Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Robert E. Lee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast
    I absolutely love the design and textures, although the wood on the back seems to have a bit too much gleam. But honestly, this SL better get in, or I will shave my head and change my name.
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast: Looking good, I like the color scheme. Have you thought of making a custom sticky bomb model to go with it? The Scottish Resistance has a unique one, after all.

EDIT: Also, in the in-game screenshot you posted on the last page, it looks like the demo's hand isn't holding the rear handle properly... the alignment seems a bit off.
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the silhouette for a Scattergun replacement. Any notes?

ScoutGun.png
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    34bd5ead66dacff67b69a0a4dd7206bb.png

c8543f08444c28fd47909e8567676d35.png

Ping. Excuse the place-holder net texture, this hat is called;

"The Bee-Keeper"

Based of a concept by Left_4_Pills.

Edit:

a48849370e0574f0388e3de7a814aae1.png

A lil' easier to see.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GHf42.jpg

Major creds to Svdl on the texture.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Sexy Robot, that's a good idea for a hat and it's coming along nicely. My main suggestion would be to perhaps try out some sort of pattern or detail on the veil. Right now it just looks like it's a flat white texture set to transparency. Also have you tried having the veil a black/greyish color? I just looked up some pictures of bee keeper's veils and black/grey ones seem to be more common although there were some white ones.

Also that's a very nice medigun. Not sure what else to say. Everything on it looks great.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Svdl, I think it would be fantastic if you could share some of your texturing techniques, I would personally love it if you could.
  • roninsmastermix
    BenHenry wrote: »
    Svdl, I think it would be fantastic if you could share some of your texturing techniques, I would personally love it if you could.

I also would like this as well. Although I would understand that he would be busy and respect that he would keep his techniques. Elbagast too is a monster in texturing. I'm going to try and keep the same level of detail along these 2 top notch artists.
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Sexy robot, just pointing out that that is not the final texture I sent you. I'm not too fond of that one.

Also on topic of texturing, I don't know what else to say except what's in this thread, you might've seen it already. If it helps, here's a little picture of the final texture of the above medigun.

In other news, I turned the earlier dress shirt for the soldier into a bunch of sort of commonly themed items. (the common theme is general patton)
    ddiNS.jpg

I also remade one of my first models ever, Stalin (or any other mustachioed person or character) hair, though I am feeling it's a bit redundant with the slight similarity to the hound dog it has. The moustache might make a nice misc item, it doesn't really clip with the facial animations (but it never moves either so there's that)
    HZ5TO.jpg
    HYlWy.jpg
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I like how he ends up looking like Mike Ditka and Freddie Mercury instead :)
  • roninsmastermix
    Svdl, it's good enough to be unique on it's own. It looks distinct enough from the hound dog. If you feel otherwise, submit both the mustache and hair as a hat.
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei wrote: »
    I like how he ends up looking like Mike Ditka and Freddie Mercury instead :)

This is very much acceptable.

Also, yeah, I'm intending it submit it both ways.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like Haggar from Final Fight to me. >_>
  • Nugget
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flowerpower.jpg
    Not totally sure what to add to this one. Was thinking of flower pot shards or pebbles, but I feel like that isn't what it really needs.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    This is not item related, but it's proof that the Blender SMD and VTA exporter officially no longer sucks

If I went from 'oh woe smd exporter hopelessly broken for 6 years and counting' to get to this point, including working jigglebones, eyes moving (especially since the coords match, its easier to position eyes in Blender now, no need to qc_eyes) and face flexing... then something miraculous has happened. My favorite part is making bones that don't break animations!

Now I should get cracking on something new. I learned Blender 2.57 just for this ;)
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    @Sexy Robot, that's a good idea for a hat and it's coming along nicely. My main suggestion would be to perhaps try out some sort of pattern or detail on the veil. Right now it just looks like it's a flat white texture set to transparency. Also have you tried having the veil a black/greyish color? I just looked up some pictures of bee keeper's veils and black/grey ones seem to be more common although there were some white ones.

Also that's a very nice medigun. Not sure what else to say. Everything on it looks great.

Yeah.

The veil on the hat currently just has an ambient occlusion texture on it, it's not textured atm like the rest of the hat.
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast: Wow. This colour scheme is just perfect and those details make it look totally killer. Can't wait to see the final version.

@Sexy Robot: That's a pretty neat medigun there. Don't know whose choice it was, but the bright tones look much fresher compared to the original one.

@Svdl: Cool stuff there, especially the Soldier items. Great job on the epaulettes (or however it's spelled), just a detail, but makes an interesting change to the overall look. Heavy's hair and moustache is sweet too, and that leftmost expression on the first pic is priceless.

Now, about my hat, I think I'm pretty much done with it, gonna prepare it for contribution, unless of course you have any suggestions on what could be improved. Also, pleas ignore the standard glasses. I cba to get rid of them without breaking the whole model (and don't even know how).

Night_Rider_v2_wip5.jpg

2011-05-02_00001.jpg

2011-05-02_00003.jpg

2011-05-02_00004.jpg
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7b5d88a3f94a0b11974e3ca1c19a42a1.png

29345914cd1bf2e8851f2202d21ea431.png

Creds to Blaholtzen on the texture.

The band is white because of paint not working in mdlviewer for some odd reason.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new_bolt.jpg

Is the bolt big enough now?

@Mad mike:

That looks pretty cool, However the texture on the top of the bullet makes it look like a crayon, either add more stokes or make the entire bullet one colour throughout.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks tons better sexy robot.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei wrote: »
    This is not item related, but it's proof that the Blender SMD and VTA exporter officially no longer sucks

If I went from 'oh woe smd exporter hopelessly broken for 6 years and counting' to get to this point, including working jigglebones, eyes moving (especially since the coords match, its easier to position eyes in Blender now, no need to qc_eyes) and face flexing... then something miraculous has happened. My favorite part is making bones that don't break animations!

Now I should get cracking on something new. I learned Blender 2.57 just for this ;)

That's awesome haha. Love Hsien-ko, she's a cutie.
  • Apocol0id
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    new_bolt.jpg

Is the bolt big enough now?

@Mad mike:

That looks pretty cool, However the texture on the top of the bullet makes it look like a crayon, either add more stokes or make the entire bullet one colour throughout.

Looks great! Bolt is perfect scale.
  • roninsmastermix
    sample3_by_rave8259-d3fevgc.jpg

A small update to show the different sides if the design. Input is always welcome.
  • Lamchop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I've been reading this forum for a while and have used some of the modeling tutorials here. I'm working on a hat right now, and I wanted to get some critiques and advice on what I have so far. The concept is a spanish conquistador helmet, or Morion helmet, for soldier.

I have two textures in the works as well,

Dark Metal:
    soldiermorion2.jpg
    http://img101.imageshack.us/i/soldiermorion2.jpg/

Light Metal:
    soldiermorion3.jpg
    http://img822.imageshack.us/i/soldiermorion3.jpg/

In game:
    morioningame.jpg
    http://img51.imageshack.us/i/morioningame.jpg/

I'm working in XSI, and I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone with experience in XSI would want to offer. I have one major problem, which is visible in the in-game picture. In-game, the bottom of the texture doesn't appear for reasons I don't understand. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Hey guys! Long time no see. I haven't touched Source in over half a year after moving to UDK and that paid off with the work I'm doing now.

However I now have free time :O So I played some TF2 and thought "Hang on, all these cool hats but nothing really that cool for the Pyro!?" so I thought I'd spend some time making hats for Pyro and see where it goes. In the end it's just for fun so lets start.

I made this real quick to get a pose but I'm undecided. At first it was going to be a red chilli cause the Pyro uses fire etc etc but I saw someone wearing a half cut red pepper on their head on TV and thought that looked neat too.

So can you help me out? Which is the best one? Remember this is just a quick model for posing. I'll remake it with the proper grooves and textures.

2rwros1.jpg
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi wrote: »
    So can you help me out? Which is the best one? Remember this is just a quick model for posing. I'll remake it with the proper grooves and textures.

You know, if you put a face on that thing, you might be able to sneak it in to the upcoming Plants vs. Zombies promo...

http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/Image:PvZ_jalapeno.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Hah that's freaky and almost too good timing. How long do I roughly have? I'll make that version as well.

Better angle.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2q0r0ci.jpg
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @p3r4app01: Got more of that now, mostly the dirt in the metal recesses.

@Robert E. Lee: The gleam is a product of the phong not being set up, at the moment I've changed it so the wood is totally matt since that's usually what I do to make the different materials stand out. It might get a little bit of shine for the varnish a bit later, but definitely less than in those shots.

@Barlim: Not really thought about it, it seems like if they were to use it the projectile would have more to do with whatever stats it got (beyond my control) and as far as a mod release goes the existing stickies both behave as balls so there's not a great deal you can do.

The alignment thing though, he does that with the other launchers, probably since the game's release. It's one of those things you don't really pick up on when the game is in motion but you do when picking something apart looking for bugs. Fixing it would bugger up the viewmodel placement so it's beyond my powers to fix.

@ComfyCushion: Seems interesting, maybe beef up the sights a little. You may run into clipping problems with the lever details but you're only going to find out if you build it.

@Sexy Robot: Cool hat, though the stretching looks a bit odd on the straw looks a bit weird. Maybe some playing with the UV map would help? The white medigun certainly stands out.

@Svdl: If you're going all out Patton you'll need his jacket... I'm liking old man heavy in the middle there.

@Mad Mike: The colours seem a bit solid right now, maybe add a bit of variation?

@ColonelBD: Yeah looks about right now.

@roninsmastermix: Ignoring the scope, you're adding a lot of weight having the drum as a solid chunk of metal. If you're going ahead with a 4 slot design I'd suggest reducing the drum diameter, it'll cut a lot of the apparent weight and make a big shift in width/height compared to the stock launcher.

@Habboi: Seems like the biggest one is the one that looks like it might stay on his head...

---

Got the red layers worked out now, and done a load more detailing, namely metal weathering, though that may get tweaked:

near_final_now_by_elbagast-d3ffyl0.png

Red view model in Sawmill
    Blue world model

The ammo box mounting pieces ended up getting tweaked to look more like metal since they were a bit odd as bright colours. I ended up rebaking the bolt handle AO too, it was bugging me a little.

This is probably at a stage where it's just cleaning up final niggles now, so I'll be rigging up the mod versions so I can see if anything jumps out at me in general use.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah that's freaky and almost too good timing. How long do I roughly have? I'll make that version as well.

Better angle.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2q0r0ci.jpg

Nobody really knows, yet, as there has been no announcement. Valve hid a couple of hats (a road cone for Pyro and a bucket for Soldier) from PvsZ in a recent update along with items related to SpaceChem (which was announced).

If I had to guess, I'd bet that Popcap games might have some sort of announcement (maybe a new version of the game or some DLC) to make this week (my money's on Tuesday, aka, tomorrow, since that's when most retailers release new products), and Valve added them early so that they don't have to do a separate update for them. I highly doubt you'd have time to make those changes before the release, but I wish you good luck if you try.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    just something I'm working on. Did someone else do something similar? I sware i remember seeing a tribal weapon before here. club01.jpg
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And as it turns out, the last ref image i selected was none other than Ruskeydoo! haha nice blog you have man. There is one real talented man with all his real life creations and deserve credit. Here's his blog http://www.willsegerman.com/index.html worthy of visiting.

• Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast: I'm surprised I never noticed that about the Demoman's gun alignment before, but it's not a big deal in the end.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    Anyone have some Photoshop tips on how to make my textures actually seem like they're fitting it with the other TF2 weapons?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    oobersli wrote: »
    just something I'm working on. Did someone else do something similar? I sware i remember seeing a tribal weapon before here. club01.jpg
    There were at least two wood and tooth typed weapons that cropped up during the competition. Not that that's any reason for you not to have a crack at one. Your design is looking pretty nice, though maybe a simple carved or painted decoration on the wooden part might be nice.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2011050200003h.jpg
    2011050200005.jpg
    postalpummeler2.jpg
    running out of altercations and improvements. anyone got any crits before i finalize?
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    postalpummeler2.jpg
    running out of altercations and improvements. anyone got any crits before i finalize?

I would just add a little more color variants. In the viewmodel, you might want to make the edges stand out a little more, maybe change some smoothing groups.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »
    I would just add a little more color variants. In the viewmodel, you might want to make the edges stand out a little more, maybe change some smoothing groups.

thanks for the feedback, though i am not sure exactly how i could vary the colors more in the texture(ive been trying to use similar colors to the ullapool caber). Also an tips on the smoothing groups would be appreciated(i used an edge split modifier in blender)
  • roninsmastermix
    fourthsample_by_rave8259-d3fgwhm.jpg

last update for the day. Dropped the laser pointer idea. Also shown a comparison shot of the regular nade. just need to decide on which scope to use
  • ggrenade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hockey Gear WIP
    WIP_4.jpg
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    itemtest0000.jpg
    thumb.jpg

Contributed this a week or so ago, it's named The Dream Crusher
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    seems quite similiar to a Macuahuitl

essentially a wooden paddle with prismatic obsidian blades on the sides
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Pogo wrote: »
    itemtest0000.jpg
    thumb.jpg

Contributed this a week or so ago, it's named The Dream Crusher
    Combination dream catcher and ice skate?
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Does anyone know if this has been done yet?

24vs41h.jpg

Might attempt it after the pepper.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know if this has been done yet?

Might attempt it after the pepper.

I don't think I've seen one like that before.

You could call it The Poacher. :)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Hehe that's a neat name. I was originally gonna make this for Pyro but googled to see if anyone had made this and two people suggested a birds nest for sniper as an idea.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback, though i am not sure exactly how i could vary the colors more in the texture(ive been trying to use similar colors to the ullapool caber). Also an tips on the smoothing groups would be appreciated(i used an edge split modifier in blender)

I am not exactly sure how smoothing groups work in blender, but if you send me the model I'll take a look at it.
  • Nzdjh
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nzdjh wrote: »
    Made a conquistador helmet. I think it turned out pretty well.

Looks nice!, but looks a bit similar to the one that was submitted to Medieval though...
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Combination dream catcher and ice skate?

Exactly
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Finished it up and submitted. Added a little jiggle to the green part to make it more interesting. I called it "Devil's Spice" cause it looks like devil horns at certain angles. Someone said I should make a fruit / veg selection for each class. I'm not going to but makes you wonder which veg / fruit would suit who.

25tf4w7.png

I'll attempt the bird nest next weekend.