to add one but have no idea how.
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @willy-wilson
    I'm pretty sure it's all on Valve's end for setting those up. If you provide multiple skins, submodels, complete models, whatever, I would think they should be able to make Styles out of them. Just be sure to specify in the submission notes what you intend.
  • Manuca
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone have any info on styles i would like to add one but have no idea how.

I don't have much information about this, but all items that i've seem with diferent styles were just skin variations.