Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    61fed44a6ceb54417673c3688c6bbebb.png

I'm not really gonna contribute this, but hell. It's a TF2 model.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this was found in the game files, sad day not only do i think it looks bad but i feel kinda cheated.

250px-Bucket_o%27_Brains.png

Your hat is much better!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Sexy Robot wrote: »
    61fed44a6ceb54417673c3688c6bbebb.png

I'm not really gonna contribute this, but hell. It's a TF2 model.

A cremator? Makes me think of a TF2 where there are sub-classes or something. Cremator Pyro.
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    A cremator? Makes me think of a TF2 where there are sub-classes or something. Cremator Pyro.

I don't know, but it looks Fuc*king AWESOME!

(are we allowed to swear on this forum?)
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Elbagast wrote: »
    Is anybody else's model viewer doubling the strength of the phong shading? Pretty sure it wasn't doing that prior to the Hatless update...

@Doughnut Bear: Cool paintwork. the only thing bugging me at the moment is the angle of the lighting on the handle, seems like there may be something set wrong.

@Millenia: I'm going to echo the other guys, the technique on the texture looks good, but there's too much of it. I'd go for a bigger brush for some/all of the stroking and reduce the overall amount of stroking.

@JZeeba: Looking good, "Centurion's Cap" seems most appropriate given it's a Centurion's helmet, though if you like "Crocket Dominatus", shouldn't it be "Crocketus Dominatus"?

---

I've unwrapped my launcher and have been playing with colour schemes:

The first one pulls the colour from most ammo boxes, but no, just no. Olive drab, I have had my fill of thee. Also an army colour seems off for the demoman anyway.

Otherwise the some kind of teamcoloured scheme seems to be where I'm headed. I've not tested the ones with yellow in game yet so I don't know how garish they actually are, but there may be something there. Yellow definitely has associations with demolition and is already present on the Scottish Resistance.

As ever any comments welcome, I'm going to play around a bit more and get some ingame shots of these.

2 or 4 are my favorite, they don't stick out too much, and they are just pure awesome. Keep it up man!
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips everybody, does this look any better? 100% self illum.

diplomatv.jpg

I absolutely love it, contribute it. NOW!
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1866186

Saw this posted over on SPUF. Congrats to those who made it in!
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13

The first one pulls the colour from most ammo boxes, but no, just no. Olive drab, I have had my fill of thee. Also an army colour seems off for the demoman anyway.

Otherwise the some kind of teamcoloured scheme seems to be where I'm headed. I've not tested the ones with yellow in game yet so I don't know how garish they actually are, but there may be something there. Yellow definitely has associations with demolition and is already present on the Scottish Resistance.

As ever any comments welcome, I'm going to play around a bit more and get some ingame shots of these.

I'm liking the team colored magazine and lower from #7 but with the upper receiver and dark cover from #2.

Great work man, can't wait for the textures.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I wish this is not fake...

wait..... "Furious Fukaamigasa"??? could it be

itemtest0067.png

?????????

EDIT: hmmm but if the person that made the Heavy pack was contacted days ago it probably means they've already contacted the owners of those items, so not mine/Noors' xD
  • Sync
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey sweet, it's the black market heavy!
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    hey everyone i need help . im texturing my racoon fur hat and i really dont know how to make tf2 style fur.

I dont think im doing right.
    wat.jpg
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Okay, I submitted it. Let's hope this gets through :D

diplomat.jpg
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZeeba wrote: »
    I wish this is not fake...

wait..... "Furious Fukaamigasa"??? could it be

EDIT: hmmm but if the person that made the Heavy pack was contacted days ago it probably means they've already contacted the owners of those items, so not mine/Noors' xD

you're wrong there

i'm friends with some of the contributors for a few of the items in this big update. and they haven't had a heads-up yet

also in the public. your hat seems to be the only one that is exactly a fukaamigasa

what was the name you gave the hat when you submitted it?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Jigglebones don't work on TF2's standard non-testing bots do they?

UPDATE: turns out my fps was too low, so they all cut off under 42fps
  • nofacej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gunf.jpg
    With a brown leather strap on the reverse side.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats this about a big update?
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the translators have leaked some of the strings they're translating and they are item and set names full details are here:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27497027&postcount=9047
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    13 hats, 16 weapons, 2 new game modes, 2 new rarities, customisable textures, isotopes and 5 new unusual effects.

That's a huuuge update if it is one. Could it be for the beta?
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh cool! Congrats to everyone who is getting their stuff in :)
    Is that a full list or there any others?

Redone the smg to use the stickylauncher colours, I also tweaked the model slightly:

100illum.jpg

newtex.jpg
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast: I'd say number 2 but with a darker strap and possibly dark team-coloured mags of number 7 would be the best. I find the teamcolored ones way too bright. Also, if you decide to use yellow, I'd suggest keeping it as a detail, eg. stripes, rather than a solid colour. Excellent work right there.

@Millenia: That pistol looks really sweet, nice touch with that round receiver, makes it nicely unique.

@ColonelBD: It's looking good now. I'd suggest making mag the same colour as the main body of the gun, maybe a little darker, as well as toning down the scratches at the top of it. Add some edge wear and it'll be alright.

I also noticed an unusual effect called "Storm Cloud". Wasn't someone here making such a thing some time ago?

Now, about my hat. Unwrapped, baked the AO and laid base colours, mostly taken from the Sniper textures.

Night_Rider_v2_wip4.jpg

Night_Rider_v2_wip4a.jpg
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting the leaked stuff hasn't got any lines about all those medals they still haven't added...

If they wanted to screw with people's heads they could just put a weapon of type not listed in all that into the beta.

---

@pear: You want to do it in a way that looks like somebody painted it, if that makes any sense... So imagine how you would hand paint a texture that suggests what you have at the moment using a minimal colour palette.

@nofacej: I think you missed the part where I said I wouldn't be going green on this one. Doing olive drab on 7 out of 11 finished TF2 projects kinda makes you want to try other things... :poly142:

@ColonelBD: I'm liking the brushwork, though I still think the bolt handle could be a bit bigger, TF2 hands are beefy things.

@Mad Mike: Have you tried it on his head yet? I'm pretty sure the sniper's glasses aren't removable at the moment...

---

Interesting comments about the launcher. 3 was pretty much what was in my head building this, and it seems like nearly everyone prefers the hood to be a dark colour. Interesting that some like the yellow ammo box...you can see what it's like here. The team colours in these examples were definitely too bright. I did try a hazard-striped hood, but it looked like ass. Worse than ass in fact.

I tried out a load more variations based on a team-coloured ammo box and found that other team coloured weapons use darker tones of red and blue than on the example palette, so I pulled the ones from the flamethrower and liked what I saw:

probably_final_colours_by_elbagast-d3f9m61.png

This is probably the scheme I'm going to go with for now, the team tones are dark enough to not feel toy-ish and contrast the main gun parts better than a neutral brown does. Some of the other colours will probably get minor tweaks later, possibly a darker leather for the strap or lightening the barrel colour.

Anyway feel free to tell me I've made a terrible mistake.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the color scheme you picked looks great.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is anybody else's model viewer doubling the strength of the phong shading? Pretty sure it wasn't doing that prior to the Hatless update...

@Doughnut Bear: Cool paintwork. the only thing bugging me at the moment is the angle of the lighting on the handle, seems like there may be something set wrong.

@Millenia: I'm going to echo the other guys, the technique on the texture looks good, but there's too much of it. I'd go for a bigger brush for some/all of the stroking and reduce the overall amount of stroking.

@JZeeba: Looking good, "Centurion's Cap" seems most appropriate given it's a Centurion's helmet, though if you like "Crocket Dominatus", shouldn't it be "Crocketus Dominatus"?

---

thanks,i have been having a feeling that the lighting is slightly off. do you have any recommendations on how to fix this because i am at a loss >_>
  • nofacej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll admit I didn't read your post; I just assumed that since you had a version with green in it you weren't opposed to it. My main reason for suggesting a change of the top to green was to add some visual interest. It's the most prominent surface in the first person view, and what you have now really blends together with the rest of the gun's body into one solid grey mass. Doubly so in the first person view, which - at least to me - is an absolute travesty given the quality of the model. If you stick with the dark hood I think you need to lighten the body beneath it to get some contrast happening.

I definitely suggest going ahead with changing the strap to a darker brown, and I'd do the same to the grips.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doughnut Bear: There's something you can try: if you're using the QC of a decompiled model as the basis for your own then you need to correct the illumposition value, the decompiler screws the numbers up. An example from my current one from the Scottish Resistance:

//$illumposition 9.068 -1.857 -1.004
    $illumposition -1.857 -9.068 -1.004

The first line is the decompiled line, commented out, the second is the corrected version required to recompile a model with the same illumposition as the original. The transform is

$illumposition x y z

becomes

$illumposition y -x z

Not adjusting this can do truly weird things to the lighting (how I first noticed it), though I honestly have no clue how valve come up with the values and there's no documentation. It seems like it might be the center of a model's volume or something.

@nofacej: Yeah I get what you mean, I did actually lighten the mid grey tone that makes up most of the gun a little bit (though probably barely noticeable at this point). I'll play around with the contrast between those components along with the brown tones, it feels like it should be easier to nail them with some of the colours decided.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Looks really nice Elbagast! You're missing the darker and lighter toned squares on the texture though.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    Ah crap!
    I just remembered I didn't send the Luchador Paint variants to it's creator.
    Bollocks!
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyke wrote: »
    you're wrong there

i'm friends with some of the contributors for a few of the items in this big update. and they haven't had a heads-up yet

also in the public. your hat seems to be the only one that is exactly a fukaamigasa

what was the name you gave the hat when you submitted it?

Yeah, I asked around and realised many item creators have not been contacted, but my post was before asking around hehe.

I'm bad at coming up with names for hats, so that one was submitted just as the "Asian Mercenary"
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Why can't I see this thread? Did it get shut down by admins?
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Ah crap!
    I just remembered I didn't send the Luchador Paint variants to it's creator.
    Bollocks!

It's never too late to have it added in before the update!
  • roninsmastermix
    Why can't I see this thread? Did it get shut down by admins?

Yes it was shut down. Even more proof that its is a genuine leak. Hold on to you hats folks.

I figured that TF2 would have had a ton of updates had it not been for portal 2's impending launch. I know they have separate teams working on the games but it really seems to show they are all under one management.
  • roninsmastermix
    the_cobra_by_rave8259-d3faqzv.jpg

Demo grenade launcher replacement i'm working on. Calling it "The Cobra"

Based losely on a scoped Smith and Wesson revolver. used the c model launcher as base. Did i use the right model? Suggestions and tips are more than welcome.
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skizot polycounter lvl 18
    GXEKuSo

R13 designed. Skizot modelled.
  • Larate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast That looks fantastic as is and I wouldn't change it(aside from detailing the current color scheme) It's like the same color as a sentry or something.

@Skizot Haha, when I was little, I used to put my hand between the grips on the F-Clamp and use it like a sword. I'd like to see something like that.
  • roninsmastermix
    the_cobra_by_rave8259-d3faqzv.jpg

Demo grenade launcher replacement i'm working on. Calling it "The Cobra"

Based losely on a scoped Smith and Wesson revolver. used the c model launcher as base. Did i use the right model? Suggestions and tips are more than welcome.

I was looking for references for this grenade launcher replacement im working on and found these that i really like:

hires_Samaritan_Compilation.jpg

C-Rhino.jpg

big-gun01.jpg

And as it turns out, the last ref image i selected was none other than Ruskeydoo! haha nice blog you have man. There is one real talented man with all his real life creations and deserve credit. Here's his blog http://www.willsegerman.com/index.html worthy of visiting.

Anyway, i will update soon with significant changes on my design.
  • roninsmastermix
    the_cobra_sample_2_by_rave8259-d3fbwxu.jpg

3 hours of progress. Adding a sniper laser pointer later and bridging the scope and gun. Also trying so hard make it NOT look like Elbagest's sticky launcher. (It's just too influencial design-wise, true awesomeness.)
  • Communist Cake
    itburnsus.PNG

So I'm working on a Cthulhu mask for the Pyro. I'm not really sure how to make the texture look though. Any suggestions or ideas on what to do?

Also, it comes it two parts, a skull and the tentacles.
    420praisecdthulhuerryda.png
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZeeba wrote: »
    Yeah, I asked around and realised many item creators have not been contacted, but my post was before asking around hehe.

I'm bad at coming up with names for hats, so that one was submitted just as the "Asian Mercenary"

Well, when they added my Whoopee Cap a while back, I was never contacted beforehand, and now it looks like the Pocket Medic will be in the upcoming update, which I modeled. I haven't received any notice about that, either, so I'd say you're right.

Also, Congrats to everyone else who's having their items added!
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast:
    That looks really cool! I didn't really expect the team colours to work, but I was wrong I guess, although the red looks a bit brownish though.

All side shots of the smg:
    allsides.jpg

I didn't get which part elbagast said to enlarge. Did he mean the actual bolt, or the part which connects the bolt to the main gun?
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrillho wrote: »
    Well, when they added my Whoopee Cap a while back, I was never contacted beforehand, and now it looks like the Pocket Medic will be in the upcoming update, which I modeled. I haven't received any notice about that, either, so I'd say you're right.

Also, Congrats to everyone else who's having their items added!

Yeah, I'm glad I could let people see who's stuff got in before the thread was shut down, haha.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    hey funny, Communist Cake, i made a poor attempt at pyro chtulu a while back (before that octopus hat)
    pyro_chtulu.jpg
    I won't do the model though, so i just drop that here if it can gives you ideas. I still think it's a good idea.
    Reminds me that now the entire pyro head could be changed, greedo has its chance !
    greedo.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice guys! keep it up!
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes it was shut down. Even more proof that its is a genuine leak. Hold on to you hats folks.

I figured that TF2 would have had a ton of updates had it not been for portal 2's impending launch. I know they have separate teams working on the games but it really seems to show they are all under one management.
    Hey, if that NeoGAF post is accurate there's going to be a hat called "Villain's Veil", you don't think that's your Spy Ninja Hood is it?
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, did he contribute it before the leak?

While were speculating, I noticed that the beta syringe gun was going official with the name the "overdose", do you think this could be it:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2126504/medic/theoverdose.png
    its from Y_Ms polypack entry.
  • roninsmastermix
    Hey, if that NeoGAF post is accurate there's going to be a hat called "Villain's Veil", you don't think that's your Spy Ninja Hood is it?

Boy i would kill to have my hat in the game. But just submitted it yesterday. That can't be mine. And named mine Helljumper's Hood or Sinister Shinobi.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hype about this leak needs to go away, without knowing how long before an update they've added stuff to the STS with prior updates we can't really guess how far away it is. The Jag was in the game files for months before implementation.

---

@nordahl154: That's just establishing the base colours, I've got most of the detailing done now.

@Communist Cake: Seems like maybe a full head replacement would work, it would allow you to play with the gas mask filter position.

@roninsmastermix: The barrel shape looks like it has potential, but would the scope really be necessary? That's going to add a lot of extra bulk...and make little sense on a grenade launcher due to the ballistic arc.

@Skizot: Seems a bit on the weedy side for a weapon..

@ColonelBD: The bolt handle is the bit that sticks out the left side of the gun and moves back and forward every time a bullet is fired, it needs to look like it can be used easily since it's whole purpose is to manually cock the gun.

---

Have some texture progress, I've not started on the red version yet:

texture_progress_by_elbagast-d3fcing.png

Ingame viewmodel
    Ingame worldmodel

Things are going to get tweaked but it's shaping up, you can see the tone changes though.
  • roninsmastermix
    The hype about this leak needs to go away, without knowing how long before an update they've added stuff to the STS with prior updates we can't really guess how far away it is. The Jag was in the game files for months before implementation.

---

@nordahl154: That's just establishing the base colours, I've got most of the detailing done now.

@Communist Cake: Seems like maybe a full head replacement would work, it would allow you to play with the gas mask filter position.

@roninsmastermix: The barrel shape looks like it has potential, but would the scope really be necessary? That's going to add a lot of extra bulk...and make little sense on a grenade launcher due to the ballistic arc.

@Skizot: Seems a bit on the weedy side for a weapon..

@ColonelBD: The bolt handle is the bit that sticks out the left side of the gun and moves back and forward every time a bullet is fired, it needs to look like it can be used easily since it's whole purpose is to manually cock the gun.

---

Have some texture progress, I've not started on the red version yet:

Ingame viewmodel
    Ingame worldmodel

Things are going to get tweaked but it's shaping up, you can see the tone changes though.

Thanks for the input. I was actually betting the scope to be the distiguishing factor of the launcher. I may however need to make it smaller or less bulky. Man, im loving your sticky launcher so far. the details are really coming together.
  • p3r4app01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    needs wear/scratches
  • Octocat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress, custom paint!

b07d4fab-370b-482e-ad6e-58ea6cad0c34.jpg
    b9840d3c-6631-4730-a32e-d86d58aeca9f.jpg
    bfdd1c16-fac1-45d2-a571-c4f2f449993c.jpg
    c35cb73e-8f97-4f55-83fb-5cd0796e1674.jpg

Need to add jigglebones, better texture and it's done! Btw, what do you think about the mustache being symetrical? I edited a bit the mesh to give a kind of "natural" feeling and not something to perfect/symetric, but maybe it's not really good... What do you think is the best?