Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so im thinking about going in for the submit tomorrow, so if you wanna say something than speak now or forever hold your peace. also @Elbagast that looks beastly :poly121:
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Is anyone seeing all this Portal 2 stuff? Valve is pretty smart.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »

indeed they are though it seems nowhere near enough people are playing to get the meter up >_>
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, hopefully once people get off of work and stuff, that the bar starts going up fast.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that would be nice but if it doesn't at least the game is coming in a few days anyways
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »

Would you mind explaining?
    I don't know if I have seen what you are speaking of or not.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Top blog Redsheep: http://www.thinkwithportals.com/blog.php

edit: now its the second.
  • SachenMacher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhm, hey. I´m still looking for someone who makes the Texture for my Hat. I already tried to make the texture myself, but it looks badly. I really dont want the hat to fail on the texture. I decided to show it off right here........thoughts? comments? critics? i appreciate every post about it.

picture18q0x.png

picture2wo7w.png

wireframe1s09.png

medic_2tt6g.png

The Request for the Texture is still up.....i would be much obliged if someone would help me.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, you have way to many edge loops there man! Try to reduce the polycount. As for the texture, do you know how to unwrap a model?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Also think you need more to make it stand out. Like a buckly/strap or something. More shape, but fewer polys.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uggg this new update somehow messed up the testitem command.....its now itemtest and it doesnt wanna work >:(
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uggg this new update somehow messed up the testitem command.....its now itemtest and it doesnt wanna work >:(
    I just came here to mention this... loading a model does nothing, and if you then try to touch the resupply cabinet, the game crashes. *shrug*

Just got this new model compiled. Now that they've added the Styles, I think I'll make another version with the mask over his eyes (it would clip with the party phantom, but I'm hoping players would rather chose not to do that). I also will probably add a very tight jigglebone to the snorkel tube so it bobs a little.
    8vctd.png

I'm having a minor issue with the model viewer, though... now that I've made the model paintable, if i set $color2 to something to test it out, HLMV tints the entire texture that color, ignoring my alpha layer. This doesn't happen in-game, so it's just the MV... not the first bug I've had in it, honestly, but it's annoying.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Haha, that scuba mask is hilarious. Not sure about the model viewer problem, though.

Here's the start of a "drubbing cane," intended for sniper. Haven't unwrapped yet because I think it needs a bit more interest to the model... just haven't decided what to do yet! It's unoptimized, just shy of 2k tris, and I'm okay with that. Huntsman is 6k...

cane0.jpg
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick question for those who have submitted stuff before: do you get like a confirmation or something that you have uploaded your files because i did all the required stuff, hit submit and i was just sent back to the "In order to begin the submission process, we need to determine your SteamID so we can properly credit the submission to you. Please enter your SteamCommunity URL below." page. did my stuff upload successfully or did something go wrong?

a little clarification. i mean like after you hit the submit button does a page load with something like "your item has been uploaded successfully" or something like that
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Damm! I'm having the same problem, I Woud test my new hat, but I Couldn't due to this problem.
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick question for those who have submitted stuff before: do you get like a confirmation or something that you have uploaded your files because i did all the required stuff, hit submit and i was just sent back to the "In order to begin the submission process, we need to determine your SteamID so we can properly credit the submission to you. Please enter your SteamCommunity URL below." page. did my stuff upload successfully or did something go wrong?

You did it correctly and They Will not send any confirmation to you.
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, Here is my new hat for Sniper, It's a kind of stealth hat. I Coudn't test it in game yet.

camouflage.jpg
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the reply i was a little worried. also nice idea i think the flower really adds to it
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Manuca, I liked it a lot better without the flower.

Also there is a confirmation page. It says "Success! Your item was contributed." or something like that. After you click SUBMIT it does bring you to page asking for your community page ID and after you put it in again it will bring you to the success page. I'm not sure if it's necessary to even do that though.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Wait... so if you don't put it in again there is a chance it didn't get submitted? I wish we knew 100%, because I thought that was just returning me to the original page. So... I guess there's no knowing whether anything actually got submitted...

... though I do have the submit.php?success=1 in my history. I guess that's reassuring.
  • SachenMacher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok wow, most active forum i´ve ever been on. Yes i know how to unwrap. Ok, i´ll do what you told me, the model actually has too many polys. 990. Thanks for your posts!

@Manuca I like that hat alot. I would wear it over any oher Sniper-hat, it fits a Sniper so well :O
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vrav: If you're worried that it didn't go through, you can always email them to find out, or just submit again with a note that you weren't sure. I emailed Robin about submitting another copy of something once and he said it was cool, he'd just replace the first one with my new one.

EDIT: My model viewer is so messed up... here's the alternate version of the snorkel with it down, in-game:
    0usuz.png

And here's what it looks like in the model viewer (sans team color since it's paintable):
    YxIHP.png

I... don't even know. There's nothing extraneous in the scene that might be causing that, and anyhow it looks fine in-game, so I'm just assuming my HLMV is borked. Is there any way to delete HLMV's cache? I've tried a few times but can't seem to get it to work.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK i think ill try again just to make sure. Also i gotta say i still like the flower, it makes it a less serious and more humerus item which fits well with tf2 imo. though if you don't like it thats fine too its just might be me.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @barlim
    go file -> unload model...
    that should clear the second goggle
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Has anyone figured out what they changed in the materials?

All of a sudden I saw people running around with missing textures, then realized they were some of my hats that I had made as replacements (for testing). The skins worked fine before the update, now pink/black checkers.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok did it and got a "THANKS! Your submission was processed successfully." screen, i wonder if that made a difference. if so valve should really make it clearer that you need to input your steam id page again because otherwise items people think they submitted might not actually have been submitted.
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pogo: lmao, I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks. I'm still getting the painting bug, but I can live with that.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    Manuca that thing is fantastic! I love the idea so much! I think it stands out a little too much or something right now, it just doesn't sit quite right with me yet but with a little work I'll be wearing it!
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Manuca i think it would work better if the flower was moved from the brim of the hat to were all the other vegetation is
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Manuca: I really love that sniper hat, would definitely top any other existing one for me. Though the flower kind of throws me off. I hate to say it, but I think it may be better to trash the flower altogether.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Flower as an optional style!? The possibilities are endless, now!
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav wrote: »
    Flower as an optional style!? The possibilities are endless, now!
    Make the flower a separate item that can be added to the hat. People who want flowers will be lining up to buy it!

I do agree that the flower stands out a bit much, but I think maybe if it were lowered down a bit it could work better. I love the hat, though... it's like a ghillie suit hat, but more stylized.
  • FrEaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ruKiq.png

This has already been submitted.

Here is the RED teams version, I would show the blue but can not figure out how to switch the skin for it in HLMV while on the medic.

This is also my first time modeling.
  • SachenMacher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does this even have a Texture?
  • FrEaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes its a neutral color though to match his coat. The blue version matches his pants since I could not get a color to match his coat.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    e47e0dcc321fca4efb4ff204e8d36fcc.png

More WIP stuff.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im thinking of doing a glass shard shank for the spy, do any of you know if this has been done before?
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DoughnutBear: As long as there isn't a glass shard in-game, then go for it!
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the last update of the hat Rada and I are working on.

soldierromelegionairepa.jpg

This img doesn't show the last version (the crest color looks a bit washed out), but HLMV is not working for me at the moment... it's painting the whole hat :S
    screenshotso.jpg

Any comments/suggestions? I've been staring at it for quite a bit, I just need fresh opinions :poly124:
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Down with the flower haters, I say keep it! Looks good Manuca
  • Tehrasha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha polycounter lvl 11
    Keep the flower. I think it fits the skewed humor of TF2.
  • Larate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the flower, but it shouldn't be on the bill of the hat. IT's too front-heavy as it is. I would swap the place of one of the smaller grass areas with the flower.
  • FrEaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jzeeba Nice! The red and blue tops really work for it!
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, thanks for all opinions,

I decided to make two versions of the camouflage hat, The first one is the version shown previously but with the suggestions of @Doughnut Bear and @Larate (I will post soon), and the second version is this version on the pictures, I took of the flower, put some stones and changed the colors in order to match the colors of Dustbow, Goldrush, etc. I'm thinking of doing a snow style and a green vegatation style too.

camouflage_02.jpgcamouflage_02_ingame.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
    ninjaspy.png
    SS_2011_04_19%7E13-30-43.jpg

Screens and compiling by Pogo. Lovely help from the guy. Thanks again Pogo.

Seeing how this is the in-game shot, i think i should remodel the whole thing again. I don't like how the hood turns out and clips the neckline. (My bad since i can't compile it properly to see it in-game.) Another problem was that i made significant changes after baking the map which explains the funky lighting on the enblem. It was good for a first REAL try nonetheless.

I do need more input from you guys. Any suggestions for my version 2?
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im thinking of doing a glass shard shank for the spy, do any of you know if this has been done before?

Nice idea!
  • roninsmastermix
    Manuca wrote: »

I decided to make two versions of the camouflage hat, The first one is the version shown previously but with the suggestions of @Doughnut Bear and @Larate (I will post soon), and the second version is this version on the pictures, I took of the flower, put some stones and changed the colors in order to match the colors of Dustbow, Goldrush, etc. I'm thinking of doing a snow style and a green vegatation style too.

Finally! A decent hat for the class. I want one already.
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZeeba wrote: »
    Here's the last update of the hat Rada and I are working on.

This img doesn't show the last version (the crest color looks a bit washed out), but HLMV is not working for me at the moment... it's painting the whole hat :S
    screenshotso.jpg

Any comments/suggestions? I've been staring at it for quite a bit, I just need fresh opinions :poly124:

@JZeeba, this hat is really nice! even better fo medieval maps.
    I just think that some yellow bands are very thin, causing a noisy effect, especially those who are parallel to the chin, that kind of Chipped effects fits better on parts with thiker bands. You Could paint that whole edge of the chin (like you did with the back border) and add a few chipped effect. :)
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manuca wrote: »

looking good! you going to add some jiggle bones?
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be great! But I have no idea how to do it. I Could try with some help.